Toaplan games getting console ports by M2 in 2020

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
heli

Re: Toaplan games getting console ports by M2 in 2020

Post by heli »

6t8k wrote:bring them to consoles beginning in 2020.
Begin in 2020 : 2 januari ?
Beginning in 2020 : mid-december.
dingsbums

Post by dingsbums »

I have nearly all Toaplan PCBs I wanted (I recently aquired the last Toaplan PCB on my want list - Ghox) and it's great to hear the games finally get ports.
I really hope Genkai Chousen Distopia gets ported as well - that would be the best bonus ever.
And come on M2 - Make Tatsujin / Truxton 3 a reality :)
https://twitter.com/Madstalker80
Skykid wrote: Get ready for the big bad world to fuck you up the ass in ways you never believed possible.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

BIL wrote:There's a great Uemura/Yuge interview translated at Gamengai (Toaplan Forever), which I unfortunately can't seem to link to ATM...
I wanna read this. You have FAILED

j/k, site is down it seems
BIL

Post by BIL »

Haha, yeah - GP has a busy schedule as the forum's Jesus/John Lennon, so I didn't wanna bug him. I'm sure he'll sort it out. I'll see if I can find something cached in the meantime though. It's a great interview, Uemura (IIRC... have to admit it could've been him, Yuge or both) talks about his high regard for Banpresto's stuff, and the company's subsequent cold feet at a potential legal shelling. Shame, that "Vol.1" and Batsugun's similarly optimistic tagline will always haunt a little!

EDIT: ah, here we are (site's back up for me). I'd misremembered, it was Gazelle's work being discussed. I guess Banpresto only published those ports.
Page 4 wrote:Iona: What happened to Toaplan's copyrights when it went under?

Uemura: It's a gray area, even now. It seems the CEO made a couple of gentlemen's agreements... He said they were sold to Gazelle and Eighting, but it's unknown whether they went through the legal procedures or not. After Toaplan I did some work with a magazine. It was quite a while afterward when questions about the copyrights started coming in. I did some research but found nothing on paper that specifically states who owns what. I thought that Gazelle and Eighting, the company that manufactured the custom chip, had them all.

Iona: After all, Gazelle developed Batsugun and Toaplan Shooting Battle.

Uemura: We didn't just put those out there, but actually put them out under the assumption that we owned the copyright. After that we talked about wanting to do older titles with Scitron and others, but we didn't know exactly how to proceed and decided we shouldn't mess with something so dangerous. When I was at Cave and we started the mobile phone shooting site, we wanted to put out some older Toaplan titles and did a lot of research but once again decided against it.

Iona: Copyrights lead to dire situations?

Uemura: There's that, and you have no idea how long afterward a claim might come.
Page 5 wrote:[The End of Gazelle Was More Dramatic Than Toaplan]

Iona: Did Gazelle have any plans to port other Toaplan games?

Uemura: Well, it was titled Shooting Battle 1, after all (laughs).

Iona: Anyone would assume there would be a 2.

Uemura: I think that was the plan, yes.

Iona: And they only put out one arcade shooter.

Uemura: Akuu Galette. That was made by the staff that I brought from Toaplan.

Iona: Did the same team develop the Toaplan console ports?

Uemura: No. There was a different team that handled the console game line, but even then the same people didn't make Batsugun and Toaplan Shooting Battle. They were all fantastic technicians. They basically copied the game over exactly like it was.

Iona: So the ports weren't in fact made by Toaplan using techniques and knowledge gained on previous Toaplan projects.

Uemura: It was mostly done with emulation, and done well, so even the most hardcore will be pleased with it.

Iona: And then Gazelle, too, ended...
Last edited by BIL on Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

I don't have much to add but this is just such awesome news. Us shmup fans don't get a lot of good news but this is one of those items that just warms the heart. M2 for the Nobel!!
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

When I read this news... I cheered out loud.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

@Despatche / BIL: interesting stuff! Some of those puzzle pieces I did not piece together / was not aware of before.
And now I recall too having heard that aspect about the legal situation, which was unclear (even to them) to the extent that it suppressed initiative for the longest time.

@heli: In other words, it just means they aim for releasing the first game (sometime) in 2020, but it's not excluded that it could extend to 2021+ until they're done with the series :)
elvis

Post by elvis »

elvis wrote:I'd like to see a "Toaplan Ultimate Collection" on console.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29524&p=541745&hili ... an#p541745

Only took a decade.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Despatche wrote:
6t8k wrote:This page from TATSUJIN Inc. web presence suggests that they indeed do not have the rights ("We can handle a number of titles [...] Available titles:" [GT]). My guess would be that M2 would have to get the license from Taito, but I don't know if they actually did that (so far).
The recent news are only speaking of TATSUJIN Inc.
I'm not really sure what happened, but the story seems to go like this:

-At some point the rights to at least most of these games ended up at that "new" Toaplan founded by the original Toaplan's CEO or whatever. It used to be called Arena and did non-game things. A few years back it renamed itself Toaplan and licensed out the music to SuperSweep to do that giant Toaplan Shooting Chronicle album. Or something.

-More recently a company called Tatsujin has appeared and seemingly has gained control over all that old IP. They still talk to the new Toaplan about... something legal-related... but they also seem to actually administrate all this IP now. This is probably why Game Tengoku credits both Tatsujin and Toaplan.

-This is really key because Masahiro Yuge, one of the main Toaplan staff members, is behind Tatsujin (the company... as well as the game, of course). If I remember right this company has even expressed an interest in making new games, possibly using things like the Game Tengoku cameo and these M2 ports as an interest check.

-With the Tatsujin ship appearing in that Game Tengoku remaster, it's very likely Tatsujin owns all the Taito stuff too... and Toaplan may always have always owned the actual IP before, at least to an extent. Taito seemingly owned the rights only to distribute arcade versions at one point, as the home versions of Toaplan games pretty much never credit Taito.

-Kyukyoku Tiger II even specifically says "Taito (arcade game only)" in its copyright info. Does that mean Takumi owned the Tiger IP at one point? They took it over to Naxat to do the home port with seemingly no issue. Just like all the older Toaplan ports, Taito isn't credited at all in the home port of Tiger II, not on the packaging or in-game (maybe they're still in the credits or something).
This is all good information, thank you for this summary.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Update: on April 18, M2 shared new information during "Famitsu・Dengeki Game Awards 2019" livestream.

The following games were shown:
• Kyuukyoku Tiger (Twin Cobra)
• Tatsujin Oh (Truxton II)
• Hishouzame (Flying Shark/Sky Shark)
• Out Zone

I added the localized names only for recognition value, it's not meant as a hint that one will be able to choose between versions (although I'd appreciate that very much!). Horii added that they have more games running beyond what was shown.

For aforementioned reasons, I'm really happy that we got to see Hishouzame and Out Zone already. :) Furthermore, it seems Tatsujin Oh will get a "Super Easy" mode, which, this being a veritable boulder but otherwise inimitably awesome STG, could be quite attractive:

Personally I think something like an Arcade+/Arrange mode, similar to the way Esp.Ra.De. Ψ did it, would go really well with it. Something that improves the flow by bringing difficulty spikes and stagnation a little closer together. The scope of these ports - whether they'll receive familiar treatment in ShotTriggers style - is still not clear, but we can hope Image

It also looks like there still is no official information on how the ports will be bundled (or not), and for which consoles they will be released.
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

I presume these won't come west? Unless M2 finally decide to throw us a bone for once and I don't have to keep buying J-PSN codes...which isn't a bad thing but I want the damn convenience of being able to pay slightly less, not like these will likely be the same price point as their other stuff
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
Nate123

Post by Nate123 »

They tried but must be sales were too low to keep going with.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

In July+August issue of 'Nintendo Dream' magazine, it was published that Tatsujin Oh, Out Zone, Kyuukyoku Tiger and Hishouzame will be released on Switch. (source)

In an inconspicuous update, this article claims they will also come to the PS4, but so far I haven't been able to track down a more reputable source for that.
parodius

Post by parodius »

I hope that Kyuukyoku Tiger and Hishouzame will come with the FM-Towns soundtrack, so that I can stop looking for the elusive/overpriced original versions.

I would be surprised if PS4 wasn’t in the picture.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
SAM

Post by SAM »

I hope they won't make it digital download only. :roll: Otherwise we won't be able to import it.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Esprade sold out and then came back into stock on Playasia and Nin-nin-game, which implies there have been at least two print runs. I'd expect that's a pretty good showing for 20-year-old port of an arcade game. Same with the Darius collections, which have gotten several print runs. I wouldn't rule out a physical copy at all just yet.
SAM wrote:I hope they won't make it digital download only. :roll: Otherwise we won't be able to import it.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

parodius:
Yeah, a PS4 release seems pretty much a given considering previous ShotTriggers releases.

Speaking of soundtracks, I'm also hoping that there will be support for Tatsujin Oh's stereo soundtrack. It comfortably rested in the ROM for nearly 30 years, but the original hardware only supports mono output (you also won't get to hear it in MAME unless you compile it yourself). :[ Set it free at last!

SAM:
Cross-regional Nintendo eShop/PSN downloads are annoying but possible, if one is willing to jump through some hoops. That being said, as Jonpachi put it, I think there's a fair chance for a physical release. If not by M2 themselves, then maybe by someone like Limited Run Games or Strictly Limited Games. :)
heli

Post by heli »

Ofcourse there will be a physical release!
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

heli wrote:Ofcourse there will be a physical release!
Not necessarily.
Dangun, Sorcer Striker etc. didnt.
FRO

Post by FRO »

ATTRACTS wrote:
Not necessarily.
Supposedly, Limited Run Games is working on trying to secure both for limited release. Not holding my breath, but being cautiously optimistic.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

FRO wrote:
ATTRACTS wrote:
Not necessarily.
Supposedly, Limited Run Games is working on trying to secure both for limited release. Not holding my breath, but being cautiously optimistic.
Same! I'm ready.
CRP

Post by CRP »

ATTRACTS wrote:
Not necessarily.
But hardly anyone played those in the arcades when they were young in the west.

With Twin Cobra, Flying Shark and mayby Out Zone alot of ppl have played those back in the day, there is surely a larger market for those games then the previous shottrigger rls's.
Im betting on they will get a western digi release and also a physical bundelpack with those 4 games on it.
SAM

Post by SAM »

Toaplan Shooting Battle 2: Hishouzame, Same! Same! Same! & Fire shark.

Like this? Would be released on... hmmm.... PSOne?
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

ATTRACTS wrote:
Not necessarily.
If lrg released physical of these I would buy them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
heli

Post by heli »

Those spammers limited run games are located in USA, i prefer SLG from germany.

Batsugun is a very nice game, the others you mentioned are more of the 16-bit type, cant ask 60 euro for those.
SLC

Post by SLC »

Is some sort of compilation really out of the question? :?
With how much they predate the other M2 ports it seems sensible, unless they get the full works like ESP Ra.De. did
FRO

Post by FRO »

heli wrote:Those spammers limited run games are located in USA, i prefer SLG from germany.

Batsugun is a very nice game, the others you mentioned are more of the 16-bit type, cant ask 60 euro for those.
Sure you can, if the port is meticulous, includes practice modes and is feature rich, and includes other things, like an alternate OST, or new modes, or possibly console version(s) as a bonus. I would gladly pay a premium price for a premium port that gives us the kind of accuracy that will allow me to play the game in an essentially arcade perfect manner, while also including the quality of life features that make learning these games much more efficient.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

FRO wrote:
heli wrote:Those spammers limited run games are located in USA, i prefer SLG from germany.

Sure you can, if the port is meticulous, includes practice modes and is feature rich, and includes other things, like an alternate OST, or new modes, or possibly console version(s) as a bonus. I would gladly pay a premium price for a premium port that gives us the kind of accuracy that will allow me to play the game in an essentially arcade perfect manner, while also including the quality of life features that make learning these games much more efficient.
Agreed. M2 seems to do that with their releases so we should be set. I'll be honest. I'd rather pay $60 per game for these features than $60 for a 4 pack with just good emulation.

That's just me though.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

^
You said it! Me personally, the $60 I spent on these games will be money well spent. I'll play them over and over again. However for most triple A games, once the game is finished, I rarely go back and play it again. Which is why I rarely buy triple A anymore.
Marc

Post by Marc »

FRO wrote:

You can, but good luck selling more than ten copies of them.
At that price point, anyone that isn't reallyinto their shooters is going to scroll right on by, and purchase one of the similar-looking Arcade Archive shooters at a tenth of the price.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell