Super Muscle Bomber on the CPS 2

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
awbacon

Super Muscle Bomber on the CPS 2

Post by awbacon »

https://youtu.be/cEljGQyTgGI

This one is one I'd be really curious to see who else played, as it's such a fun if slightly confusing game. It's a wrestling game and a sequel to Muscle Bomber, but for some reason Capcom isolated the wrestlers to a 2D plane for the sequel, giving it a quasi-Street Fighter feel to it.

Since it was never ported it's only playable on an original CPS 2 (played this with my Darksoft multi) or via emulation. One of the few CPS 2 games never to get a home port of any kind.

I do miss these arcade wrestling games for sure.
Jonny2x4

Re: Super Muscle Bomber on the CPS 2

Post by Jonny2x4 »

awbacon wrote:It's a wrestling game and a sequel to Muscle Bomber, but for some reason Capcom isolated the wrestlers to a 2D plane for the sequel, giving it a quasi-Street Fighter feel to it.
It was made during a period when Capcom were branching out their fighting game formula into other IPs and themes once they were done revamping Street Fighter II for the nth time. X-Men and Darkstalkers were both release during the same year and Cyberbots (which I think came out a year later) was pretty similar to Super Muscle Bomber in the sense that it used characters from a belt-scroller (in this case, Armored Warriors) in a fighting game format.

I can understand why Capcom did it, but part of me wishes they had kept the wrestling game format from the original and Duo. There were too many FTGs back then and not enough arcade wrestling games. Probably the reason why Super Muscle Bomber felt under the radar.
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

I agree. I miss the "3D" movement of Muscle Bomber. Made it feel much more like a proper wrestling game
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

I'll give them credit for one thing though. They actually used Tetsuo Hara's art in-game in Super Muscle Bomber. The arcade version of the original only used his stuff for promotional purposes.