I recommend this HDMI Equipment for OSSC + 4K60 18Gbps

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Wolf_

Re: I recommend this HDMI Equipment for OSSC + 4K60 18Gbps

Post by Wolf_ »

DirkSwizzler wrote:I thought ARC was limited in audio formats. Like only 2 channel stereo or something like that.
Pretty sure that is spdif. ARC should send everything hdmi can.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Wolf_ wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote:I thought ARC was limited in audio formats. Like only 2 channel stereo or something like that.
Pretty sure that is spdif. ARC should send everything hdmi can.
SPDIF caps out at 5.1 I think. I'll have to look into arc a bit more
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

No, but some TVs will only pass audio through as 2ch when it originates from external sources as opposed to built in apps/tuner
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

From what I've read, regular ARC is limited to what TOSLINK can typically support; so 24bit/96kHz 2-channel PCM or Dolby-/DTS-encoded 5.1. eARC should be able to pass high-bitrate stuff, like uncompressed surround, Atmos, and DTS:X. If there are TVs that will only send back stereo, then that's a problem with those TVs.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Wolf_ wrote:Just a heads up but many modern tvs (Including the super affordable tcl models that have a great but not very bright picture and under a frame of lag) have hdmi arc ports on them and you can run your hdmi directly from your hdmi switch to the tv and then use the arc port to pass just the audio on to your receiver. Then just make sure your tv is set to use arc for audio.
https://youtu.be/bMB8979lPNA

This way you only need to worry about your tv, your hdmi switch, and your 2 hdmi cables when you check to see if things are working. Considering the witchcraft that hdmi standardization is I strongly suggest eliminating as many devices as possible from your chain because even if it is only a hdmi splitter to copy the input into a second hdmi line out it could still not process certain signals or some voodoo.

Also the largest 4k@60hz hdmi switch I've found so far is this 8 port one, and it has an option to disable autoswitching which I absolutely insist upon in all my equipment because of the nightmare of resolution changes in some games causing multiple second long blackouts when autoswitch mode loses the signal for a split second and then tries to find it again (even more so when the ossc has to process the change and god help you if you have an xrgb mini or something worse)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HLR9QGV

And at the end of October 2019 I've been told this 16 port 4k@60hz hdmi switch will be coming out:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YJMXM8J
For those of us that already split the audio directly to a receiver (like in the OP) ARC wouldn't be beneficial though.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

ldeveraux wrote:
Wolf_ wrote:Just a heads up but many modern tvs (Including the super affordable tcl models that have a great but not very bright picture and under a frame of lag) have hdmi arc ports on them and you can run your hdmi directly from your hdmi switch to the tv and then use the arc port to pass just the audio on to your receiver. Then just make sure your tv is set to use arc for audio.

This way you only need to worry about your tv, your hdmi switch, and your 2 hdmi cables when you check to see if things are working. Considering the witchcraft that hdmi standardization is I strongly suggest eliminating as many devices as possible from your chain because even if it is only a hdmi splitter to copy the input into a second hdmi line out it could still not process certain signals or some voodoo.

Also the largest 4k@60hz hdmi switch I've found so far is this 8 port one, and it has an option to disable autoswitching which I absolutely insist upon in all my equipment because of the nightmare of resolution changes in some games causing multiple second long blackouts when autoswitch mode loses the signal for a split second and then tries to find it again (even more so when the ossc has to process the change and god help you if you have an xrgb mini or something worse)

And at the end of October 2019 I've been told this 16 port 4k@60hz hdmi switch will be coming out:
For those of us that already split the audio directly to a receiver (like in the OP) ARC wouldn't be beneficial though.
That's not true, some splitters require additional power, and it is still one less thing that could go wrong and not work with certain resolutions/refresh rates or compress colors or ect. Hdmi and its devices are seriously ridiculous with the nonsense they can cause so it is always beneficial to have one less thing that could go wrong in your chain.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Wolf_ wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:For those of us that already split the audio directly to a receiver (like in the OP) ARC wouldn't be beneficial though.
That's not true, some splitters require additional power, and it is still one less thing that could go wrong and not work with certain resolutions/refresh rates or compress colors or ect. Hdmi and its devices are seriously ridiculous with the nonsense they can cause so it is always beneficial to have one less thing that could go wrong in your chain.
If the only reason for extracting audio is because you want an HDMI switcher at your TV instead of behind your receiver, then, sure, ARC makes sense; but I think it's more common that people extract audio because their receivers or TVs don't support ARC, or the ARC implementation is buggy, or the AVR is old enough to not have HDMI, or the AVR will take a weird audio signal over TOSLINK but not HDMI. In those cases, ARC would not be functional or beneficial.

If, instead, [e]ARC is otherwise functional, then I'm not sure what the reason for extracting audio would be.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

nmalinoski wrote:
Wolf_ wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:For those of us that already split the audio directly to a receiver (like in the OP) ARC wouldn't be beneficial though.
If the only reason for extracting audio is because you want an HDMI switcher at your TV instead of behind your receiver, then, sure, ARC makes sense; but I think it's more common that people extract audio because their receivers or TVs don't support ARC, or the ARC implementation is buggy, or the AVR is old enough to not have HDMI, or the AVR will take a weird audio signal over TOSLINK but not HDMI. In those cases, ARC would not be functional or beneficial.

If, instead, [e]ARC is otherwise functional, then I'm not sure what the reason for extracting audio would be.
Extracting audio is useful if you have an audio delay in your rack.

Multiple video processors won't handle audio, so you want to break the audio out right before the receiver and add the correct delay (to compensate for everything in the chain). In some games with audio cues, you may prefer to leave the audio passing directly to time things properly--but you will probably want proper audio/video synchronization most of the time.
We apologise for the inconvenience
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

nmalinoski wrote:
From what I've read, regular ARC is limited to what TOSLINK can typically support; so 24bit/96kHz 2-channel PCM or Dolby-/DTS-encoded 5.1. eARC should be able to pass high-bitrate stuff, like uncompressed surround, Atmos, and DTS:X. If there are TVs that will only send back stereo, then that's a problem with those TVs.
More or less this. There are a number of issues with ARC in practice at the moment. First, regular ARC only supports 2 channels for LPCM or Dolby Digital Plus or DTS encoded surround. Wii U and Switch ONLY output LPCM, so it's completely useless for those consoles unless your TV can accept the LPCM surround and encode it as Dolby/DTS before running it out to the receiver and I don't think there are any that do that.

eARC would theoretically fix all of that, but it requires both a TV and a receiver that support it. It's part of the HDMI 2.1 spec, IIRC, which means there are only a couple of TVs that do and probably a handful of receivers (that are generally on the pricier side). On top of that, from what I've read it's not even working properly on, say, the LG TVs that do support it. So until all that gets sorted out, eARC is kind of a non-starter anyway.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Wolf_ wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:

I've never gotten ARC to work properly in all the TVs I've owned that supported it. That, coupled with the fact that I already bought the audio stripping gear from this thread, makes me not want to bother trying ARC in the future. This is especially true given there is no lag introduced via this method. Maybe ARC, or eARC, or whatever the newest tech is better and I should? I'm not trying to start an argument, just justifying why we find this thread useful.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

ldeveraux wrote:
Wolf_ wrote:
I've never gotten ARC to work properly in all the TVs I've owned that supported it. That, coupled with the fact that I already bought the audio stripping gear from this thread, makes me not want to bother trying ARC in the future. This is especially true given there is no lag introduced via this method. Maybe ARC, or eARC, or whatever the newest tech is better and I should? I'm not trying to start an argument, just justifying why we find this thread useful.
You can still find all the information about hdmi switchers on this thread useful (the main point of the thread) without using a hdmi splitter. I was in no way saying the thread isn't useful, just that avoiding hdmi splitters/extra devices in your chain in general is.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

I've got a new batch of test data. I've been holding off on writing anything because I've been trying to find solid recommendations. But that's just not happening.

So, yay for vague possibilities and negative notes.

I've been continuing to use the SGEYR 5x1 switches with generally good results. I'm using 2 switches, with the OSSC going into port 5 on one, and that switch chained to port 5 of the other. I occasionally get a quirk where it says it's switched to a port that I know is active. But there's nothing on the screen. But that's usually when I'm hotplugging a bunch of stuff for testing. In my day to day use of turning on the rack AC power then turning on the console I want to play one at a time. It's been working fine. I switched to these because they play more nicely with the HDFury Vertex2 than the vorke switches do. And the 5x1 is nice compared to 4x1.

For reference without having to re-read. The specific case of PS4 4k60RGB into a vorke hd41 into a vertex 2 causes graphical glitches and dropped frames. Remove any of those 3 from the equation and everything else works fine together. A number of switches in place of the vorke had similar behavior.

I've stopped actually using the Vertex 2 for the moment. It's just too finnicky for some of my use cases. And I'm not convinced the TMDS based switching actually works. If I plug in an OSSC to port 3, and a switch into port 2. I'll occasionally get drops of the OSSC signal. Super annoying.

Switches:
ViewHD HDMI 4X1 Switch with Audio Extractor | HDMI + Optical + Headphone Audio outputs | 4K@60Hz | HDR | ARC | Auto Switch | Model: AU4X1
This one seems a bit cool because it's a switch and audio extractor in one unit. Unfortunately I couldn't get auto-switching to work reliably after the first device shut down. Double tapping the "Auto" button would get it unstuck every time. But that's not really automatic, is it.
Also had problems relaying PS4 4k60rgb along to the vertex 2.
If nothing else, it seems like a useful replacement for the recommended audio extractor if that ever stops being sold.

J-Tech Digital HDMI Switch 5X1 HDMI2.0 4K@60Hz, HDCP 2.2, HDR, Dolby Vision, YUV 4:4:4 with remote control and auto-switching function with Control4 Driver Available [JTECH-18GSW5]
NES at 4x and 5x drop/glitch
PS4 4k60rgb works fine directly to my tv. But not at all into the vertex 2. And Xbox One 4k60 (not sure what color space) had little horizontal lines when forwarded to the vertex 2.

Kinivo 550BN 4K HDMI Switch with IR Wireless Remote (5 Port, 4K 60Hz HDR, High Speed-18Gbps, Auto-Switching)
This one had an interesting property where it would show you which input & output ports were connected along with which ones were active. It also failed to detect an active output when it was connected to a vorke hd41. So it's a bit quirky but might be useful for diagnostics.
NES 5x had dropped frames
PS4 4k60rgb worked fine. Although I apparently omitted whether that was directly to my tv or through the vertex 2.

5 Port 4K@60Hz HDMI Switch 5x1 Optional Auto-Switching IR Remote, SwitchDeck Sewell
I had some quirks with ps4 connectivity that were hard to pin down. I was able to reach a stable working state. But something weird was going on when first setting up.
NES 5x drops frames
ps4 into the vertex 2 had the usual errors.

NIERBO HD HDMI for Switch 5 in 1 Out 4k@60HZ HDMI 2.0 Switch with IR Remote Support HDCP UHD Full HD for Xbox PS4 Pro PS3 Roku HDTV BLU-Ray DVD Projector and More
NES 5x had drops
PS4 4k60rgb worked fine for about 10 minutes then started getting quirks.

Splitters:
I wanted to find something with more than 2 ports. Mostly so I could dedicate one to my audio extractor without it being an extra hop to the TV. But also found that downscaling 4k to 1080p is a pretty common feature. So that's kind of neat for my 1440p monitor. I'm also trying out a 4k capture card. So the extra 2 ports would go a long way.

To get the audio extractor to work without a video output. I had to get some of these to trick it's video output. New Generation 4K HDMI Dummy Plug | High Resolution Virtual Screen Display Supports up to 3840×2160@60Hz, 1080@120Hz DVI EDID Adapter (3 Pack)

TESmart HDMI Splitter 1x4 1 in 4 Out HDMI Splitters 4K@60HZ 4:4:4 Supports HDCP 2.2 HDMI Splitter 4K Supports Output 1080P@60Hz and 3840x2160@60Hz 4:4:4 for Different Resolution Monitors
This one seemed pretty compatible with signals. But it was a bit harder than I expected to wrangle EDID for audio. I think it uses port 1 as it's sole definition of what's audibly supported. But I'm not 100% clear.

J-Tech Digital Scaler/Multi-Resolution Output (MRO) 18GBps 1x4 HDMI 2.0 Splitter HDR10/Dolby Vision 4K@60Hz 4:4:4 [JTECH-18GSP14M]
No 240p or 480p support. NES 5x frequently failed. And the graphics had this weird interlacing that didn't make any sense. It wasn't based on fast motion or anything. Alternating lines would just have little comby bits sticking out.

gofanco Prophecy HDMI Splitter 4K 60Hz HDR 1x4 - YUV 4:4:4, 3D, HDMI 2.0a, HDCP 2.2, EDID, 18Gbps, Auto Scaling, Low Heat, Cascadable, Firmware Upgradable, 4 Port 1 in 4 Out
This one is working really nicely for me so far. You can set a really permissive fixed EDID. It seems to play well with all the signals I can throw at it. Although once or twice I had issues switching into NES 5x on my computer monitor but not my TV. Not a consistent enough behavior to worry me yet.

SIIG Premium 1x4 HDMI Splitter 4K 60HZ HDR with EDID - 18Gbps - HDMI 2.0 - HDCP 2.2 - Aluminum Housing - 3D, 4:4:4, UHD 4 port, 1 in and 4 out
This one doesn't downscale like the others. Not a dealbreaker, but the downscaling is a bit nice for my current setup. The mixed EDID learning freaked out trying to connect my PS4. Had to power everything off to get a signal again. And the fixed EDID maxes out at YUV420. And the shape is really odd compared to every other switch and splitter I've bought. Not recommended.

This isn't new. But I happened to discover that ViewHD 1x2 HDMI Splitter with Integrated Audio Extractor with Optical and RCA L/R Stereo Outputs | VHD-1X2HSACi is good if you need to capture some PS3 hdmi output. It's not 4k, but it's useful to have in your toolbox.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

clintkolodziej wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
clintkolodziej wrote:TLDR; The one I found was only a 4 port but it looked at video signals in addition to just hot ports so it solves the situation where you have multiple devices like the OSSC that report hot to the switch and break auto-switching functionality.

Sorry about the novels, really not trying to make this thread hard to read, I'll hide test results behind spoiler tags next time to make it more digestible.
No worries, I'm just playing! I can certainly appreciate a switcher that will allow multiple always on devices. I'd just assumed there was no way to differentiate, so it's great that you found one. Price aside, would the KD switch work with daisy chaining because it looks for video signal?

edit: Just found this, is the remote required? I'll buy it if not!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Key-Digital-KD- ... 3696418773
Personally, with all the testing I did I never used the remote. I saw that one when I bought mine a week ago but thought I may need the remote. Since auto-switching seems to work completely as I was hoping I wouldn't see the need for it. There is also an Ethernet jack on the back, from the user manual it looks like there is a Key Digital App, I assume the app would let you control it if your phone and switch are both on the same network -- haven't tried that so far.
I bought that other KDpro-4x1 we discussed, seems to auto switch well. Then again, so does my Vorke now, so what do I know? If you're not using that remote, want to sell it ?! Or post a picture of it so I know what to look for?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

DirkSwizzler wrote:I've been continuing to use the SGEYR 5x1 switches with generally good results. I'm using 2 switches, with the OSSC going into port 5 on one, and that switch chained to port 5 of the other. I occasionally get a quirk where it says it's switched to a port that I know is active. But there's nothing on the screen. But that's usually when I'm hotplugging a bunch of stuff for testing. In my day to day use of turning on the rack AC power then turning on the console I want to play one at a time. It's been working fine. I switched to these because they play more nicely with the HDFury Vertex2 than the vorke switches do. And the 5x1 is nice compared to 4x1.
I picked up one of the SGEYR 5x1s on sale on this recommendation. I haven't done much with it so far, but it seems to autoswitch just like the Vorke HD41Pro--switch to last connected, fall back to the next-sequentially-numbered input with a signal. I was a little disappointed that it doesn't support 4K60, just 4K30, but I'll likely only use it for my retro gear, and it was only ~$21, and I still have the Vorke for anything that I'll need 4K for.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

nmalinoski wrote:I was a little disappointed that it doesn't support 4K60, just 4K30
There's a 4k60 model. Which is the one I'm using 2 of. I'm definitely getting PS4 4K60RGB through it.
Lux

Post by Lux »

Is there any 4K60 switcher with more than 5 ports that we know of ?
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

Lux wrote:Is there any 4K60 switcher with more than 5 ports that we know of ?
afaik this is the first: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YJMXM8J
I have yet to test it though but it is on my list so fingers crossed.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Wolf_ wrote:
That's a KVM, not necessarily a "switcher" so I'd still be weary of it.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

ldeveraux wrote:
Wolf_ wrote:
That's a KVM, not necessarily a "switcher" so I'd still be weary of it.
Why? The fact it is designed for pcs should mean it is more accepting of odd video settings and low on lag.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Wolf_ wrote:
ldeveraux wrote: That's a KVM, not necessarily a "switcher" so I'd still be weary of it.
Why? The fact it is designed for pcs should mean it is more accepting of odd video settings and low on lag.
OK, let us know the result when you try it out then.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

ldeveraux wrote:
Wolf_ wrote:
ldeveraux wrote: That's a KVM, not necessarily a "switcher" so I'd still be weary of it.
OK, let us know the result when you try it out then.
So is there anything I should be looking out for or were you just talking out of your butt?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Wolf_ wrote:
ldeveraux wrote: OK, let us know the result when you try it out then.
So is there anything I should be looking out for or were you just talking out of your butt?
Some KVM won't function unless receiving external power, some don't work well if you do have external power, some need the K or M part connected, some need both. Who knows if it actually supports 4K, and to what extent. It's not built to function solely as an HDMI switch, it's a KVM. There are intricacies that go along with it, that's why I brought it up.

But you've already made up your mind to pay for and test that KVM, whatever I say isn't going to matter, is it?
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

ldeveraux wrote:
Wolf_ wrote:
ldeveraux wrote: OK, let us know the result when you try it out then.
Some KVM won't function unless receiving external power, some don't work well if you do have external power, some need the K or M part connected, some need both. Who knows if it actually supports 4K, and to what extent. It's not built to function solely as an HDMI switch, it's a KVM. There are intricacies that go along with it, that's why I brought it up.

But you've already made up your mind to pay for and test that KVM, whatever I say isn't going to matter, is it?
It would help me check to see if it had these issues if you told me what they were... So thanks for managing to contribute that much.

I'll be powering mine externally, not connecting anything to the usb ports, and I can't imagine they would be stupid enough as to lie on the spec sheet that it supports 4k uhd but if they did I'll just return it and leave a highly negative review because it is amazon and you'd have to be a moron to try that. I'll let you know how all that pans out for me.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Wolf_ wrote:
ldeveraux wrote: Some KVM won't function unless receiving external power, some don't work well if you do have external power, some need the K or M part connected, some need both. Who knows if it actually supports 4K, and to what extent. It's not built to function solely as an HDMI switch, it's a KVM. There are intricacies that go along with it, that's why I brought it up.

It would help me check to see if it had these issues if you told me what they were... So thanks for managing to contribute that much.

I'll be powering mine externally, not connecting anything to the usb ports, and I can't imagine they would be stupid enough as to lie on the spec sheet that it supports 4k uhd but if they did I'll just return it and leave a highly negative review because it is amazon and you'd have to be a moron to try that. I'll let you know how all that pans out for me.
Sorry I just meant the video doesn't show after switching, it just goes black without recovery. Granted this was years ago so ymmv, but I definitely returned those KVM. As DirkSwizzler says, HDMI is voodoo...

And I definitely think sellers stretch the truth on their items, hoping that the buyer won't notice, or won't complain that it's not exactly as described. Sure, you can leave negative reviews, but some people are still fooled. I've had this problem with TVs especially recently, where the listing will say "Full HD 1080p" but in reality it's a 720p model.

I don't want to discourage you from buying, just sharing my experience. I hope we can have a quality 16 port (!) HDMI switch, albeit at quite a steep price.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Sorry if this has already been answered, but is there a recommended setup/switcher for 1080p setups? I just cant see myself upgrading to 4K for the forseeable future (Dont even have any 4K sources at present) so any suggestons for a 1080p setup would be much appreciated.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Link83 wrote:Sorry if this has already been answered, but is there a recommended setup/switcher for 1080p setups? I just cant see myself upgrading to 4K for the forseeable future (Dont even have any 4K sources at present) so any suggestons for a 1080p setup would be much appreciated.
The 4K-capable stuff is plenty capable of 1080p. I won't have a 4K TV for a while, but I still went ahead and bought the 4K60 SGEYR switcher; it'll save me some money in the long run, since I won't have to buy another switcher later that would be capable of 4K60.

If you want to save a few dollars now, though, you can get one of the 4K30 versions of the SGEYR 5-port switchers. I only had one briefly, but I didn't notice any difference in switching behavior between it and the 4K60 model I have now.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Yeah. The SGEYR units have been working well for me. And aren't as pricey as the viewhd prosumer or vorke hd41
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

DirkSwizzler wrote:Yeah. The SGEYR units have been working well for me. And aren't as pricey as the viewhd prosumer or vorke hd41
This is the one you're talking about, right?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MCS9PJD

I'm still looking for an affordable 4k60 matrix switcher (keep dreaming), but right now I am shy 1 port with the Vorke 4x1, so this one with 5 looks good. Biggest drawback for me is I would need to get an IR extender (and I assume power that too), since this switch will be in back of everything. The Vorke was great for having that extender cable build into it so I could snake the little receiver to the front of everything and hide it.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Thanks for the replies :) I'd definitely consider a 4K switcher if it doesn't cost much more than a 1080p switcher.

I'm looking at the SGEYR on the AliExpress official SGEYR store, but there are so many different versions. These two listings look like the 4K60 version, but i'm not sure why there are two separate listings?:-
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000162978665.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32967944064.html
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Dochartaigh wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote:Yeah. The SGEYR units have been working well for me. And aren't as pricey as the viewhd prosumer or vorke hd41
This is the one you're talking about, right?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MCS9PJD
Correct. The auto switching has been reliable for me too as long as you only have 1 thing on at a time.

It doesn't have the same priority system I love with my main recommendations. But the fallback seems to work well. Which is something I can't say for most of the switches I've tried.