240p via HDMI on Raspberry Pi to RGBS, no need for RGB hats!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
fernan1234

240p via HDMI on Raspberry Pi to RGBS, no need for RGB hats!

Post by fernan1234 »

Editing this first post to point out that it is far, FAR better to simply use CEA 8 as the global video mode (on the config.txt file). I think the person who wrote the guide linked below got it wrong. All you need in the config.txt file is:

---

hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=8

hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080
hdmi_pixel_encoding=2
avoid_safe_mode=1
disable_overscan=0
config_hdmi_boost=4
hdmi_drive=2
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=6

kernel=zImage
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
gpu_mem_256=128
gpu_mem_512=256
gpu_mem_1024=512

dtparam=audio=on

---

Some of those non-bold entries may not be necessary but they don't seem to hurt.
No need to use the hdmi_cvt setting at all. It just causes problems in some systems like the Genesis. Recalbox is also still what I recommend the most for this setup since different video modes can be set in the recalbox.conf file (which can be in the USB drive for easy changes) for the front end/ES, for Kodi, and for individual cores and games. So the menu and Kodi can be 480i (DVDs!), as CEA 6 HDMI. Perhaps this is also possible on Retropie. The global.videomode setting in this .conf file should also be set to CEA 8 HDMI (global.videomode=CEA 8 HDMI).

And of course you'll want to set integer scaled custom aspect ratio. No need to mess around with CRTSwitchres. It's more manual adjustment without the super resolution, but a cvt with the super resolution can be set on a per-core basis anyway (or vice versa, could use the old config below and set CEA 8 only for systems that don't work well with the former).

Original post:
Spoiler
With the Raspberry Pi 4's release, I thought it would be useful to post here about something that I have to conclude is not widely known. It turns out that CRT users (and I suppose OSSC users also) can very easily obtain real 240p RGB analog output from a Raspberry Pi's HDMI out without the need for analog RGB hats. Instead, the digital (HDMI) to analog conversion can be done easily with devices that have a lower cost, and that you may already own. HDMI 240p RGB output uses the same method that RGB hats rely on, that is, by adding a few entries in the RBP's config.txt file.

After configuring the config.txt file (see below), all that is needed is to connect the RBP's HDMI output to an HDMI-VGA converter (the often-recommended cheap Tendak dongle, for example), which can then be connected to any device that can combine sync to attain RGBS (or RGsB). Besides the better-known RGB interfaces, there are many other low-cost Extron devices that can pass through the RGB signal while outputting the required sync (many can also output component, for use with consumer CRT TVs). As an additional advantage, this approach can preserve digital audio if it is extracted (via an HDMI switch or audio extractor) before the DAC. Yet another advantage is not having to rely on custom images supplied by the RGB hat sellers.

My own setup is RBP3+ HDMI -> Digital audio extracted by HDMI switch -> HDFury3 -> Extron Rxi 203 -> RGB switch -> BVM

Like with the RGB hats, you will want to turn off bilinear filtering, set integer scaling, etc., on the image/emulator that you use to get an accurate 240p picture. Setting a "super resolution" of 1920 is ideal.

The required config.txt settings are the following:
hdmi_cvt=1920 240 60 1 1 0 0
hdmi_pixel_encoding=2
avoid_safe_mode=1
disable_overscan=0
config_hdmi_boost=4
hdmi_drive=2
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=6

kernel=zImage
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
gpu_mem_256=128
gpu_mem_512=256
gpu_mem_1024=512

dtparam=audio=on
boot_delay=3
Source: https://github.com/recalbox/recalbox-os ... -HDMI-(EN) (more information, in particular what each of the entries does, can be found there also). I suspect that not many people find this page because the Recalbox wiki has the wrong link for it in its manual.

Do take note of the hdmi_mode=6 entry. HDMI mode 6 (CEA group) is 480i, which is active only for the frontend (EmulationStation, Retropie, etc.) to make it legible. Retropie may not need it, and if you hate 480i you can remove this entry or change it to mode 12 (240p). More info on HDMI modes here: (https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... t/video.md). Furthermore, specific core overrides can be set to use yet another video mode (such as 480p for, say, retro PC games), though how this is done varies by the image used (on Recalbox, for example, this is done in the recalbox.conf file). I also recommend setting the frontend's global video mode to prevent temporary transitions to the default 720p, when using some images, when loading cores. The mode should be set to either 480i or 240p (remember that the monitor itself does not distinguish between these two).

The same settings should also work with Retropie and Lakka. I tested it on both and only had problems (random black screens) with Lakka, though it may have just been a bad image.

I imagine that the RBP4 will allow Retroarch to fully support CRT SwitchRes. As far as I can tell it does seem to work on current RBP3s too with the above config, though I've seen some claim that it's not supposed to, but setting the integer scale manually is always possible anyway. These HDMI video mode settings should be the same on the RBP4, and so before people spend money on new hats that are likely to come out for the RBP4 I would suggest giving this method a try first. If you try to set this up and encounter any problems I'll try to help.
Last edited by fernan1234 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Fudoh

Re: 240p via HDMI on Raspberry Pi to RGBS, no need for RGB h

Post by Fudoh »

My own setup is RBP3+ HDMI -> Digital audio extracted by HDMI switch -> HDFury3 -> Extron Rxi 203 -> RGB switch -> BVM
if digital audio isn't a requirement, the HDMI to component converter that Mike Chi recently recommended works fine as well.

Pi 3 > HDMI to YUV+analogue Audio box ($20) > BVM + speakers.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Fudoh wrote:if digital audio isn't a requirement, the HDMI to component converter that Mike Chi recently recommended works fine as well.
This would be fine too. The route I went over is better for keeping it all RGB. Either way analog audio can also be taken from the DAC.

I also forgot the case of PC CRTs, which can use the HDMI->VGA route too, but without the need for a sync combiner. Would just need to set 480p as the output and then use the interlace shader on Retroarch to get something pretty close to real 240p.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

The Tendak has analog audio right on it too - so no need to extract elsewhere in my eyes (don't think I've ever used it, but the 3.5mm minijack is there!).
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Dochartaigh wrote:The Tendak has analog audio right on it too - so no need to extract elsewhere in my eyes (don't think I've ever used it, but the 3.5mm minijack is there!).
It does and I'd bet it sounds fine. The ability to get digital audio when using the HDMI output is just another plus.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Cant use the composite video output as sync?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Syntax wrote:Cant use the composite video output as sync?
I would think not, since to get composite out it's necessary to enter an sdtv_mode in the config.txt file, which would conflict with the hdmi_mode set there. If it were possible it would be a nice convenience, but cheap Extron units that can do RGBHV -> RGBS can be found for less than $20, and often serve other functions, so I'd go with one of those regardless.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Id imagine a simple diode combiner would work for a dirty quick fix.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

It's been done...

Check out the RaspberryJAMMA

https://arpicade.com/

"Imagine toggle switch OSD modding a TV in 2019" - maxtherabbit
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

I also just tried and can second that the $12 component converter works great. A huge advantage of the HDMI output is that it can do 480i whereas the DPI port can only do progressive outputs.

I'm also able to output 240p super resolution via the same adaptor on an Intel IGP as well as a Quadro K1200.
Pikkon

Post by Pikkon »

I have this running on recalbox,but I use just a hdmi to vga,then I made a vga scart cable and going to my rgb modded crt.
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

fernan1234 wrote:With the Raspberry Pi 4's release, I thought it would be useful to post here about something that I have to conclude is not widely known. It turns out that CRT users (and I suppose OSSC users also) can very easily obtain real 240p RGB analog output from a Raspberry Pi's HDMI out without the need for analog RGB hats. Instead, the digital (HDMI) to analog conversion can be done easily with devices that have a lower cost, and that you may already own. HDMI 240p RGB output uses the same method that RGB hats rely on, that is, by adding a few entries in the RBP's config.txt file.

After configuring the config.txt file (see below), all that is needed is to connect the RBP's HDMI output to an HDMI-VGA converter (the often-recommended cheap Tendak dongle, for example), which can then be connected to any device that can combine sync to attain RGBS (or RGsB). Besides the better-known RGB interfaces, there are many other low-cost Extron devices that can pass through the RGB signal while outputting the required sync (many can also output component, for use with consumer CRT TVs). As an additional advantage, this approach can preserve digital audio if it is extracted (via an HDMI switch or audio extractor) before the DAC. Yet another advantage is not having to rely on custom images supplied by the RGB hat sellers.

Like with the RGB hats, you will want to turn off bilinear filtering, set integer scaling, etc., on the image/emulator that you use to get an accurate 240p picture. Setting a "super resolution" of 1920 is ideal.

The required config.txt settings are the following:
Spoiler
hdmi_cvt=1920 240 60 1 1 0 0
hdmi_pixel_encoding=2
avoid_safe_mode=1
disable_overscan=0
config_hdmi_boost=4
hdmi_drive=2
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=6

kernel=zImage
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
gpu_mem_256=128
gpu_mem_512=256
gpu_mem_1024=512

dtparam=audio=on
boot_delay=3
Source: https://github.com/recalbox/recalbox-os ... -HDMI-(EN) (more information, in particular what each of the entries does, can be found there also). I suspect that not many people find this page because the Recalbox wiki has the wrong link for it in its manual.

Do take note of the hdmi_mode=6 entry. HDMI mode 6 (CEA group) is 480i, which is active only for the frontend (EmulationStation, Retropie, etc.) to make it legible. Retropie may not need it, and if you hate 480i you can remove this entry or change it to mode 12 (240p). More info on HDMI modes here: (https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... t/video.md). Furthermore, specific core overrides can be set to use yet another video mode (such as 480p for, say, retro PC games), though how this is done varies by the image used (on Recalbox, for example, this is done in the recalbox.conf file). I also recommend setting the frontend's global video mode to prevent temporary transitions to the default 720p, when using some images, when loading cores. The mode should be set to either 480i or 240p (remember that the monitor itself does not distinguish between these two).

The same settings should also work with Retropie and Lakka. I tested it on both and only had problems (random black screens) with Lakka, though it may have just been a bad image.

I imagine that the RBP4 will allow Retroarch to fully support CRT SwitchRes. As far as I can tell it does seem to work on current RBP3s too with the above config, though I've seen some claim that it's not supposed to, but setting the integer scale manually is always possible anyway. These HDMI video mode settings should be the same on the RBP4, and so before people spend money on new hats that are likely to come out for the RBP4 I would suggest giving this method a try first. If you try to set this up and encounter any problems I'll try to help.
If only I read this a week ago. Anyhow I'm going for a rpi4+retrotink ultimate combo to a consumer crt. There seems to be an early lakka build that works for pi4 already.

No word yet on retropie release for the pi4 yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Well the retrotink makes for a leaner setup especially for component, so it has that going for it. It'd be interesting to compare it to an HDMI-to-component converter that's a third of its cost though.
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

I have both, one thing I like about the retrotink is that it has s-video output. HDmi to svideo isn't very common from what I have seen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

A couple of tips for Lakka:
-Change the menu driver to rgui, as xmb will be almost inoperable in low res (and turn off menu bilinear filtering in the user interface menu).
-It looks like Lakka (and Retropie) will use 480i across the board with the config in OP, so you'll want to set hdmi group to 2 (DMT) and mode to 87 (the custom mode), or try group 1 (CEA) and mode 8 (280p).
-Turn on CRTSwitchres on the video settings if you get a very horizontally squished picture (and set super resolution to 1920).

Be careful when using this with Lakka though because multiple times my SD image got corrupted after making these changes and putting it back into the RBP, so if you want to try I suggest having a backup of your image. More generally I'd just recommend staying with Recalbox or Retropie for this 240p config.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I'm definitely behind here. Are we saying to buy this guy and with the right config we can get to 240p/component/CRT?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-HDMI-to-5R ... 3156028580
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

When I tried a couple of those cheap made-in-China HDMI-Component boxes (not for this, but for HD stuff) they all seemed to perform about the same.

Edit: will be making an edit to OP. I discovered that simply setting CEA 8 as the video mode is by far better than using the custom video timing (cvt) setting.
Rion

Post by Rion »

Pikkon wrote:I have this running on recalbox,but I use just a hdmi to vga,then I made a vga scart cable and going to my rgb modded crt.

What kind of HDMI to VGA adapter are you using?
And could you recommend any got VGA to scart cables?
Pikkon

Post by Pikkon »

Mine is a no brand I bought from ebay.
Like this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-Male-to-V ... R&LH_BIN=1

You want one that has usb and audio is a nice bonus.

As for the vga scart cable I just made my own following this.\
https://www.geocities.ws/podernixie/htpc/vga2euro.gif
badwhite40

Post by badwhite40 »

Fudoh wrote:
if digital audio isn't a requirement, the HDMI to component converter that Mike Chi recently recommended works fine as well.

Pi 3 > HDMI to YUV+analogue Audio box ($20) > BVM + speakers.
Which hdmi to yuv converter?
SirArthur is looking for one
RVZ

Post by RVZ »

Anyhow I'm going for a rpi4+retrotink ultimate combo to a consumer crt. There seems to be an early lakka build that works for pi4 already.
Does the retrotink work on the raspberry pi 4? I thought it only works on 3b and 3b+?
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Bahn Yuki wrote:If only I read this a week ago. Anyhow I'm going for a rpi4+retrotink ultimate combo to a consumer crt. There seems to be an early lakka build that works for pi4 already.

No word yet on retropie release for the pi4 yet.
Bahn Yuki, how is your Raspi4 with RetrotinkUltimate going? I actually just decided to get one before mike completely removes them.

edit: just as an FYI, I have been completely unable to get my sony pvm to correctly display via HDMI-VGA converter. I can get some partial information, but it's always unusable.
Dezmancer

Post by Dezmancer »

Could anyone provide me some assistance in trying to get the image to display fully on my CRT? I used the config file provided but I am getting my display cut off in both in emulationstation (I'm using retropie) and the games.

https://imgur.com/a/YmHK7qe

I have tried tweaking the overscan settings but while they seem to apply while the pi is booting up as soon as the UI launches it always looks the same. I am able to affect the vertical size some with CRT's internal geometry settings but I can't alter the horizontal size this way. Using a 14 inch toshiba CRT and one of those little HDMI--YUB converters.
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

Getting it to work with an unofficial Retropie is easy. it's the same setup as before. Lakka however is more of a battle as the video driver fails. I have some free time today and will look more closely into it.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

vol.2 wrote:edit: just as an FYI, I have been completely unable to get my sony pvm to correctly display via HDMI-VGA converter. I can get some partial information, but it's always unusable.
It should work. What are you using to combine the sync? And which video mode did you set on config.txt?
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

fernan1234 wrote:
It should work. What are you using to combine the sync? And which video mode did you set on config.txt?

My PVM takes RGBHV, so I typically don't combine sync. It doesn't have any issues syncing with my raspi over the gert666 vga adapter if I set the timings right.

I tried setting 6,12,8 and a whole bunch of custom video modes to no avail. Every so often a sort of correct image would flash on the screen, but couldn't get anything stable. One time I got a stable screen, but it was shifted halfway horizontally so that I had the left half on the right and vice versa, with a fat grey band down the middle.
Just doesn't wanna do it.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Bahn Yuki wrote: Lakka however is more of a battle as the video driver fails. I have some free time today and will look more closely into it.
Oh dang. Lakka is more or less my go-to with the Pi. I found retropie to be kinda superfluous with all the redundant layers of configuration. It's a hell of lot easier to keep track of the per core resolution stretches when you only have retroarch to think about.

Yeah, please lmk if you make any progress. Once I get my tink I'll mess around and see what I get.
I was definitely able to use Lakka with my pi4 over the gert666 if that's any help.
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

sweeet!

Thanks for sharing that. I'm super excited about trying this out. :D
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Bahn Yuki,

I got the Retrotink Ult working on my Raspi4. The work-around (gpio=0-27=a2,np) you are using is no longer necessary. If you use the new 24bit overlay file, you can just go with the old settings, but you may have to disable the audio param layer (which doesn't seem to effect my games/system) and the UART power connection (which powers certain accessories over the GPIO). The relevant information is in this thread:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... a&start=25

Linked in this thread is a download for an updated dpi24.dtbo file, which sets the overlay params for 24bit RGB. All you really have to do is replace the one in /boot/overlays with the new one. This may or may not have found it's way into the main repository yet.

edit: you'll also want to make sure you switch the pi to update beta firmware and run the update. there were some crucial analog video output uodates in firmware from this fall. here's a post with super easy to follow instructions:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/jamesacham ... ide/%3famp