Retro-bit's Sega controllers

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
it290

Re: Retro-bit's Sega controllers

Post by it290 »

@Retro-Bit

I'm having some issues with using two of the Saturn 2.4ghz on the MiSTer. Basically what I think is happening is that the controllers ID the same way so that the MiSTer 'sees' them as a single controller and they both end up operating the 1P side instead of functioning as 1P and 2P as intended. I realize this is not a supported use but after posting about it on the MiSTer Facebook group it sounds like something that a firmware update could potentially address:
I've had that issue with two boards from MonsterJoystick that converted to USB. They had the same identifier.
Alexey helped the author change the firmware (I think the ID had to be 0 or nothing instead of 1 or something else than 0) so that even if the the ID was the same (just 0 or nothing) they would no longer be treated as the same device.

as far as I understand, if they had "none" or 0 as ID they would be treated as seperate units.
But when they "pretend" to have unique IDs (but don't) by not having "none" or 0 you can't differentiate between two not-unique ID'et units and one multi-functional controller with the same ID for each part of its features. Therefore they're treated as one.
Maybe the team at Retro-Bit can take a look at this?
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

My 2.4GHz Saturn pad came in from CastleMania Games today, I had a great time playing some Mushihimesama with it!

Really wish I had gotten the clear blue one after seeing how it looks though... :?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
coregamertreff

Post by coregamertreff »

I've been using the japanese style Bluetooth Saturn Pad from RetroBits for about one week now and I'm blown away by how good this controller is.
I'm mainly playing on switch and can't notice more input delay than using a pro controller.
Playing Thunder Force IV with this controller on my switch feels like a dream.
Absolutely no complains about the awesome dpad and the shoulder buttons so far.

I can also confirm that this controller can be used on a PS4 when using a white Brook PS3 to PS4 Super Converter as it has PS3 Support built in.

The battery also seems to last very long, as I've been playing for almonst 15 hours by now without recharging.

Also super nice that they have implented rumble but it is obviously not as good as true HD Rumble of an original Switch Controller... maybe the rumble is a bit to strong sometimes as well but many games can adjust the strength via the options.

They also implemented a nice little button combination to swap A-B and Y-X Buttons that makes it super easy to play some games with the default button configuration without having to adjust the button config manually.

The only issue I had at the beginning was that it wouldn't pair with the switch easily you have to be like really aggressive during the paring by mashing the home and the A Button like a mad man. It seems like the pairing is too short or something so that you need to extend it by mashing... just dont give up mashing :D I hope they'll fix that in a future firmware update.

Initially I had a hard time deciding between the Bluetooth and the 2,4 ghz versions but for me I am addicted to my switch and want to play as easily as possible without having to connect a USB dongle.

As far as retro systems go Retrobits will be releasing receivers for the bluetooth controller as well so that we can then play on original systems (Genesis and Saturn) with the Bluetooth Models in the future as well just like we can now with the 2,4 ghz models.

Hope this answers some of your question marks you might have in regards to these awesome controllers from retro bits.

Cheers
mo
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

it290 wrote:Maybe the team at Retro-Bit can take a look at this?
I've let our team know. I'm unsure how much of the firmware will be on our end if the console is having issues detecting it, however. We will see. :)
coregamertreff wrote:Hope this answers some of your question marks you might have in regards to these awesome controllers from retro bits.

Cheers
mo
Much appreciated for all the feedback! As per your Switch issue, we will look into it and see what we can do.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I know it's a long shot but:

Any chance in hell on getting dongles for other consoles that work for this controller? I'd love one for the PC Engine.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Strider77 wrote:I know it's a long shot but:

Any chance in hell on getting dongles for other consoles that work for this controller? I'd love one for the PC Engine.
Add 3DO and Neo Geo CD/Z to that list :)
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Retro-Bit wrote:
mario64 wrote:Where is the Saturn BT receiver? The controller is of no use on the original console without it.
The Bluetooth receivers for Genesis/Mega Drive and Saturn will be released late November or early December. They're being finalized. :)
Are these still on track? Next week I assume?
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

mario64 wrote:
Retro-Bit wrote:
mario64 wrote:Where is the Saturn BT receiver? The controller is of no use on the original console without it.
The Bluetooth receivers for Genesis/Mega Drive and Saturn will be released late November or early December. They're being finalized. :)
Are these still on track? Next week I assume?
Barring any delays, it looks like mid-December.
solo20

Post by solo20 »

any way to change the polling rate in theses controllers on mister fpga they are now adding the options to accept higher polling rates. what are the polling rates for these controllers can they be change
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Retro-Bit wrote:Barring any delays, it looks like mid-December.
Ok thanks. Anxiously waiting
SamIAm

Post by SamIAm »

solo20 wrote:any way to change the polling rate in theses controllers on mister fpga they are now adding the options to accept higher polling rates. what are the polling rates for these controllers can they be change
Polling rates is something I would like to know about as well.
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

SamIAm wrote:
solo20 wrote:any way to change the polling rate in theses controllers on mister fpga they are now adding the options to accept higher polling rates. what are the polling rates for these controllers can they be change
I will ask out team about that. Last time we spoke about polling rates, I believe our controllers use the standard rate that most controllers have today.
solo20

Post by solo20 »

Retro-Bit wrote:
SamIAm wrote:
I will ask out team about that. Last time we spoke about polling rates, I believe our controllers use the standard rate that most controllers have today.
I don't think no controller manufacturer has ever let the user change the polling rates on their controllers would be nice if you guys would become the first to do it . if you got any questions you can go to https://discord.gg/UDu5ztY to understand what the goals are a lot of the mister developers are there you can also see the testing that has been going on controllers
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

I ordered two Saturn controllers from amazon and both had C buttons issues where one got stock and the other did not register well.. one of the controller indicator light did power on as well.. the controller also feels light and not like originals.. Maybe I was “lucky” on those two controllers but I can not recommend them..
The Future Is Now
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

So far, I haven't got the c button stuck, but I heard it's a common issue. The L button does stick if I press it on the right side, though. Is Metal Storm on track to be shipped soon from LRG?
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

SNK-NEO-GEO wrote:I ordered two Saturn controllers from amazon and both had C buttons issues where one got stock and the other did not register well.. one of the controller indicator light did power on as well.. the controller also feels light and not like originals.. Maybe I was “lucky” on those two controllers but I can not recommend them..
Please send us an email to info@retro-bit.com and we will get them replaced with proper units.
BrianC wrote:So far, I haven't got the c button stuck, but I heard it's a common issue. The L button does stick if I press it on the right side, though. Is Metal Storm on track to be shipped soon from LRG?
It's not common, actually. We pinpointed the issue to an initial batch with the factory issue. The amount affected is small compared to the whole but we are treating this very seriously nonetheless. We will continue to support any issues and we ask that no one hesitates to contact us. :)

EDIT: On Metal Storm, yes. The review units already went out and now the big shipments should be hitting Limited Run Games and Castlemania Games within the next week or so. Europe had theirs early so if you ordered from a European retailer, you should already have it or will have it soon. :)

EDIT2: Also, we feel like we should address that we are working on firmware for the Saturn receiver that should help with latency. This is still in the testing phase and we will announce on our social media and update the firmware listing on http://retro-bit.com/controllers-support when it is ready.
PixelDharma

Post by PixelDharma »

I picked up a Genesis and Saturn 2.4ghz controller and I absolutely love them.

I wish this Saturn version could be my daily driver for shmups and fighters on every console. Is there any technical reason why the USB receivers couldn't be updated for modern consoles like PS4 and Xbox One?
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

PixelDharma wrote:I picked up a Genesis and Saturn 2.4ghz controller and I absolutely love them.

I wish this Saturn version could be my daily driver for shmups and fighters on every console. Is there any technical reason why the USB receivers couldn't be updated for modern consoles like PS4 and Xbox One?
Per our development team, doing so would have required a different board/chip. The 2.4 GHz USB receiver is compatible with the Brook PS3->PS4 and PS3->Xbox One super converters, last we heard. We are working with them to help them apply firmware for our controllers onto their converters.
PixelDharma

Post by PixelDharma »

Retro-Bit wrote:
PixelDharma wrote:I picked up a Genesis and Saturn 2.4ghz controller and I absolutely love them.

Per our development team, doing so would have required a different board/chip. The 2.4 GHz USB receiver is compatible with the Brook PS3->PS4 and PS3->Xbox One super converters, last we heard. We are working with them to help them apply firmware for our controllers onto their converters.
Okay cool. That's understandable if there's a technical reason, and at least Brook has some solutions.

I might also look into their PS3 -> PS2 solution too (I don't know if that was confirmed to ever work).
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

PixelDharma wrote:
Retro-Bit wrote:

Okay cool. That's understandable if there's a technical reason, and at least Brook has some solutions.

I might also look into their PS3 -> PS2 solution too (I don't know if that was confirmed to ever work).
I believe it does work on the PS3 > PS2 Brook adapter according to this thread.

That thread also mentions it won't work with Brook's Dreamcast or TG16 adapters and also the Total Control 3.
PixelDharma

Post by PixelDharma »

Gunstar wrote:
PixelDharma wrote:I might also look into their PS3 -> PS2 solution too (I don't know if that was confirmed to ever work).
I believe it does work on the PS3 > PS2 Brook adapter according to this thread.

That thread also mentions it won't work with Brook's Dreamcast or TG16 adapters and also the Total Control 3.

Thanks for the info. But now I also want Dreamcast compatibility haha.

Maybe the inevitable Retrobit wireless 2.4ghz dreamcast receiver can keep compatibility with the other 2.4ghz Sega controllers? Would be very nice.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Retro-Bit wrote:
SamIAm wrote:
Please, do. For the wired USB SS pads as well.
Retro-Bit wrote:
Bassa-Bassa wrote:Are the wired USB pads designed for 1000Hz polling [on Windows]? If not, what's the number?
I'm not sure what the numbers are but I will ask our dev team what they are.

Thanks.
PaTaito

Post by PaTaito »

So i literally just took delivery of the smokey see through wireless 2.4ghz saturn pad with usb and saturn receivers. I went to update the receiver as per the instructions(plugging usb into computer while holding receiver button) but while my other hand was full i held the button on the receiver down possibly too long as it went past blinking to indicate update mode and now there is no light at all!?? When i plug into the saturn there is now no light to even pair it and when i plug into the pc via usb windows makes the connected usb sound effect and then the disconnected sound effect when unplugged...it even appears in device manager, but nothing appears in the drop down box of the update software, and like i said no light solid, blinking, or otherwise???

I've tried scowling theinternet for a way to reset the receiver somehow but have foiund nothing so i could do with some assisstance from the resident retrobit poster if possible.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

I've been having odd issues with one of the wired controllers I bought back in August, the A button and Start button seem to both randomly get detected on their own, more and more frequently. I opened it up and tried to hurriedly clean it at a game night with friends just by trying to blow any dust or residue out, but I have yet to open it up again and clean up with the 91% Isopropyl I have at home. A tad odd, though, the thing certainly isn't dirty at all!

2.4 GHz controller, though? Love it. Can't wait for the dual analog one and hope it works with Nights and Virtual On <3
it290

Post by it290 »

Omg wireless Virtual On would be amazing. Please make a Dreamcast controller that does that too. :wink:
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

kitty666cats wrote:I've been having odd issues with one of the wired controllers I bought back in August, the A button and Start button seem to both randomly get detected on their own, more and more frequently. I opened it up and tried to hurriedly clean it at a game night with friends just by trying to blow any dust or residue out, but I have yet to open it up again and clean up with the 91% Isopropyl I have at home. A tad odd, though, the thing certainly isn't dirty at all!
Hmm, that's really weird. If you let our support team know, they may troubleshoot or replace it. Email them at info@retro-bit.com.
PaTaito wrote:I've tried scowling theinternet for a way to reset the receiver somehow but have foiund nothing so i could do with some assisstance from the resident retrobit poster if possible.
I believe you're already in contact with our support team. But for everyone else, the Genesis/Mega Drive/Saturn 2.4 GHz wireless receivers will not light up while in "update mode." They will remain that way until you install the latest firmware. Once you safely disconnect, it will go back to normal. Please make sure you read the instructions included in the download. :)
it290

Post by it290 »

Have you guys updated the instructions? Because when I updated mine they read:
3. Press and hold the sync button on the USB® receiver as you plug it into a free USB® slot on your Windows PC and continue holding it until your PC detects a new device and installs it (this is the Update Mode). The blinking light will remain on once it is in Update Mode.
The fact that this behavior wasn't happening was confusing for me (and I'm sure other users as well).
PaTaito

Post by PaTaito »

Retro-Bit wrote:
PaTaito wrote:I've tried scowling theinternet for a way to reset the receiver somehow but have foiund nothing so i could do with some assisstance from the resident retrobit poster if possible.
I believe you're already in contact with our support team. But for everyone else, the Genesis/Mega Drive/Saturn 2.4 GHz wireless receivers will not light up while in "update mode." They will remain that way until you install the latest firmware. Once you safely disconnect, it will go back to normal. Please make sure you read the instructions included in the download. :)
In that case it must be the update software at fault somehow, which is notably different from the "base" firmware update software, which i successfully managed to re-install to get it working again, totally ignorant to the fact that no blinking = update mode...i literally took a punt it would update with no lights and updated while holding the button down. Everything is contrary to the manual it seems. When i have no light on my receiver, while pressing the button down and connecting the usb, the latest update software/firmware package just shows a dropdown box(where apparently my device should show up) with nothing showing up at all. I have tried 5 different usb ports too. The older "base" update software doesnt have a drop down box at all and that seems to work just fine.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Retro-Bit wrote:
Barring any delays, it looks like mid-December.
Have these been delayed? Don't see them for sale anywhere
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Must be delayed since it's exactly mid December.

jfc