OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
strayan

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by strayan »

You ignore them because you’re connecting via YPbPr.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:Awesome info, thanks. I'll check that thread out soon as well. So I'd need a way to run component into the SO, I guess a component to BNC ?
Looks to me like you'd just need some female RCA to male BNC adapters.
So as someone not at all familiar with BNC, what do I do with the HSYNC and VSYNC ports?
If you're running in YPbPr [or RGsB], you do nothing; composite sync is muxed on Y[/G].
mrArcadeX

Post by mrArcadeX »

Hello everyone!
I need a bit of advice. It's time for me to get a new TV or monitor. Right now I'm using an old Samsung 20" LED. It works pretty well with the OSSC for the most part but I need something better. I've been able to do just about everything that I've wanted to do except for I can't do FBX's optimal Saturn 352x224 for Capcom fighters. My TV won't allow me to do the H. active = 352. It says mode not supported. I'm pretty sure this TV has bad lag as well I just don't know any better. :mrgreen:

I've been reading about the ViewSonic VX3211-mh but I don't think I can get that here in the US and the other model seems to have a lot of bleed etc.?

Anyway what I'm looking for is something that'll work well with OSSC that's not too big (around maybe 24"). Also need a monitor with built in speakers plus volume control. I know some monitors have speakers but there isn't a way to control the volume.

My systems right now are Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast (with Toro), and PC Engine DUO-R. I plan on getting a SNES at some point but I don't have one right now.

Any help would be appreciated!
marqs

Post by marqs »

rama wrote:However, I think the handling of equalization pulses is a little different.
For example, on the TV5725, I do have to coast 3 to 4 pulses more, depending on the source.
It will eventually be stable and reliable with all sources (that I can test with), with the longer coast setting.
Some sources are fine with pre/post coast at 1, but right now I've settled for pre = 3, post = 7.
Maybe it's just that the TVP7002 counts in actual scanlines, and the TV5725 counts in pulses it sees.
With TVP7002 mode detection / line counting is not affected by coast setting. The first thing is thus to make sure mode is detected correctly by adjusting sync tolerance / threshold settings. After that, coast can be increased if H-PLL loses lock during Vblank due to line period variance.
rama wrote:Something is causing that even-even problem on the TVP. Maybe it's that scanline vs pulse counting.

(Is Chrono Cross on the PSX a reliable "even-even bug" test? If not, are there other common consoles to test?)
That scenario clearly has not been taken into account when the chip was designed. Chrono Cross is fairly reliable test since 240p (after intros) ends up being even-even signal almost every time, but not deterministicly so (sometimes returning from pause screen 240p ends up as odd-odd). Jaguar in 288p mode apparently uses even-even signal as well.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

marqs wrote:Chrono Cross is fairly reliable test since 240p (after intros) ends up being even-even signal almost every time, but not deterministicly so (sometimes returning from pause screen 240p ends up as odd-odd). Jaguar in 288p mode apparently uses even-even signal as well.
Silent Hill also will switch from 240p to 480i whenever you go from gameplay to menu or map.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Marqs, I was thrilled when I started working on new profiles for V85 that 384x240 in line4x now has aspect correction in the form of a 3x4 pixel ratio. Makes 384-based games look great! If I may humbly request a couple of feature updates if possibly can be done:

1. Add in a 640x240 optimal timing profile that allows for a 2x4 pixel ratio in line4X. I discovered while designing PS1 optimal timing profiles that the PS1 indeed has a 640x240 mode and a handful of games use it. I felt bad that I could not complete the task of optimally timing every 240 mode of the PS1.

2. for 512x240 (and 512x480i), please consider adding in pillar box borders such that line4X is now a 1280x960 footprint. It's kind of annoying that you can use line4X for 256x240 with pillar box borders, but not for 512x240 to achieve the same output in line4X.

Anyway, much appreciated for your time and consideration on these requests!

Sincerely,

-FBX
awe444

Post by awe444 »

FBX wrote:Add in a 640x240 optimal timing profile that allows for a 2x4 pixel ratio in line4X
The 512x240 optimized mode does 2x4 scaling in line4X already, but I agree that a dedicated 640x240 mode would be nice so that the sample rate and 640 H.active value doesn’t need to be set manually and saved as a separate profile from the 512x240 one.

For completeness, there are also some Saturn titles that have 704x240p modes (not 704x480i, but 704x240p). Some examples I’m aware of are FIFA 96, FIFA 98, and Fighters Megamix, but these all use the 704x240p mode in titles/menus only, so that’s probably not enough to justify a dedicated OSSC mode
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

FBX wrote: 2. for 512x240 (and 512x480i), please consider adding in pillar box borders such that line4X is now a 1280x960 footprint. It's kind of annoying that you can use line4X for 256x240 with pillar box borders, but not for 512x240 to achieve the same output in line4X.
You will get pillar-boxed border (for 512 h.px content) by increasing h.active to 640. As awe44 already stated, the mode multiplies horizontally by 2, and 640*2=1280. (640 h.px content would obviously fill the frame.)

To maybe further clarify, 256x240 in lx4 does 5x horizontal, thus 256*5=1280. But in 512x240, horizontal cannot be multiplied by 2.5, because only whole integers can be used as multiplication factors.
FBX

Post by FBX »

awe444 wrote:
FBX wrote:Add in a 640x240 optimal timing profile that allows for a 2x4 pixel ratio in line4X
The 512x240 optimized mode does 2x4 scaling in line4X already, but I agree that a dedicated 640x240 mode would be nice so that the sample rate and 640 H.active value doesn’t need to be set manually and saved as a separate profile from the 512x240 one.
People keep think I'm some sort of noob as I've been getting a lot of "512x240" already does this comments. Let me explain a couple of things:

1. You CANNOT use 512x240 as a base mode to extend the active graphics to 640. I've tried it and it doesn't work, the ability to extend the active horizontal dies off in the 580's if I recall.

2. When I ask for features, it's not for lack of trying. I OCD over the smallest detail when it comes to optimal timing, otherwise, I wouldn't be able to make captures like this from the PS1's 384x240 mode:

And here's a concept image of a known 640x240 game using a theoretical line4x with a 2x4 pixel ratio:

FBX

Post by FBX »

Harrumph wrote:
You will get pillar-boxed border (for 512 h.px content) by increasing h.active to 640.
Let me state for the 3rd time now since people keep claiming this:

You cannot extend the base active 512 to 640. I just tried it again to confirm and 559 is the MAX it will go to. Any value beyond that is not executed by the OSSC. Try again.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Speaking of optimal timings, there's a couple of things I've been wondering about it. Is what the optimal timings achieve basically drawing the "pixels" of the source signal as sharply as possible, using the most precise/minimal number of pixels on the flat panel display?

Are there any additional benefits to this other than attaining the sharpest pixels?

Finally, does this not risk presenting the image in a way that is very different to how it was presented on CRTs? I'm wondering this because the internal resolutions used by systems/games were often meant to be stretched, and even overscanned, on CRT displays, which obviously did not have a native resolution, nor even pixels, but just an aspect ratio given by the screen bezel.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Getting back to my dilemma, I was asked to entertain the idea that the E1S is to blame for not being able to handle extending optimal 512 to 640 for horizontal res. If anyone can prove this is the case by using a different capture card or display that does handle it, I'll will gladly apologize. I want this to work, not be right about it not working.
FBX

Post by FBX »

fernan1234 wrote:Speaking of optimal timings, there's a couple of things I've been wondering about it. Is what the optimal timings achieve basically drawing the "pixels" of the source signal as sharply as possible, using the most precise/minimal number of pixels on the flat panel display?

Are there any additional benefits to this other than attaining the sharpest pixels?

Finally, does this not risk presenting the image in a way that is very different to how it was presented on CRTs? I'm wondering this because the internal resolutions used by systems/games were often meant to be stretched, and even overscanned, on CRT displays, which obviously did not have a native resolution, nor even pixels, but just an aspect ratio given by the screen bezel.
In answer to your first part:

The concept is to align a single-point sample for each pixel of the analog signal. That sample is then digitized and integer scaled to whatever size you want (lets say line 4x). What this does is give the image a emulator-esk digital appearance that appeals to a lot of people. Think of it as like having an emulator image coming from original hardware.

To your second question: Aspect correction is a hotbed topic. Some worry about it, some don't care. Some even think square pixels look more correct on certain games like Super Mario World for example. However, one cool new feature of the OSSC as far as 384x240 goes is Marqs now has it scale vertically in 4x when you use line4x, but scales the horizontal samples at 3x. This ends up looking much better than 4x4 square pixels due to how wide 384x240 is. If there's a base 640x240 optimal timing mode added to the OSSC, you can then put it in line 4x and scale the vertical by 4 and the horizontal by 2, resulting in a perfect 4:3 image.

With that said, most people I've spoken to that want optimal timing like to use it for capture and then if they desire, use their own editing software to aspect-correct the playback.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

FBX wrote:To your second question: Aspect correction is a hotbed topic. Some worry about it, some don't care. Some even think square pixels look more correct on certain games like Super Mario World for example. However, one cool new feature of the OSSC as far as 384x240 goes is Marqs now has it scale vertically in 4x when you use line4x, but scales the horizontal samples at 3x. This ends up looking much better than 4x4 square pixels due to how wide 384x240 is. If there's a base 640x240 optimal timing mode added to the OSSC, you can then put it in line 4x and scale the vertical by 4 and the horizontal by 2, resulting in a perfect 4:3 image.
This sounds very interesting. I'd really like to see it in action when I get the chance. Thanks for this insightful reply. It sounds like line4x mode may be ideal for optimal timings? I'm also guessing that emulated scanlines may not necessarily pair well with this, especially since those apparently work best on line3x and some of the line5x modes.
Sirotaca

Post by Sirotaca »

FBX wrote:Getting back to my dilemma, I was asked to entertain the idea that the E1S is to blame for not being able to handle extending optimal 512 to 640 for horizontal res. If anyone can prove this is the case by using a different capture card or display that does handle it, I'll will gladly apologize. I want this to work, not be right about it not working.
I just tried it with my Asus LCD monitor, a Portta HDMI-to-VGA converter and a CRT, and a USB3HDCAP. All three are perfectly happy with h. active set to 640 in 512x240 line4x.

I don't think I got the sample rate quite right here, but the point is it works.
marqs

Post by marqs »

When increasing H. active, remember to make sure H.samplerate stays higher than the other H parameters combined. Depending on target samplerate, there may not be much space left for sync and backporch but fortunately modern monitors should be fine with reduced blanking.

In general, the following limitations apply to output (i.e. processed) parameters:

* H.total is an integer multiple X of H.samplerate
* Frame width W (i.e. output H.active) is typically X * H.active, but it could be any value below H.total (e.g. line5x modes force it to 1600/1920)
* Picture width (i.e. frame width minus pillarboxes) is an integer multiple Y of H.active (Y<=X), but in theory it could be any number equal/below frame width even though such non-uniform horizontal scaling would make little sense unless interpolation is used

That said, FBX's second proposal is possible with X = 2 or 3, Y=2 and W=1280, but it'd need W value hard-coded or set to 2.5x H.active (and some internal sync/backporch reduction if X=2).
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

That Street Fighter screen is immaculate holy jesus. :shock:
crt

Post by crt »

Hi,

After seeing several comments on the Samsung 204b monitor I have decided to buy a second-hand one. The monitor looks perfectly connected to the computer and the Xbox 360, but when I connect it to the ossc with the same cable as the other equipment (hdmi to dvi), vertical red lines appear on the black in all modes, even on the initial test pattern.

The ossc works perfectly on my LG 55C7, so I have an ossc that works correctly, a Samsung 204b that works correctly and an hdmi-dvi cable that works correctly, but does not work between them.

I have changed the main capacitors, but the problem persists. I have passed the dvi input to manual, I have tried with other cables, even with hdmi cables and hdmi-dvi adapter.

Do you know what it could be? Many thanks!!!

BuckoA51 wrote:Ah the 204b! £15 is a bargain.. but first of all 204bs almost universally have bad caps, you may need to get it recapped if it's not been repaired before. If you have problems with it not powering on, that means the caps are going.

The colour uniformity on them is also pretty poor, on both of mine you can really notice the colours changing as you move something from the top to the bottom of the screen.

They also kinda suck in Tate mode...oh and don't use the VGA input.

Still after getting them recapped I've had two on my desk as long as I can remember and they perform well and yes do look really neat in 5x mode with the OSSC.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

crt wrote:Hi,

After seeing several comments on the Samsung 204b monitor I have decided to buy a second-hand one. The monitor looks perfectly connected to the computer and the Xbox 360, but when I connect it to the ossc with the same cable as the other equipment (hdmi to dvi), vertical red lines appear on the black in all modes, even on the initial test pattern.

The ossc works perfectly on my LG 55C7, so I have an ossc that works correctly, a Samsung 204b that works correctly and an hdmi-dvi cable that works correctly, but does not work between them.

I have changed the main capacitors, but the problem persists. I have passed the dvi input to manual, I have tried with other cables, even with hdmi cables and hdmi-dvi adapter.

Do you know what it could be? Many thanks!!!
Have you confirmed the OSSC to be working on other displays, or with other consoles? And where did you buy your OSSC?
crt

Post by crt »

Hi,

Yes the ossc works well with my lg 55c7 tv in all modes, with 2 monitors dell of a friend and with another Philips, which would make think that the problem is the Samsung 204b monitor, but this works without problems with a mac mini and also with an xbox 360, using both the same cable that I use in the ossc ... a mystery.

It is as if there is some kind of incompatibility between the ossc and this monitor, but in several forums I have read that the users are happy with it and with the ossc : - /

The problem exists even without connecting any console. The red vertical lines on black and blue vertical lines on white already appear on the test pattern screen, in addition to a general vibration.

The ossc is version 1.6 of Kaico, purchased through Amazon. I have tested with the latest firmware with both audio and no audio (a user of a forum had had problems similar to mine with the firmware with audio on their monitor).

Thanks for your help!

Have you confirmed the OSSC to be working on other displays, or with other consoles? And where did you buy your OSSC?
marqs

Post by marqs »

I've debugged one Kaico unit that had very similar symptoms, caused a by a faulty HDMI transmitter chip. If you have a multimeter, you can use diode tester funtion to test tmds lines.
crt

Post by crt »

Hi Marqs,

I appreciate the advice but exceed my knowledge. I have a multimeter but I wouldn't know where to connect to test the tmds lines (I don't know what it is either :wink: )
marqs wrote:I've debugged one Kaico unit that had very similar symptoms, caused a by a faulty HDMI transmitter chip. If you have a multimeter, you can use diode tester funtion to test tmds lines.
crt

Post by crt »

The only difference between the connections with the other monitors that do work and the Samsung 204b is that I have to select the DVI mode instead of HDMI.

From what you say, it could be that this component that fails in some Kaico causes the DVI mode not to work but the HDMI mode does?

Thank you!

marqs wrote:I've debugged one Kaico unit that had very similar symptoms, caused a by a faulty HDMI transmitter chip. If you have a multimeter, you can use diode tester funtion to test tmds lines.
Windfish

Post by Windfish »

I am using the OSSC for my 480p consoles (GCN and Wii, so far). Needless to say, I am overwhelmed and have a lot of questions.

First, is there a recommended settings configuration for 480p content? This article recommends enabling the "Allow upsample2x" mode. Ok, but what else? What is the "VESA 640x480@60" sampling option, and should I enable it for my 480p content?

I have more questions, but I will begin with those. I appreciate the help, thanks!
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Windfish wrote:What is the "VESA 640x480@60" sampling option, and should I enable it for my 480p content?
That is for PC 640x480 mode (800 samples per line). For consoles (incl those you mention), leave at default DTV sampling (858 samples per line).
orange808

Post by orange808 »

crt wrote:Hi Marqs,

I appreciate the advice but exceed my knowledge. I have a multimeter but I wouldn't know where to connect to test the tmds lines (I don't know what it is either :wink: )
You should contact the Amazon seller and try to return it. Sounds like it wasn't manufactured very well.

Also, FYI:
https://www.videogameperfection.com/201 ... leg-osscs/
We apologise for the inconvenience
Windfish

Post by Windfish »

Harrumph wrote:
Windfish wrote:What is the "VESA 640x480@60" sampling option, and should I enable it for my 480p content?
That is for PC 640x480 mode (800 samples per line). For consoles (incl those you mention), leave at default DTV sampling (858 samples per line).
Thanks. Are you aware of any other recommended settings for 480p content? Or are the default settings fine?
marqs

Post by marqs »

Testing is easy if you have a HDMI-DVI cable. Just power off ossc, connect the cable on OSSC end and set multimeter to diode tester mode. Then hold the positive probe on DVI connector chassis (gnd) and then go through TMDS clock and data channel 0-2 pins (green and pink ones in this picture) with the negative probe. They should all read between 400 and 700 millivolts, but one of those might be shorted in your case.
crt

Post by crt »

Horreur. Thanks a lot for the info!

orange808 wrote:

You should contact the Amazon seller and try to return it. Sounds like it wasn't manufactured very well.

Also, FYI:
https://www.videogameperfection.com/201 ... leg-osscs/
crt

Post by crt »

Hi Marqs,

tomorrow I will try it! Thank you very much for your help, especially if you are the same Marqs that appears in the link that the @orange808 has shared with the issue of bootleg versions :(

marqs wrote:

Testing is easy if you have a HDMI-DVI cable. Just power off ossc, connect the cable on OSSC end and set multimeter to diode tester mode. Then hold the positive probe on DVI connector chassis (gnd) and then go through TMDS clock and data channel 0-2 pins (green and pink ones in this picture) with the negative probe. They should all read between 400 and 700 millivolts, but one of those might be shorted in your case.