Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Kiken

Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)

Post by Kiken »

Recently purchased the NA Limited Edition for Bravely Second: End Layer and a figure of Uraraka Ochako.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Got some games from Bullet Magnet. :D

And some anime from Sentai Filmworks webstore.

kitten

Post by kitten »

hell yea, higurashi. recently rewatched that thinking i'd be extremely embarrassed but frankly liked it more than i did as a teen. it frequently borders on trash and is flagrantly problematic, but i really dig how much it has an authentic core value of sticking with your friends through thick & thin. really admirable kind of ethic in today's time where callout & cancel culture are so rampant.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Steamflogger Boss

kitten wrote:hell yea, higurashi. recently rewatched that thinking i'd be extremely embarrassed but frankly liked it more than i did as a teen. it frequently borders on trash and is flagrantly problematic, but i really dig how much it has an authentic core value of sticking with your friends through thick & thin. really admirable kind of ethic in today's time where callout & cancel culture are so rampant.
I've never watched it!!! But it was $20 and I didn't want to risk it going out of stock like some other things have (bought or already had all but one of the ones that went oos thankfully).

I'm probably most excited for Say "I love you." which I'm starting tonight. The reception on it is mixed, but every review makes it sound like everything I always want out of these kind of shows. As if ridiculous melodrama or corniness could be a detriment in this genre. They are in fact a huge plus. :lol: :lol:

Tamako Market is probably the 2nd to get watched out of these.
JBueno MD

Post by JBueno MD »

Pickups from a recent trip to Japan.

PCBs! Deathsmiles art isn´t original.

Soundtracks and misc shmup stuff.

SNK stuff. MVS artwork not original.

Console related:
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Wow don't care if the artwork is original or not... pretty damn cool.
it290

Post by it290 »

I gotta get another one of those Fatal Fury hats! Tried to wash mine and screwed it up completely.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
JBueno MD

Post by JBueno MD »

it290 wrote:I gotta get another one of those Fatal Fury hats! Tried to wash mine and screwed it up completely.
Fortunately they still have them in the Fangamer site!

https://www.fangamer.com/products/terry ... e695&_ss=r
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

found some monitors locally for very cheap so I assembled a cute, WAF retro gaming corner to be staying in the living room (in its corner there when not in use, and rolled up closer to the couch when gaming). gonna put a figurine or 2 on top and it's gonna look ace.

in there is Genesis console I just got, looks absolutely mint and is an early model 1 with great sound. super stoked about that
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

@JBueno MD: that Salamander 2 and Darius Gaiden art is gorgeous!
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

FinalBaton wrote:found some monitors locally for very cheap so I assembled a cute, WAF retro gaming corner to be staying in the living room (in its corner there when not in use, and rolled up closer to the couch when gaming). gonna put a figurine or 2 on top and it's gonna look ace.

in there is Genesis console I just got, looks absolutely mint and is an early model 1 with great sound. super stoked about that
Wow very sweet set up with the PVM there.

I have something similar with PC monitors :?
JBueno MD

Post by JBueno MD »

6t8k wrote:@JBueno MD: that Salamander 2 and Darius Gaiden art is gorgeous!
Yeah I saw the Salamander 2 Pop Up art by itself in Beep a day after buying the board, I just had to have it.

That´s actually a Darius Gaiden Gamest Mook and while it´s really cool, it´s not really original kit artwork. I did preorder the Darius Cozmic International Limited Edition with comes with repro art for Gaiden, so I´m good.
Pointman

Post by Pointman »

I’ve got that exact Salamander 2 POP, bought it years ago and haven’t even got the game. Nice pick ups.
it290

Post by it290 »

Dubya gives a hearty 'Thumbs UP!' to his new SFII`CE cab. Here we see the commander-in-chief about to start a game using his favorite character, Guile.

We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
kitten

Post by kitten »

i'll bite

why do you have a george bush action figure?
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
it290

Post by it290 »

@kitten, it was a gift from a family member who appreciates my taste for irony. I think he found it at Goodwill or something, unopened.

This particular figure is _insanely_ detailed and has all of the 'Mission Accomplished' accoutrements. I've actually never taken it out of the box before tonight, but it's just such a weird thing that I can't bring myself to get rid of it. As it turned out it was the only toy I owned that was the appropriate scale for this photo, so there you have it.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

kitten wrote:i'll bite

why do you have a george bush action figure?
My dear Kitten, it could be much, much worse - he could very well have owned a 'George Bush Junour Sex Doll' if, and let's hope it doesn't, but if they are available on the public market that is :lol:
More Bromances = safer people
it290

Post by it290 »

Whoa whoa whoa, let's keep it clean. THIS IS AN IRONIC TOY
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Numerous photos, as I've been systematically photographing my recent comfort buys as they'd come in, and it's just tonight when I get around to posting them, not much of an internet person that I am these days.

First, the weirdest of all, actually...
...since no information whatsoever is given here who, when and where did piano-playing and recording of the tracks on this one. It sure was a cheap CD, but, blimey!

Spoiler

Spoiler
Though my introduction to the piece was a half-staging of it in the NFM's magnificent Red Hall a couple of years ago, re-staged next year, which I also got lucky to witness. Could be the reason why this "merely" stereo recording feels almost like an altogether different piece.

I can't seem to get enough of these. Pretty cost-effective, nicely versatile way of increasing volume & broadening frequency response.

Did I forget Summer Eyes to be this long.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Last but not least...
...whew.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

ryu

Post by ryu »

FinalBaton wrote:found some monitors locally for very cheap
man I'm jealous. great get!
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Numerous photos...
Ministry's 'Land' is a good album - Golden-Dawn is still special. I actually like 'Filth Pig' over all as a fave Ministry album but the early stuff is well worth having - takes me way, way, waaay back :D
Yep, Helmet's 'Meantime' is a good album too, good man!

I'd be interested in the Francis Bacon book. Recently, I bought a book about Hans Bellmer which may be of interest to you too:

https://www.zvab.com/Hans-Bellmer-Centr ... 1wEALw_wcB

Cheers.
More Bromances = safer people
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

ryu wrote:man I'm jealous. great get!
Thanks! it was a really rewarding experience. I had been writing/calling a ton of broadcast studios/rental shops, universities, hospitals etc in the last 2 years. too many to count. And now finally after all that work and those negative answers, I finally found this one broadcast rental shop. It was a 6 hour drive in total. I "cleaned house" so to speak (they only had a couple monitors left). They were more than happy to get some coins from their crt monitors, to be honest.

It was pretty cool to go there, they are an official Sony dealer so they had all these Sony posters/laminates describing gear and specs. I got into their warehouse and saw all those monitors and VCRs and Genlocks and interfaces etc etc it was so cool
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

FinalBaton wrote:
ryu wrote:man I'm jealous. great get!
Thanks! it was a really rewarding experience. I had been writing/calling a ton of broadcast studios/rental shops, universities, hospitals etc in the last 2 years. too many to count. And now finally after all that work and those negative answers, I finally found this one broadcast rental shop. It was a 6 hour drive in total. I "cleaned house" so to speak (they only had a couple monitors left). They were more than happy to get some coins from their crt monitors, to be honest.

It was pretty cool to go there, they are an official Sony dealer so they had all these Sony posters/laminates describing gear and specs. I got into their warehouse and saw all those monitors and VCRs and Genlocks and interfaces etc etc it was so cool
Hard works pays off for sure
How many did you end up scoring?
it290

Post by it290 »

Lots of nice stuff over the holidays, but this is probably my favorite. I was due for an upgrade. Replaced the Hori PCB with a Brook wireless board. Stick and buttons are Seimitsu (LS-56-01-AS for the stick). This thing is as smooth as butter and I love it.

FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Shelcoof wrote:Hard works pays off for sure
5 of them. 2 x PVM 20L5(one has a slight defect to the screen but still very useable), 1 x PVM 20M4U, 1 x PVM 14M4U and 1 x PVM 14M2U. all have very good tube and screen geometry

I might trade an L5(since I have 2 of them) against a very large PVM with a softer picture(I prefer those), I have a line with another retro gamer
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Steamflogger Boss

Sick. I would have been tempted by the random bullshit too if it was cheapish lol.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Sick. I would have been tempted by the random bullshit too if it was cheapish lol.
Yeah I was tempted by it too. You know me, lol. But that other stuff wasn't for sale I don't think. Plus I had only brought enough cash for the monitors.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

FinalBaton wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:Hard works pays off for sure
5 of them. 2 x PVM 20L5(one has a slight defect to the screen but still very useable), 1 x PVM 20M4U, 1 x PVM 14M4U and 1 x PVM 14M2U. all have very good tube and screen geometry

I might trade an L5(since I have 2 of them) against a very large PVM with a softer picture(I prefer those), I have a line with another retro gamer
Wow that's pretty sweet!

I've always wanted a PVM... I've always had that itch to see how good they actually looked in person. With ebay prices and all there is no way I'm going to spend that kind of cash to experience what its like.

I guess I'll make due with my consumer grade Sony WEGA CRT TV. People say the later models are almost just as good as a PVM but I'll never know really until I see it for my own :cry:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

RE: Obiwanshinobi

Happy to see those Young Gods CDs! :)
It's a band I very rarely hear anyone talk about, even within the scene of people you'd expect to be into that kinda stuff.

But I actually saw them in concert a couple of weeks ago, for the first time ever. Their first time playing here since 1995, too! It was a pretty fucking awesome experience. Half the show was their new album which came out in 2019, but I didn't mind, it was honestly very good. Especially this track.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Shelcoof wrote:Wow that's pretty sweet!

I've always wanted a PVM... I've always had that itch to see how good they actually looked in person. With ebay prices and all there is no way I'm going to spend that kind of cash to experience what its like.

I guess I'll make due with my consumer grade Sony WEGA CRT TV. People say the later models are almost just as good as a PVM but I'll never know really until I see it for my own :cry:
tbh, while they're interesting on a technical level, they're not any more fun to game on. The high end models are so damn sharp and have so many columns or phospors, that you don't actually have a "crt feel" when gaming on them. Which is very strange experience.

I actually like a good consumer set or prosumer set or low tier pro monitor, way better than I like the monster PVM. My fave set that I own at the moment, is actually a consumer Sony from the '80s that has RGB. I'm perfectly happy with it. If I ever happen to stumble upon my grail for cheap(a large low tier PVM) then so be it, but if not then that's perfectly fine. And I'm not even making this up to comfort you : while I was thinkering with those high end PVMs, I was legit missing my consumer Sony and couldn't wait to game on it over the holidays(it's at my parents')

A good consumer set with RGB or component is a FANTASTIC way to enjoy retro gaming, and it's one of the best pictures you can get for these old grafx IMO. It's more flattering to those grafx' shading and has a more interesting grain. with a great RGB-to-component transcoder (or the HD Retrovision cables), you'll get an ace picture on a consumer crt. consumer sets are way bigger too!

Where are you at? I can always notify you if I see a cheap PVM in your area, I search that stuff a lot. You're in Ontario right? which part?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-