Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Uzumaki

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by Uzumaki »

ldeveraux wrote:
Uzumaki wrote:Are there any adapters available in the US to pass component through SCART that work with the gscartsw?
Which do you want to convert to which? How does your connection ultimately terminate, SCART or component?
No conversions.
I thought you could pass component video thru the scart port on the gscart switch with an adapter. For example, plug in PS2 component video into gscart and have it output component video over the scart output and use component video on SCART input port on the OSSC.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Uzumaki wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
Uzumaki wrote:Are there any adapters available in the US to pass component through SCART that work with the gscartsw?
Which do you want to convert to which? How does your connection ultimately terminate, SCART or component?
No conversions.
I thought you could pass component video thru the scart port on the gscart switch with an adapter. For example, plug in PS2 component video into gscart and have it output component video over the scart output and use component video on SCART input port on the OSSC.
I'm confused, presumably your SCART cables already pass RGB, which would port directly to the OSSC. Do you have component or SCART cables?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:
Uzumaki wrote:No conversions.
I'm confused, presumably your SCART cables already pass RGB, which would port directly to the OSSC. Do you have component or SCART cables?
A regular SCART cable would transport YPbPr just fine; however, if you have a newer gscartsw (5.x), and there's nothing else that would interfere, like other YPbPr connections, you can switch the PS2 to output RGB and enable the gscart's sync stripping feature to rewrite RGsB to RGBS.
Uzumaki

Post by Uzumaki »

nmalinoski wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
Uzumaki wrote:No conversions.
A regular SCART cable would transport YPbPr just fine; however, if you have a newer gscartsw (5.x), and there's nothing else that would interfere, like other YPbPr connections, you can switch the PS2 to output RGB and enable the gscart's sync stripping feature to rewrite RGsB to RGBS.
Ok thanks, that's good to know. But, I was wondering if there was a SCART adapter so I could plug in my HD Retrovision cables into the SCART switch. Like this: https://www.amazon.de/Scart-Svideo-Comp ... B0014HB7T6
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Uzumaki wrote:Ok thanks, that's good to know. But, I was wondering if there was a SCART adapter so I could plug in my HD Retrovision cables into the SCART switch. Like this: https://www.amazon.de/Scart-Svideo-Comp ... B0014HB7T6
Shims like those do exist, but I've not heard of one that wasn't shoddily built, and I don't believe the community has one (anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

I expect you'd need to buy something like this (18% off for Black Friday right now!), plus some female RCA to female RCA and some female BNC to female RCA adapters.

Personally, if I had a fully-SCART setup instead of my separate YPbPr chain, I'd just buy a SCART cable (like this one), because it's a single item that will do the job, so no chance of interference from multiple adapters, if you're paranoid about that; considering shipping and taxes, it'll probably be slightly cheaper than the adapter and parts; and it'll take slightly less effort to assemble and maintain.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Uzumaki wrote:Ok thanks, that's good to know. But, I was wondering if there was a SCART adapter so I could plug in my HD Retrovision cables into the SCART switch. Like this: https://www.amazon.de/Scart-Svideo-Comp ... B0014HB7T6
https://www.beharbros.com/garo

or wait for this:

https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/comp2rgb
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:

or wait for this:

The Garo is $85, and the COMP2RGB is $70 (and out of stock). For the specified use case, I would think these would be less desirable than a $20 to $40 SCART cable.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

The garo is complete trash. It's really badly designed. Unbuffered video output and an invalid csync signal. The scanliner works by shorting the video line to ground on a timer. You'll get terrible blooming and distortion, and a lot of devices won't correctly handle its bullshit csync signal.

Ste and I made an RGB/sync bypass mod for the thing which fixes many of the worst problems (by buffering the output and using the luma sync instead of the broken csync), but guess how beharbros fixed these critical design flaws: they removed the scart connector from newly sold units, which was the only output that supported csync. Still unbuffered, still shorting video to ground.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

nmalinoski wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:

or wait for this:

The Garo is $85, and the COMP2RGB is $70 (and out of stock). For the specified use case, I would think these would be less desirable than a $20 to $40 SCART cable.
I'm done offering alternatives anymore, he clearly has his mind made up. It's not a good solution at all, but that's what's available within his constraints.
Guspaz wrote:The garo is complete trash. It's really badly designed. Unbuffered video output and an invalid csync signal. The scanliner works by shorting the video line to ground on a timer. You'll get terrible blooming and distortion, and a lot of devices won't correctly handle its bullshit csync signal.

Ste and I made an RGB/sync bypass mod for the thing which fixes many of the worst problems (by buffering the output and using the luma sync instead of the broken csync), but guess how beharbros fixed these critical design flaws: they removed the scart connector from newly sold units, which was the only output that supported csync. Still unbuffered, still shorting video to ground.
This doesn't surprise me, the Toro wasn't great either considering the crummy cable pops out all the time. Among other things, it just wasn't the best solution
Gara

Post by Gara »

Retro access custom cable builder. This cable only works on the newest version of the gscartsw. Works great, I'm surprised these adapters don't have a dedicated listing. That said I'll probably be replacing mine with a Comp2rgb when it is released. That way I'll never have to worry about selecting ypbpr ever again.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Dof1e8v

Hook it up to a signal sensing ypbpr switch and it's a beautiful thing. It's also nice not having to run component cables to my ossc.

Edit: added cable builder configuration to gallery.
Last edited by Gara on Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windfish

Post by Windfish »

Amazing. A thorough Google search reveals that plenty of people have asked for 480p settings, but no one has been able to find any.

In any case, here are two questions that I have been meaning to ask:

1) Is there any way to address lag that seems to be present? Melee on the GCN does not play quite right.

2) Scanlines. Should 480p content have scanlines? They seem to smooth over the fuzzy, jagged mess a bit. But is that really authentic to the source?
Kez

Post by Kez »

Assuming you are talking about OSSC.. There is not really as much to tweak for 480p. x2 (960p) for a sharper image, upsample2x actually kinda softens it a bit and looks pretty nice. If you don't want the sharpness you can pass through the signal assuming your display does a decent job with 480p.

Any lag you are experiencing via OSSC is from your display. The OSSC isn't even really capable of producing meaningful amounts of lag. Use a low latency display, enable game mode.

480p content doesn't really have as compelling an argument for scanlines as 240p.. But ultimately it's personal preference. 480p on a high resolution CRT does produce small scanlines and some people like that look.
Windfish

Post by Windfish »

Hey, Kez. ^^ I didn't realize that the post above was in submitted in this thread - it was intended for the OSSC thread, but I had this one tabbed, haha.

Thank you for the response! It's entirely possible that Melee is playing weird for me because I have logged in over a thousand hours with the latest Ultimate, and the timing for Melee is just no longer familiar to me. I will have to look into it because your explanation is sound.
Chomolonzo

Post by Chomolonzo »

I live down in Australia where PAL is the standard for consoles and whatnot. I'd like to get a PSOne (the smaller redesign of the PS1) to play my NTSC games on. As it stands I have two options: an NTSC PSOne, or a PAL PSOne with a onechip modchip installed. Now, a little bird told me that with the SCPH-102 PSOne, unlike older models like the 1002 or 5002, I don't need to worry about the frequency timings being slightly off with playing NTSC games on a modded PAL unit. Is this really the case, or do I need to instal an oscillator as well - or really just get an NTSC machine?
rama

Post by rama »

Chomolonzo:
Every version of the original PSX has slightly incorrect timings if you run out of region games.
What you read about only concerns the color capability when using Composite or S-Video.

The timing differences aren't normally an issue though, so just get a console in good shape and chip it.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I live down in Australia where PAL is the standard for consoles and whatnot. I'd like to get a PSOne (the smaller redesign of the PS1) to play my NTSC games on. As it stands I have two options: an NTSC PSOne, or a PAL PSOne with a onechip modchip installed. Now, a little bird told me that with the SCPH-102 PSOne, unlike older models like the 1002 or 5002, I don't need to worry about the frequency timings being slightly off with playing NTSC games on a modded PAL unit. Is this really the case, or do I need to instal an oscillator as well - or really just get an NTSC machine?
PSOne's are no different in this regard. The timings are far enough out that it can cause quite some trouble with certain HDTVs (yes even with RGB and/or a scaler), but shouldn't cause any trouble at all if you're running a CRT.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Chomolonzo

Post by Chomolonzo »

rama wrote:Chomolonzo:
Every version of the original PSX has slightly incorrect timings if you run out of region games.
What you read about only concerns the color capability when using Composite or S-Video.

The timing differences aren't normally an issue though, so just get a console in good shape and chip it.
Yeah I'd read about the colour capacity thing and also figured the timings would be off, but this guy commented on one of my posts and said I didn't have to worry about the latter. Not long after I posted the question here he went back on that - he'd misread. Ended up getting a boxed NTSC PSOne for a not insignificant sum, but when you're on the other side of the planet and it's a case of give me original packaging or give me death, your options are limited.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Chomolonzo wrote:
rama wrote:Chomolonzo:

Yeah I'd read about the colour capacity thing and also figured the timings would be off, but this guy commented on one of my posts and said I didn't have to worry about the latter. Not long after I posted the question here he went back on that - he'd misread. Ended up getting a boxed NTSC PSOne for a not insignificant sum, but when you're on the other side of the planet and it's a case of give me original packaging or give me death, your options are limited.
Personally, I have had more issues with the PSOne (small version) and image quality than I have with the older grey units. I have had two of them that had bad electrolytics I had to replace, and neither of them have the pq of my other units. Also, they are especially sensitive to power supply issues, so, if you are going that route, I would highly recommend sticking with a stock sony power brick.

I get that a sample of (2) isn't a definitive word on the subject, but that was my experience. I'm 100% about the PSU sensitivity tho.
rama

Post by rama »

vol.2 wrote:I have had two of them that had bad electrolytics I had to replace
Oh yeah, that Composite Video coupling capacitor in each PSone is low quality.
With a sample size of about 10, I had to replace it maybe 3-4 times. It's definitely a big problem if you can't replace it.

The picture quality is okay though, I think.
RGB is a little hot / maxing out the range, and most consoles don't use the quality Y-trap circuit, but it looks fine to me overall.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

This is a stock NES (Nintendo) front-loader using decent quality composite cables, stock power supply, on a CRT.

See the S-shaped pattern (it seems to move down the screen too)? My other two NES don't do this with the same video/power cables. Ideas on where to look? I ordered a $4 cap kit for it (which it could use regardless because it's super old), but just in case there's another area I should look.

On a similar NES subject, my other backup NES (with better video output) only likes certain controllers. These same controllers work in multiple other NES consoles. I have a pair that work, but that was like 2 out of 10 or 12 - all those others don't work on this particular NES. None of my 3x light guns work either. Any ideas?
oldgamer

Post by oldgamer »

Hi all.

Are Extron units durable?

Can I just buy , say, a used 203rxi and expect it to last many years if subjected to regular home usage?

Does it make sense to buy multiple used ones to serve as backup units?
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

What's the status on premodded wiidual wiis? Been meaning to have one put together, and I'd like to replace my white wii with a black one, so I was thinking I'd buy one premodded. Haven't had any luck finding one outside of the japanese unit citrus3000's selling atm.
Danexmurder

Post by Danexmurder »

Dochartaigh wrote:This is a stock NES (Nintendo) front-loader using decent quality composite cables, stock power supply, on a CRT.

See the S-shaped pattern (it seems to move down the screen too)? My other two NES don't do this with the same video/power cables. Ideas on where to look? I ordered a $4 cap kit for it (which it could use regardless because it's super old), but just in case there's another area I should look.

On a similar NES subject, my other backup NES (with better video output) only likes certain controllers. These same controllers work in multiple other NES consoles. I have a pair that work, but that was like 2 out of 10 or 12 - all those others don't work on this particular NES. None of my 3x light guns work either. Any ideas?
When I had rolling interference after my NES RGB mod I picked up a triad power supply and it stopped the interference entirely.
Danexmurder

Post by Danexmurder »

I have a question about using Github to do PCB projects myself. There are a handful of projects that I would like to do but I can't figure out how to find the parts list I need to populate the board. I was thinking about doing the Virtual Tap. https://github.com/furrtek/VirtualTap Am I just missing something obvious? Thanks!
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Danexmurder wrote:When I had rolling interference after my NES RGB mod I picked up a triad power supply and it stopped the interference entirely.
I posted on a FB retro group and they said replacing the power cap(s) on the console should fix this. The same power supply works on two other NES consoles (with the same video cable) so the power should be good – I have another couple to try though.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

oldgamer wrote:Hi all.

Are Extron units durable?

Can I just buy , say, a used 203rxi and expect it to last many years if subjected to regular home usage?

Does it make sense to buy multiple used ones to serve as backup units?
they are fairly durable, but many of them were pulled from working environments where they saw heavy hours of use. ive had to replace the capacitors in the power supply of one unit. for me, doing that if i have to is a better solution than having lots of them.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

rama wrote: RGB is a little hot / maxing out the range, and most consoles don't use the quality Y-trap circuit, but it looks fine to me overall.
the hot RGB signal causes my PVM to puke color to the point of subtle artifacts. maybe i just need a different cable without caps in it or something
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

ldeveraux wrote:

or wait for this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scart-Adapter- ... SwoVNaQ~aM

This worked for me for taking 4-BNC RGBS with RCA adapters out of a distribution amplifier and into a SCART to YPbPR from RetroTink
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

What do people use to connect a Dreamcast to a PVM-20L5 cleanly nowadays?

Is there a single cable (SCART or DE-15 or BNC) that has all the functions of a VGA box in addition to sync combining? (The 20L5 only has one sync jack, so H and V syncs need to be combined to one wire.).
I'm kinda out of the loop on Dreamcast cables advancements. That'd be a very clean, clutter-free way of going about it, I'd love that.

I have Extron interfaces I could use, but that's another box and power cable, and that means I'd need to use the Kuro box I currently own, and that's way too much of a clutter.

In case there's no such cable : Can Extron matrixes be programmed to take in separate H and V sync, but spit out combined sync?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-