Sony BVM alignment problems

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Nogame

Sony BVM alignment problems

Post by Nogame »

So, do the BVM-14 (BVM-14F5U, etc) monitors have the normal OSD alignment options which are available for other monitors? Each one that I've tried has many convergence settings and maybe other settings which are inaccessible. The options are blue text in the alignment and maintenance menus. What is the damn problem? Is only the 19"+ version allowed exclusive adjustments? Secret service mode/code/switch/procedure/etc?
Last edited by Nogame on Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ikaruga11

Re: Sony BVM alignment blocked

Post by Ikaruga11 »

The smaller the BVM, the less calibration features it has.
Nogame

Post by Nogame »

I see the multiple settings displayed but they're inaccessible? Is this normal for a Sony BVM? Is there a common system/firmware fault? Little info provided in the manual (4-9), but those settings are mentioned after the 20F5U only, without explanation for the 14F5U. So, I was hoping the monitor is better than a PVM - but maybe not apparently.
Nogame

Post by Nogame »

Well, maybe others can confirm that the smaller BVM monitors in a series are lacking features. My monitor has no major issues yet, but it would definitely benefit from the missing alignment settings - despite its size. The convergence varies across the entire screen, so the convergence basically could not be improved without those missing features or manual servicing from a experienced tech.
nissling

Post by nissling »

On the 14*5 models (with integrated control boards) you must make sure that they are working in single mode as group will make alignment settings unavailable. Had this problem on an A14 myself.

If you're in single mode and have maintaince blued out chances are the EEPROM holding the firmware is dead.
Nogame

Post by Nogame »

I've seen a similar problem with a different BVM 14" monitor before. I assume that the monitor is in single mode but I wouldn't know how to check it. I'll probably resort to asking a technician somewhere in regards to the inaccessible adjustments, but someone with experience using the 14" BVM models might help.
nissling

Post by nissling »

On the F series you go into the address menu (accessible on the 10R) to set single or group mode. From what you're describing to me essentially everythings points at it being used in group mode which isn't strange considering that several 14" screen were usually used simultaneously.

I strongly recommend you going through the operational manual of whatever monitor you're using.
SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

Nogame wrote:I see the multiple settings displayed but they're inaccessible?
nissling wrote: If you're in single mode and have maintaince blued out chances are the EEPROM holding the firmware is dead.
Somewhere in the menus you should be able to find your firmware version. I had a 14F5E which had some of its maintenance features blued out. The reason was an old (or probably damaged) firmware version on the EEPROM. After flashing the firmware the menu items were available.

The latest version 1.40 is available. To flash it, you can take the EEPROM out of its socket and flash it with an external programmer. Or you could try finding a memory card although i would not recommend this route.
Nogame

Post by Nogame »

SuperSpongo wrote:
Nogame wrote:
Somewhere in the menus you should be able to find your firmware version. I had a 14F5E which had some of its maintenance features blued out. The reason was an old (or probably damaged) firmware version on the EEPROM. After flashing the firmware the menu items were available.
Do you recall the final page of the alignment settings and maintenance E board settings being blued? I'll try to go through the menu again tomorrow and check those couple things. Hopefully the firmware is not the problem since I may not be able to update it personally. The manual doesn't mention those settings after the 14" instructions - coincidence? Did your 14F5E have multiple horizontal convergence settings?

SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

Sorry, I can't remember anymore. It was March 2018. I do remember something essential missing, like horizontal position or something. After the update, it was available.
This is the EEPROM's datasheet. It's programmable with a standard TL866, for instance.

https://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet- ... 0P-15.html

It's sitting on the Remote ISR board.
Nogame

Post by Nogame »

No luck. Software version 1.40. The address button leads me to believe the monitor is in single mode, and group mode with 000 address just reduces the available settings further.
Nogame

Post by Nogame »

These 14" BVM monitors just seem to be lacking (~PVM). If someone has actually accessed the alignment settings on a monitor such as BVM-14F5, let me know! Thanks
SuperSpongo

Re: Sony BVM alignment problems

Post by SuperSpongo »

That's sad to hear.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Nogame wrote:These 14" BVM monitors just seem to be lacking (~PVM). If someone has actually accessed the alignment settings on a monitor such as BVM-14F5, let me know! Thanks
I don't have a 14F5U anymore, but it's common knowledge (well, I guess if you're into these monitors ;) that the 14" will have a few less features than the 20" version, just as the D-series D24 has a few less features vs. it's bigger brother the D32.

Have you given the service manual a read? Page 4-10 of the service manual goes into some of the convergence settings for example the 14" should have. If these are listed there but are blued out in your exact 14" BVM then something could be wrong or corrupt with it.
Nogame

Post by Nogame »

I cannot find a service manual. The Operation and Maintenance Manual lists those missing settings in the 20" monitor instructions only, as I mentioned earlier. So, I just wanted to confirm with someone else who owns the same type of monitor, that the settings are locked out.

The software version doesn't seem to matter. So, the BVM 14" monitor is disappointing without further adjustments available - despite having the same software and control unit as the 20" model.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Nogame wrote:I cannot find a service manual. The Operation and Maintenance Manual lists those missing settings in the 20" monitor instructions only, as I mentioned earlier. So, I just wanted to confirm with someone else who owns the same type of monitor, that the settings are locked out.

The software version doesn't seem to matter. So, the BVM 14" monitor is disappointing without further adjustments available - despite having the same software and control unit as the 20" model.

Service manual is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/wiki/speclist
Right around that area I outlined above is all the convergence settings for the 14".

It's also not about the software for some of this - it's about which parts each monitor has which allows certain things to be tweaked either via an OSD menu, or manually/physically. If you're talking about convergence for example there's a manual (non-software) way to adjust that as well (just like most CRT's out there).
Nogame

Post by Nogame »

Right, the 14" monitors require manual adjustments then. I did use that same manual, but so far the convergence hasn't improved. The picture is imbalanced and convergence problems just shift. I was just surprised that electrical adjustments through OSD were impossible, regardless of software version/model revision. The 20" version seems much simpler and precise - too bad I won't pay for shipping one.