Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
strayan

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by strayan »

Fudoh wrote:
I thought to get the vp30 down to 6ms you needed to enable game mode 1 which requires the upgrade card.
for 480i signals. For 480p signals you you get the low lag automatically as long as you disable cadence detection and don't enable PREP (which is re-interlacing).
Cheers for the clarification.

I don’t even think you can enable prep on a vp30 without the upgrade so no worries there.

Edit: does anyone use prep? I have a vp50pro and haven’t found a scenario where it’s useful.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

PREP is nonsense these day. But in the very early days of DVI/HDMI DVD players, there have been units on which 480i wasn't available digitally (or only through SDI mods). PREP could be used to undo the DVD players deinterlacing and let the DVDO handle it instead. Very borderline scenario and I doubt that many people really used it.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

strayan wrote:cheers for the clarification.
Guess I can't be trusted right ?
This damn forum, that attitude is too common. :?

FYI Fudoh even if he is the most savvy on the topic is not the only member who's experienced many scalers and doublers, some like me here have also owned and used many including several DVDO's of course.

Some of us did things with those machines the others didn't and found about specificities even Fudoh didn't know about.
for instance I found about the EDGE's lag issues
and I was the only one here who could tell which low lag scalers/doublers can handle a pcb like Dogyuun
I'm sure there's several other cases of members with a significant experience, part of which Fudoh ignores.

If you guys cannot trust anyone but Fudoh then, thinking he knows everything and can answer all questions correctly, well, you're wrong and possibly missing out on some other valuable advice here and there.

@Fudoh: it's not against you dude :wink:
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Xyga wrote:
strayan wrote:cheers for the clarification.
Guess I can't be trusted right ?
This damn forum, that attitude is too common. :?

FYI Fudoh even if he is the most savvy on the topic is not the only member who's experienced many scalers and doublers, some like me here have also owned and used many including several DVDO's of course.

Some of us did things with those machines the others didn't and found about specificities even Fudoh didn't know about.
for instance I found about the EDGE's lag issues
and I was the only one here who could tell which low lag scalers/doublers can handle a pcb like Dogyuun
I'm sure there's several other cases of members with a significant experience, part of which Fudoh ignores.

If you guys cannot trust anyone but Fudoh then, thinking he knows everything and can answer all questions correctly, well, you're wrong and possibly missing out on some other valuable advice here and there.

@Fudoh: it's not against you dude :wink:
All you do is stir up drama and insert your (apparently) incorrect knowledge into conversations. If you'd step down from your pedestal for a minute I think you'd see what we all do.
Axelay

Post by Axelay »

nmalinoski wrote:
Axelay wrote:Rtypes on the playstation 1

Or Rtype cd on the pc engine which is the best version or the one with the most bells and whistles ?

Cheers
Here's a relevant thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6996

That's incredible thank you
Arms installation complete Good luck
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

ldeveraux wrote: incorrect knowledge
What did he say that was incorrect?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

ldeveraux wrote:All you do is stir up drama and insert your (apparently) incorrect knowledge into conversations. If you'd step down from your pedestal for a minute I think you'd see what we all do.
Except:

#1 i'm actually right and what I posted makes sense
#2 it's about the third time lately you intrude and ridicule yourself trying to say 'wtf are you saying xyga you re wrong' yet I am not and you are just showing your ignorance
#3 the guy who's been stalking me and trying to provoke drama, while totally not concerned and uncalled for, in several threads and also insulting me in PM....IS YOU

#4 try this again and I'm reporting you to moderation with all material as proof.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Xyga wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:All you do is stir up drama and insert your (apparently) incorrect knowledge into conversations. If you'd step down from your pedestal for a minute I think you'd see what we all do.
Except:

#1 i'm actually right and what I posted makes sense
#2 it's about the third time lately you intrude and ridicule yourself trying to say 'wtf are you saying xyga you re wrong' yet I am not and you are just showing your ignorance
#3 the guy who's been stalking me and trying to provoke drama, while totally not concerned and uncalled for, in several threads and also insulting me in PM....IS YOU

#4 try this again and I'm reporting you to moderation with all material as proof.
The biggest issues I have with this platform is not being able to ignore users' posts. If I could do that, this wouldn't be an issue.

You're reply in question was you whining about a user expecting advice from someone other than yourself. You're dramatizing things for no reason, and it wears thin. Feel free to "report me to moderation" if you think it will solve anything. If you have the freedom to act like a baby, then why don't I? If you honestly think I'm stalking you, you need to reevaluate your ego and get over yourself. I want to interact with you as little as possible, preferably not at all.
strygo

Post by strygo »

ldeveraux wrote:The biggest issues I have with this platform is not being able to ignore users' posts. If I could do that, this wouldn't be an issue.
I'm not commenting at all on this current exchange (I have no opinion).

I found that you can block users in Tapatalk and their posts are hidden by default even on the website. It's come in handy to say the least. :wink:
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

ANYWAY....

Was playing around with the audio on my 1CHIP-01 SNES, and noticed that if you remove resistors R23 and R26, you get much cleaner and less muffled audio. Anyone know what exactly those 2 resistors do, and if it's safe to remove them?
rama

Post by rama »

Lol, usually it's not okay to remove resistors around audio amplifiers :p

If it brightens the sound, they're probably part of a filter.
With audio though, often times people perceive clearer sound simply by making it louder.
So the resistors could also be part of opamp biasing.

As far as I know, there are no public schematics for 1Chip consoles.
You could trace where the resistors connect to.

Edit:
If this is still about removing hum, it'd be best if you got an optical out mod for your SNES.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

ldeveraux wrote:The biggest issues I have with this platform is not being able to ignore users' posts. If I could do that, this wouldn't be an issue
True, if I could block people like you I'd enjoy this place much more.
ldeveraux wrote:You're reply in question was you whining about a user expecting advice from someone other than yourself. You're dramatizing things for no reason, and it wears thin.
There's really something wrong with your head.

Summary.

- It started here;
http://shmups.system11.org/ucp.php?i=pm ... 0&p=695851
random guy I don't know, never had an exchange with on the forums, suddenly intrudes judging wtf I post and manners in a conversation he's not part of.
I apologized to readers that it didn't have to be there in plain view, but also because you meddled where you didn't belong I appropriately offered you to mind your own business.
Remember that, I started polite.

- But that wasn't enough for you, apparently you have certain urges, so you PM'd me insults which I replied in the appropriate tone:
Spoiler
- Since then you've been watching me, and posted agressive shit out of nowhere for absolutely no reason, once again intruding and acting like you are entitled to be my personal forums behaviour / personality daddy-cop
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1380071
and today: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 6#p1388226
If that's not stalking / harassing then what the fuck ? in each case who fucking called you there to do that ?
ldeveraux wrote:Feel free to "report me to moderation" if you think it will solve anything.
No you're right I'm keeping this public because evryone needs to see what a narcissit pyschopath you are.
ldeveraux wrote:you need to reevaluate your ego and get over yourself.
Ego you say?
ldeveraux wrote:insert your (apparently) incorrect knowledge into conversations.
Apparently it's not just my personal Morale Police you think you are entitled to do, sorry I didn't know you were such a hardware forums authority, right?
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 7#p1364257
PEOPLE ARE WRONG! LDVEREAUX KNOWS, HE CAN POLICE -APPARENTLY WRONG- PEOPLE LIKE XYGA!
And even if he doesn't realize he's ridiculing himself attempting to school someone who knows better on a topic than his pitiful ass, IT'S ALRIGHT OFFICER LDVEREAUX IS FORUMS RIGHTEOUSNESS INCARNATE.
ldeveraux wrote:I want to interact with you as little as possible, preferably not at all.
This is, just... do you even realize what you are doing ? :shock:
You fucking attacked and chased me on the forums, I hadn't even have any conversation or issue with you, didn't know you, you did that out of nowhere you fucking MANIAC!.

ALL THE THINGS YOU HAVE AGAINST ME ARE ACTUALLY THINGS YOU DO, WHAT AN ABSOLUTE NUTCASE! :lol:

Just fucking continue to try me, bitch. Come.
Or try and learn to mind your own fucking business, actually learn the lessons you think you are entitled to give when you're obviously completely lacking, you little shit.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Xyga wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:The biggest issues I have with this platform is not being able to ignore users' posts. If I could do that, this wouldn't be an issue
True, if I could block people like you I'd enjoy this place much more.
ldeveraux wrote:You're reply in question was you whining about a user expecting advice from someone other than yourself. You're dramatizing things for no reason, and it wears thin.
There's really something wrong with your head.

Summary.

- It started here;
http://shmups.system11.org/ucp.php?i=pm ... 0&p=695851
random guy I don't know, never had an exchange with on the forums, suddenly intrudes judging wtf I post and manners in a conversation he's not part of.
I apologized to readers that it didn't have to be there in plain view, but also because you meddled where you didn't belong I appropriately offered you to mind your own business.
Remember that, I started polite.

- But that wasn't enough for you, apparently you have certain urges, so you PM'd me insults which I replied in the appropriate tone:
Spoiler
- Since then you've been watching me, and posted agressive shit out of nowhere for absolutely no reason, once again intruding and acting like you are entitled to be my personal forums behaviour / personality daddy-cop
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1380071
and today: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 6#p1388226
If that's not stalking / harassing then what the fuck ? in each case who fucking called you there to do that ?
ldeveraux wrote:Feel free to "report me to moderation" if you think it will solve anything.
No you're right I'm keeping this public because evryone needs to see what a narcissit pyschopath you are.
ldeveraux wrote:you need to reevaluate your ego and get over yourself.
Ego you say?
ldeveraux wrote:insert your (apparently) incorrect knowledge into conversations.
Apparently it's not just my personal Morale Police you think you are entitled to do, sorry I didn't know you were such a hardware forums authority, right?
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 7#p1364257
PEOPLE ARE WRONG! LDVEREAUX KNOWS, HE CAN POLICE -APPARENTLY WRONG- PEOPLE LIKE XYGA!
And even if he doesn't realize he's ridiculing himself attempting to school someone who knows better on a topic than his pitiful ass, IT'S ALRIGHT OFFICER LDVEREAUX IS FORUMS RIGHTEOUSNESS INCARNATE.
ldeveraux wrote:I want to interact with you as little as possible, preferably not at all.
This is, just... do you even realize what you are doing ? :shock:
You fucking attacked and chased me on the forums, I hadn't even have any conversation or issue with you, didn't know you, you did that out of nowhere you fucking MANIAC!.

ALL THE THINGS YOU HAVE AGAINST ME ARE ACTUALLY THINGS YOU DO, WHAT AN ABSOLUTE NUTCASE! :lol:

Just fucking continue to try me, bitch. Come.
Or try and learn to mind your own fucking business, actually learn the lessons you think you are entitled to give when you're obviously completely lacking, you little shit.
Oh God, I'm not reading any of that. Id rather be banned.
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

rama wrote:Lol, usually it's not okay to remove resistors around audio amplifiers :p

If it brightens the sound, they're probably part of a filter.
With audio though, often times people perceive clearer sound simply by making it louder.
So the resistors could also be part of opamp biasing.

As far as I know, there are no public schematics for 1Chip consoles.
You could trace where the resistors connect to.

Edit:
If this is still about removing hum, it'd be best if you got an optical out mod for your SNES.
It's actually not about the hum and noise (I kinda just gave up chasing that) I was genuinely just curious as to weather it was safe to remove those 2 resistors since the audio is genuinely more crisp without them.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Xyga wrote:
strayan wrote:How much lag does a dvdo VP30 without the ABT102D upgrade add on 480p sources and above? 2 frames?
Wow nothing this big, only 6ms when the output is framelocked.

It's only deinterlacing mode 2 that produces about 2 frames (or was it less?) everything else is 6ms (8 for PAL I think)

Tho I'm saying this from memory as mine has temporarily returned to its box and am using the 50pro instead since I have only one well-working PSU for both.

You can check that using the lip-sync slider, decrease it to negative values, the lower it gets is as much lag as the VP30 is currently producing/adding to the chain.
I've verified this with LB tester, it is reliable AFAIK.
Thanks for this.
strayan

Post by strayan »

My brother has a TV with rgbhv bnc inputs (the only input left unpopulated) and asked me whether he can hook his ps2 up to it. I have no idea so I checked the specs on the TV and the manual lists the bnc input as BNC (R, G, B, H/CS, V). I assume the CS denotes csync is that likely to be right? How would I test this?

Secondly what would be the best cable for this? I see you can get a ps2 vga cable (they seem pretty rare though) so maybe I can just grab that and a vga to bnc breakout cable? I guess I could also buy a scart cable with a built in video sync separator and then pair it with a RGB SCART Female to BNC adapter?

I have no experience with the ps2 so thanks for helping.
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

strayan wrote:My brother has a TV with rgbhv bnc inputs (the only input left unpopulated) and asked me whether he can hook his ps2 up to it. I have no idea so I checked the specs on the TV and the manual lists the bnc input as BNC (R, G, B, H/CS, V). I assume the CS denotes csync is that likely to be right? How would I test this?

Secondly what would be the best cable for this? I see you can get a ps2 vga cable (they seem pretty rare though) so maybe I can just grab that and a vga to bnc breakout cable? I guess I could also buy a scart cable with a built in video sync separator and then pair it with a RGB SCART Female to BNC adapter?

Just get an RGB scart cable, and a scart to BNC adapter. Should work fine.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

AndehX wrote:
strayan wrote:My brother has a TV with rgbhv bnc inputs (the only input left unpopulated) and asked me whether he can hook his ps2 up to it. I have no idea so I checked the specs on the TV and the manual lists the bnc input as BNC (R, G, B, H/CS, V). I assume the CS denotes csync is that likely to be right? How would I test this?

Unless you can confirm that the TV will take composite video or luma as sync over the BNC input, I would disagree. I would instead recommend one of Ultimarc's PS2/PS3 cables (the cheaper one, without the video amp module), which includes a sync stripper, and a DE-15 to BNC adapter. It'll be overall cheaper than a good SCART cable with a sync stripper and a SCART to BNC adapter, and it would achieve the same result.

I would also try playing a 480p-compatible game to test whether that TV can accept RGsB over its BNC input.

Additionally, the official PS2 VGA cable would not work, because it is only wired for RGsB, which means it immediately would not work with any of the system menus or the vast majority of games, which are 15kHz-only (and thus RGBS-only). You would only be able to use it with games that supported 480p or higher video modes, and you'd have to get them into 480p+ mode blindly, and you still may run into instances (like Gran Turismo 4) where the console will switch back to 480i for cutscenes and/or prerendered videos.
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

I have a fat japanese x360 that is starting to show red lights from time to time, so I am planning to get a RGH slim or superslim unit to replace it. I have a pair of questions:

1- it’s possible to pass patches and bought dlc/games from my original
console to the modified? Or it is easier to download the backups from internet?

2-which version is better slim or superslim? I am very picky about noise and I read superslim is far quiet and reliable but lacks av-vga and toslink outputs... anything more to care?
Working in the japanese language achievement
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The built-in updater in Aurora (the dashboard you'll be using on a RGH unit) works like a charm. Transfering DLC and arcade games from you original system is easy as well if you connect your old harddrive to your PC.
strayan

Post by strayan »

nmalinoski wrote:
AndehX wrote:

Unless you can confirm that the TV will take composite video or luma as sync over the BNC input, I would disagree. I would instead recommend one of Ultimarc's PS2/PS3 cables (the cheaper one, without the video amp module), which includes a sync stripper, and a DE-15 to BNC adapter. It'll be overall cheaper than a good SCART cable with a sync stripper and a SCART to BNC adapter, and it would achieve the same result.

I would also try playing a 480p-compatible game to test whether that TV can accept RGsB over its BNC input.

Additionally, the official PS2 VGA cable would not work, because it is only wired for RGsB, which means it immediately would not work with any of the system menus or the vast majority of games, which are 15kHz-only (and thus RGBS-only). You would only be able to use it with games that supported 480p or higher video modes, and you'd have to get them into 480p+ mode blindly, and you still may run into instances (like Gran Turismo 4) where the console will switch back to 480i for cutscenes and/or prerendered videos.
Thanks I wasn’t aware of that cable. Probably safer to assume it doesn’t accept sync on Luma or composite video.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Need help experimenting with a video processor.

Can someone with a 4:4:4 capture card, 2 chip SNES, and video processor (DVDO or Extron DSC 31 HD) please post some linex5 1080p pics of the 2 chip?

I have a Darbee DVP-5000 here and I'd like to post some pictures of the output. The DVP-5000 will not accept the OSSC's odd output timings, so we need a video processor in the chain.

I will use the photos to get my own screen grabs of the DVC-5000 working on a 2 chip.

Thanks.

Edit: Maybe linex3 720p as well. I think the device might be more effective on pixel art if it's lower resolution.
We apologise for the inconvenience
orange808

Post by orange808 »

HiDefNES with interpolation maxxed out. The DVP-5000 is at 120%, so you probably wouldn't be able to go this far. Still, it provides more contrast and perceived sharpness without the ringing you get from the OSSC.

Obviously, it accomplishes most of this by changing the colors. So, there's your trade off.

https://imgur.com/a/VTZPmWV

Not for everybody. Not necessarily a solution.

But, worth looking into all the same. The OSSC reverse LPF ringing is rather nasty.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Darbee's sharpening engine is nice. No wonder both Oppo and Lumagen licensed it for inclusion on their own machines. Not sure though if I see the necessity to use it on pixel graphics, especially when the OSSC allows you to use higher line multiplying modes already.

But I would certainly be interested to see the effect on a 2-chip SNES.
rama

Post by rama »

That's peaking and step response with correct filter configuration.
All the scaler chips have these, but usually they have generic settings that cause the ringing and other issues.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Is it ok to put an Extron matrix directly under a PVM? can this harm the PVM? (I know speakers should be avoided because of magnets. but does a switcher/matrix carry a magnetic charge of some sort?)

Ventilation-wise, it appears to be ok since the matrix has no vents on top, and the PVM has none on the bottom...
EDIT : oups, some MVX matrixes have vents on top actually. might have to go with a Crosspoint, or the switcher I already have here
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

No magnets in the extron
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

maxtherabbit wrote:No magnets in the extron
Thanks
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Uzumaki

Post by Uzumaki »

Are there any adapters available in the US to pass component through SCART that work with the gscartsw?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Uzumaki wrote:Are there any adapters available in the US to pass component through SCART that work with the gscartsw?
Which do you want to convert to which? How does your connection ultimately terminate, SCART or component?