Crazy squeaking with LS 56 octo gate

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
TVG

Crazy squeaking with LS 56 octo gate

Post by TVG »

With how much the LS 56 lever is loved here, I figure you're the right guys to ask.
I bought the LS 56 with some accessories because I just always tought the sanwas were kinda shit for tekken. So I installed the LS 56 and an octo gateand short throw mod. I must say, in terms of missed inputs it's pretty ace. Still miss the occasional UF but everything else is cool, and ff motions feel more natural.

However, the squeaking is horrendous and distracting. as you can see in the video it mainly happens on db and d directions, and does not happen when I press down on the stick. It is caused by the acuator movement against the gate.

I am wondering if there's any way to correct this, it also kiiiinda happens with the square gate but less pronounced, so the gate is not the culprit. It's too bad, since I do enjoy the stick a lot but this is just too annoying, I might go back to the sanwa because of that. Any idea?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrxtcMk3uV4

I know, the gold buttons and balltop look absolutely slick on the Pro N.
"In short, it comes down to spirit" - dodonpachi developper Kohyama.
buttersoft

Re: Crazy squeaking with LS 56 octo gate

Post by buttersoft »

I hear only the stick clicking, and then possibly the whole housing rocking on your knees when you push further? I certainly hear nothing i would describe as squealing.
TVG

Post by TVG »

It's not the housing it's the acuator and the gate, I have opened the stick to pinpoint it. I think squeaking is the best word to describe it, but english is not my first language. The sound is immediately obvious in the video. I listened on desktop and mobile.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Have you tried lubricating it? Maybe lithium grease?
TVG

Post by TVG »

Kez wrote:Have you tried lubricating it? Maybe lithium grease?
You think I should lubricate the acuator/gate? That's where the noise comes from. I tought about it but I'm a little scared it will make the thing too slippery, maybe I should try.

As the noise comes only from certain directions I tought that maybe there is a way to "fix" the movement that causes the noise.
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

Yeah I can make out that squeak, really prominent around 0:16-0:18 in my opinion.

Without taking a look at the thing in person to see what is exactly happening, I can't suggest anything other than a little lithium or silicone grease application. It can always be cleaned out if you find the movement undesirable afterwards. I personally prefer Super Lube brand because it doesn't migrate that much.

It does look like you're rocking the entire joystick base unusually hard.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

I think you want to lubricate a little bit between the pivot and the base. I'm only saying this from general joystick experience, because I have never owned an LS-56. However, that aspect of the design is pretty universal, from what I have experienced.
buttersoft

Post by buttersoft »

Hmm, i'm listening on earbuds but they are $80 earbuds. I'll give it another go when I get home.

If it is the actuator on the gate that's making the noise... the actuator should roll around the shaft, shouldn't it? If it's binding, i guess you could try some lube on the inside of that first. Make sure it's plastic-safe like silicone grease or white lithium grease, as others have noted.
TVG

Post by TVG »

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I've recorded a video of the insides that clearly shows what's happening. Basically the acuator is not fully smooth like sanwa parts and it makes a silly noise when it grinds against the gate. The thing is, in some directions, if I hold, there is no extra "up" movement of the shaft. If I hold down left or down, the shaft can continue to move "upwards" and grinds against the gate. I understand that I could like never touch the gate or make strong motions, but with things like dragon punch motions etc, it's kind of impossible. Also, even without the noise it's just a bad feeling when the stick continues to move after hitting the gate. It never happened to that extent on my sanwas and it doesn't really happen on other directions than these two.

Is there a way that I can prevent the shaft from having the leeway to movge upwards after hitting the gate? I disassembled all parts and reassembled them. it's already pretty lubricated everywhere.

Video here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTmEFdNAras
Mad Grab

Post by Mad Grab »

Don’t give up on the ls-56 it’s a great joystick with short throws. The upward movement is normal in down back if you are applying a lot of pressure. Which it looks like you are btw way your joystick is moving around your lap. Try to play with a more light handed Style?

I play super turbo I do hear that sound your describing on one of my joysticks more than another. I kinda thought it was natural or just dry. I guess I’ve tuned it out for the love of the joystick. I’ve tried to go to the ls-32 it just ain’t the same.

*Edited cause I tried a second joystick and it doesn’t squeak as much.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Is the stick new? I sometimes find new sticks tend to squeak in certain areas, but after enough time goes by it seems to stop.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

I have an LS-56 with an MS mounting plate in the exact same stick which I received within the last week, which came pre-modded with a JLF to begin with. I think it's normal?

I honestly didn't notice it until this thread, I just think you're putting too much pressure on it.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.