Satiator - Saturn ODE solution

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Gunstar

Satiator - Saturn ODE solution

Post by Gunstar »

Things seem to be heating up! Not sure how many are going out or how betas are being distributed but hopefully someone on here is getting one and can share some impressions
Pic of the beta units:
From reddit
Professor Abrasive's Patreon
Last edited by Gunstar on Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
ldeveraux

Re: Satiator - Beta units shipping end of Nov

Post by ldeveraux »

What is this? I shouldn't have to pay via Patreon to find out.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

This patreon is private and reddit is only useless comments...

What if you actually wrote single sentence to tell what that device is, so readers are not forced to google it ?

FYI, not everyone follows EVERY project of the internet "DIY-gaming-electronics-actually-commercial-sphere" e-celebrities.

Thanks. :wink:
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Apparently it's a "flash cart" for Saturn. I wish the first post would have said that, so I didn't have to waste time finding out this was completely irrelevant to my interests. :P
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

ldeveraux wrote:What is this? I shouldn't have to pay via Patreon to find out.
The short version is that it lets you load games from an SD card using the VCD port on the back of the Saturn
RetroRGB has you covered for the specifics: https://www.retrorgb.com/satiator-feature-update.html

Genuinely surprised people hadn't heard of it here. It was announced a couple of years ago so I felt it didn't need an introduction
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

It's surprising that this project seems to be obscure to many people even though it's been going on for a long time now.

It's a Saturn ODE solution, plug and play, goes in the video card slot.

This is a 2016 article: https://hackinformer.com/2016/07/11/seg ... ked-20yrs/
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

So much salt and its only first page!

Get with the times fellas this is Prof Abrasives vaporware come to life!
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Gunstar wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:What is this? I shouldn't have to pay via Patreon to find out.
The short version is that it lets you load games from an SD card using the VCD port on the back of the Saturn
RetroRGB has you covered for the specifics: https://www.retrorgb.com/satiator-feature-update.html

Genuinely surprised people hadn't heard of it here. It was announced a couple of years ago so I felt it didn't need an introduction
I only joined in 2018, how oblivious of you not to know that! :wink:
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Let's be honest there are tons of projects and if one doesn't let itself be heard about loudly-enough at least a couple times a year, then it's natural that people either forget it exists or never knew its name.

Also that private Patreon...lol...seriously doesn't help for publicity. :roll:

@fernan1234, I remember that article, still never heard about Satiator. ¯\_(ヅ)_/¯

Very interesting device anyway, some demo links and videos anywhere ? actual word about games compatibility (issues) ?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I recall there was a video demoing it loading games not too long ago, but regardless it sounds like loading should be simple from an SD card with image files not requiring any conversion, etc. It also sounds like compatibility should have no issues as long as original read speed is used.

As soon as I heard about this and the approach it uses since two years ago I knew I'd never bother trying to snipe a rhea/phoebe.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

fernan1234 wrote:I knew I'd never bother trying to snipe a rhea/phoebe.
First thing that comes to mind indeed.

Damn, lets hope it won't be another "Couple of small production runs then EOL forever" case though.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Xyga wrote:Damn, lets hope it won't be another "Couple of small production runs then EOL forever" case though.
Hoping the same. My sense from reading some of his earlier updates is that function-wise the device has been ready for a long time now, but most of the delay has been in order to ensure sustainable production and supply, so I'd be optimistic.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Anyone know what it’s going to cost?

Really like that it plugs into the back, preserving the disc drive for originals. Personally I’m only interested in this product for fan translations, where I hope there is a lot more to come now that Saturn emulation has improved in the recent years. So many amazing games on that system are Japanese only :)
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Since this eats up the rear expansion port, I'm wondering if it would be feasible for a second model of Satiator that integrates the MPEG decoder.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

nmalinoski wrote:Since this eats up the rear expansion port, I'm wondering if it would be feasible for a second model of Satiator that integrates the MPEG decoder.
I wouldn't count on it. I think we are only seeing beta units because of backlash Professor Abrasive has received the last few days.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

nmalinoski wrote:Since this eats up the rear expansion port, I'm wondering if it would be feasible for a second model of Satiator that integrates the MPEG decoder.
He has stated that an integrated MPEG decoder won't be possible with his design.
dave_wellington

Post by dave_wellington »

I was a ($1) patreon pledger from day 1 on this, right up until last weekend when I realised he had over a thousand pledgers and must have raked in around $20k by now without actually producing anything.
I agree this is in reaction to the Fenrir ODE. Hopefully he gets something to market soon, but given his current patreon income I suspect otherwise.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

dave_wellington wrote:I was a ($1) patreon pledger from day 1 on this, right up until last weekend when I realised he had over a thousand pledgers and must have raked in around $20k by now without actually producing anything.
I agree this is in reaction to the Fenrir ODE. Hopefully he gets something to market soon, but given his current patreon income I suspect otherwise.
damn I should go into the vaporware business :lol:
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

It won't. But I say this every time this comes up, there is literally only one game with MPEG enhancement that matters (Lunar), and if you care about the game you'll have the disc already anyway.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

fernan1234 wrote:I recall there was a video demoing it loading games not too long ago
Sega Saturn CD - Cracked after 20 years :?:
Listai

Post by Listai »

I haven't paid much attention the the project for a few years but I'm glad to see it hasn't died.

I don't even have a Saturn yet but once this launches I'll probably grab one along with a Satiator, gotta support those Aussie devs.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

dave_wellington wrote:I was a ($1) patreon pledger from day 1 on this, right up until last weekend when I realised he had over a thousand pledgers and must have raked in around $20k by now without actually producing anything.
It does seem that way, but still, he has released a lot of updates in the last 12 weeks, so maybe it's just timing? Also, they are done and ready to mail out, not something I think you could rush just b/c someone posted a vague tweet about a new Saturn ODE.

Still, I'm sure he's taking in a LOT of money for this, but then again, isn't that what Patreon is designed for?

I support the creators of products by buying them instead of cheaper bootlegs. I don't just pay people to work on things.
PearlJammzz

Post by PearlJammzz »

I just hope it works better than the PS-IO and that the availability is better than that of the Phoebe/Rhea. If so it'll be a win for everyone.
Austin

Post by Austin »

PearlJammzz wrote:I just hope it works better than the PS-IO and that the availability is better than that of the Phoebe/Rhea. If so it'll be a win for everyone.
It should be 100% plug-and-play with no modding required. Compatibility should be extremely high.
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

Excited if availability is good and it is affordable.

There are a lot of games that just flat out outrageously priced for the English versions (Stuff I wish I hadn't sold back when they were still affordable) and it would be nice to be able to play images of them without burning discs and buy the Japanese versions instead on real hardware. And of course fan translations. (Princess Crown is almost done!)
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

BONKERS wrote:Excited if availability is good and it is affordable.

There are a lot of games that just flat out outrageously priced for the English versions (Stuff I wish I hadn't sold back when they were still affordable)
All the saturn games that are worth anything are super duper expensive, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Burning Rangers, Shining Force 3, Albert Odyssey, Magic Knight Rayearth, Dragon Force, Shining the Holy Ark etc.

Not to mention the games that got fan-translated in english such as Policenauts, Dragon Force 2, Shining Force 3 episode 2, 3 and premium etc.
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

Great stuff for the patreons! Been following this since the time it was first announced.
RIP-Felix

Post by RIP-Felix »

XtraSmiley wrote:
It does seem that way, but still, he has released a lot of updates in the last 12 weeks, so maybe it's just timing? Also, they are done and ready to mail out, not something I think you could rush just b/c someone posted a vague tweet about a new Saturn ODE.

Still, I'm sure he's taking in a LOT of money for this, but then again, isn't that what Patreon is designed for?

I support the creators of products by buying them instead of cheaper bootlegs. I don't just pay people to work on things.
He never even set out to make an ODE for the Saturn, his original plan was to make a mod chip to disable the copy protection. He couldn't find a mod chip at the time, so he had to create a backdoor. Reverse engineering was his hobby and this product came out of that effort. He only decided to make it an ODE once it was obvious that it could be done and make his device more useful. He likes the constraints of 90's technology and originally wanted to poke around under the hood, make the Saturn run code it wasn't designed to. Basically He's a nerd. He's not really a gamer either, he's into the chip music scene. Apparently, the Saturn has a crazy 32 channel FM sound chip and a friend wanted a tool to allow the chip music crowd to use the Saturn to create music. This wasn't a cash grab or reactionary product in response to anyone else's project. It happened organically from something totally different. The guy has given up alot to make this a product, for the hoards of gamers that would like an ODE that doesn't require modification to the hardware. Patreon helped keep him motivated, otherwise he might have abandoned the project! That's the reason I've not already put a Phoebe in my Saturn (if I could get my hands on one anyway).

The Beta has a very basic interface, and only available to Patreons. The production units will have a nice GUI and be available to anyone.

If you're really interested in his motivation and what led to it's creation, you can watch Bob's interview with him:
RetroRGB Weekly Roundup #45 - Feat Professor Abrasive - March 15th 2017
Last edited by RIP-Felix on Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
RIP-Felix

Post by RIP-Felix »

citrus3000psi wrote:
I wouldn't count on it. I think we are only seeing beta units because of backlash Professor Abrasive has received the last few days.
Coming from you, people might think you have some kind of inside knowledge. You might want to clarify. I mean, he will probably lose most of his patrons once he releases, but has to release it eventually or He'll loose them once they get tired of waiting and call it a scam. I agree progress has been slow, but I wouldn't yet suspect nefarious intent. Are you insinuating he's had the beta's on hand waiting for backlash before releasing? Do you have any reason to believe he wasn't just busy with life? Or perhaps I'm twisting your words and you didn't mean it like that.

In any case, that's a hot take! Do you want to cool it or douse it with gasoline? What say you Dan?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

RIP-Felix wrote:Coming from you, people might think you have some kind of inside knowledge.

why? are they real life bros or something?