Nine new 3DO M2 demos - will update weekly - 11/17

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
awbacon

Nine new 3DO M2 demos - will update weekly - 11/17

Post by awbacon »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YLF8M7MiuUU

In the last three months I’ve been able to, with help, resurrect nine demos from the development and public exhibition of the 3DO M2. Stuff like trade show demos and in-house proof of concepts that were shown to Sega and Nintendo when they both almost bought M2 from 3DO.

It’s been fun, and I figure there must be at least one other 3DO fan on here.

The first one is “donuts”, a name I made up. It was a publicaly shown test of the power of the Bulldog GPU, and the amount of polygons with effects (fog, lighting) it could push around at near 60 frames per second. It’s also fully controllable so as a demo it’s better than just watching it execute.

I’ll add new videos to the thread as they release as to not be annoying and make threads for each!
spmbx

Re: Nine new 3DO M2 demos - will update weekly - 11/17

Post by spmbx »

I'm far from a 3DO fan and 99% of the library is absolutely horrible (even back in the day). But the M2 is a bit of a mythical beast in gaming terms, so i'm actually really glad and very interested in the stuff you're putting on youtube about it, even if i don't see myself actually playing any of it even if it was free.
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

spmbx wrote:I'm far from a 3DO fan and 99% of the library is absolutely horrible (even back in the day). But the M2 is a bit of a mythical beast in gaming terms, so i'm actually really glad and very interested in the stuff you're putting on youtube about it, even if i don't see myself actually playing any of it even if it was free.
Lol and "play" is a strong term for these demos. Nothing really play wise involved.
BIL

Post by BIL »

One of the demos was
Spoiler
Bessie the cow (or a cow of some name), IIRC? Anti-aliasing demo showing the poor kept thing through a chain-link fence. At the time I was "ok" but now I suspect I'd be "GET THAT N64 REAL MAYO FILTER OUTTA MY FACE" Image :wink:
This is cool stuff! I do like retrospectives on that uncertain little epoch before the PS1 set the agenda for the remainder of the decade.
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

BIL wrote:One of the demos was
Spoiler
Bessie the cow (or a cow of some name), IIRC? Anti-aliasing demo showing the poor kept thing through a chain-link fence. At the time I was "ok" but now I suspect I'd be "GET THAT N64 REAL MAYO FILTER OUTTA MY FACE" Image :wink:
This is cool stuff! I do like retrospectives on that uncertain little epoch before the PS1 set the agenda for the remainder of the decade.
Glad you are enjoying them. Another will be out Sunday
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Offtopic, but if you ever stumble upon that 32x techdemo.... :) highly unlikely since even some guy that worked on it said it was lost

https://youtu.be/pOWZbydnlZE