OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Konsolkongen

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by Konsolkongen »

Oh right. Stupid mistake :D
zarkFR

Post by zarkFR »

marqs wrote:Firmware v0.85 is now publicly available:

* Simple OSD implementation
* Mask color setting added
Thank you marqs !
awe444

Post by awe444 »

Konsolkongen wrote: And additionally since up/down isn't used for anything, couldn't' these be used to switch between advanced sampling modes?
+1 for this request. Thanks marqs for your dedication to this project!
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Huh, neat! Maybe I'll finally update my firmware then... Do profiles get erased on firmware update, or will they stay put?

Also I'm trying to optimize my OSSC for Genesis output, but following firebrandx's documentation I get a shimmering effect on varying parts of the screen regardless of what I set sampling phase to. Any ideas?
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

awe444 wrote:
Konsolkongen wrote: And additionally since up/down isn't used for anything, couldn't' these be used to switch between advanced sampling modes?
Would something like this work to switch between 256x240p, 320x240p and 384x240p optimized modes as well??? Now that would be awesome for something like the PC Engine, Mega Drive/Genesis, X68000, Saturn and PS1.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

cave hermit wrote:Huh, neat! Maybe I'll finally update my firmware then... Do profiles get erased on firmware update, or will they stay put?

Also I'm trying to optimize my OSSC for Genesis output, but following firebrandx's documentation I get a shimmering effect on varying parts of the screen regardless of what I set sampling phase to. Any ideas?
If you have 0.84, your system-wide settings will likely stay put, but I think the profiles will get wiped, because of the addition of the color mask setting, which looks to be per-profile. If you have anything older than 0.84, everything will get reset back to defaults.

If you don't want to worry about having to reset your settings every time moving forward, use this web app to configure your profiles, then export both profiles.json and profiles.bin.

You'll use the JSON file for importing back into the web app and updating your settings when a new firmware is released; and, once you've updated the firmware on your OSSC, you'll write the bin file to the SD card (just like you would a firmware update), pop the SD card into your OSSC, then go to Settings Opt > Import Settings to import the settings you created. Unfortunately, this is a one-way operation--there's currently no way to export to the SD card.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

H6rdc0re wrote:
awe444 wrote:
Would something like this work to switch between 256x240p, 320x240p and 384x240p optimized modes as well??? Now that would be awesome for something like the PC Engine, Mega Drive/Genesis, X68000, Saturn and PS1.
That's what I was thinking :)
RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

OSD works really well, nice feature, thanks.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

What is the mask color setting used for?
The Inventor of sinden light gun actually asked for this, so I guess it's for compatibility with that :)
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

shmupsrocks wrote:What is the mask color setting used for?
The OSSC lets you black-out a specific number of pixels from the top/bottom/left/right edges of the image, so you can get a kind of overscan that hides the kind of processing artifacting that you'd find on the NES and Genesis/MD. Up until now, the mask was black only, but this new setting lets you change the color of that masking, which, when set to white, as BuckoA51 mentioned, would provide compatibility with the Sinden light gun (not perfectly, but effectively).
nullifer

Post by nullifer »

Hey guys, I need to use my PS3 with component cable because of the whole HDCP thing for capture.
So I'm using the OSSC to pass the component off to HDMI.
The problem is that the ossc is read the ps3 as 750p in 720p and 11xx in 1080. it's causing some crazy doubling/haloing of the image off to the right of text and stuff.
Also the image is slightly of to the left by about 20-30 pixels.

Are the any specific timings I should setup to fix this issue? I'm not trying to line double the ps3, i just want a clean image.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

nullifer wrote:The problem is that the ossc is read the ps3 as 750p in 720p and 11xx in 1080.
no that's not the problem, that's normal

720p has a total of 750 lines and 1080p has a total of 1125 lines, which is what the OSSC reports on the display

as far as your haloing problem: either your cables are garbage or you need to adjust your sampling phase
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

nullifer wrote:Hey guys, I need to use my PS3 with component cable because of the whole HDCP thing for capture.
So I'm using the OSSC to pass the component off to HDMI.
The problem is that the ossc is read the ps3 as 750p in 720p and 11xx in 1080. it's causing some crazy doubling/haloing of the image off to the right of text and stuff.
Also the image is slightly of to the left by about 20-30 pixels.

Are the any specific timings I should setup to fix this issue? I'm not trying to line double the ps3, i just want a clean image.
The way I understand it, the OSSC reading as 750p and 11xxp in 1080p is normal, because the OSSC displays total line counts, not just visible line counts.

I'm not sure about the image being off-center; that's not something that usually happens with the OSSC, so I'm inclined to blame it on your YPbPr-to-HDMI converter.

Have you considered getting one of those HDMI splitters that strips HDCP?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

nmalinoski wrote:your YPbPr-to-HDMI converter
you mean his OSSC? :mrgreen:

to center the image adjust h backporch
nullifer

Post by nullifer »

well the cables are good for sure.
and yes i'm just going straight into the OSSC. I'll try adjusting backporch and phase
nullifer

Post by nullifer »

Backporch fixed the off center issue.
Phase did nothing for the haloing.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

nullifer wrote:well the cables are good for sure.
who made them?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

maxtherabbit wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:your YPbPr-to-HDMI converter
you mean his OSSC? :mrgreen:

to center the image adjust h backporch
Oh, whoops; I confused myself. OSSC probably isn't at fault if it was bought from VGP. I would also look into the cables as was suggested.
nullifer

Post by nullifer »

Eh screw it, I just ended up buying an HDMI splitter. Hopefully it removes HDCP like everyone who bought it says it does.

Thanks for helping me get the image centered
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I have asked this before, but I think my question got buried between other posts so I never got an answer :)

Why is it that the top part of the screen is brighter?

Here is an image of a full white screen from 240p test suite on the Mega Drive.

As you can see the scanline settings I use are just barely noticeably in white, but at the very top they disappear completely.

This is not my TV as I have tried zooming and panning. And it's not my Extron switch either as a direct connection between OSSC and console does this too. And it isn't limited to just RGB because GameCube in 480p component shows this too.

The Framemeister does this too, so what's causing it, and could it possibly be fixed?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Have you tried another TV? Because if you're seeing the same visual artifact from three different input devices, it's probably the common element, the TV.
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

Konsolkongen wrote:I have asked this before, but I think my question got buried between other posts so I never got an answer :)

The Framemeister does this too, so what's causing it, and could it possibly be fixed?
I think this is caused by the Automatic Level Control. It averages a certain amount of lines to set the level so it takes a short time when there is a full white signal suddenly after Vblank.

It is possible to disable this feature.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Guspaz wrote:Have you tried another TV? Because if you're seeing the same visual artifact from three different input devices, it's probably the common element, the TV.
No it's not the TV. Because I can zoom the image so much that the overly bright portion disappears.
paulb_nl wrote:
Konsolkongen wrote:I have asked this before, but I think my question got buried between other posts so I never got an answer :)

I think this is caused by the Automatic Level Control. It averages a certain amount of lines to set the level so it takes a short time when there is a full white signal suddenly after Vblank.

It is possible to disable this feature.
Possible in the current firmware, and will it have any downsides? :)
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

Welp never mind. I found an old capture of a white screen with ALC off and it does the same thing. :)
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Thanks for checking though :)
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

cave hermit wrote:Also I'm trying to optimize my OSSC for Genesis output, but following firebrandx's documentation I get a shimmering effect on varying parts of the screen regardless of what I set sampling phase to. Any ideas?
I'm here as well but for my SNES (original launch unit).

What's the easiest way to set phase? Or is phase not the culprit here? I've been using the 240p test suite checkerboard pattern as it is immediately apparent if anything is out of sorts as it shows up as wavy distortions. There isn't a single phase setting that eliminates them on my setup--what else can I try?

Also, through trial and error I discovered that my Sony 930E actually accepts 5x, including 1600x1200. In this mode I measure the lag as being less than 2 frames, which puts it faster than rtings measured for 1080p game mode. Yay!

It seems my redmere cables simply don't play nice with the OSSC beyond 2X scale. When I swapped them out suddenly the clouds parted and the holy light of 5x shone down upon me. It is truly magnificent. I have the pre-audio OSSC and can't believe how it keeps getting better and better--thanks Marqs!

Final question:

Anything full white from my SNES drops the picture out. 240 test suite--Konami logo--white flashes (lightning FX). Is this a cable issue? I'm using retroaccess SNES SCART cables from a decade ago--are they throwing too much voltage? Any way to mitigate that within the OSSC?

Thanks!
sebnec

Post by sebnec »

Hi, everyone !

I updated my OSSC (non audio model) to 0.85, now I get sound but no image.

Must be my profiles, but I'm really lame when it comes to create one. Is there any chance someone owns a Viewsonic VX3211-mh monitor and created some adjusted profiles ?

Thanks in advance for your answer. :wink:
Last edited by sebnec on Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

I do have the same issue with the current firmware. In addition the LCD flickers a bit. I get a picture as soon as I open the profile load hotkey. Is that the same with you?

Edit: for me the problem disappears once I revert the following commit: https://github.com/marqs85/ossc/commit/ ... 756b07ecdf
I tested on two OSSCs, btw.
marqs

Post by marqs »

borti4938 wrote:I do have the same issue with the current firmware. In addition the LCD flickers a bit. I get a picture as soon as I open the profile load hotkey. Is that the same with you?

Edit: for me the problem disappears once I revert the following commit: https://github.com/marqs85/ossc/commit/ ... 756b07ecdf
I tested on two OSSCs, btw.
That sounds like the cpu gets stuck in mode change loop as pressing profile hotkey halts the processing until profile is selected. Does it help if you just change back the order of program_mode() and tvp_enable_output()? Any details on the source / configuration which is needed to reproduce the issue?
sebnec

Post by sebnec »

Thanks a lot for your answer, borti !

So it seems to be an issue firmware related ? That somehow reassures me.

If I understood well, you modified some precise lines of code and it solved the problem ? Sorry, I'm a noob when it comes to coding, so if I'm not exactly told where to go and what to do, I simply can't ! :oops:

Anyway, is there's any chance you could share a modified version of the firmware I'd have to flash my OSSC with, I'd be more than happy to get it.

Thanks again for all of you trying to solve this issue.

EDIT : thanks to your messages, borti and marqs, I noticed I can press the left red button to manually select the correct profile. That's better than nothing, at least I can use my OSSC before a fix is available. That answers to your question, borti. ;)