... and it made me smile.

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BIL

Re: ... and it made me smile.

Post by BIL »

Also, perhaps it's a little bold of me - but for homegrown farm crazy, I would put The Sky Boy Affair *almost* on par with the unparalleled dimension-reaving saurian madness of 4D LIZARDMEN FROM GLASGOW.

Obviously it can't equal that one, though, because unlike Edmans' feverishly imagined pony courtroom drama... that stuff actually happened. Image
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

BIL wrote:Also, perhaps it's a little bold of me - but for homegrown farm crazy, I would put The Sky Boy Affair *almost* on par with the unparalleled dimension-reaving saurian madness of 4D LIZARDMEN FROM GLASGOW.

Obviously it can't equal that one, though, because unlike Edmans' feverishly imagined pony courtroom drama... that stuff actually happened. Image
OP posts in what appears to be English but it isn't really English. Truly remarkable.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

BIL wrote:Obviously nothing can actually surpass that one, though, because unlike Edmans' feverishly imagined pony courtroom drama... that stuff actually happened. Image
That was way out there. The NG stuff was mild -- hell, downright cold -- compared to that. I'm all for discussing whatever interests you, even getting in the occasional heated debate, but to get so caught up on an internet discussion with some dude across the Atlantic that you end up writing a fanfic about him is something else. I previously said he must have a lot of time on his hands, but even that doesn't explain the "essay".
Steamflogger Boss wrote:OP posts in what appears to be English but it isn't really English. Truly remarkable.
I don't know, man. It's Scotland, so he probably had a few too many drinks; trying to buy games while inebriated can lead to some surprising results. :)

Also,
ckm wrote:i don't find it funny that some occult-abusing scumbags stole £20.00 or a game off of me,
You'd think that occultists with teleportation abilities would steal something worth a little more than £20. Maybe they really wanted Shiki II. :)

EDIT: Oh damn, he actually used the term "4D lizard scum". :shock:
I have to admit: I'm here for the games, but this forum occasionally gives birth to absolute gold.
Steamflogger Boss

Tbf Castle Shikigami 2 is a great game.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

But worth exposing your 4D occultist lizardman identity to the world?
BIL

Post by BIL »

__SKYe wrote:EDIT: Oh damn, he actually used the term "4D lizard scum". :shock:
I have to admit: I'm here for the games, but this forum occasionally gives birth to absolute gold
I'm shortlisting THE DOMINATOR CULTURE for the title of R2RKMF Part VI :mrgreen:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Stevens wrote: The same happened to Movies and Photos and my Docs and other files… And it’s great! Games are no different. Eventually all of our games will be safely in the cloud too and we’ll feel great about it.
I stopped buying movies on DVDs and Bluray for a while after we got Netflix.
Then after realizing that 90% of the movies I randomly feel like watching aren't there, and 70-80% of the movies I've already spotted on Netflix are also gone from the service once I feel like putting them on, it was quickly made clear that relying on services like that is a terrible disservice to the movie artform.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Oh sorry, I missed the hole edmond dantes thing... Damn, what a farce. Always be wary of anyone who uses the term "SJW" unironically.

EDIT: If someone wants to give the guy money, he has a PayPal donation thing set up for some reason:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
drauch

Post by drauch »

It's probably funding for... REVENGE!
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Footage from the 80s of Bernie Sanders chatting up some goths at the mall... and one of said goths as a present-day grownup reacting to the old footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXirP-QwNrY
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

As for cameos of shmups or developers, I'm sure e.g. the appearance of Pipiru (Toaplan's mascot) at the end of the Donpachi 2-ALL, or the Tatsujin ship in Out Zone/Tatsujin Oh, are well-known.

Today I've learned of another Toaplan-related cameo, being the game Dogyuun!, appearing in Batsugun with its name on the rockets the GROUND OF THE GARAXY dumps on you (that boss always reminds me of an organ).

Which made me smile, as its onomatopoeic nature is sort of fittingly applied here :P

BIL

Post by BIL »

Ground of the Gal/raxy (either works!) is such a badass name for an endboss. Image Also st3's MAD STEEL DARKNESS and his BGM PSYCHO PARANOIA

On the subject of cameos/self-references by esteemed STG devs, I was going to post this in an ancient main forum thread, but all its image links are long dead. :sad: So this is as good a place as any! Newschool IREM paying tribute to the M72 classics:

YUSHI COPS
Spoiler

These fine young hoodlums were just trying to enjoy a bootleg R-Type superplay on their post-apocalyptic monitor when the cops ruined their shit. :evil:
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Damn, I had never noticed that R-Type reference. :o
It actually got me thinking about other games that cheekily tout their own companies's games. One that comes to mind is Bare Knuckle 2, on the first stage, where one of the punks is 'playing' an arcade version of BK.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I'm semi-seriously convinced that Metal Storm is a stealth R-Type Gaiden. :mrgreen: There's the armada of Huge Battleships in the planet-killer's shipyard, and the whole "berserk AI" plot is rather Bydo.

EDITL: Or maybe the AI knew what humanity was getting up to, and wanted to snuff 'em out before the "man-made nightmare" could be unleashed upon the galaxy. :shock:

Also, the fifth boss's three ray weapons are conspicuously R-Typey. Granted, lots of IREM STG weapons are, but I can't help noticing the blue one is a direct lift of the Surface-to-Air/Blue type! Dig the "R-75" decal, too. :cool:

OFC most of the IREM science-fiction themed STGs seem to enjoy a lot of crossover, just like Konami and Tecno Soft's (to name a couple more iconic STG houses). Gallop is in Final's official timeline, IIRC, and Delta has prominent references to Image Fight and X-Multiply. Gradius Gaiden is chock full of references to wider Konami STG canon, too. This is something I enjoy about minimalist arcade-influenced storytelling, you can infer a nice little mythos with the smallest of nods between works.

I still harbor similar headcanon about Blast Wind being the secret Thunder Force Zero, with a vanquished GORN dropping the "G" and becoming the genocidal AI of the TF series. Image
Last edited by BIL on Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

BIL wrote:Image

These fine young hoodlums were just trying to enjoy a bootleg R-Type superplay on their post-apocalyptic monitor when the cops ruined their shit. :evil:
That is so funny! :D Likewise this cute animation in Undercover/Yushi Cops escaped me until now.

Apparently it's worth $80k if picked up. :shock: Just had a quick look; they sure took care of it in the porting process to the SFC as well! By the time the port was done, they had produced more of the previously ostensibly quite rare recording, only worth $1000 in that version :)

BIL

Post by BIL »

Image sprite-rip ver :mrgreen: (thanks to Spriter's Resource for the frames)

I could swear the Metal Slug grunts bust out NGPCs when you Game Over in MS4, but that's the only similar self-reference I can recall from Nazca's Neo years. (assuming the MS4 animations were unused stuff from prior to SNK's bankruptcy)
Marc

Post by Marc »

New relationship has me smiling like a clown lately.
Quite a nice story actually, first hooked up some 21 years ago, but fizzled out when I found out she'd exaggerated her age somewhat (5 1/2 years younger at 21 was a no-go) and I did the gentlemanly thing. Bumped into each other for the first time in 20 years last year, kept in touch, and both ended horrible long-term relationships (like, 15 years long-term) around the same time over summer. Would be fair to say I'm feeling the best I have in many, many a year at the moment. :D
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Good for you, there was that girl I was into in high shool and not seen in 20yrs, well I met her earlier this year and turns out she became a lesbo in relationship with the female version of The Rock. :shock:
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Friend comes over to game meet, asks to bring someone he knows. This person he brought turns out to be super passive-aggressive racist, and the kind that shamelessly blurts out how much he hates foreign food, how much Indian and Asian supermarkets smell bad, can't stand Korean people, etc. Like just racist enough to be super awkward and irritating but not openly enough of a pure asshole to be worth the potential drama of actually kicking out. Couldn't be more glad when he was gone, no more invites, etc.

His presence wasn't a complete waste though. There was a bit of pure, wondrous joy to be had that evening when we were playing SFII and racist dude told us all how good he was at SFII, and how much he loved it in arcades. He got super salty playing against a tourney-level player there who utterly schooled him repeatedly, denying him from even winning a single round over the course of half a dozen fights or so. This guy was visibly pissed, with his ego shrivelled up like a dried prune.

SCHADENFREUDE.

also thanks to a certain special someone from the forums for giving him a well-deserved Chun-Li flavoured thrashing
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Ahhhhhh yes, the classic fighting game boast from someone who hadn't played the game since they were a chillun. Always love seeing those turkeys get squashed. 8)
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Marc wrote:New relationship has me smiling like a clown lately.
Quite a nice story actually, first hooked up some 21 years ago, but fizzled out when I found out she'd exaggerated her age somewhat (5 1/2 years younger at 21 was a no-go) and I did the gentlemanly thing. Bumped into each other for the first time in 20 years last year, kept in touch, and both ended horrible long-term relationships (like, 15 years long-term) around the same time over summer. Would be fair to say I'm feeling the best I have in many, many a year at the moment. :D
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Friend comes over to game meet, asks to bring someone he knows. This person he brought turns out to be super passive-aggressive racist, and the kind that shamelessly blurts out how much he hates foreign food, how much Indian and Asian supermarkets smell bad, can't stand Korean people, etc. Like just racist enough to be super awkward and irritating but not openly enough of a pure asshole to be worth the potential drama of actually kicking out. Couldn't be more glad when he was gone, no more invites, etc.

His presence wasn't a complete waste though. There was a bit of pure, wondrous joy to be had that evening when we were playing SFII and racist dude told us all how good he was at SFII, and how much he loved it in arcades. He got super salty playing against a tourney-level player there who utterly schooled him repeatedly, denying him from even winning a single round over the course of half a dozen fights or so. This guy was visibly pissed, with his ego shrivelled up like a dried prune.

SCHADENFREUDE.
These two are awesome stories :D
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
BIL

Post by BIL »

Upcoming Sonic movie horrified everyone with its nightmare visions. Apparently the producers fixed it and the furries are happy. IDGAF about Sonic, unless he is earning cash that will fund SEGA's better games, but that is cool to me - good on everyone involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8Mchnr4QEc

I do GAF about internet schadenfreude, and all the hand-wringing over TOXIC FANS WAAAA from the usual quarters is entertaining too. Apparently they harassed the producer to death then brought him back to life with Satanic rites, but they had rubbed jalapeno-soaked steel wool all over his balls, making his week a living hell on earth - and then they made him type a happy tweet at gunpoint. I can't believe it, ban gamers.

Steamflogger Boss

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Friend comes over to game meet, asks to bring someone he knows. This person he brought turns out to be super passive-aggressive racist, and the kind that shamelessly blurts out how much he hates foreign food, how much Indian and Asian supermarkets smell bad, can't stand Korean people, etc. Like just racist enough to be super awkward and irritating but not openly enough of a pure asshole to be worth the potential drama of actually kicking out. Couldn't be more glad when he was gone, no more invites, etc.

SCHADENFREUDE.

also thanks to a certain special someone from the forums for giving him a well-deserved Chun-Li flavoured thrashing
At least this story has a happy ending. Really can't stand people like that.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

"But when the bad terminator died, why did the good terminator have to die?" - my four year old.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
BIL

Post by BIL »

edit: haha, well this was a neat coinkydink.
Google Translate re: Thunder Cross wrote:Even if the aircraft is killed, it will be revived on the spot in the same way as Sarah, but at that time the rank will be reset. In addition, the Gradius series has a bounce bullet after the second lap, but the Thunder Cross does not.
With this week's release of Arcade Archives: Katie Daisensou, my hopes are high for an eventual ACA Sarahmander II! :cool:
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BIL

Post by BIL »

Nazca attract demos. Going back to at least Kaitei Daisensou, seems they always made an effort to show their games being played with a degree of competence and, just as importantly, verve. Reflective of the sweat they must've put into that pixel art, I'm sure!

^ a cracking downshot aside, that's some good knife data for prospective players! you'll actually miss and die VS machetes, if you're not in close.

Also, the worst shit happens!
Spoiler

---

Was reading Terminator 2's original script, saw it specifically called for Missile Command and Afterburner (II, but AFAIK the original never made it to wide release) in the arcade scene.
T2 script wrote:IN A CROWDED VIDEO ARCADE JOHN is lost in an intense battle, going
for a new high score at "Missile Command". He parries deftly
as the enemy ICBMs deploy their MIRVs... the warheads stream down...
it's more than he can deal with. The world gets nuked. Game over.
He slouches away from the game, looking for another. Bored.

RACK FOCUS to Officer X passing the entrance of the store behind
him. The cop moves on, down the concourse, out of sight. John gets
into an "Afterburner" simulator game.

ON TERMINATOR, walking through the crowd in slow motion. Scanning.
It moves with methodical purpose, knowing the target is close.
We see that it is, incredibly, carrying a box of LONG STEM ROSES.
Like some hopeful guy with a hot date.

THE COP is pointed toward the arcade by some kids hanging out at the
multi-cinema. He walks into the maze of kids engaged in
synthesized conflict. Cheap electronic sound effects blare above
the crowd noise.

JOHN is shooting down MiGs at Mach 2. His friend Tim slides up next
to him. Taps him on the shoulder, trying to play it cool.
Not sure how into gaming Cameron/Wisher were, but I like that the obviously relevant Missile Command was selected from the start. I never made much of Afterburner II, other than its enclosed cab conveniently shielding John from the T-1000's view, but I see they were going for another bit of Cold War imagery. Watch out, sonny! The real enemy isn't the Commies, but another piece of NATO-allied technology, and this one's more interested in your blood than your credits! Image

---

Shmuplations: The Illustrators of SNK.
—…wow. That schedule sounds punishing, illustrating after a day of full-body exercise. Did you even have time to sleep?

Hiroaki: I would spend the night at the office, then the next morning I’d go home for a quick shower, grab a few extra Zs, then it was back to the office for another day of (literal) pummeling.

Overall, SNK had a lot of “jock” types. They kept 5kg barbells beside their desk, and every now and then they’d get up, stretch their arms, and in a semi-threatening voice say “Man, I’m getting stiff here. I need to pump!” Then they’d start lifting right there in the middle of the office. I’m sitting here thinking, “how the hell did these guys get into game development?”
drauch

Post by drauch »

“Man, I’m getting stiff here. I need to pump!”

FUCK YEAH! Getting hard just thinking about it!
BIL

Post by BIL »

drauch wrote:“Man, I’m getting stiff here. I need to pump!”

FUCK YEAH! Getting hard just thinking about it!
Practicing my semi-threatening voice every night before bed starting today :cool:

Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

5kg barbells! SNK staffers were RIPPED.
BIL wrote:Not sure how into gaming Cameron/Wisher were, but I like that the obviously relevant Missile Command was selected from the start. I never made much of Afterburner II, other than its enclosed cab conveniently shielding John from the T-1000's view, but I see they were going for another bit of Cold War imagery.
To be even more on the nose, they should have borrowed the Midnight Resistance cab from RoboCop 2.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore