Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
vol.2

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by vol.2 »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:I googled that and the discussions seem to be more centered around rendering instead of output/display, but seems that 480i is indeed odd with this system beyond title/menu screens, unless the expansion memory cart is involved. So my next question would be if the purely 2D games (meaning 'no apparent polygons' by that) use antialias or any kind of filter which is present no matter what (thinking of RGB-modded systems, but disregarding that). Given they are so few, I guess it's a widely known matter by now?

Thanks again.
There are discussions here centered around mods to remove or process the 240p blur and antialiasing on the N64. This thread is probably the most informative: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56988

It's been a little while since I got into it, but I think they are separate issues. I know that you can figure it out from reading the thread I referenced and/or some others on this forum.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Yep. Fortunately, in the thread's second page, thanks:
every other pixel, which was a blurred version of the previous and next pixels
so there's no actual 320x240 display mode, but 640x240, for an unavoidable filtered effect, since it's 320x240 rendered (unless you mod it). All I needed to know. Nintendo at its best, it seems.
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

has anyone ever had their gameshark n64 cartridge just fuck up in such an odd way?
i think mine is done... all i did was i saved a new code and the thing froze. now anytime i power on the n64, the gameshark splash screen comes up then immediately boots into the game. cant find anything online about this issue so i think ill have to buy a new one
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

MidOrFeed2015 wrote:has anyone ever had their gameshark n64 cartridge just fuck up in such an odd way?
i think mine is done... all i did was i saved a new code and the thing froze. now anytime i power on the n64, the gameshark splash screen comes up then immediately boots into the game. cant find anything online about this issue so i think ill have to buy a new one
anyone know if the Xplorer 64 works with ntsc carts and an ntsc console??
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

pedroTFP wrote:I got just got a DC 576i/480p RGB cable (retrogamingcablesUK), works great with 15khz Monitor/FrameMeister.
Now I got a PVM that is 480p cable (PVM 20m7mde), on the monitor back panel I have RGB/Component BNC connectors.
A simple scart to BNC adapter would do the work in order to get 480p working with games that support VGA?
Do I need ext sync/sync stripper/whatever?
Nope, just the bnc adapter.

There's very little documentation on the 20M7MDE on the internet, but it looks like it performs frame doubling on 15kHz sources (480i/576i). It'd be better to stick to 31kHz with it
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

MidOrFeed2015 wrote: anyone know if the Xplorer 64 works with ntsc carts and an ntsc console??
Yes I have used it on a Japanese console until I bricked it with a firmware update. Never update the firmware on the Xplorers.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

I have a KVM switch for a bunch of desktops that outputs VGA to a really old Samsung TV (that has a VGA input). I also have a bluray and other HDMI devices plugged in which are capable of 1080p. So my TV has both VGA and HDMI inputs, but is 720p. I want to upgrade the TV, but mainly use it for the VGA inputs, and I don't really see many with both. I'm looking for at least 1080p, >=32", at least 3 HDMI, and COAX cable input would be a nice addition. I actually have a 40" that matches this, but instead of VGA, it has component. Is there an elegant way to transcode VGA to component and keep it 1080p viable?
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

paulb_nl wrote:
MidOrFeed2015 wrote: anyone know if the Xplorer 64 works with ntsc carts and an ntsc console??
Yes I have used it on a Japanese console until I bricked it with a firmware update. Never update the firmware on the Xplorers.
so you used it on a japanese console with japanese games? basically my gameshark broke and your word about it working would be appreciated (because it seems like a better device than GS). im ready to import one from the UK.
pedroTFP

Post by pedroTFP »

Xer Xian wrote:
pedroTFP wrote:I got just got a DC 576i/480p RGB cable (retrogamingcablesUK), works great with 15khz Monitor/FrameMeister.
Now I got a PVM that is 480p cable (PVM 20m7mde), on the monitor back panel I have RGB/Component BNC connectors.
A simple scart to BNC adapter would do the work in order to get 480p working with games that support VGA?
Do I need ext sync/sync stripper/whatever?
Nope, just the bnc adapter.

There's very little documentation on the 20M7MDE on the internet, but it looks like it performs frame doubling on 15kHz sources (480i/576i). It'd be better to stick to 31kHz with it
Thanks.
Yes, I got it for 31khz only, I have a couple of 20L2s for 15khz.
I was considering a BVM D20 to have an all-in-one solution but the best I found was 900€... too much for my pocket. ^^’
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

ldeveraux wrote:I have a KVM switch for a bunch of desktops that outputs VGA to a really old Samsung TV (that has a VGA input). I also have a bluray and other HDMI devices plugged in which are capable of 1080p. So my TV has both VGA and HDMI inputs, but is 720p. I want to upgrade the TV, but mainly use it for the VGA inputs, and I don't really see many with both. I'm looking for at least 1080p, >=32", at least 3 HDMI, and COAX cable input would be a nice addition. I actually have a 40" that matches this, but instead of VGA, it has component. Is there an elegant way to transcode VGA to component and keep it 1080p viable?
Hey all, I could really use some advice on this before I go out and buy a new TV.

TLDR: How to convert 1080p VGA to Component?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:I have a KVM switch for a bunch of desktops that outputs VGA to a really old Samsung TV (that has a VGA input). I also have a bluray and other HDMI devices plugged in which are capable of 1080p. So my TV has both VGA and HDMI inputs, but is 720p. I want to upgrade the TV, but mainly use it for the VGA inputs, and I don't really see many with both. I'm looking for at least 1080p, >=32", at least 3 HDMI, and COAX cable input would be a nice addition. I actually have a 40" that matches this, but instead of VGA, it has component. Is there an elegant way to transcode VGA to component and keep it 1080p viable?
Hey all, I could really use some advice on this before I go out and buy a new TV.

I don't think there's anything readily-available. you'll have an easier time going from VGA to HDMI; you could use an OSSC, if you already have one, or you could pick up a VGA to HDMI converter from the likes of Portta or UGREEN. (I've not tested either of these; I just know that they're from brands that tend to be decent.)

(Also came across this MiniHDMI-to-HDMI/VGA adapter, which might be good for those that want to split the same-resolution output from an UltraHDMI or DCHDMI between a CRT and a flat panel.)
orange808

Post by orange808 »

ldeveraux wrote:How to convert 1080p VGA to Component?
To what end? Most displays will not accept "more" than 720p over component.
We apologise for the inconvenience
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

MidOrFeed2015 wrote: so you used it on a japanese console with japanese games? basically my gameshark broke and your word about it working would be appreciated (because it seems like a better device than GS). im ready to import one from the UK.
I used it with Japanese and US games.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

orange808 wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:How to convert 1080p VGA to Component?
To what end? Most displays will not accept "more" than 720p over component.
It doesn't have to be I suppose. I'd like a TV (instead of a pricey monitor) that will accept my VGA cable. Whether that's directly from VGA or converted to something doesn't matter. I'd also like as many free HDMI as possible to also use it with boxes I already have on the TV. I currently have connected an old Samsung TV that has 3x HDMI and a VGA input, but maxes out at 720p. I was hoping I could get a 1080p, even if it doesn't make the VGA source any better, it will be better for the bluray I have connected. But if htere's a perfect TV that has the combination I'm looking for, I'm open to hearing about it.
nmalinoski wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:Hey all, I could really use some advice on this before I go out and buy a new TV.

I don't think there's anything readily-available. you'll have an easier time going from VGA to HDMI; you could use an OSSC, if you already have one, or you could pick up a VGA to HDMI converter from the likes of Portta or UGREEN. (I've not tested either of these; I just know that they're from brands that tend to be decent.)

(Also came across this MiniHDMI-to-HDMI/VGA adapter, which might be good for those that want to split the same-resolution output from an UltraHDMI or DCHDMI between a CRT and a flat panel.)
I have an OSSC, a RetroTunk, and a Portta converter, but the first two are used in another room, and the Portta is HDMI output. The TV I was going to move into this system only has 2x HDMI and 1x Component, which is why I wanted to try to utilize the component. So even though it's 1080p, I realize my old PCs are not, so would make a perfect fit for the component IN.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:I don't think there's anything readily-available. you'll have an easier time going from VGA to HDMI; you could use an OSSC, if you already have one, or you could pick up a VGA to HDMI converter from the likes of Portta or UGREEN. (I've not tested either of these; I just know that they're from brands that tend to be decent.)

I have an OSSC, a RetroTunk, and a Portta converter, but the first two are used in another room, and the Portta is HDMI output. The TV I was going to move into this system only has 2x HDMI and 1x Component, which is why I wanted to try to utilize the component. So even though it's 1080p, I realize my old PCs are not, so would make a perfect fit for the component IN.
I'm sorry; I completely forgot about the Retrotek VGACTV2; I think that's what you're looking for. You might need a 3.5mm TRS to stereo RCA cable or adapter for audio. Here's the thread for Retrotek products: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65050

Beyond that, there really isn't much for going directly from RGBHV to YPbPr; most converters these days are for converting either to or from HDMI, since that's the de facto standard now.
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

paulb_nl wrote:
MidOrFeed2015 wrote: so you used it on a japanese console with japanese games? basically my gameshark broke and your word about it working would be appreciated (because it seems like a better device than GS). im ready to import one from the UK.
wicked
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

nmalinoski wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:I don't think there's anything readily-available. you'll have an easier time going from VGA to HDMI; you could use an OSSC, if you already have one, or you could pick up a VGA to HDMI converter from the likes of Portta or UGREEN. (I've not tested either of these; I just know that they're from brands that tend to be decent.)

I'm sorry; I completely forgot about the Retrotek VGACTV2; I think that's what you're looking for. You might need a 3.5mm TRS to stereo RCA cable or adapter for audio. Here's the thread for Retrotek products: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65050

Beyond that, there really isn't much for going directly from RGBHV to YPbPr; most converters these days are for converting either to or from HDMI, since that's the de facto standard now.
Well, we'll see if it's any good. Better than waiting for the AA to show up on Ebay for a decent price. I know there were weird color issues discussed in that thread. Hope I don't see it!
strayan

Post by strayan »

I have a weird question:

I’m trying to film the ‘combing effect’ that is visible when weave deinterlacing is in use. What is the easiest way to create this effect? Would a linedoubler like the Extron Andora be an option if I could find one? Are there any other devices that could do it?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Do you actually need to film it ? You can capture interlaced and apply a simple weave filter. Might be easier.

If you want the effect on a TV coming from a real system you need processor that you can set the 2:2 weaving (forced film mode). NTSC film mode won't give you the exact same effect.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Fudoh wrote:Do you actually need to film it ? You can capture interlaced and apply a simple weave filter. Might be easier.

If you want the effect on a TV coming from a real system you need processor that you can set the 2:2 weaving (forced film mode). NTSC film mode won't give you the exact same effect.
Yeah, I wanted to cap it from a real system. Do you know any processors that will do this?
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

MidOrFeed2015 wrote:
paulb_nl wrote:
wicked
On N64, the ntsc regions use the same lockout code. A few more areas like Korea and Brazil are mostly compatible too.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Manual says it takes 1920x1080 over VGA and has 4 HDMI ports:

https://www.samsung.com/au/support/mode ... 650A1FXXY/
St4rwalker

Post by St4rwalker »

Hi your opions on the SIGMA AV-7000 supergun with stick please! I can get one on in new cond. Thanks!

Is the picture quality awesome? Since you cant control RGB levels?
"That’s because any rare Japanese shmup transaction that doesn’t find you waking up short a kidney in a bathtub of ice, is a bargain."
Axelay

Post by Axelay »

Rtypes on the playstation 1

Or Rtype cd on the pc engine which is the best version or the one with the most bells and whistles ?

Cheers
Arms installation complete Good luck
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Axelay wrote:Rtypes on the playstation 1

Or Rtype cd on the pc engine which is the best version or the one with the most bells and whistles ?

Cheers
Here's a relevant thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6996
strayan

Post by strayan »

How much lag does a dvdo VP30 without the ABT102D upgrade add on 480p sources and above? 2 frames?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

strayan wrote:How much lag does a dvdo VP30 without the ABT102D upgrade add on 480p sources and above? 2 frames?
Wow nothing this big, only 6ms when the output is framelocked.

It's only deinterlacing mode 2 that produces about 2 frames (or was it less?) everything else is 6ms (8 for PAL I think)

Tho I'm saying this from memory as mine has temporarily returned to its box and am using the 50pro instead since I have only one well-working PSU for both.

You can check that using the lip-sync slider, decrease it to negative values, the lower it gets is as much lag as the VP30 is currently producing/adding to the chain.
I've verified this with LB tester, it is reliable AFAIK.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
strayan

Post by strayan »

Xyga wrote:
strayan wrote:How much lag does a dvdo VP30 without the ABT102D upgrade add on 480p sources and above? 2 frames?
Wow nothing this big, only 6ms when the output is framelocked.

It's only deinterlacing mode 2 that produces about 2 frames (or was it less?) everything else is 6ms (8 for PAL I think)

Tho I'm saying this from memory as mine has temporarily returned to its box and am using the 50pro instead since I have only one well-working PSU for both.

You can check that using the lip-sync slider, decrease it to negative values, the lower it gets is as much lag as the VP30 is currently producing/adding to the chain.
I've verified this with LB tester, it is reliable AFAIK.
Hmm are you sure? I thought to get the vp30 down to 6ms you needed to enable game mode 1 which requires the upgrade card.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I've used the VP30+ABT102 to upscale 480p and 720p for years, it has nothing to do with the deinterlacing modes and the lag is 6ms, that's how it is, otherwise I would have resold that machine ages ago. ^^
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I thought to get the vp30 down to 6ms you needed to enable game mode 1 which requires the upgrade card.
for 480i signals. For 480p signals you you get the low lag automatically as long as you disable cadence detection and don't enable PREP (which is re-interlacing).