shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:18 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 302, 303, 304, 305, 306  Next
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:47 pm 

Sumez wrote:
I completely agree with the first part, but obviously I'm guilty of the "PCB with no name", which is of course a totally intentionally douchy move.
I try to take pictures that leave in enough details to hint at exactly which the game in question is, and enjoy seeing if people are familiar enough to figure it out. I only do this because I actually enjoy that kind of detective work myself.

Actually weren't thinking of you specifically lol (didn't notice you posted one recently).
It's just something that I've always found extremely stupid and irritating on this forum, probably the shittiest 'farm tradiditon' after the politics threads. :twisted:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:45 pm 

Hell yeah the acronyms, this winds me up on a daily basis because it's a business staple - just assuming everyone is in your little bubble.... or that if they don't know the acronym, their existence is unimportant. Especially when it's in no way unique - hello GOW. My brain gives a default translation of oh fuck off.

Also: random Japanese names for Western localised and popular games. I love you BIL, but my brain struggles with those Shinobi sequels and I have no idea what magic it peforms whenever I see whatever the hell the Japanese title is for Mercs :D But hey, at least it's written using the Latin alphabet....

Pair the two by referring to Streets of Rage as BK. Stop making me hungry.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:13 pm 

If it's any consolation I swear I don't do it to be an Elitist Prick™. Image :lol: It's strictly business! The business of differentiation. :cool: Splatterhouse III? That noob K.LOBB screwed up its BOMBA balance (someone did, at any rate). Splatterhouse Part 3? Now we're talking, time to bust some fuckin heads with precision ultravaiorence. Image Why's this Ghouls n' Ghosts way the hell harder than you remember? Is actually Daimakaimuira. Image

If it's something with no real regional difference like Contra III I'll tend to use that, even if it's not what's on my shelf. I ain't calling it Probotector though. I don't protect robots! I shoot the fuckers! Image :wink:

TBH I was aghast to learn The Revenge of Shinobi was "The Super Shinobi" in Japan, the former being one of the chief ruiners of my preteen boy brain. Makes total sense though. TSS (no not Twinkle Star Sprites!) is clearly its own sub-series, followed up by TSS2. "Revenge" makes it sound like a sequel to the AC game, and "III" cements the impression. I think it's worth distinguishing the stripped-down, deadly-unforgiving AC line from the more showpiece-oriented doublejumps, lifebars & command moves "Super" one.

(Little Annoyed Hell GAIDEN: I wish Shin Shinobi Den had been called The Super Shinobi III - because fugly aesthetic aside, that is sure as shit what it is!)

Last edited by BIL on Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:36 pm 

Got a fun one... People that drive massive vehicles but then...they can't really handle driving/parking them. In a parking lot today there was a large van parked diagonally across two spaces. Like wtf.

Then just something funny. I was in the self checkout area and another guy also using the self checkout started talking about how it was taking jobs away from people. I lol'd.

Gotta agree with BIL that regional difficulty differences can make them to be like two different games. Ninja Gaiden III? Props for 1CCing that one. Ninja Ryukenden III: Yomi no Hakobune? Eh, anyone can do it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:21 am 

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Got a fun one... People that drive massive vehicles but then...they can't really handle driving/parking them.

hausfrauen panzer

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:12 am 

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Got a fun one... People that drive massive vehicles but then...they can't really handle driving/parking them. In a parking lot today there was a large van parked diagonally across two spaces. Like wtf.

Then just something funny. I was in the self checkout area and another guy also using the self checkout started talking about how it was taking jobs away from people. I lol'd.

Wow, double up on the Image
You're on a roll :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:01 pm 

Time to triple up on the red white and blue with Binding Arbitration Clauses: just encountered yet another one on a game I picked up (and after waiting over an hour for updates to download), so back to the store it goes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:51 pm 

Millions of administration and law workers paid because they're certified qualified for the job...not a single one can make a fucking pdf.

punk ass bitches

EDIT: also people who give the cold shoulder / silent treatment for fucking nothing, no explanation, not the balls to speak their heart, talk with/confront people.
So easy, no risk of being wrong and realize maybe you're being an ass, eh?
Well whever you are if you do that you're just a pathetic worm.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:34 pm 

Chrome spellcheck seems to have suddenly lost its shit. "Largesse" and "reticle" are both redlining, among several other conspicuously non-exotic words. Seriously? That's the threshold? I'm surprised "threshold" didn't redline. Making me look up words I already done learn, and shit! :evil:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:03 pm 

according to google spell check
"gamers"
is not a word
please contemplate this, fellow "gamers"

but what drives me even more nuts than missing words in spell check is when the spellings I learned in American schools as a kid are WRONG according to whatever weirdo "American Dictionary" some of these programs are using
for some reason though... I never use the "add to dictionary" function...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:46 pm 

People posting videos to youtube labeled "reviews" of games, but it's actually an hour+ let's play of them ineptly stumbling through the tutorial stage.

The oligarch grabs nine cookies for himself then says to the white dude, "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:02 am 

Mischief Maker wrote:
People posting videos to youtube labeled "reviews" of games, but it's actually an hour+ let's play of them ineptly stumbling through the tutorial stage.

Sounds really gross.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:49 am 

People posting videos on youtube period.

I want to kill them.

(well, not all of them but a lot ^^)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:37 am 

I hope it's a little thing.... but hearing a loud booming noise, then noticing that my boiler is now flashing up multiple error codes has certainly annoyed me for now. Thankfully, the property is rented. This sort of shit is what puts me off ever buying again.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:39 am 

We had to replace our oil boiler for a modern gas one last year, and it was crazy expensive.
Definitely one aspect where I miss renting (or just owning an apartment instead of a house, really). Makes Cave PCB collecting feel like peanuts.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:54 am 

Depends, when the average rent's become equally if not more expensive than mortgage, you actually get more fucked renting.

It's different in every country of course, but in mine that happens in places so if you're here to stay it is better to buy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:34 am 

It's not so much the overall expenses as the sudden appearance of unexpected huge expenses.
Replacing a boiler, or any kind of necessary renovation is not covered by the mortgage.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:54 am 

Sure but sudden big expenses like that happen like once in a decade if we're reasonable or not too unlucky.

Over such long period, vs. paying an insane rent, it can be practically the same amount spent on the 10y bill, except in one case what you've paid is for something you actually own...

Again it really depends where, but these days rent can be so high it's just scam and not worth against buying, even considering 'accidents' like a crapping boiler.

(for several other types of unexpected issues and accidents insurances usually cover so it's not like you're taking 100% more risk when you buy)

It's often more the quality if the purchase that determines if it'll be a win, a so-so, or a loss after a decade or two.
Buying a house is almost an art lol, you're either a noob or a master at the discipline. :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:57 am 

Xyga wrote:
Sure but sudden big expenses like that happen like once in a decade if we're reasonable or not too unlucky.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:14 pm 

I will assume from that meme, that you've been more on the unlucky side. Well...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(honestly I fear car issues much more)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:54 pm 

People acting as if Trump wasn't the single most ridiculous illiterate manchild ever, and acting indignant if somebody who actually doesn't have any stake in the "Is the Democrat or the Republican Party the more evil bunch of people?" because they don't live in the US in the first place points this out. It's fucking mindblowing to me how you can listen to the retarded nonsense that comes out of his mouth, and not immediately burst out laughing, or just shake your head in disbelief and simply walk away. All the whataboutisms in the world won't change the fact that it's impossible for 99,99% of the world population to take this goof seriously. I understand that the US election system and particularly its "winner takes all"-principle is extremely problematic, but none of this shit really matters when I look at a high level idiot of DT's caliber - saying this man is a retard is simply not a political statement...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:08 pm 

You mean the US isn't a shining example of democracy? :O

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:38 pm 

Really, you could argue any country that uses a plurality style vote to elect its political leaders is using a system so inept and incompetent that it is undemocratic in the sense that it utterly fails to accurately represent the collective will of the people.

https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/201 ... n-america/

This sort of thing annoys me. The sheer number of times I've seen people quote or misquote this poem thinking it's some kind of shallow ode to individualism is irksome. I once helped someone personalize a gravestone and they insisted on quoting the last two lines of the poem as if it were some inspirational drivel when the poem read as a whole is about the self-deceptions we practice on ourselves to make ourselves feel better.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:28 pm 

Mischief Maker wrote:

I'm not sure who I hate more, the industry for deciding it was cheaper to replace manuals with tutorial levels, or the dumbasses who never fought back because they never read manuals in the first place.
A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:40 pm 

When that fucker Steamflogger spams the forum.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:45 am 

When mispronunciation becomes a bit, as in "[flub] LMAO I mis-spoke! I meant [flub] OH HAHA I'm such a mush-mouthed fuck, I did it again! [long pause ; flub] LMAO it keeps happening [flub ; flub ; flub]". I'll be tempted to switch off even speakers I enjoy listening to when this happens. When co-hosts join in, hoooly fuck I want to Roy Batty someone's face.

Admittedly there is the odd gem, but even these should be quickly moved on from (see example). And like other people's dreams and the odd points of interest therein, they are gems in a sea of boring shite I don't want to hear!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:01 am 

It's 2020 and online shopping from Japan is 90s at its worst.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:50 am 

When you pick a specific eBay listing because the text says
Quote:
Economy Shipping does NOT include insurance or tracking and takes 1-2 weeks

And then a few days later you get a mail where the seller says
Quote:
I've added tracking free of charge (xxxxxxxxx) to the item.

Ghhrraaaa >:| At least ask me first.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:46 am 

I wish they passed a law to give people the right to shoot any radio, tv set, phone on speaker, or burn down the whole building like a shop, mall or supermarket, where DANCE MONKEY is playing. :evil:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:04 pm 

Sumez wrote:
When you pick a specific eBay listing because the text says
Quote:
Economy Shipping does NOT include insurance or tracking and takes 1-2 weeks

And then a few days later you get a mail where the seller says
Quote:
I've added tracking free of charge (xxxxxxxxx) to the item.

Ghhrraaaa >:| At least ask me first.

Shipping untracked in 2019 omegalul.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 302, 303, 304, 305, 306  Next