Rolling Gunner (Switch)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
geremy

Re: Rolling Gunner (Switch)

Post by geremy »

When you have green hyper active you get a signal for when red hyper is available. Red hyper counts up while green counts down. If you try to activate red hyper too early it will cancel green hyper. If you wait too long, green hyper can end before you get a chance to activate red. That’s what the circles are indicating in hyper mode.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Trying to sum up the hyper system, as well as scoring elements.

GREEN HYPER
* Collect medals to fill the main counter. Kill popcorn with shot, and big enemies with laser to gain more medals. You also gain more medals the closer you are to enemies.
* When the main counter reaches 1000, you can trigger the green hyper
* When you trigger the green hyper, you get a screen cancel, and a decent number of invincibility frames.
* During green hyper, your shot/laser power increases a little, and enemies shot a little faster

RED HYPER
* Collect medals during green hyper to increase the central red gauge around your ship
* When the central red gauge reaches 10% of its max, you can trigger the red hyper. It might be better to wait until the red gauge is filled to get more time in red hyper though.
* When you trigger the red hyper, you get a screen cancel, and a very low number of invincibility frames, do not even count on them.
* During red hyper, your shot/laser power increases greatly, and enemies shot very faster/bigger, bad guys.
* Hyper refill is teh sh*t : right before the red hyper finishes, destroy a big enemy, or a bunch of popcorn, so that the screen fills with medals. Let the red hyper finish, then collect the medals. If you get enough of them onscreen, here you are ready to green hyper again.

SUBCOUNTER (scoring system, Original or Expert modes only, small counter on the bottom left counter)
* Subcounter increases with each medal grabbed
* Subcounter increases twice as fast while in Green or Red hyper
* Subcounter maxes at 10000
* During Green hyper : subcounter value is added to the score gained by each medal.
* During Red hyper : 2*subcounter is added. This is one of the biggest source of points in the game since each medal normally gives a maximum of 1000 points ; but with subcounter maxed at 10000 and red hyper, each medals is 21000 points. One can get about 50 millions points on stage 1 boss this way, see video courtesy of stanshall on this very forum : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI05nsn ... e=youtu.be
* Subcounter decreases by 50% when the current hyper ends (not when you go from green to red)

RANK/MULTIPLIER : (scoring system, Original or Expert modes only, top counters)
* Little green rank counter increases with each medal grabbed during hypers
* Once it reaches 10000, it is reset to 0 and you gain 0.1 rank.
* The base multiplier is 1, to which is added your current rank. So 1.3 rank means x2.3 multiplier to all score gained
* Rank makes game harder : faster bullets, more bullets. It can make some later parts quite harder than what they would normally be, but the difficulty increase is nowhere near as noticeable as in Garegga.
* Rank decreases by 0.1 when you autobomb, by 0.2 when you bomb, by 0.3 when you die (and so does the multiplier)
* The multiplier is the other big source of points in the game, it can quite easily reach x3 by stage 5 or such if no-miss-no-bomb up to here.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

guigui wrote:Trying to sum up the hyper system, as well as scoring elements.

GREEN HYPER
* Collect medals to fill the main counter. Kill popcorn with shot, and big enemies with laser to gain more medals. You also gain more medals the closer you are to enemies.
* When the main counter reaches 1000, you can trigger the green hyper
* When you trigger the green hyper, you get a screen cancel, and a decent number of invincibility frames.
* During green hyper, your shot/laser power increases a little, and enemies shot a little faster

RED HYPER
* Collect medals during green hyper to increase the central red gauge around your ship
* When the central red gauge reaches 10% of its max, you can trigger the red hyper. It might be better to wait until the red gauge is filled to get more time in red hyper though.
* When you trigger the red hyper, you get a screen cancel, and a very low number of invincibility frames, do not even count on them.
* During red hyper, your shot/laser power increases greatly, and enemies shot very faster/bigger, bad guys.
* Hyper refill is teh sh*t : right before the red hyper finishes, destroy a big enemy, or a bunch of popcorn, so that the screen fills with medals. Let the red hyper finish, then collect the medals. If you get enough of them onscreen, here you are ready to green hyper again.

SUBCOUNTER (scoring system, Original or Expert modes only, small counter on the bottom left counter)
* Subcounter increases with each medal grabbed
* Subcounter increases twice as fast while in Green or Red hyper
* Subcounter maxes at 10000
* During Green hyper : subcounter value is added to the score gained by each medal.
* During Red hyper : 2*subcounter is added. This is one of the biggest source of points in the game since each medal normally gives a maximum of 1000 points ; but with subcounter maxed at 10000 and red hyper, each medals is 21000 points. One can get about 50 millions points on stage 1 boss this way, see video courtesy of stanshall on this very forum : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI05nsn ... e=youtu.be
* Subcounter decreases by 50% when the current hyper ends (not when you go from green to red)

RANK/MULTIPLIER : (scoring system, Original or Expert modes only, top counters)
* Little green rank counter increases with each medal grabbed during hypers
* Once it reaches 10000, it is reset to 0 and you gain 0.1 rank.
* The base multiplier is 1, to which is added your current rank. So 1.3 rank means x2.3 multiplier to all score gained
* Rank makes game harder : faster bullets, more bullets. It can make some later parts quite harder than what they would normally be, but the difficulty increase is nowhere near as noticeable as in Garegga.
* Rank decreases by 0.1 when you autobomb, by 0.2 when you bomb, by 0.3 when you die (and so does the multiplier)
* The multiplier is the other big source of points in the game, it can quite easily reach x3 by stage 5 or such if no-miss-no-bomb up to here.
Great summary. Thanks. This confirmed some of my suspicions and taught me new things too. I’ll have to keep some of this in mind in my next runs.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Yes, thank you for the summary on the scoring and medals/hyper information! It's been a little while since I picked this up, but with this, I certainly have more information than I had before about how to approach the game. Looking forward to the physical Switch release!
Mikendrix

Post by Mikendrix »

Hi

Does anyone knows how exactly the final score is calculated when we do the 6 stages until the end ?
Does it retain the best run ?
Sometimes new points are added (with a little sound), it seems it happens when we have some bombs and lives left, but how is it calculated ?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Every stage has an end-of-stage tally that awards bonus points for medals you collect during the stage (I believe your current medals are reset to 0 for the end-of-stage tally whenever you die) and like many shmups, on the final level the game tallies up remaining lives and bombs. It appears to give a fixed amount for each life and bomb remaining. I'm not sure what the exact value is for each (you can watch a clear of the game on Youtube and it should show you at the end as long as the player had resources left) but it's adjusted depending on the difficulty of the game.
Mikendrix

Post by Mikendrix »

Thanks for the info !

I copy paste here from Twitter :

Rolling Gunner Over Power: Additional information: The graphics are basically the same as the main part, but there are changes in the game system and sound.

It ’s flooded with more bullets than the main story. However, the rolling gun is equipped with a system that can counter it, and the game balance is changed. More details later.

What will be exhibited at Digige Expo will be additional content of the existing PC package version (PC package version is required).

This time, it will be sold as an early access version. (Think of it as a location test of an arcade game)

This content will be provided to the Nintendo Switch version at a later date, but it is likely to be a long time later. I'm sorry.

Q&A :
-----
I wonder if you have any plans for arcade version? EXA Arcadia wants great content like you guys. Exclusive content is required.

I am interested in arcade games. But we can't do more than one thing at a time. And many great shmups are released at the same time, so we are currently observing and researching.

-----

Can we have rolling gunner the online leaderboard addition ?

I'm sorry.
Unfortunately, the leaderboard will not be available this time.

-----
No PS4 or Steam version planned?
The game looks really great

Thank you very much.
I would like to plan something after the physical package is released.

-----
So since I have the PC version I will go to your site to get an update, I am guessing!

We are considering support for customers who have purchased overseas PC packages.
Please wait a moment.
-----

Pictures :
https://twitter.com/rollinggunner/statu ... 44/photo/2
guigui

Post by guigui »

DLC sounds nice, now waiting for Switch version...
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

I'm surprised this title didn't get approached for the Exa. Seems like a no-brainer.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Any word on the physical version? We're very late in 2019 now.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Please note that scores obtained with versions up to 1.20 should probably not be considered compatible with scores from 2.00 (Over Power) onward. Or rather, 2.00's Over Power patch (edit: and also the 2.01 patch for me) makes the original game easier, so clears with the patch applied aren't equivalent with a clear of the 1.20 versions.

The problem is that the Over Power version adds way, way more slowdown to the original game. It triggers almost constantly, for instance on Expert the S1 Midboss does not have slowdown, whereas if you're playing the original game with the Over Power patch it has constant slowdown. The red helicopters in Stage 2 also trigger slowdown constantly. The last attack from the Stage 2 boss has constant slowdown, but it's jittery, as if it rubber bands back and forth. The Midboss of Stage 5 in Original difficulty's last phase now has slowdown, making it far easier to dodge.

The same goes for the other difficulties like Original. Essentially, it makes the main game easier to play after it's had the Over Power patch applied. And I'm not entirely sure it's intentional for there to be all this extra slowdown?

There's also varying levels of slowdown. Unlike Mushihimesama Futari or Blue Wish Resurrection Plus, it's not just On or Off. There's actually even slower slowdown when it gets really dense now.

I'm curious to see if all the extra slowdown is a glitch, or if it's a deliberate change. We'll know when the Switch version gets Over Power, I guess.[/size]
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Special World

Post by Special World »

As I understand it, this game has a good progression of difficulty modes, right? But anything with the full scoring system is nails hard?
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Several difficulty modes. Once rank gets involved (Original and Expert) scoring makes things much harder. Certain bosses have gone from reliefs to absolute walls as I reach them with higher rank!

Lower difficulties can be tough for scoring too as you’re doing lots of pointblanking. It’s got a high skill ceiling all around I’d say.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Special World wrote:As I understand it, this game has a good progression of difficulty modes, right? But anything with the full scoring system is nails hard?
It's got a great mix of difficulty modes:

Novice: The ideal mode for kids or if you've never played a bullet hell before. Or if you want to learn enemy spawns.

Casual: Relaxing but still tricky enough for folks who aren't experienced with arcade difficulty games to enjoy!

Original: Harder on average than some CAVE shmups to 1CC due to how being attacked on all sides is pretty difficult to get used to. But it's a lot of fun! Use those bombs instead of autobombing and you'll find you can stretch your resources a long way.

Expert: Very tough, but not as hard as Mushihimesama Ultra I'd say. You have a LOT of resources at your disposal.

---

Here's a full playthrough of Rolling Gunner Over Power on Expert if anyone's curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydCMfQJRebI
Special World

Post by Special World »

I see that's not your favorite mode, but finally watching a video of the game in action really sold me on it. I'll make it my next purchase after I'm done with Esprade, probably. Great work on the first boss, lol.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
guigui

Post by guigui »

As BKR said, the difficulties are very well balanced. To me, Original is as hard as your average Cave shooter.

Those slowdowns introduced on Over Power modes are scary, any date for the Switch release ?
FRO

Post by FRO »

How do I get Over Power? I bought the physical DVD last year, and I was able to recently download the 1.2 patch from their website, and apply it, but I'd like to know how to actually obtain the Over Power patch, because I couldn't find it on their website.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

FRO wrote:How do I get Over Power?
Step 1: Be fluent in Japanese or know a Japanese speaking contact willing to assist you.
Step 2: Travel to Tokyo, Japan.
Step 3: Time travel back to sometime between Saturday, December 28, 2019 and Tuesday, December 31 in order to attend Comiket 97 and purchase (or get your contact to purchase) a physical copy.

I only got to play Over Power thanks to a friend who let me borrow the copy he purchased at Comiket 97. As much as I'd love to own the game to support the devs, I'm afraid I don't, simply because they haven't even made it available via their listed retailers yet.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

I'm curious how over power runs on pc since the original had a huge issue with the slowdown being...hardware based, my toaster got way more slowdown than the expert clear on youtube
maybe over power fixes it but it's impossible to take seriously right now, everyone's basically playing the game at a different difficulty
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Roo mentioned the slowdown in the original mode in 2.0 being much more common than in 1.2 - it wouldn’t shock me if they hardcoded it to remove the hardware differences. I guess it’ll take a few people comparing their runs to see if it’s running consistently. (I’ll try to throw together an Original run video when I have a chance)
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

CStarFlare wrote:it wouldn’t shock me if they hardcoded [2.00] to remove the hardware differences.
That's a possibility. It feels like a LOT of slowdown has been added but my computer's got pretty high specs so it's possible slowdown they wanted present in the Original wasn't triggering or something? Like, the Stage 5 midboss's last phase on Original never slows down in the standard version making it decently tricky for me unless I resource through it, whereas it always slows down in Over Power.
FRO

Post by FRO »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Step 1: Be fluent in Japanese or know a Japanese speaking contact willing to assist you.
Step 2: Travel to Tokyo, Japan.
Step 3: Time travel back to sometime between Saturday, December 28, 2019 and Tuesday, December 31 in order to attend Comiket 97 and purchase (or get your contact to purchase) a physical copy.

I only got to play Over Power thanks to a friend who let me borrow the copy he purchased at Comiket 97. As much as I'd love to own the game to support the devs, I'm afraid I don't, simply because they haven't even made it available via their listed retailers yet.
That's...disappointing. Hopefully, they eventually get this figured out, and that the eventual Switch physical comes with Over Power baked in.

Regarding the hardware, CStarFlare might be on to something, unless it's a situation where the update changed something that interacts poorly with certain hardware. I don't have the newest setup, but an 8th gen i7, 16GB RAM, and a 6GB GTX 1060 ought to be able to run the game smoothly, and while it's been a bit since I fired it up, I don't recall any slowdown in Stage 1. I'll have to check that out again.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Getting really pissed off at this game again. I fucking hate stage 3. Stage 4 doesn't feel half as bad; 99% of my runs end at stage 3 because of fucking autobomb, retarded purple shit planes ramming my ass, and those fucking turrets.

Original is just such a huge fucking pain in the ass.
guigui

Post by guigui »

^ Stage 3 was also a wall to me for quite some time, mainly because of the turrets.
There is a quite easy way to deal with them efficiently though, requires good placement to misdirect the patterns. The first pattern is the most dangerous, do not hesitate to hyper cancel or bomb here.
mojilove

Post by mojilove »

No need for a time machine - the devs have said on twitter that they will arrange for a way to get it from abroad: "We will make adjustments so that customers outside Japan can sell [Note: I think they mean "buy" here] the Rolling Gunner Over Power download code. The time is scheduled for the beginning of 2020. Please wait a little longer"
FRO

Post by FRO »

mojilove wrote:
No need for a time machine - the devs have said on twitter that they will arrange for a way to get it from abroad: "We will make adjustments so that customers outside Japan can sell [Note: I think they mean "buy" here] the Rolling Gunner Over Power download code. The time is scheduled for the beginning of 2020. Please wait a little longer"
Thanks. I remember seeing that tweet. I'm hoping they figure out their delivery method soon-ish.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

It'd be interesting to know how Rolling Gunner Over Power reacts on older hardware or if the slowdown is intentional. I did find a Longplay (i.e. credit feed) of Rolling Gunner's 1.00 version that has pretty much constant slowdown, and grinds to a crawl whenever they bomb, so it looks like it was played on a computer that couldn't handle it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ31MPdzx0w

Does Rolling Gunner really have somewhat demanding system specs?
Meseki

Post by Meseki »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Does Rolling Gunner really have somewhat demanding system specs?
I think it does, at least for a 2D shmup; I just tried the 20161229 demo again and the game would drop to under 30 FPS whenever I was shooting, and even when I wasn't it still wouldn't be hitting 60 FPS.
But my computer isn't that great, as even RefRain (at least recently) and Blue Revolver get some frame drops, though they're at 60 FPS most of the time.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

EmperorIng wrote:Getting really pissed off at this game again. I fucking hate stage 3. Stage 4 doesn't feel half as bad; 99% of my runs end at stage 3 because of fucking autobomb, retarded purple shit planes ramming my ass, and those fucking turrets.

Original is just such a huge fucking pain in the ass.
I don't get it. This game really isn't any harder than any other Cave game honestly. I can pretty much NMNB Stage 3 9/10 times.