Eco Fighters - struggling to get the feel of it

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
awbacon

Eco Fighters - struggling to get the feel of it

Post by awbacon »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOFCS8l-0H0

When I was recording my gameplay and voice over for Eco Fighters, the same thought kept popping into my head ; this game is just destroying me.

Not sure if it's the random feeling (and at times very fast) projectiles nailing me, or at one point the rocks falling from the ceiling (some of which are almost impossible to see...maybe 5 pixels wide, that will 100% kill you) but I still struggle with improving on Eco Fighters.

I love the theme, the colorful graphics, the secondary R-Type like satellite ship shooting mechanics, yet I am struggling to "vibe" with the game.

I'm curious if my impression is a solid one, or if I am missing something? Who has played, and what were your thoughts?

I was hoping to enjoy it way more than I did. Maybe I just need to give it more time
jugemscloud

Re: Eco Fighters - struggling to get the feel of it

Post by jugemscloud »

i don't think you make any mention it was designed to be payed with a capcom spinner (same as forgotten worlds)
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

I didn't address the spinner as they are basically non-existent at this point, so the spinner as a gameplay option is kind of relegated to the extremely rare segment. I looked for one on eBay and found zero results, so my anticipation was the way I experienced the game would be the way 99% of people would as well

Wish finding the spinner was easier
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Spinner usage was actually a hidden feature in this one, the game was marketed for standard panels.
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Spinner usage was actually a hidden feature in this one, the game was marketed for standard panels.
That's what it seemed like. I couldn't find a single photo of the spinner in a cab in looking into it
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

I haven't played this game for a decade :lol:

However, from what I recall, the weapons are very unbalanced. I remember the cool designated melee weapon actually being worse compared to point-blanking with other weapons. Go figure. Also the shot weapon was meh.

The stage hazards are definitely awful too, but those are just coin-munchers that you can memorize after you encounter them a few times.

Overall nothing out of the ordinary for an arcade shmup.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote:I haven't played this game for a decade :lol:

However, from what I recall, the weapons are very unbalanced. I remember the cool designated melee weapon actually being worse compared to point-blanking with other weapons. Go figure. Also the shot weapon was meh.

The stage hazards are definitely awful too, but those are just coin-munchers that you can memorize after you encounter them a few times.

Overall nothing out of the ordinary for an arcade shmup.
This one to me seemed worse than the rest of the shmups on the CPS 2. The hazards are epic...so hard to tell what you can / cant collide with during gameplay.

The best method I found was to just jam your satellite ship into the bosses and watch them take damage. Not much strategy outside of "lemme ram the part that won't take damage into your sprite"
auryn

Post by auryn »

I have this game in the capcom collection on the Vita. I managed to configure the controls so it plays like a twin stick shooter, that made it slightly easier to get to grips with for me.
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

auryn wrote:I have this game in the capcom collection on the Vita. I managed to configure the controls so it plays like a twin stick shooter, that made it slightly easier to get to grips with for me.
I'd say I'd do a video converting the board to a spinner, but I really don't think I enjoy it enough to really want to spend the time and money getting it done.

I'll try the Vita version, see how that is
auryn

Post by auryn »

awbacon wrote:I'd say I'd do a video converting the board to a spinner, but I really don't think I enjoy it enough to really want to spend the time and money getting it done.

I'm a pretty casual player so I can't speak much to the depth or the scoring, but even with the twin stick style controlling it doesn't really put me in the kind of flow state that a really good shmup can. The presentation is superb though, that's what keeps me playing from time to time.
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

auryn wrote:
awbacon wrote:I'd say I'd do a video converting the board to a spinner, but I really don't think I enjoy it enough to really want to spend the time and money getting it done.

I'm a pretty casual player so I can't speak much to the depth or the scoring, but even with the twin stick style controlling it doesn't really put me in the kind of flow state that a really good shmup can. The presentation is superb though, that's what keeps me playing from time to time.
Yeah the presentation and setting are fun, unfortunately the gameplay doesn't seem to match