Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
tomwhite2004

Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

Post by tomwhite2004 »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:I actually rather dislike Axelay, and the reason for that is almost entirely due to the wonky collision detection in the Mode 7 vertical levels.
Axelay doesn't use Mode 7 for those vertical levels.

https://gendev.spritesmind.net/forum/vi ... php?t=1066
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Oh, interesting to know. I guess stuff like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mode_7 needs to update their info then, haha.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Perikles wrote:Now onto the SFC!
Followed by a few PCE shooters:

Bouken Danshaku Don - The Lost Sunheart: exceptionally weird title even by PCE standards. Superb graphics in favour of a bizarre oculophilia, not sure whether that is explained in the manual or the cutscenes in-between stages in any way. Found out this game is actually broken in various ways at once: boss milking (which would be rather tedious), stage milking and checkpoint milking (by earning several extends from a weird creature without fail). Somewhat appropriate considering the Dalí oddness of the visuals. It's respectably tough for a console-exclusive, with a great variety of bosses that require some twitch dodging (especially the nasty final boss!), the harsh length of checkpoints (usually only one per level) seems somewhat unnecessary, though. Not all of the crystals/ship upgrades are equally useful, it's great fun switching around those that are, regardless. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a hidden gem, an inveterate 16-bit connoisseur will most likely enjoy this one quite a bit, however.

Darius Alpha: scoring higher here means to embrace the time-out cubes which is a surprisingly frightening endeavour even under the complaisant circumstances of some of the easier bosses. On paper, this game should work perfectly (just cut to the chase and present one boss after another, thus, the main appeal of the series), the lack of build-up (both regarding the progression within the game and working on your ship) nullifies that, unfortunately. It's also a shame they couldn't somehow design a Great Thing fight as it is somewhat disappointing to end with one of the less memorable final bosses in the series.

Dead Moon: another HuCard specimen with splendid graphics. It's a shame the actual gameplay is akin to a slightly more demanding Darius Twin as the fast movement of your own ship and a few (mid-)bosses seems like a promising complement to the visual splendour. Doesn't help that the scoring system is ridiculously lopsided (accurately destroy rocks in space for ~85% of your score). Would've loved to see the art direction (mainly for the backgrounds and the bosses) in a PCE X-Multiply epigone or something along those lines. Still a perfectly serviceable game, mind you, but unlikely Bouken Danshaku Don, there are no distinct traits to the gameplay whatsoever.

Deep Blue: genuine phrenesis of mine lead to me trying (and eventually succeeding) to also boost my high score in this one. I will concede that there are a small handful of other shooters on the system which I consider to be worse (Barunba and Legion immediately come to mind), that's not an endorsement for this one in the slightest. What saves it from being the worst of the worst is that with just a minimal amount of familiarity, it is very much manageable. It embarrassingly took me all this time to find out that you don't want to use autofire in this game as the purple laser without it is by far the best weapon in the game for almost every situation. I'm also still convinced it's entirely impossible to survive the final stage of loop 2.

Gradius II: finally tried its "Professional" difficulty. The default setting is obviously a finely calibrated affair already, being very similar to the arcade game, with higher loops having the problematic tendency to produce massive flicker during particularly demanding spots. Professional is an excellent remedy if you just want a meaner variety from the get-go without any technical issues. The additional enemy speed can lead to some frightening situations in the final stage when duckers start to dash across the screen in an instant, the PCE-exclusive stage is likewise prone to create a complication or two if you don't position your options just right. I definitely wouldn't want to play more loops on this setting, but it's definitely a worthy addition for the superb default settings if the mood arises.

Image Fight II: started out just to dabble a bit with it again, then proceeded to exert the most venerable of Irem scoring techniques: checkpoint milking. I'm usually not the most excitable person when it comes to that, the nature of this particular checkpoint as well as the fact that you don't have that many lives to burn while also boosting your score significantly elevated the dreary premise into something decidedly fun - doubly so as I've managed to breach the 1,000,000 points barrier. I furthermore used the black hole blaster armament all the way to the end after picking it up in stage 8, I wasn't even aware it could kill every single boss in less than a second! Really liked the game afore, my appreciation still only improved - after the drama that is PCE Image Fight's Brobdingnagian hitbox handling in what feels like a postage stamp of a playing field, the small hitbox in this one was the one and proper way to address the issue. And unlike Rayxanber II a bit further down, this game has a steady difficulty level: it starts out pretty tough for a console-exclusive, yet never becomes all that much harder. My only real complaint in this game is that some of the proximity bombs in stage 8 are deliberately placed within the black background so that you can't see them before it's too late. I love the idea and most of the execution, but I hate being fooled by charlatanry like that.

Nexzr: decided to tackle Hard difficulty on a whim, loved it while it lasted. This time, I used the little option guys for most of the game after first receiving them, to great effect. It's really interesting how the typical Soldier template of ceaseless action becomes so exalted with just a minimal embellishment of Irem level design and reasonable checkpoints (instead of being overpowered one moment and then essentially in a game over state after the first death in defiance of having tons of lives left). I'm not sure why it took me so long to truly appreciate this game, it's simply phenomenal, a true highlight of the 16-bit shmup realm.

Rayxanber II: was a fierce challenge while it lasted, as usual. The first three stages are trivial once you know the entire layout, but even getting here can take a couple of attempts (always the case for me when I return after a while). Those pretty much serve for building your cushion of lives for when the real game starts with stage 4. I found that the best available option here is to go along with the technical deficiencies: once the parasitic worms arive and then the multitudes of enemies, your autofire will just fail after a while. Instead of switching to manual mashing as I did before, I decided to attempt an irenic method; it pleasantly surprised me with how well it worked. Since enemies will linger around for quite a while before they eventually leave or die on their own, you can induce massive slowdown if you play it like so, effectively reducing the difficulty considerably. Using the upwards blue shot to instantly kill the fifth boss and murdering the final one in its first cycle was supremely satisfying as usual. The uneven difficulty progression is definitively a flaw in this game, despite that I tremendously enjoy it once I get accustomed to it (some of the idiosyncracies can be frustrating at first, for sure). For all its minor foibles, it has an applaudably fair checkpoint system, the pithy length of the game likewise alleviates frustration. Also love the lugubrious theme - at first, its your preposed dirge, then, it's the naenia for this somber alien race. There is an implied tragedy when these giants ghastly howl upon their demise, leaving behind decuman husks.

Tenseiryuu - Saint Dragon: pathetic port of a rather odious arcade original. The primogenitor actually embodies what a lot of people merely ascribe to Irem games: it's almost entirely memorization, with barely any deviations allowed. As a result, it's incredibly frustrating to play with a naturalistic approach (i.e. without watching replays and/or using savestate practice) and not particularly fulfilling even once you've figured it out. The port maintains a phenotypical semblance (albeit severely attenuated), yet removes all of the challenge, and adds horrifically unbalanced sound effects that drown out everything else. It's tricky to say which version is worse - I'm going to go with the arcade version since the port "only" has outright broken scoring whereas the original has one of the most idiotic design choices (surplus lives are converted into millions of points, but at the same time random as hell).

I think I shall end my little 16-bit tour with revisiting Dennin Aleste again, it's been too long. :)

Edit: had a quick go at Winds of Thunder (MCD) beforehand. I actually enjoy the overpowered sword in this version (compared to the PCE CD original where the sword is hardly useful at all), I'm a bit miffed at some of the hit detection (in both versions, that is) nonetheless. The "small man" aesthetics should be imbedded in an appropriate gameplay surrounding, yet in some of the environments, it's clearly not the case. Most of the dodging and moving around is just fine, some sections (e.g. almost the entirety of the final stage, including the boss) dangerously border on Euroshmup territory with how you are at odds with the massive hitbox of your warrior, though. Still an eminently delectable game, it stands out all the more of it, regrettably.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

Played some Radirgy on Dreamcast recently, that game is pretty fun and it has a crazy cool aesthetic, but I'm not sure I 100% get the mechanics.
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Great choice! Radirgy is the embodiment of fun~ :D

The mechanics are as follows.
-You have four tools : a shot, a sword, a rechargeable bullet-cancelling bomb (it's more of a force field actually), and a bullet-cancelling shield. The shield is deployed in front of you when you don't fire for a second.
-You have two jauges : the blue one and the green one. The blue one is for the bomb, the green one is for the score multiplier (and it constantly decreases).
-To refill the blue jauge : destroy enemies or inflict damage in general. The sword can give more jauge refill than the shot.
-To refill the green jauge : cancel bullets with the bomb and/or by using the shield.

So the general game loop in Radirgy is to destroy as many enemies as possible to refill the bomb, then use the bomb and the shield to increase the multiplier. (up to x16) It's also possible to have another bomb ready while the current one is active if you kill enough enemies during the bomb duration. Also keep in mind that the faster you destroy a wave, the faster you'll get the next one so you are encouraged to play very aggressively for high scores.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
blossom

Post by blossom »

Been playing some Battle Bakraid, just casually. I wouldn't mind learning to play for score eventually, though. It's funny how Raizing games at first seem like a broken mess, and the more I dip my toes into various games in the genre... that's still my impression, yet now they're quite an interesting broken mess. Never been a fan of shooters that punish you for bombing, and Bakraid is essentially Bombing: The Video Game.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I've been playing a lot of Futari BL God Mode, inspired by watching Gus's Ultra runs recently. This seemed insurmountable a few months ago when I first started playing the game on BL Original but I'm really pleased with my progress over the last week or so and got some consistency with stage one. Planning to go for a 1CC but learning to score each stage along the way and break it down a bit, rather than feeding my way through to get familiar with the later stages. I don't know if this is the best strategy or not but it gives me shorter term goals and it's such a fun game to learn.

Here's my stage one, 249m.

https://youtu.be/FLukhOxX2M8
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

I'm playing Raiden 1. It's very good, but I find that the ship moves a bit slower than it should. It also really stings whenever you die. I never thought that dying in Gradius or R-Type was as bad as people make it out to be, but here it's an absolute gut punch. I don't consider that a flaw, as that's just how the game was designed to be.
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

blossom wrote:Been playing some Battle Bakraid, just casually. I wouldn't mind learning to play for score eventually, though. It's funny how Raizing games at first seem like a broken mess, and the more I dip my toes into various games in the genre... that's still my impression, yet now they're quite an interesting broken mess.
Yagawa games first seem like a broken mess. All the other Raizing shmups are more straight-forward... Though maybe Dimahoo can be considered a mess. :wink:
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

tomwhite2004 wrote:
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:I actually rather dislike Axelay, and the reason for that is almost entirely due to the wonky collision detection in the Mode 7 vertical levels.

I 1cced it a few years ago and I personally loved it. Didn't notice any collision detection issues whatsoever. I thought the game was very polished.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

tomwhite2004 wrote:

Yeah. In fact, because Mode 7 only allows one background layer on the scanlines it's enabled on, you can't actually do the high/low plane parallax used in Axelay.
Also, if Mode 7 was used there, I suspect that they'd use some horizontal scaling on the background for a better "3D" like effect.

As an aside, I don't actually recall particularly wonky collision in the vertical stages. The perspective [or lack thereof -- the horizontal axis is still orthographic] is really weird though.
I think the effect looks cool as all hell, but it's also still really, really screwy looking, and that fucks me up a bit when playing.
but really, even knowing that it makes the game a bit awkward to play, were I there at Konami working on Axelay, I don't think I'd have changed the vertical stages to be honest :lol:
Seriously, they're really cool.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
blossom

Post by blossom »

Been sifting through dozens of arcade games lately, trying to determine what's interesting enough (for me personally) to clear and/or to score. Not really into the idea of looping, so I'm looking at games that are just one and done. The games I've had the most fun with, even though I am bad at them, are 19XX, Rayforce, and Thunder Dragon 2. Giga Wing is kinda fun, not entirely sure how I feel about that game yet. Also, I really wish I could find a horizontal shooter with scoring beyond killing everything. Prehistoric Isle 2 seems like a possibility?
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

blossom wrote:Also, I really wish I could find a horizontal shooter with scoring beyond killing everything.
Besides doujin games and the obvious examples from CAVE, there are the Parodius games, Choujikuu Yousai Macross II, G.Darius, and Border Down.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
blossom

Post by blossom »

Sadly, I don't have a Dreamcast to play Border Down and I'm not a fan of Cave's complex scoring systems. I guess I like when scoring is just one small component on top of killing everything. As you can imagine, Hellsinker terrifies me.

What exactly is the scoring like in Parodius? Are you talking about the bells?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Macross II (AC) is a good time, as Shep mentions. The scoring is superficially "kill 'em all" but the time attack ethos gives a fairly different spin, getting everything to spawn and killing it when it does while nabbing bonuses. Super-concise with a selection of short courses too, so it's no great time investment.

R-Type Delta (PS1) has some interesting scoreplay. x2 bonus for killing stuff with your Force while a bomb is readied. Even if you hate IREM's signature creeping death, I'd say it's worth a go just to see if the shift from raw survival improves things. It may have the absolute opposite effect, of course. Image Only one loop, and it gives no extends whatsoever, so checkpoint milking is heavily curtailed. Although it's a console original, its upper difficulty and pace is absolutely in the arcade ballpark.
Last edited by BIL on Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Shepardus wrote:
blossom wrote:Also, I really wish I could find a horizontal shooter with scoring beyond killing everything.
Besides doujin games and the obvious examples from CAVE, there are the Parodius games, Choujikuu Yousai Macross II, G.Darius, and Border Down.
Rolling Gunner too.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
blossom

Post by blossom »

@BIL

I am 100% fine with console games, in fact that's where I started with the genre. Just been trying to explore what arcade games I might enjoy. You do make R-type Delta sound a little more involved for score than I expected. I wonder if there is any reason to use that bomb for score? I know you can get the DOSE ready again rather quickly. I need to return to Delta, now that you remind me. Still not made it past stage 4. Perikles also tells me Einhander is a good score game.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

blossom wrote:What exactly is the scoring like in Parodius? Are you talking about the bells?
Mainly the bells, yes. Parodius Da! is pretty straightforward "get yellow bells," like the TwinBee games it originates from, or Yagawa medals if you haven't played TwinBee. Gokujou Parodius and Sexy Parodius add the purple "capsule" bell, which you can exploit in certain places to get more bells than you normally would, but that's a pretty advanced technique (the purple bell turns enemies on the screen into powerup capsules, and since bells are spawned every few powerup capsules, if you do this with enough enemies on the screen you can get more bells than you started with). Sexy Parodius also has coins for you to collect in some stages, which are primarily for the missions but also contribute a bit towards score.

Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius has hidden fairies to uncover (which give score and are also used for unlocks), and I recall there being some targets you could bomb with the blue bells for bonus points, though that's an infinitely looping game anyway so I don't know how much you would want to focus on scoring in that. Its omake stage is a lot of fun though, and notable in my opinion for having bonus coins and bells inaccessible by normal means, so you actually need bells other than yellow for once.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
BIL

Post by BIL »

Obscenely late here, up dabbling with the Arcade Archives releases of Gradius II and Omega Fighter Special. One old-ass favourite and one I've long meant to try out.

THE OLD STONE AGE (PART 1) ♫
Spoiler

MAXIMUM SPEEDO ♫ (NOT CHOANIKI)
Spoiler

Beautiful work on Gradius II: GOFER's Big Day Out. Image Control response is pin-sharp even on my lame-ass Maury tv.

NEEDLES & PINS ♫
Spoiler

Made the boss rush before getting bonked on the head by Covered Core, typical when it's been a while. Friggin tail-fin collision is a tad suspect, exactly as God and Jesus intended (it's been half a decade, but I could swear I remember the beautiful PCE-CD version tightening this up).

ROVE ON THE ROCKS ♫
Spoiler

Big splosion SFX is nutting as fuck via my big speakers, *BOOF* OST is in utterly glorious form, as ever this is an STG to blast at high volume. WTF I love Hamster now! Ain't ever parting with the lovely PS1 Deluxe Pack but it can safely retire now, methinks.

I've never played Omega Fighter Special before, but I can only assume it's controlling fine as well, because it too handles as sharp as the monofilament ninja wire in one of my Japanese animes. Image Got some RTFM to do here, I don't know WTF I'm doing. Feels good though, MULTIPLIERS all over the shop. That main shot, god damn does it shred. Like DDP x Star Force. I looove the concept of a game-length Huge Battleship fight, too. Image UPL had some cool cats in their art department.

EDIT: oh hell yes, it's an enemy-buzzing system. :shock: Yo, this is my ol' METAL BLACK jam. Image

Except now, I GOTS PAID Image
Spoiler

Also, this game's style is unbelievably rad, with a galvanic OST to match.

Drive this planet-killing behemoth back, somehow, or else pay blue's respects. Image
Spoiler

The tug-of-war focus/wide shot seems expertly-judged, and a smart application of the classic Compilesque "dropoff schedule." Felt immediately intuitive, tempering the shot on the fly for wave suppression and hard target demolition.
Last edited by BIL on Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
blossom

Post by blossom »

Funny thing is reviews at the time said Omega Fighter had poor graphics. Maybe on a technical level, because I've certainly seen better from 1989, yet there's something appealing about that game's colors as well as its sprites.
BIL

Post by BIL »

It's got an ethos I'm particularly fond of: old-gen looks powered by next-gen oomph. The way shards of mothership, trifling to the whole but massive from player POV, get sheared away to reveal the hurtling cosmos beneath encapsulates.

I do hope this shit will burn up on entry!
Spoiler

Their Ninja-kun II does similarly - its cute little sprites and flat-shaded BGs could pass for a game five years older, until you run into your first enormous midboss... although objectively not too big a sprite, it's titanic in context, dwarfing all known lifeforms and juddering the screen with butt-slams before it's even visible.

Jesus Christ how horrifying
Spoiler

The juxtaposition of old and new has an exponential effect. Special's maximum wave shot is about on par with Kyuukyoku Tiger's red equivalent, nice n' chunky, but feels like a goddamn Daioujou chainsaw of the gods in this more Slap Fight setting. Image Like WWII technology turned loose on dark ages battlefield.
Mills

Post by Mills »

Twin Cobra F2P
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .TwinCobra

Apart from slightly smaller aspect ratio and ads, the game is very playable.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Raiden III on PS2. Playing it TATE-ed (arcade A).

I simply can't manage that bullet speed. Probably my age (>50). At least that's my excuse.

So I have had to swallow my pride and put it down to Easy. This is the only game I've ever had to do that with to get some enjoyment out of it. The visibility of the bullets at times doesn't help either.

Can get to level 5 on a credit but usually left with 1 life. Just too many silly mistakes. The 1up on level 3 is easy to get. The level 6 one is probably worth bombing for but I've been able to get it with the blue laser alone. My best run was to level 6 scoring 10.4m.

Using score attack to practice 6 and 7. That level 7 boss really needs some bombs for the earlier phases though...

Most annoying sniper is the wee bast that sneaks on during the final phase of the level 3 boss. :)

Is rank linked to powerups? Was wondering what the optimal level is. But a main problem with this game is not picking the tokens up at times!! I have noticed rank dropping after a life loss - but not sure if that is because of the life loss or the power down.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Played a demo version of the indie game Star Hunter (from the Space Moth DX devs) today. It was in a cabinet at Heart of Gaming in Croydon. Only had a chance to play a couple of credits but it was fun and seemed to have some interesting mechanics going on - something like Espgaluda's Kakusei tied to a bullet cancelling/jewel collecting system. I couldn't hear a thing but it was pretty, too.

Also had a quick go on DDP, possibly the first time I've played it on a cab with a 29" monitor. It felt luxurious - miles of manoeuvring room between the bullets. :p
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

Currently going for:

Truxton 2 1-ALL (current best is stage 6 beginning)
keep losing lives to stage 3 boss. I'm still on the fence on whether I want to time him out (kind of tough for me) or just bomb him and take a death somewhere in stage 4 (cuz the boss there is really really hard without bombs). even bombing him to death at max rank is tough though.

Image Fight (J) 2-ALL (current best is 2-1)
second loop is brutal. All I've done so far is died in 2-1 and been unable to recover. But really I need to stop dying so much in loop 1 before I'm too concerned with progress in loop 2 tbh.

MD Same! Same! Same! No-miss hard difficulty 2-ALL (current best is hard difficulty 2-ALL, um, not no-miss)
mostly chill game with some really tough recoveries, especially in the later stages (last one in stage 8 is hugely rage inducing).

going on vacation next week but maybe I can get one of these before the year's over? whatever the case I'm having fun, great games
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Honestly, maybe go for the time out first. It might give you some extra hints on how to deal with it when you go for the full kill for real. It's how it worked when I was doing Giga Wing No Reflect runs, I got stuck at the TLB, discovered I could time it out, then all that effort learning the time out helped when I went back for the KILL ALL THE THINGS clear because the attack that used to terrify me was now relatively manageable.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Been playing a bunch of In The Hunt off the Arcade Archives release. Been working my way up the hi-score mode (which forces default settings and restarts if you pause), which uses the Japan stage order. Since I played thought the World version a few years ago I've been picking it back up fairly quickly; I've noticed a few sections with faster enemy torpedos but otherwise no new issues.

Also I used to play this exclusively using the green shot powerup, but I've found blue to be quite handy in several places. For example the volcanos part, you can fire a blue ripple and move into it, and any fireballs will fizzle when the hit the ripple which makes it way easier.

Made it to the final boss a few times, so hoping for a Japan version 1cc soon.

*edit* Others may already know this but it's new to me and blew my mind: Ok so I just figured out something awesome to do with the big battleships that show up every once in a while. If you shoot the propellers on the back of the boat, you can stop it from moving. Then if you surface and launch homing missiles they'll target the ship cannons and launchers above sea level. You can pick apart the whole top half of the ship this way until it eventually just bursts into huge flames. It's awesome. This is in addition to all the different parts to hit on the bottom of the ship. There's got to be at least a dozen different things to blow up on these things, just a crazy amount of detail went into them.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
crazyrexz

Post by crazyrexz »

darius 1 on megadrive. but on hold since the activity on real life...
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Been playing a lot of Strikers 2 and Gunbird 2 on Switch.
blossom

Post by blossom »

Eschatos advanced mode doesn't get enough love. I'll freely admit the F bombs can feel janky and unintuitive in this mode, however the purple violence is hilariously empowering while not making the game a complete breeze to play. It's the first time I've been tempted to analyze replays in a game just to see what are the "best" moments to stall and wait for bullet cancels.