PSone Laser

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Strider77

PSone Laser

Post by Strider77 »

Does anyone know where I can source a GOOD/RELIABLE PSone laser from?

I purchased one recently but that one was crap.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
fernan1234

Re: PSone Laser

Post by fernan1234 »

Probably this

http://totalconsole.com/KSM-440BAM-Lase ... p_370.html

They sell on Amazon too.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

fernan1234 wrote:Probably this

They sell on Amazon too.
I previously bought one of those. They're new-old-stock, and mine worked great (It's in a console that's in storage at the moment). I imagine their stock is dwindling, because the price shot up earlier this year and hasn't come back down.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

fernan1234 wrote:Probably this

They sell on Amazon too.
I would like an extra actually (just in case there's something my PSIO won't play)....but not at that price. Recently I've bought several PS1's off OfferUp/LetGo for no more than $20....I can buy 4x of them (probably 5 with shipping lol) for that same price and I'll bet collectively those would last a LOT longer than the replacement laser!
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Dochartaigh wrote:I would like an extra actually (just in case there's something my PSIO won't play)....
There's quite a few things your PSIO won't play, and quite a lot more that it will play but badly with the current firmware. They're working on an update that will hopefully fix most of these, but only time will tell. Either way, a good laser is essential even for a PSIO owner.

The price for that replacement is high but sadly that's one of the only few sources guaranteed to provide an actual OEM laser assembly.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

They are worth the $.
Those BAM units play anything fine straight off the bat.
I'd love to sit on a spare.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Honestly besides the confirmation that it comes boxed with an extension cable I don't see any difference with the many other KSM-440BAM selling for 15 bucks all over the internet.

That 'original Sony OEM component' claim smells like easy marketing, where are solid proofs it's not the same trash but sugar-coated ?

EDIT: to be clear even if proved legit quality it's a tough choice when I can get a used PS1 for 10 bucks, loose spares for even less, you even find modchipped ones for 20~30.
Totalconsoles demands $66 for USPS shipping to my place which is crazy, total $146.59 !
With that much, shipping included I can buy like 15 used PS1. :?
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

They are legit NOS. I can confirm.
The price sucks but try find NOS drives somewhere else... you can't.

I did a GB to absorb shipping costs
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I trust you if you say they're legit, but dat price really...ugh. If it wasn't for the shipping joke I'd go for one maybe.

Now I'll just try my luck with used spares, at least I'll get more parts, like I need a new controllers port too so heh.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

They were only $25 for a long time about 2 or so years ago. I bought 2 that time and now wish I had gotten more.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

$25, bloody Hell. :x

Anyway were their shipping fees always that insane? do they charge like two or three rates over for shows or something?

Last time I've paid this much for shipping was for a DVDO video processor - full steel body brick - from Canada.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I had seen those on Amazon from Total Console. I just got one today and it worked great and the shipping was free (with Amazon Prime).

I'd rather just spend the 90 bucks versus gambling over and over on Ebay for stuff that may be crap... or after a year is back to being crap. I've done that twice already.

This worked great out of the box.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Via amazon for me it's $115 instead ($5 shipping, $20 import fee) so slightly less outrageous.

*mumble* Gotta think about it.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

$80?! Damn that’s expensive for a replacement part!
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

opt2not wrote:$80?! Damn that’s expensive for a replacement part!
That's what happens when a part has been discontinued for years; price goes up as stock goes down.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Ok weak crew reporting: got one, it works perfectly indeed. My PS1 seems good to go for another 20 years or so.

It's not greased is it ? didn't pay attention but I guess I can add some later, dunno which type tho.

Note: shit packaging for the price, only a bubble envelope, the box and plastic case inside were crushed but the device undamaged. *whew*

So, worth the money ? dunno, I'm keeping my beloved modchipped PS1 and even if I've paid too much I like that more than the meh compromises of the PSIO.
Sure thing is; that is the last time, won't buy another one and looks like it really is the last bit of stock on Earth, as far as we know.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Just remember to keep it away from the naughty games like Crash Bandicoot.

"Kelly asked how many of these CD hits Andy thought a gamer that finished Crash would have.
Andy did some thinking and off the top of his head said “Roughly 120,000.” Kelly became very
silent for a moment and then quietly mumbled “the PlayStation CD drive is ‘rated’ for 70,000.”

And the other games that slam the laser into the end of the housing to read the disc edge constantly.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Syntax wrote:And the other games that slam the laser into the end of the housing to read the disc edge constantly.
On that topic, 650 or 700, which is better for the PS1 ? (unless it makes no difference drive wear-wise)
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Syntax wrote:Just remember to keep it away from the naughty games like Crash Bandicoot.

"Kelly asked how many of these CD hits Andy thought a gamer that finished Crash would have.
Andy did some thinking and off the top of his head said “Roughly 120,000.” Kelly became very
silent for a moment and then quietly mumbled “the PlayStation CD drive is ‘rated’ for 70,000.”

And the other games that slam the laser into the end of the housing to read the disc edge constantly.
is it possible to burn a copy with the data restructured, or is that game just not meant to be played at all?
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

maxtherabbit wrote:
Syntax wrote:Just remember to keep it away from the naughty games like Crash Bandicoot.

is it possible to burn a copy with the data restructured, or is that game just not meant to be played at all?
That quote's a little truncated, if you look it up elsewhere it states that the entire game constantly spools the disc as the player progresses or backtracks throughout, to load all of the art/audio pertinent to whatever chunk of the level is active.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

What are the other problematic games?

Oh and really, Crash Bandicoot is awful, so it's just saving you from the awful possibility of playing it...
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

The thread where they were talking about it over at the PSIO forums is locked, all I could find via google was.

"so getting 100% in Gran Turismo will kill or almost kill your PS1's CD-ROM. .... Casual runs in many arcade-style games will not kill your PS1 laser fast, but ..."
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I think they killed that development discussion topic both because one user kept repeating stuff about inaccuracy problems, and perhaps more importantly because there was talk about the PSIO clones.

The main takeaway for me is that, for now, no one should update their PSIO firmware to any of the versions released this year. Crash Bandicoot runs without problems on last year's firmware, for those that do want to play it and other games that now run with problems.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Update on the totalconsole lens;

I've added some fresh white lithium grease today and I have to say I've got less noise now, and there was a little hiccup at the start of every game (during bios animation) that was slightly annoying, well it's gone too.

Maybe those stayed a very long time in storage, in any case the grease inside wasn't plenty, some areas seemed to not have any and well so I thought let's grease the shit out of that expensive part.

Also got myself some genuine Taiyo Yuden for the hype before they're all gone.
Steamflogger Boss

I cracked some jokes with Xyga via pm, but I'm now developing a PS1 graveyard through regular use. Literally a pile of dead PS1s, saddens you to see it. The last one dying was presumably in large part to playing through Xenogears on it what with all the cutscenes. It did die after though, was able to do some more daily player stuff (pinball, arcadey, puzzle type).

I've started FFIX tonight on a later model, will it survive the playthrough??!

Worst case scenario I've still got plenty of PS2s and PS3s at least.
arrgeebee

Post by arrgeebee »

Are you guys maintaining the laser works? Rails need to be lubed and the little plastic gears can get brittle and have problems meshing when they get old.
The launch-early models also have hot PSUs that cause the plastic railing to warp.
People also rag on the PS2 drives when a very large percent of the failures are fixed with lubrication. These are 15+ year old consoles after all.
arrgeebee

Post by arrgeebee »

Are you guys maintaining the laser works? Rails need to be lubed and the little plastic gears can get brittle and have problems meshing when they get old.
The launch-early models also have hot PSUs that cause the plastic railing to warp.
People also rag on the PS2 drives when a very large percent of the failures are fixed with lubrication. These are 15+ year old consoles after all.
SAM

Post by SAM »

Where could you get those white lithium grease?
My PlayStation had it laser replaced recently do have some gearing problem.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
Steamflogger Boss

Ah yes, basic maintenance, I never thought to perform that! :roll:
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I recently set up a chipped ps1 for a friend. There were no Taiyo Yuden/JVC/CMC Pro smaller packs near me, so I picked up the higher tier Verbatim ones made by Mitsubishi Chemical Corp. Those one use a very good dye apparently (their name for it is ''AZO''). I think all Verbatim discs under the DataLifePlus series use that dye? but don't quote me on that. Anyway, it looks like the next best thing

He doen't have a CD-burner yet (i burned him 20 discs to get him started) but when he does I told him to only buy quality discs, preferably those and that I could get them for him (he's not exactly as savvy as us on here regardingthat stuff, and not interested into putting time into researching it. like most(sane) people.)

It was really fun setting up a chipped ps1, I haven't done that in ages. I gave him an official s-video cable (which I tested and looks really great). He's got a 24 inch crt in the basement which I convinced him to pick up, he loves it. now he has a N64 plugged into it via S-video, a ps1 via S-video and a ps2 via component. No switcher required, all hooked up directly to the tv, very clean setup. he probably won't get other consoles, that's it for him
-FM Synth & Black Metal-