Retro-bit's Sega controllers

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Retro-Bit

Re: Retro-bit's Sega controllers

Post by Retro-Bit »

Einzelherz wrote:@Retro-bit

Is there a way to change the default setup on the Switch compatible Saturn controllers when used on the switch? It seems that the Saturn D-pad only wants to behave like the Switch Pro left analog stick. I hoped it could be the dpad instead.
If you're using the Switch compatible one, there are macros listed on the instruction manual.

Hold for 5 seconds:

Up + Start = DPad mode
Left + Start = Left Analog
Right + Start = Right Analog
Down + Start = A-B & X-Y flipped
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

See, I knew that. It just didn't work the first time, dag namit. Works great now! Got 10th in Tetris 99 so I'm thrilled!
The Zuck

Post by The Zuck »

@Retro-Bit

Do you know if this adapter works with any of your Saturn controllers?

Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Is there any word on when the Saturn 2.4ghz controllers will be up for pre-order on Amazon?
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

The Zuck wrote:@Retro-Bit

Unfortunately, we do not know. I will check with our QA team if they have this converter but considering they required firmware for the USB controllers to work with their PS3->PS4 converter, I would assume the same. Maybe if you chain the two converters? :D
Johnpv wrote:Is there any word on when the Saturn 2.4ghz controllers will be up for pre-order on Amazon?
Currently, we can't set up pre-orders on Amazon directly. We are still working on that. That said, our Amazon team has listings ready for when they receive their shipments to go live. You can go to their individual pages to set up a notification when they are live.

We do have them for pre-order in the UK, France, and Germany Amazon sites.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

I did see the links on Amazon, but it won't actually let me set up a notification for when they become available. Plus that has always sucked. Any time I use it, and don't keep checking, I get notified like a day or two after stuff goes live and has already sold out again.
The Zuck

Post by The Zuck »

Retro-Bit wrote:

Unfortunately, we do not know. I will check with our QA team if they have this converter but considering they required firmware for the USB controllers to work with their PS3->PS4 converter, I would assume the same. Maybe if you chain the two converters? :D
Thanks for the quick reply! If you find out anything please let me know. If it does work it definitely would be something to advertise. I know a lot of people including myself would love brand new Saturn pads for use on PS2. Even moreso if they are wireless. Moreover, have you guys talked to Sega about doing some limited run themed Sega controllers around their most popular IPs? Like a Knuckles 6-button genesis pad? Or a NIGHTS Saturn pad?
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

The Zuck wrote:Thanks for the quick reply! If you find out anything please let me know. If it does work it definitely would be something to advertise. I know a lot of people including myself would love brand new Saturn pads for use on PS2. Even moreso if they are wireless. Moreover, have you guys talked to Sega about doing some limited run themed Sega controllers around their most popular IPs? Like a Knuckles 6-button genesis pad? Or a NIGHTS Saturn pad?
Yep, we give Brook a shoutout for the PS3-PS4 when we can. We'll look into it!

As for limited edition SEGA IP controllers, that is something that we would love to do. There's a bit more licensing that goes into it (especially with anything Sonic related) but we are open to the idea. We do have some in the pipeline we hope to get finalized soon, but they aren't IPs from SEGA. ;)
Montop

Post by Montop »

The Zuck wrote:
Retro-Bit wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply! If you find out anything please let me know. If it does work it definitely would be something to advertise. I know a lot of people including myself would love brand new Saturn pads for use on PS2. Even moreso if they are wireless. Moreover, have you guys talked to Sega about doing some limited run themed Sega controllers around their most popular IPs? Like a Knuckles 6-button genesis pad? Or a NIGHTS Saturn pad?
I have tried the non-Switch compatible one on a PS2 with the Brook adapter. It kind of works, but the dpad or stick is stuck moving up/left. Buttons work though (have not tried all of them, just enough of the face buttons to see that I can do everything in Espgaluda). I am pretty sure I had it working perfectly fine earlier, don't know what I did differently. Switching modes makes it not register the controller at all, so only the default mode (don't remember if it is x-input or direct input) works at all.
ahaddow

Post by ahaddow »

Hi there, I just saw the tweet about the pink breast cancer controllers.
I'm assuming the d-pad in the Saturn controllers will be using the "new" type of plastic for the actuator?
Also, in general does anyone have any revised opinions of the revised model?
Thanks.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

It's very good.
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

ahaddow wrote:Hi there, I just saw the tweet about the pink breast cancer controllers.
I'm assuming the d-pad in the Saturn controllers will be using the "new" type of plastic for the actuator?
Also, in general does anyone have any revised opinions of the revised model?
Thanks.
Yes, we abandoned the flawed DPad actuators as soon as it was brought to our attention back in April. All the Switch compatible Saturn controllers use the updated, bendy white plastic that is more durable.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

I see the Bluetooth pads have made it into a few YouTube previews now. Are you close enough to be able to give a firm release date on the 2.4s?
werk91

Post by werk91 »

According to Amazon UK the 2.4Ghz pads for Saturn will be released on the 30th of October: Link
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

If it's coming on Oct 30th then I assume Amazon US is never getting pre-orders for it.
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

Johnpv wrote:If it's coming on Oct 30th then I assume Amazon US is never getting pre-orders for it.
Our limitations on Amazon means we can't set up pre-orders there... yet. We're working with the Amazon team to get everything straightened out soon (we hope!). I'm being told that Bluetooth SEGA controllers will be mid-November and 2.4 GHz will be late November. Europe will receive theirs a not long after. However, that's the current outlook. We've been in contact with our factories to ensure everything is up to par. Additionally, pre-orders are up on CastlemaniaGames.com and there are listings on ToyWiz.com as well.

EDIT: We sent out Bluetooth controller samples out to reviewers so there should be some reviews popping up soon.
ahaddow

Post by ahaddow »

I didn't realize the 2.4 model would come with dongles for USB and for an original Saturn. That sways my purchase completely. I'm assuming the latency will be much better than Bluetooth.
By the by, Retro-bit, will there be an official/direct page on Amazon Japan? I often see your products available here from resellers, and it can often be cheaper to just ship internationally from Amazon USA.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Retro-Bit wrote:EDIT: We sent out Bluetooth controller samples out to reviewers so there should be some reviews popping up soon.
Please post them if you can. I'm mostly concerned with latency, and the way the d-pad feels. If it feels close to the originals.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

Got to try both the genesis and saturn 2.4 wireless controllers over at the portland retro gaming expo and they both felt good. Build quality and feel are almost like the originals. And both come with their own console dongle and a usb one as well which i thought was pretty sweet.
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

ahaddow wrote:I didn't realize the 2.4 model would come with dongles for USB and for an original Saturn. That sways my purchase completely. I'm assuming the latency will be much better than Bluetooth.
By the by, Retro-bit, will there be an official/direct page on Amazon Japan? I often see your products available here from resellers, and it can often be cheaper to just ship internationally from Amazon USA.
The latency has been very good for our 2.4 GHz controllers. During the show with a floor full of hundreds of people each carrying their own wireless devices, with multiple demo stations running wireless controllers, we only encountered a couple of dropped connections on our prototypes. As far as selling goes, we are only licensed to sell in North America and Europe, not Japan. Any listings you see outside of those territories are by resellers that we can't control.
opt2not wrote:Please post them if you can. I'm mostly concerned with latency, and the way the d-pad feels. If it feels close to the originals.
We are maintaining a playlist of reviews (when they go live) right here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... H1PtZ2UBwA
ahaddow

Post by ahaddow »

Thanks for all the replies!
One more question from me @retro-bit.
Will the 2.4Ghz controllers be able to be used as a wired USB controller as well? Using the charging port or something. Assuming this would eliminate all latency issues should the need arise (I'm imagining using this for the upcoming Analogue Pocket for example).
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

ahaddow wrote:Thanks for all the replies!
One more question from me @retro-bit.
Will the 2.4Ghz controllers be able to be used as a wired USB controller as well? Using the charging port or something. Assuming this would eliminate all latency issues should the need arise (I'm imagining using this for the upcoming Analogue Pocket for example).
In some instances, it could be wired to some platforms. I think this is the case for PC and Android. For other consoles, it'll go into charge mode unless it is synced to a receiver in which case it'll play on that receiver while it is charging.
Guardian's Heart

Post by Guardian's Heart »

It's so nice to see the enthusiasm and technical savvy here regarding two of the very best controller designs ever created.

Unfortunately, I think I have a problem. I ordered two of the classic black Saturn pads from Amazon (for use with original hardware, non-USB versions). My order was placed on May 15th of this year. Upon receipt of the package, I simply placed it in my game room after opening the box to verify the contents.

Fast forward several months later, and I'm reading that there was a problem with the d-pad actuators within the initial shipments. With an order placed on May 15 -- and filled on May 17 -- is it likely that I have two defective Retro-Bit Saturn controllers in my possession?

@Retro-Bit If you are still here, then please advise by all means. Thank so much for your transparency and assistance in advance!
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

Guardian's Heart wrote:It's so nice to see the enthusiasm and technical savvy here regarding two of the very best controller designs ever created.

Unfortunately, I think I have a problem. I ordered two of the classic black Saturn pads from Amazon (for use with original hardware, non-USB versions). My order was placed on May 15th of this year. Upon receipt of the package, I simply placed it in my game room after opening the box to verify the contents.

Fast forward several months later, and I'm reading that there was a problem with the d-pad actuators within the initial shipments. With an order placed on May 15 -- and filled on May 17 -- is it likely that I have two defective Retro-Bit Saturn controllers in my possession?

@Retro-Bit If you are still here, then please advise by all means. Thank so much for your transparency and assistance in advance!
Allow us to address the misconception that ALL Saturn USB pads from the first wave have bad DPads. I am being totally transparent here in that the amount of issues reported has significantly gone down since we've addressed this issue with our factory back in April, but those that did have issues was still a small fraction of the overall "affected" units. I hope that social media and online posts that are quick to point to this issue would also point out that we continue to support any resolution to people's problems, whether it is a DPad issue or anything else. We appreciate everyone that has done so, especially those that frequent this forum!

With that said, as is the same with anyone else, we are still honoring replacements for your units. If you're handy with a screwdriver, we can send you replacement DPad actuators at no cost the next time our time is in the office. Just shoot an e-mail to info@retro-bit.com if you need them or have any other issues. Please include any information about the issue you're dealing with and we will try to respond within the next few business days :)
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Strider77 wrote:Why are we stuck with weirdo color choices for the 2.4 GHz Saturn controllers?

A (non transparent) black, white or (my personal favorite) grey would have been nice.
mario64 wrote:
Strider77 wrote:Why are we stuck with weirdo color choices for the 2.4 GHz Saturn controllers?

A (non transparent) black, white or (my personal favorite) grey would have been nice.
You’re not alone. Makes absolutely no sense to release black in Bluetooth version only. The vast majority of US Saturn consoles are black. We should have a black 2.4ghz option. Some of us are holding off until (and if) that happens. Such a shame

I just went to pre-order the Saturn one....and then didn't because of the above. People who research then dish out money on things like this are usually looking for something as close to their original controller as possible....which is black, NOT see-through.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

And the majority of others just want a controller that works well. Bummer that you can't get over the color of a tool you can't even see while you're using it.
donluca

Post by donluca »

Einzelherz wrote:And the majority of others just want a controller that works well. Bummer that you can't get over the color of a tool you can't even see while you're using it.
Who said he'll use it? He just wants it so he can show it on his shelf along with his Saturn!

/s
FAXME

Post by FAXME »

Can I run multiple 2.4g Saturn controllers on the PC with one receiver (ie in the same style as Xbox controllers work)? I'm after a decent and practical PC couch co op solution.

Thanks
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Einzelherz wrote:And the majority of others just want a controller that works well. Bummer that you can't get over the color of a tool you can't even see while you're using it.
The big appeal of the 2.4 GHz for me is that it comes with a Saturn and a USB receiver. I'll barely use it on the Saturn, where I could just use an original controller, but it will be a great player 2 option when needed. So who cares if it matches?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Are the wired USB pads designed for 1000Hz polling [on Windows]? If not, what's the number?

Also, reminder that these are prohibitively expensive second-hand. There has to be a lot of interest in a re-issue:

(for Playstation 1/2)

Thanks.