From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
it290

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by it290 »

I've been sitting on Scholar for quite a while now—played through the original on PS3 when it was released and missed the DLCs, but all the changes in Scholar make me hesitant about wanting to go through the whole thing again (particular the Heide Knight changes because I really loved the non-aggro nature of those guys in the original DS2). Is it even possible to purchase the original game + DLC on a platform that runs it at 60fps?
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

I don't want my comments to turn anyone off from playing SotFS. I do think it's the weakest FS RPG, but that's a damn high bar. I still enjoyed it for what it was, evidenced by the 170 hours I put into it. It's just... Ineligant. It's like comparing Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3. 3 is a great game, but damn what a step backwards.

I don't think my opinion would even change much were I playing Vanilla DS2. Almost every aspect of the game feels weaker than other souls games to me, and the forced difficulty is definitely not the worst offender. I really utterly hate the changes to rolling and poise, and adaptability is such a stupid statistic.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Austin

Post by Austin »

it290 wrote:(particular the Heide Knight changes because I really loved the non-aggro nature of those guys in the original DS2). Is it even possible to purchase the original game + DLC on a platform that runs it at 60fps?
Steam. The original version is still available there with DLC and it runs at 60 fps. It was on sale last month (may still be as of typing this) for $10 with all DLC. I played my last run via PS3 but I'll probably do the Steam version next thanks to the framerate. It's one of the things I do miss from Scholar.
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

ACSeraph wrote:I don't want my comments to turn anyone off from playing SotFS. I do think it's the weakest FS RPG, but that's a damn high bar. I still enjoyed it for what it was, evidenced by the 170 hours I put into it. It's just... Ineligant. It's like comparing Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3. 3 is a great game, but damn what a step backwards.

I don't think my opinion would even change much were I playing Vanilla DS2. Almost every aspect of the game feels weaker than other souls games to me, and the forced difficulty is definitely not the worst offender. I really utterly hate the changes to rolling and poise, and adaptability is such a stupid statistic.
To use a schump analogy, SOTFS feels like a badly made "second loop" at times. I feel like as a totally new player to the series, areas like Heide's tower with the knights activated and the Iron Keep with all the Allone Knights before Smelter Demon (and then the Smelter Demon) would be incredibly frustrating. I mean I wasn't new to the game when I played Scholar and I thought it was a bit over the top.
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

My days of being voluntary reserve for the DS2 Defense Force are coming to an end.
Especially going back after playing 3.

I've been trying to do a Hexer playthrough and went for Ivory King DLC first this time. It's like pulling teeth, it really is.
Maybe the game would feel less fucking terrible on PC. I don't know. There's so much lag on everything.
The melee before Ivory King himself was a total shit show.

I pretty much just spam Dark Orb at most things because nothing's as efficient or effective. Even the high damage Hexes like Great Resonant Soul don't do much more damage to make the fewer casts or soul cost per spell worth it.
INT 50, Faith 45
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

The spell name is actually Dank Orb.
ACSeraph wrote: I really utterly hate the changes to rolling and poise, and adaptability is such a stupid statistic.
No lies detected.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I was a sad enough fuck to de-spawn horsefuck valley loool

https://youtu.be/cgvWzS5mSw4
Steamflogger Boss

Blinge wrote:I was a sad enough fuck to de-spawn horsefuck valley loool

https://youtu.be/cgvWzS5mSw4
I'll go make you a medal. Horeeee shieeeeeeeeet.

Now use a bonfire ascetic. :lol:
Austin

Post by Austin »

Haha! That's certainly one way to do it, but I can't imagine the amount of time it must have taken to get them to despawn. How many horses typically appear on the run to the boss? Four, five, six, more? Multiply that times 10 or 15 (I can't remember the respawn limit) and that's a lot of horses you have to mow down to keep them from reappearing.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

The respawn limits actually vary by enemy, right? I think it is 10-15. I can't remember what the deerhorse limit was, I actually did this a month ago and forgot to upload.

The Horses work by spawning if you enter their catchment area. The good thing is, you don't have to return to a bonnie to completely empty the area, they'll deplete and be permanently despawned on one 'life' if you can survive to kill enough.

The difficulty comes from having to kill them in time for the next one to spawn during the next blizzard. If they take to the sky and just zone you out, you'll have to deal with two. The routes between the buildings weren't too tough.

The other difficulty was the area outside the third ruin (the one with the Ice Armoured dude); it appears to be sitting awkwardly between three (!!) catchment areas so at times I was fighting 3 of them fucking things at a time.
I would edge forward into what I thought was an area and mark it out with prism stones to try and keep track or minimise the amount i'd have to fight at once.

I actually loaded an old char to do this, the king's pets have been dead for a year..
BIL

Post by BIL »

I didn't know WTF I would get clicking on that video, especially when I saw you were playing as GATTSU! (hang on that's not spikey hair!) Went the whole thing terrified of invisible rapehorse! TBH I worry about you young people Image

Spoiler

EDIT: ^ horses must've BUMMED HIM 2 DEATH Image
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Ok I can't hold it anymore, am I the only one here OCD-enough to be annoyed by this ?

PLEASE :| :mrgreen:
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BIL wrote:I didn't know WTF I would get clicking on that video
Ahahah oh no BIL.. why!?
this is like a sick in-joke for souls fans.
you have to have played #2 to know wtf i'm on about.

sorry for boring you haha.
cough play DS1 or BB :x
BIL

Post by BIL »

No I was SCURRED :o I'll get around to 'em. :wink:

EDIT ps Squire says BB is good 2 so that one prob be first! But 4 now here is a quick demo of my 3D action skills
Spoiler
yo I'll still beat u @ IMAGEFIGHT :oops:
Last edited by BIL on Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Xyga wrote:Ok I can't hold it anymore, am I the only one here OCD-enough to be annoyed by this ?

This disturbs me too, every single day.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Xyga wrote:Ok I can't hold it anymore, am I the only one here OCD-enough to be annoyed by this ?

Haha.. It gets to my OCD too every time this thread is bumped.
guigui

Post by guigui »

LIB : woh somec enyona did (see this one ?) ton paly DS1 tey on Obtocer 1920 ?

Blinge : now do please make my dream come true : a completely empty soul game, no foes, no NPC, no one (except the ones you can not touch like Eternal Dragon DS1). This is not possible in DS1, DS3 and BB because enemies somehow respawn when you run across the map, even if not touching a bonfire.
But it is doable in DS2 with the despawn mechanic. Please do it, then make a 5 hours length video of you walking through the game, alone.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

Illyrian wrote:
ACSeraph wrote:I don't want my comments to turn anyone off from playing SotFS. I do think it's the weakest FS RPG, but that's a damn high bar. I still enjoyed it for what it was, evidenced by the 170 hours I put into it. It's just... Ineligant. It's like comparing Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3. 3 is a great game, but damn what a step backwards.

To use a schump analogy, SOTFS feels like a badly made "second loop" at times. I feel like as a totally new player to the series, areas like Heide's tower with the knights activated and the Iron Keep with all the Allone Knights before Smelter Demon (and then the Smelter Demon) would be incredibly frustrating. I mean I wasn't new to the game when I played Scholar and I thought it was a bit over the top.
The first thing I thought when I played PS4 SOTFS was "They watched the speed runs and tried to add choke points and extra enemies to screw with speed runners in particular". It's a shame that they didn't put both versions of SOTFS on the disc and have the second version as an unlockable. It's way too big of a middle finger to people who didn't play Vanilla, but for a returning veterans it's a nice challenge.

Has anybody tried the DS2 mod "Auger of Despair"? I'm currently playing it and it's enjoyable. There are a few areas that have been reworked significantly, tons of new enemy placements, item placements, etc. It's quite enjoyable and just a refreshing change of pace from SOTFS.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

guigui wrote:LIB : woh somec enyona did (see this one ?) ton paly DS1 tey on Obtocer 1920 ?

Blinge : now do please make my dream come true : a completely empty soul game, no foes, no NPC, no one (except the ones you can not touch like Eternal Dragon DS1). This is not possible in DS1, DS3 and BB because enemies somehow respawn when you run across the map, even if not touching a bonfire.
But it is doable in DS2 with the despawn mechanic. Please do it, then make a 5 hours length video of you walking through the game, alone.

Coming right up.
Why do you think I started with Horsefuck first.... :wink: :wink: :wink:
Nah really I have no capture card so get ready for TV being filmed lmao. Also someone's already recorded the base game despawned.

beat me to it years ago.. No DLC tho.
https://youtu.be/G3NzE6BkGjE
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Demon's Souls is pretty grimdark like whoa. After 10 years of the game being out I finally met Patches last month, hooray! Not a fan of Stonefang once you get past the first boss-ish, the dark plank maze is absurd (especially as I seem to have my black levels crushed and can't see a damn thing) and the lava worm tunnels are just empty and useless. I've taken a break from the game for the last month or so, but I was getting ready to do one or two last runs to clear out some of the wacky item placements in the first area of Tower of Latria. Game seems kind of uneven in many ways, and I am sad the swamp is...what it was, rather than what I was expecting from a long-ago description here. The nature-themed areas from the later games are much more to my liking. Here's to hoping the game gets its rumored remaster by Bluepoint Games, specifically with that last stone intact.

I also got ahold of Armored Core 4. Slow going, but I kind of like it. I finished up all the simulation battles unlockable by Chapter 3 last night, so there's just a handful left for later in the game. I rather don't much like the shoulder weapons system, or the overboost mechanic, as they both seem to operate with a delay / not at all, given the circumstances. Ditto my weapon selection automatically changing during fights. This is the first Armored Core game I've actually played since the original.
Steamflogger Boss

Lots of can't see fuckin shit in Demons Souls.
guigui

Post by guigui »

That swamp in Demon's Souls was absolute hell, just like a swamp should be ?
First time I set foot in the Dark Souls one, I thought "oh no, not again". But DaS swamp is easy peasy, thank you.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

As a "Blighttown" it's OK, but I'm just miffed that there's nothing that looks much like a swamp =) The low poly budget is really apparent in some of these areas, and the game still runs like crap much of the time.
Steamflogger Boss

Ed Oscuro wrote:and the game still runs like crap much of the time.
The From Soft experience. Though they are getting better.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

OT but: From's hardly the only temporal aggressor from that generation though - Infamous has some pretty hideous latency in places, and Fable II basically explodes into pixelated nonsense any time you drink an experience potion or kill a boss (not that you kill many bosses in that game). I'd call it the curse of that generation. Well, there are some games with stable framerates, but not enough.

Part of the reason why I'm still bullish on the X360 - Microsoft seems to be invested in bringing old games forward and likely with some enhancements even for non-"Enhanced" titles. Too bad Sony seems to have ruled out making a comparable effort, as a number of PS3 games are still exclusive or have minor benefits that would make them interesting to play with a steady framerate or higher resolution.

I think DS2 is roughly where From started to get serious about framerate issues, what with the whole 30fps vs 60fps kerfluffle (:
Steamflogger Boss

Agree. Dark Souls remastered was fucking amazing and what the game should have always been. Bloodborne and DS3 mostly ran damn good. And in general I agree about that game gen. People make fun of the remasters but damn if they aren't way better... I've bought many for that reason.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Were King's Field Additional I& II ever fan-translated?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

So in short the From-Souls-to-play/own shortlist this gen is;

- DS remastered
- DSIII goty
- Bloodborne goty

A large portion of the thread sems to be just arguing about that when you condense it, so I'm asking bluntly. :p

(skipped the PC/Xbone equivs iam a ps4 man)
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Sure, that looks good.
What else would you consider? DS2 Remaster and Sekiro?
Steamflogger Boss

Sekiro is definitely worth playing.