OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
nmalinoski

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by nmalinoski »

Mantrox wrote:Quick question, can i upgrade directly to the latest firmware, from any previous firmware?
Or do i have to do any incremental step?
All OSSC firmware updates overwrite the existing firmware, so you can go directly to any version, including downgrades. Just keep in mind that if you decide to downgrade to <0.74, you will lose support for SD cards larger than 2GB.
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

nmalinoski wrote:
Mantrox wrote:Quick question, can i upgrade directly to the latest firmware, from any previous firmware?
Or do i have to do any incremental step?
All OSSC firmware updates overwrite the existing firmware, so you can go directly to any version, including downgrades. Just keep in mind that if you decide to downgrade to <0.74, you will lose support for SD cards larger than 2GB.
I knew there was a quirk, i just didn't remember what it was. Better safe than sorry.
Thanks.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Is the same true for profiles? Will I be able to go straight from 0.82 to 0.84 in the online tool, or do I need to go through 0.83 first?
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

I've just bought an OSSC myself and although I've only had it for a few days it's pretty decent :)

However, I have lots of SCART cables for various machines but I've found that most of them don't provide seperate audio cables. It's fine for the PS1 but not for the Saturn as the PS1 has 'L & R' seperated cables.

What sort of solutions have you all managed to come up with? I can simply get a break out box for it and then control the audio levels as one idea but I'd be happy to hear what else people have found.
More Bromances = safer people
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Why do you need audio breakout cables? The OSSC supports audio input over its SCART socket, providing HDMI output with digital audio. If you need to connect it to an analog audio device rather than via your AV receiver or television, the OSSC has a switch to bypass the analog-to-digital audio conversion to do a straight passthrough to the 3.5mm jack.
Last edited by Guspaz on Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

SavagePencil wrote:Is the same true for profiles? Will I be able to go straight from 0.82 to 0.84 in the online tool, or do I need to go through 0.83 first?
The online tool is a different thing, but I believe one of the biggest reasons for having that online tool is preserving your settings across versions, so I believe you'll be able to load the JSON backup of your 0.82 settings and export a new JSON and binary for 0.84.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Guspaz wrote:Why do you need audio breakout cables? The OSSC supports audio input over its SCART socket, providing HDMI output with digital audio. If you need to connect it to an analog audio device rather than via your AV receiver or television, the OSSC has a switch to bypass the analog-to-digital audio conversion to do a straight passthrough to the 3.5mm jack.
Thanks - it's SW4 right next to the 3.5mm jack on the left side. There's a toggle switch that simply needs to be set for anyone else just starting out with the OSSC.

Thanks for that, Guspaz ;)
More Bromances = safer people
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

nmalinoski wrote:
SavagePencil wrote:Is the same true for profiles? Will I be able to go straight from 0.82 to 0.84 in the online tool, or do I need to go through 0.83 first?
The online tool is a different thing, but I believe one of the biggest reasons for having that online tool is preserving your settings across versions, so I believe you'll be able to load the JSON backup of your 0.82 settings and export a new JSON and binary for 0.84.
Am I mistaken in that I was able to go from firmware 0.83 to 0.84 without having to reinstall my profiles again?
DatMonkey

Post by DatMonkey »

Xyga wrote:
DatMonkey wrote:Are there any plans to bring scaling filters into the official firmware of the OSSC? I am referring to these: https://www.videogameperfection.com/201 ... s-feature/

Normally I hate these kinds of filters but for 3D games in 480p 2x they do look good on certain games. It just makes the OSSC destroy the mcable :D
Well...

- Not everyone likes the same type of scaling / smoothing.
- Not everyone has seen all possibilities so a popular 'vote' could privilege awful filters (many ppl still only know about ancient crap like Eagle, HQx, or even bilinear, because they haven't seen nor used better even after 20yrs of emulation)
- Smoothing filters that go along well with display's scaling interpolation aren't legion.
- Who besides marqs and maybe a couple contributors have any clues of the possibilities?

Personally I'd love fine custom X & Y separate directional blur, combinable with scanlines, but I'm gonna guess it is a crazy pipe dream. :mrgreen:
Several would probably like something like the RetroTink2X's, which I find too strong.
Fudoh would maybe like smthng like the 'pixellate' shader, not blur.
etc...
Well yes, everyone likes different things but I don't see how that would be a problem for implementing existing filters. Since there are some filters already that are ready-to-go, it would be nice to just bring them into the official firmware, and from there work on adding more. If someone dislikes them, then just don't use them.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Oh I just meant there may be be so little room/ram that it might be a tough choice for marqs & co.

If for instance shoving even just one in would mean concessions that would disappoint a portion fo the users, coupled with dislike for the selected filter (the existing one is ugly to a lot of ppl I will bet) then it's a tough choice on the dev side.

Rather, a maintained separate filters-carrying firmware would be more acceptable (but heh, only them know, maybe we can have everythin in one...)
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Is OSSC still the best?

Has anyone had any issues with the scart input coming loose? I have an XRGB2 which this has happened to.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Does anybody know if the OSSC can grab the "super resolutions" used by some emulators?
If i recall correctly, currently in my Groovymame setup for example, in a 320x240 game the emulator outputs 2560x240.
I'm gonna try it eventually and see what happens, but just wanted to know if somebody had experience with this.
awe444

Post by awe444 »

Mantrox wrote:Does anybody know if the OSSC can grab the "super resolutions" used by some emulators?
If i recall correctly, currently in my Groovymame setup for example, in a 320x240 game the emulator outputs 2560x240.
I'm gonna try it eventually and see what happens, but just wanted to know if somebody had experience with this.
Once it’s an analog signal (which it must be of you’re inputting to the OSSC), there is no notion of horizontal pixels. So yes, the OSSC can sample these emulator-output super-resolution signals, including using optimized modes for 320x240, 256x240, etc.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Is OSSC still the best?

Has anyone had any issues with the scart input coming loose? I have an XRGB2 which this has happened to.
When I used my SCART input, it came loose any time I moved the OSSC. This was problematic when testing systems because I would constantly lose audio only! I don't know if SCART does locking clips, but it would be useful, not requisite. Didn't SCSI or GPIB cables have locking clips in the day?
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

awe444 wrote:
Mantrox wrote:Does anybody know if the OSSC can grab the "super resolutions" used by some emulators?
Once it’s an analog signal (which it must be of you’re inputting to the OSSC), there is no notion of horizontal pixels. So yes, the OSSC can sample these emulator-output super-resolution signals, including using optimized modes for 320x240, 256x240, etc.
Thanks for the clarification.
It still escapes me why exactly the number of horizontal pixels doesn't matter. I just don't understand enough about this subject.
DatMonkey

Post by DatMonkey »

Xyga wrote:Oh I just meant there may be be so little room/ram that it might be a tough choice for marqs & co.

If for instance shoving even just one in would mean concessions that would disappoint a portion fo the users, coupled with dislike for the selected filter (the existing one is ugly to a lot of ppl I will bet) then it's a tough choice on the dev side.

Rather, a maintained separate filters-carrying firmware would be more acceptable (but heh, only them know, maybe we can have everythin in one...)
I see, now I understand. Hopefully there is enough room for it, but I do agree that many other functions are preferred over this.

The unofficial filter-firmware is on 0.77, so here's hoping we get one that is more up to date 8-)
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

ldeveraux wrote:

When I used my SCART input, it came loose any time I moved the OSSC. This was problematic when testing systems because I would constantly lose audio only! I don't know if SCART does locking clips, but it would be useful, not requisite. Didn't SCSI or GPIB cables have locking clips in the day?

It's better if an extension is used. If you Leave that part in the ossc it should not move or jig around.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

neorichieb1971 wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:

It's better if an extension is used. If you Leave that part in the ossc it should not move or jig around.
An extension to the extension?? I had a SCART cable coming from my switches directly to the rear of the OSSC. The only ways I found to prevent this are:
-A cable lock (there isn't one)
-Keep the OSSC accessible to easily change cables
-Don't touch the OSSC ever

I opted instead to terminate in component so the SCART doesn't come loose. :mrgreen: :idea:
marqs

Post by marqs »

DatMonkey wrote:
Xyga wrote:Oh I just meant there may be be so little room/ram that it might be a tough choice for marqs & co.

I see, now I understand. Hopefully there is enough room for it, but I do agree that many other functions are preferred over this.

The unofficial filter-firmware is on 0.77, so here's hoping we get one that is more up to date 8-)
All FPGA RAM blocks are utilized, so there's no room for additional line buffers which I think many of the filters would need. A filter-tailored firmware could trade line buffer width to more buffers (would remove Generic line4x/5x modes), so it should be still possible to rebase the implementation over newer firmware versions with that tradeoff.
ZTylerDurden

Post by ZTylerDurden »

Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out if the OSSC would improve the visual quality of my setup.

I have a Dreamcast hooked up to my LCD monitor (not hdtv) via VGA that has 1:1 pixel mapping so it does a great job of capturing the full DC 480p resolution. Throwing in a scanline generator makes it look even better.

So my question is about upscaling. I've read that hdtv's don't have good upscalers and this is where the OSSC shines. Howabout high quality LCD monitors and their upscaling potential vs OSSC? I really like how my DC looks on the monitor, but, if it can look even more crisp I'll have to consider getting one.

Thanks!
Windfish

Post by Windfish »

Where does one look for settings guides? Say I want settings for GameCube and Wii, for example.
Windfish

Post by Windfish »

^As I wait for someone with more expertise to chime in, I am fiddling around with the settings myself. Line-doubling 480p sources like the GCN and Wii result in a brighter image, perhaps too bright. I notice a lot more detail, but the colors become cooler and shadows become less pronounced. What are people's experiences here?
Kez

Post by Kez »

Windfish wrote:Where does one look for settings guides? Say I want settings for GameCube and Wii, for example.
FBX has some settings here:

http://www.firebrandx.com/osscprofiles.html

For 480p consoles, there is not much dialing in to be done.. you can just set it to x2, with upsample2x and that's about all you need.

Windfish wrote:^As I wait for someone with more expertise to chime in, I am fiddling around with the settings myself. Line-doubling 480p sources like the GCN and Wii result in a brighter image, perhaps too bright. I notice a lot more detail, but the colors become cooler and shadows become less pronounced. What are people's experiences here?
This is probably because your TV is processing the signal differently, and switching modes. The OSSC doesn't change the colours at all when switching to Linex2. My Samsung TV switches to "PC" mode when I use some of the weirder resolutions from the OSSC, and the colour settings are stored independently from "Game Console" mode.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

Wouldn't it be a great idea to have the Firebrandx optimal timings preloaded with a new firmware update? :?:
Kez

Post by Kez »

H6rdc0re wrote:Wouldn't it be a great idea to have the Firebrandx optimal timings preloaded with a new firmware update? :?:
In principle yes, but the profiles are not 100% transferable between setups. Some settings, particularly sampling phase, need to be adjusted in situ. Bundling the profiles in would probably just lead to more questions and confusion.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

Kez wrote:
H6rdc0re wrote:Wouldn't it be a great idea to have the Firebrandx optimal timings preloaded with a new firmware update? :?:
In principle yes, but the profiles are not 100% transferable between setups. Some settings, particularly sampling phase, need to be adjusted in situ. Bundling the profiles in would probably just lead to more questions and confusion.
Yep I know but it’s just sampling phase nothing else.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

H6rdc0re wrote:
Kez wrote:
Yep I know but it’s just sampling phase nothing else.
horizontal backporch also varies slightly
ZTylerDurden

Post by ZTylerDurden »

ZTylerDurden wrote:Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out if the OSSC would improve the visual quality of my setup.

I have a Dreamcast hooked up to my LCD monitor (not hdtv) via VGA that has 1:1 pixel mapping so it does a great job of capturing the full DC 480p resolution. Throwing in a scanline generator makes it look even better.

So my question is about upscaling. I've read that hdtv's don't have good upscalers and this is where the OSSC shines. Howabout high quality LCD monitors and their upscaling potential vs OSSC? I really like how my DC looks on the monitor, but, if it can look even more crisp I'll have to consider getting one.

Thanks!
Bumping since admin didn't approve for two days
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If you have a emulator like MAME installed you can try this for yourself: adding a OSSC to the DC is like setting a prescale factor in your emu. You get "hard" doubling to 960p and then your monitor interpolates to the panel resolution. This results in a sharper image than directly upscaling the 480p image. Can be "too sharp" though, depening on your taste.
ZTylerDurden

Post by ZTylerDurden »

Fudoh wrote:If you have a emulator like MAME installed you can try this for yourself: adding a OSSC to the DC is like setting a prescale factor in your emu. You get "hard" doubling to 960p and then your monitor interpolates to the panel resolution. This results in a sharper image than directly upscaling the 480p image. Can be "too sharp" though, depening on your taste.
Perfect. I can do a side by side comparison and see what looks better. Thank you!