OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Kez

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by Kez »

Yeah, blurred n64 games output 640x240.. with OSSC you can sample 320 pixels horizontally which effectively removes the blur. Some games do actually use the 640 res though.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Windfish wrote:^Yes, my n64 is modded for RGB. And according to a comment thread on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCorybNncmA&t=32s

YT vid:

"I am not using a Gameshark. It's the 320x240 optimized mode on the OSSC. With the correct settings it removes the N64 blur."

So apparently the OSSC can work some magic on n64?
Unless that commentor is talking about the RGB mod itself removing the hardware blur, there's nothing the OSSC would be able to do to remove the blur itself (would also need the Gameshark codes to remove the software blur as well if I remember correctly).
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Dochartaigh wrote:
Windfish wrote:^Yes, my n64 is modded for RGB. And according to a comment thread on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCorybNncmA&t=32s

YT vid:

"I am not using a Gameshark. It's the 320x240 optimized mode on the OSSC. With the correct settings it removes the N64 blur."

So apparently the OSSC can work some magic on n64?
Unless that commentor is talking about the RGB mod itself removing the hardware blur, there's nothing the OSSC would be able to do to remove the blur itself (would also need the Gameshark codes to remove the software blur as well if I remember correctly).
No it can. It "removes" the blur simply by not sampling the blurred pixels
Windfish

Post by Windfish »

Kez wrote:Yeah, blurred n64 games output 640x240.. with OSSC you can sample 320 pixels horizontally which effectively removes the blur. Some games do actually use the 640 res though.
Can you think of any games that use it off the top of your head?
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

Not complete, but just spontaneously out of my head: Goldeneye 007, Mario Tennis, Mario Party (1-3), all Wrestling games, Perfect dark in High Res mode
Not 100% sure; correct me if I’m wrong
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

maxtherabbit wrote:No it can. It "removes" the blur simply by not sampling the blurred pixels
Sorcery I say!!!!

SO wait....this is meant to get rid of the software blur then, right? Since most people being able to output RGBS to an OSSC would most likely already have the Tim Worthington N64 RGB mod with hardware deblur already?

I mean, I'm weird because I have a pro S-Video to RGBS 'converter' so I could go to the OSSC, but most people don't have those.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Dochartaigh wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:No it can. It "removes" the blur simply by not sampling the blurred pixels
Sorcery I say!!!!

SO wait....this is meant to get rid of the software blur then, right? Since most people being able to output RGBS to an OSSC would most likely already have the Tim Worthington N64 RGB mod with hardware deblur already?

I mean, I'm weird because I have a pro S-Video to RGBS 'converter' so I could go to the OSSC, but most people don't have those.
No it gets rid of the hardware blur (the interpolated pixel outputted after every "normal" pixel)

I use it with my NA launch model with the THS RGB buffet mod, if you have an FPGA based RGB mod it doesn't help you
Windfish

Post by Windfish »

So... I haven't attempted this n64 "sorcery" yet, but my question is: is this method going to ruin some games that require the higher res mode?
Kez

Post by Kez »

Windfish wrote:So... I haven't attempted this n64 "sorcery" yet, but my question is: is this method going to ruin some games that require the higher res mode?
Yes but it is optional, you could easily save an OSSC profile that is optimised with deblur and switch to a generic 4:3 profile for the 640x240 games.

There is a recent thread on VGP here where someone dialled in their N64 using this method, should be enough info for you to get it set up.

And to be clear, if your RGB mod is one that includes deblur (i.e. Tim's or Borti's boards) then you don't need to do this (though it will still look sharper with the optimal timings).
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Nevermind.
marqs

Post by marqs »

The next firmware version is getting ready for release, and it will include OSD and FPGA timing improvements. I created a pre-release JTAG-programmable version (link) for users with USB Blaster. The official images will be released after a while if no new issues are reported.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

That's neat! Thanks once again for the updates! The OSD will mirror the front display 1:1 ?
marqs

Post by marqs »

Fudoh wrote:That's neat! Thanks once again for the updates! The OSD will mirror the front display 1:1 ?
Currently yes, but the implementation allows a larger array so it should be possible to fit in complete menu at the expense of some extra SW code. The current font ROM is also basic IBM VGA font - I'm trying to find a 8x8 ASCII+Katakana ROM file (looks something like this) which would work for the translated images.
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Wow, I thought an OSD wasn't even possible. Great work!
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

With every new firmware I can hear Donpachi's "POWER UP!" sound sample.

EDIT: I mean there's tons of hardware receiving FW updates out there, but it's mostly boring stuff. With the OSSC we've seen insane progress with entirely new features, many times.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

marqs wrote:The next firmware version is getting ready for release, and it will include OSD and FPGA timing improvements. I created a pre-release JTAG-programmable version (link) for users with USB Blaster. The official images will be released after a while if no new issues are reported.
Please tell me it’ll also included a 800x600p line 2x optimized mode. That would be killer.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

marqs wrote:
Fudoh wrote:That's neat! Thanks once again for the updates! The OSD will mirror the front display 1:1 ?
Currently yes, but the implementation allows a larger array so it should be possible to fit in complete menu at the expense of some extra SW code. The current font ROM is also basic IBM VGA font - I'm trying to find a 8x8 ASCII+Katakana ROM file (looks something like this) which would work for the translated images.
Great advancement here, thanks!
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

H6rdc0re wrote:
marqs wrote:The next firmware version is getting ready for release, and it will include OSD and FPGA timing improvements. I created a pre-release JTAG-programmable version (link) for users with USB Blaster. The official images will be released after a while if no new issues are reported.
Please tell me it’ll also included a 800x600p line 2x optimized mode. That would be killer.
that would be pretty cool actually

if we're just throwing out random feature requests, I'd still like to request the AV1 RGB + AV3 Syncs functionality be expanded to allow AV2 RGB + AV3 Syncs
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Oh what!? OSD? Nice!
i remember a post somewhere saying the OSD wasn't possible because you needed a frame buffer or something like that.

This is for any version of the OSSC, right?
Thanks again for the effort.
Uzumaki

Post by Uzumaki »

When shopping for a new TV and OSSC Compatibility, does it matter if it will accept 1080p @ 60 Hz @ 4:4:4 ? Is that what the OSSC outputs or just samples?
For example the new TCL 6 series here under Supported Resolutions does not support 4:4:4 : https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6 ... rison_2485
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Uzumaki wrote:When shopping for a new TV and OSSC Compatibility, does it matter if it will accept 1080p @ 60 Hz @ 4:4:4 ? Is that what the OSSC outputs or just samples?
For example the new TCL 6 series here under Supported Resolutions does not support 4:4:4 : https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6 ... rison_2485
They way I understood that is not that the TV rejects the 4:4:4 signal, but instead subsamples the chroma.

That is what the OSSC outputs, and I certainly would not buy a TV that doesn't display it with a full 4:4:4 processing path, but it would still "work"
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Do those TCL 6 series support 960p and Line x5? If so, the 4:2:2 processing shouldn't matter much with retro games.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Iggy_poop

Post by Iggy_poop »

Would it be possible to add a feature to the OSSC a future firmware update that outputs 480p linex2 in a 1080p signal? This would be amazing for tvs like Samsungs that disable local dimming in 960p.
unmaker

Post by unmaker »

For those that are curious about the OSD and aren't able to upgrade their firmware yet I've taken a quick capture here:

https://streamable.com/8n2sr
RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

That OSD is really nice. Great work.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I'm totally psyched about the OSD! I only sit maybe ~9 feet away from my 65" TV, but it's still a bit difficult to see that little lit-up screen of the OSSC - this will take care of that problem.

I'm going to look into an IR extender too (anybody have any tips? I'm assuming they have to be powered but just don't know), so I can keep the OSSC out of sight as well now. With how the devices plug into the OSSC, there's simply NO way to have it look nice in an open-air type entertainment center - wires hanging off it from multiple sides and weird angles kinda kill the presentation so I always wanted to be able to hide it, and now I might be able to.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Dochartaigh wrote:I'm totally psyched about the OSD! I only sit maybe ~9 feet away from my 65" TV, but it's still a bit difficult to see that little lit-up screen of the OSSC - this will take care of that problem.

I'm going to look into an IR extender too (anybody have any tips? I'm assuming they have to be powered but just don't know), so I can keep the OSSC out of sight as well now. With how the devices plug into the OSSC, there's simply NO way to have it look nice in an open-air type entertainment center - wires hanging off it from multiple sides and weird angles kinda kill the presentation so I always wanted to be able to hide it, and now I might be able to.
The BAFX IR repeater kits on amazon are always solid
DatMonkey

Post by DatMonkey »

Are there any plans to bring scaling filters into the official firmware of the OSSC? I am referring to these: https://www.videogameperfection.com/201 ... s-feature/

Normally I hate these kinds of filters but for 3D games in 480p 2x they do look good on certain games. It just makes the OSSC destroy the mcable :D
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Quick question, can i upgrade directly to the latest firmware, from any previous firmware?
Or do i have to do any incremental step?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

DatMonkey wrote:Are there any plans to bring scaling filters into the official firmware of the OSSC? I am referring to these: https://www.videogameperfection.com/201 ... s-feature/

Normally I hate these kinds of filters but for 3D games in 480p 2x they do look good on certain games. It just makes the OSSC destroy the mcable :D
Well...

- Not everyone likes the same type of scaling / smoothing.
- Not everyone has seen all possibilities so a popular 'vote' could privilege awful filters (many ppl still only know about ancient crap like Eagle, HQx, or even bilinear, because they haven't seen nor used better even after 20yrs of emulation)
- Smoothing filters that go along well with display's scaling interpolation aren't legion.
- Who besides marqs and maybe a couple contributors have any clues of the possibilities?

Personally I'd love fine custom X & Y separate directional blur, combinable with scanlines, but I'm gonna guess it is a crazy pipe dream. :mrgreen:
Several would probably like something like the RetroTink2X's, which I find too strong.
Fudoh would maybe like smthng like the 'pixellate' shader, not blur.
etc...
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"