FALCOM Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Squire Grooktook

Re: FALCOM Thread

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I would say Seven at least (and MoC, since according to Durandal it's almost identical to 7) is a very, very different beast from 8.

Seven is basically just Felghana/Origin if you took out everything that made those games fun. It's got the same overall game structure as those titles: an almost entirely linear procession of simple combat/terrain gauntlets punctuated by returning to town for some story and shopping. They're all really more like tight action games pretending to be rpg's than anything. The problem was that Seven ends up being a boring version of Felghana/Origin due to losing jumping and flash guarding simplifying everything, in addition to a number of little minor nitpicks throughout. It's a decent game if you don't mind something mindless, but otherwise I don't recommend playing it even once tbh.

8 on the other hand is structurally more akin to a legend of zelda or metroid or a 16-bit jrpg. It's still technically linear in the sense that you go from point A to point B to advance the story, but there's more emphasis on discovering the way to Point B, the world is bigger and more interconnected with more nooks and crannies to explore along the way, you have much more side stuff and content to discover on the side, and you're frequently re-exploring old areas to find new paths or just new stuff etc. I honestly think the world design in 8 is straight up fantastic, it really channels that oldschool "big and open enough to be interesting, small and tight enough to avoid being boring and aimless" feel of classic 16 bit rpg's and adventure games. So if you think of it as a fast paced answer to classic zelda/metroid/jrpg's, I think it works extremely well (in spite of the repetitive boss fights).
Last edited by Squire Grooktook on Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

I didn't mean they were identical for gameplay. Definitely some differences. I was just saying neither blew me away like some of the previous games did.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

HELLEPHANT wrote:Big fan of the older games (especially Oath and Origin)

Steamflogger Boss

We are now elderly at this point Sumez.
KAI

Post by KAI »

This must be the Falcomest day ever:

New trails game announced
https://gematsu.com/2019/12/the-legend- ... ed-for-ps4
and the main visual confirms (?) that Nayuta Endless Trails is canon to the main kiseki universe

Zero and Ao no kiseki are getting rereleases on ps4

there's a new game teased on the portal site of the series
https://www2.falcom.co.jp/kiseki/

The pc port of Cold Steel 3 was leaked by NISA and apparently will be announced at PAX 2020

Perfect timming since I'm halfway through Cold Steel 2 right now and I'm starving for more Kiseki.
Last edited by KAI on Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

Hopefully we will get Trails of Cold Steel IV, Ys IX soon and also announcements for western releases of Ao and Zero on PS4.
Just finished Cold Steel III 2 days ago at 71 hours playtime, as massive game.
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo
Mero

Post by Mero »

^^ I broke 100 hours yesterday and I just started the 4th chapter :o
Squire Grooktook

Great news, very interested in the Ao series.

Will take me a while to get back into the series, since I want to finish some TRPG campaigns first. But looking forward to it.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Steamflogger Boss

Mero wrote:^^ I broke 100 hours yesterday and I just started the 4th chapter :o
Yiiiiikes.

I need to get caught up on Cold Steel but the length kinda puts me off it. Did enjoy the first one though.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Fxxxing finally!!

Durante fixed Ys Dana
https://www.siliconera.com/ys-8-multipl ... nts-added/

And NISA announced Cold Steel 3 for Steam and GoG
https://www.siliconera.com/classes-begi ... h-23-2020/
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

I was thinking of giving VIII another spin anyway! Too bad I'll have to wait seven months for the patch to hit GOG.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Just DL'ed the newly patched version tonight. This patch is legit, the game does look significantly better with the improved shading:

My waifu Laxia's hot pants benefit significantly from the new HBAO post processing.

No crashes or obvious bugs so far, but I'm only just past the first boss.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Picked up Ys VIII PC because of the patch & finished a inferno playthrough today. Game looks really nice and runs smooth. Didn't encounter any kind of bugs. Some typos in the journal but that's about it.

Really great game, though I wish the later bosses were less of a flash guard fest (long active attacks just allow the player to mash it). Seems like you get less XP on the higher difficulties.. I ended up grinding a bit for the very last boss because of.. things. But most of the time being underleveled by ~5-10 levels on endgame was totally playable. Gameplay (and maybe story-telling?) wise I think I enjoyed Dana's sections the most.

A friend recommended going with inferno since it speeds up enemy attack animations & that did seem like the right call. Both more engaging experience and the fights go faster since you spend less time waiting between counterattacks. For what squire says about rebalancing combat.. I think evading has less cancel windows than guard so you could take that difference further. Evade is already better than guard in many situations especially if bosses have short openings. Some late-game equipment have crit modifiers making flash guard a little less important too.

I played through Zero and Ao translation patches some years back. But Trails SC still the overall favorite for me probably because of the character dialogue / story. Ao takes the mechanics further (better combat, convenience features) and has a lot going on but the world didn't grip me as much. Can't go wrong with zero & ao though, it might have just been the order in which I played the games.
Squire Grooktook

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
bottino

Post by bottino »

And what a fantastic surprise it is! Can't believe they managed to make that game even better.

That soundtrack is top-tier Falcom stuff, one can never have too much of it.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like GOG has the Oath update as well.
Squire Grooktook

Completed an Inferno Mode playthrough of Felghana a few weeks ago. Overall loved it. I still think YS Origin is a slightly better and more consistent game with better bosses at the cost of never having a "high" quite as exhilarating as Valestein Castle.

I wrote up a "rating scale" of each area and boss at the time, if interested:
Spoiler
Mines 1 = 7/10 <- solid intro stage
Dularn 1 = 6/10 <- his homing knives are kinda not fun to dodge without a speed boost or double jump, but otherwise fine
Mines 1 Boss = 7/10 = fight's a little simple, but charmingly so.
Ruins = 9/10 = great enemy variety and music
Chester 1 = 6/10 = fun boss but taken down massively on nightmare/inferno due to second phase becoming luckshit
Lava Cave = 6/10 = Most of the enemies here are kinda boring
Lava Worm = 7/10 = takes a little bit of time and can be frustrating to figure out his tells, but otherwise a fun fight
Fire Wyvern = 0/10 = worst boss in the game
Mines 2 = 8/10 = Very fun, intense dungeon crawl. Lots of platforming and solid enemy variety
Mines 2 Boss (Crystal thingy) = 7/10 = has some fun danmaku-esque patterns, though I find punishing the tentacle on the first phase with the slippery blood is annoying and not fun.
Icy Mountain = 6/10 = It's not bad but I find the enemies here a liiiiiil boring and the place feels like a slog situated as it is between Mines 2 and Valestein Castle
Harpies = 8/10 = Cool boss. Not too much memorizer bullshit and a lot of tough but fun to dodge patterns and variety
Icy Caves = 6/10 = Same as mountains. Just kinda eh imo. Also worst visuals in the game, it's just a big sloppy mess of bluish-white.
Ice Dragon = 5/10 = almost fun but too much of a memorizer hate fuck and too much finnickiness in dealing with him. Always glad to get past this guy.
Valestein Castle = 10/10 = BEST STAGE EVER. Platforming! Incredibly fun enemies! It's got it all.
Death Falcon = 7/10 = Cool boss tho his ultimate charge attack is really cheap and will always hit you if he does it when you're in a bad spot. Take some points off for that
Wolf = 7/10 = not nearly as hard as death falcon, though the sidescrolling format for the fight is a little boring, and it's mostly just a fight of attrition and punishing him in the corner. Innofensive.
Clockwork Knight = 8/10 = Hated this guy on first playthrough but had a much easier time with him this time. Pretty fun to run around him dodging his shit, and aside from the uber fast random laser, not too much bullshit
Chester 2 = 9/10. Incredible danmaku battle in the second phase. Absolute balls to the walls. Subtracting 1 point for a few minor annoyances
Dularn 2 = 7/10 = Much more fun to dodge her normal stuff with the double jump and speed boost, but the lasers on last phase have a bit too much depth perception wonkiness for my tastes.
Final Dungeon = 8/10 = Enjoyable last dungeon. Lots of platforming, but the enemies are overal less fun to fight than the ones in Valestein Castle (should have put in the giant lizards and skeleton knights earlier, you spend too long fighting fucking bats and jumpy bugs in the first half of the dungeon)
Galbalan = 9/10 = To giant monsters what Chester 2 is to single duels. Absolutely crazy platforming hell and the scope and creativity of the fight is insane. Loses a point for some depth perception issues on his purple bullets attack
It cannot be understated how garbage the Fire Wyvern fight is on Inferno (rng can make him flip every platform thus making it literally impossible to dodge), or how fantastic Valestein Castle is with its wicked platforming and killer, creative enemies that are all ludicrously fun to fight.

Still, one of the best games ever made.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
HELLEPHANT

Post by HELLEPHANT »

Squire Grooktook wrote: It cannot be understated how garbage the Fire Wyvern fight is on Inferno (rng can make him flip every platform thus making it literally impossible to dodge), o

Nah, it's possible, albiet very difficult (what did we expect, it's called "Nightmare" XD)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWPpddBo-xY

There's a way to dodge the fire wave attack too but I don't have a video for that :twisted:
bottino

Post by bottino »

Squire Grooktook wrote:Image

Completed an Inferno Mode playthrough of Felghana a few weeks ago. Overall loved it. I still think YS Origin is a slightly better and more consistent game with better bosses at the cost of never having a "high" quite as exhilarating as Valestein Castle.

I wrote up a "rating scale" of each area and boss at the time, if interested:
Spoiler
Mines 1 = 7/10 <- solid intro stage
Dularn 1 = 6/10 <- his homing knives are kinda not fun to dodge without a speed boost or double jump, but otherwise fine
Mines 1 Boss = 7/10 = fight's a little simple, but charmingly so.
Ruins = 9/10 = great enemy variety and music
Chester 1 = 6/10 = fun boss but taken down massively on nightmare/inferno due to second phase becoming luckshit
Lava Worm = 7/10 = takes a little bit of time and can be frustrating to figure out his tells, but otherwise a fun fight
Fire Wyvern = 0/10 = worst boss in the game
Mines 2 = 8/10 = Very fun, intense dungeon crawl. Lots of platforming and solid enemy variety
Mines 2 Boss (Crystal thingy) = 7/10 = has some fun danmaku-esque patterns, though I find punishing the tentacle on the first phase with the slippery blood is annoying and not fun.
Icy Mountain = 6/10 = It's not bad but I find the enemies here a liiiiiil boring and the place feels like a slog situated as it is between Mines 2 and Valestein Castle
Harpies = 8/10 = Cool boss. Not too much memorizer bullshit and a lot of tough but fun to dodge patterns and variety
Icy Caves = 6/10 = Same as mountains. Just kinda eh imo. Also worst visuals in the game, it's just a big sloppy mess of bluish-white.
Ice Dragon = 5/10 = almost fun but too much of a memorizer hate fuck and too much finnickiness in dealing with him. Always glad to get past this guy.
Valestein Castle = 10/10 = BEST STAGE EVER. Platforming! Incredibly fun enemies! It's got it all.
Death Falcon = 7/10 = Cool boss tho his ultimate charge attack is really cheap and will always hit you if he does it when you're in a bad spot. Take some points off for that
Wolf = 7/10 = not nearly as hard as death falcon, though the sidescrolling format for the fight is a little boring, and it's mostly just a fight of attrition and punishing him in the corner. Innofensive.
Clockwork Knight = 8/10 = Hated this guy on first playthrough but had a much easier time with him this time. Pretty fun to run around him dodging his shit, and aside from the uber fast random laser, not too much bullshit
Chester 2 = 9/10. Incredible danmaku battle in the second phase. Absolute balls to the walls. Subtracting 1 point for a few minor annoyances
Dularn 2 = 7/10 = Much more fun to dodge her normal stuff with the double jump and speed boost, but the lasers on last phase have a bit too much depth perception wonkiness for my tastes.
Final Dungeon = 8/10 = Enjoyable last dungeon. Lots of platforming, but the enemies are overal less fun to fight than the ones in Valestein Castle (should have put in the giant lizards and skeleton knights earlier, you spend too long fighting fucking bats and jumpy bugs in the first half of the dungeon)
Galbalan = 9/10 = To giant monsters what Chester 2 is to single duels. Absolutely crazy platforming hell and the scope and creativity of the fight is insane. Loses a point for some depth perception issues on his purple bullets attack
It cannot be understated how garbage the Fire Wyvern fight is on Inferno (rng can make him flip every platform thus making it literally impossible to dodge), or how fantastic Valestein Castle is with its wicked platforming and killer, creative enemies that are all ludicrously fun to fight.

Still, one of the best games ever made.
Good one, Squire. But what about Garland? You forgot about the poor evil wizard.

How's the damage scale and enemies/bosses HP when compared to Nightmare mode?
Fire Wyvern and his platforms are top-tier bullshit, but this guy is my 2nd least favorite boss fight. There's simply too much going on at the same time in that fight, with his attacks and projectiles having some really weird hitboxes - not to mention that giant laser, which is just insane.
This area is one of my favorites tbh. It's when the game ramps up the challenge and the journey becomes more dangerous, with you having to survive after being dropped into the volcano and having so little resources at that stage; the superb A Searing Struggle perfectly captures that feeling.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Garland the evil wizard? He was bad
Last edited by BrianC on Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Squire Grooktook

HELLEPHANT wrote:
Squire Grooktook wrote: It cannot be understated how garbage the Fire Wyvern fight is on Inferno (rng can make him flip every platform thus making it literally impossible to dodge), o

Nah, it's possible, albiet very difficult (what did we expect, it's called "Nightmare" XD)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWPpddBo-xY

There's a way to dodge the fire wave attack too but I don't have a video for that :twisted:
Nice, will have to remember if I replay.
bottino wrote: Good one, Squire. But what about Garland? You forgot about the poor evil wizard.

How's the damage scale and enemies/bosses HP when compared to Nightmare mode?
Ah ha, woops! I'd give Garland a nice...7/10. Maybe an 8. Feels like a breather situated between Chester and Galaban, but a fun fight. Fairly straight forward fight once you figure out how to consistently get past his vacuum into instant death combo thing. Lot of movement as is proper for a YS fight.

As for damage scaling / leveling, it's about the same across difficulties. The general flow of both games is "kill everything from point a to point b, then maybe farm for like 1-2 levels before the boss, and it'll be fair and not too long". I don't think hard/nightmare actually changes stats too much, mostly just adds new moves and tightens up the existing ones to be a lot more unforgiving.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

GOG has a free demo for ED8 part 3 (ie. Trails of Cold Steel)

edit:
so it's close to the end of the month and I had enough GBs left in my data cap to download this. While it's one of the rare things that I have to boot up 64-bit windows for, I am impressed that it actually works on my computer. Rocking an '08 motherboard with 3.6GHz Athlon II X2 and a 1GB GTX 650Ti, everything looks fine. Plus the developers have discovered Opus so there is no massive pile of uncompressed WAV files like part 1 had.

Controls are still a disaster though. Just because some Xbox shit exists that has 10 sticks and 20 triggers does NOT mean that a JRPG needs to use all of that! I don't have an Xbox controller and never wanted one. It's amazing that they put in all these detailed tutorials about basic gameplay stuff, meanwhile trying to figure out the controls is a whole separate research project. And it looks like you can't disable the gamepad and use joy2key to get around it. Reassigning buttons on the gamepad also screws up the keyboard assignments.

Plot/dialog stuff is just as corny as part 1, geez...
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Recently had one of my best mates try Oath in Felghana.
After beating the second boss on normal a week went by and I asked if he was gonna play it again.

"no. the game is trash, i don't enjoy it at all."
:|

This is someone who somewhat enjoys action in games, Doom series, Dark Souls..
But other than that, I'm no longer convinced he enjoys video games.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
CIT

Post by CIT »

Time to end the friendship.
Steamflogger Boss

Do they claim to like video games though? It always slays me when people claim to like something, but then maybe like 5 examples of said thing.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

More of a PC gamer.
Gaming is most of his life. kinda like me :mrgreen:
bottino

Post by bottino »

Well, we all know that one must play Oath/Origin on Nightmare mode to get the most of it :wink:

And speaking of them, had the chance and pleasure to revisit these games, finally beating Oath on Inferno and Origin on Nightmare mode. While both are the apex of the Ys series to me, overall Origin is definitely the better and most polished game (Toal mode is especially exhilarating; Yunica is great as well - a slower, hard hitting Adol. Hugo is okay, a long-range character like him doesn't suit this type of game very well), it highs doesn't reach the same heights of Valestein Castle (stage), Chester 2 (duel) and Galbalan (last boss) in Oath in Felghana.

Two of my favourite games, that, along with the Trails in the Sky trilogy (another all time favourite of mine) represents the crème de la crème of Falcom design.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Haha you know, I've been playing Felghana on Inferno actually, ever since Squire inspired me to do so. He's also been offering much needed discord support in the form of emojis :lol:

Ice Dragon a fuck.
The lava wyvern I had to actually learn for the first time since I started playing the game.
And now I've just beaten the wolf in Valstein, about to head underground and I desperately need that new sword.

Edit: Holy shit Bottino you were right.

I just went from facing Chester 2, thinking "jesus this is impossible I'll have to grind tons of levels"
to grinding one level.
to getting better vs Chester,
to thinking "I get it.."
to winning.. holy hell that was amazing.
bottino

Post by bottino »

Congrats man. The way he confuses you and keeps you on your toes with a high-speed mixed barrage of close-ranged and danmaku-esque projectiles makes it for a very special battle. And yeah, I had a similar experience, one level can make a world of difference in this game.

The last stage can't compare to the awesomeness that is Valestein Castle, but the bosses there are top-tier, especially Galbalan.

BTW Blinge, do you know about the Fireball trick (you do a downthrust attack, pressing the attack and magic buttons at the same time)? It will do a ton of damage to enemies and bosses that are weak to fire, the best example of this being Zirdugos, the tank in Valestein castle, which can succumb in less than a minute if you pull it off correctly.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

one level makes an insane amount of difference in felghana. it was the main thing i didn't like about the game. you can be struggling for ages on a fight, go away and level up once, suddenly the fight is five times easier.