NEC XM/XP 29/37 Pro/Xtra Thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Archangel2878

Re: NEC XM/XP 29/37 Pro/Xtra Thread

Post by Archangel2878 »

Needing help Nec Pg2710 service manual ? I can’t find anywhere any help would be appreciated
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

I was taking some close-ups the other night and thought you guys might enjoy!

xga

Post by xga »

aaronmjr wrote:I was taking some close-ups the other night and thought you guys might enjoy!

Beautiful! :D
holaplaneta

Post by holaplaneta »

aaronmjr wrote:I was taking some close-ups the other night and thought you guys might enjoy!
Could you fix that NEC XM37 Xtra?

I want to know how the story ended and how you repaired it.
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

holaplaneta wrote:
Could you fix that NEC XM37 Xtra?

I want to know how the story ended and how you repaired it.
Sorry to say it's been on the back-burner. I have too many hobbies for my own good and CRTs are just one of them. I also have nowhere to set it up, until I move later this year/early next. I found that crack in the neck board, and in order to get at it I'm going to end up using a cutting wheel to get a bunch of the screws off as they are on so tight that not even a wireless impact can jar them loose. After that, I've been told that repairing traces on broken PCBs is pretty straightforward for someone with board level repair skills. I have some local people and a friend who should be able to assist. I'm hoping that's all it takes to bring it back to life! As for when this all will happen? No idea. When the weather turns at the earliest I'd say.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Anyone happen to have the important bits out of the XM29 service manual?

Barring that, how about what a proper B+ reading should be?
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

So with the Pro/Xtra models standard component cables should work with what sync?
SimplyEric

Post by SimplyEric »

So can the XM29PLUS do 480p via component? For Wii, Gamecube and Xbox?
NightSprinter

Post by NightSprinter »

Not natively. You'll need an Eon GCHD-MK2 and a Wii SCART cable (and SCART to BNC adapter) to do so. I have an XM29 Plus, and while I got an image, the image was overtly green due to it being YPbPr colorspace (the monitor really needs genuine RGB).
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

NightSprinter wrote:Not natively. You'll need an Eon GCHD-MK2 and a Wii SCART cable (and SCART to BNC adapter) to do so. I have an XM29 Plus, and while I got an image, the image was overtly green due to it being YPbPr colorspace (the monitor really needs genuine RGB).
Is this on a 2960?
NightSprinter

Post by NightSprinter »

Cannonballs wrote:
NightSprinter wrote:Not natively. You'll need an Eon GCHD-MK2 and a Wii SCART cable (and SCART to BNC adapter) to do so. I have an XM29 Plus, and while I got an image, the image was overtly green due to it being YPbPr colorspace (the monitor really needs genuine RGB).
Is this on a 2960?
Yeah, I have am XM2960 I've owned since 2011. I hooked up my softmodded Wii via RCA to BNC adapters to my 2960, and the 480p output was heavily-green in tint.
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

NightSprinter wrote:
Cannonballs wrote:
Is this on a 2960?
Yeah, I have am XM2960 I've owned since 2011. I hooked up my softmodded Wii via RCA to BNC adapters to my 2960, and the 480p output was heavily-green in tint.
Have you tried any other 480p or 720p sources on the monitor? If so how did you you do that without the green tint?
NightSprinter

Post by NightSprinter »

Unfortunately, the only time using a component cable got me a non-green tint on the display was with my PS2. Only because in RGB mode, the console sends sync out through the green line for 480p and up. If the console only outputs YPbPr, you'll generally need a transcoder box for the RGB signal the monitor expects.
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

NightSprinter wrote:Unfortunately, the only time using a component cable got me a non-green tint on the display was with my PS2. Only because in RGB mode, the console sends sync out through the green line for 480p and up. If the console only outputs YPbPr, you'll generally need a transcoder box for the RGB signal the monitor expects.
Thank you. This makes sense and I don’t know if I’ve seen it explained like this before, easier to understand. What transcoder box would you recommend?
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

Are you talking about some type of Extron box?

Open question to other owners, have you found a Extron or other transcoder box that fixed your sync issues? If so what model number did the trick?
NightSprinter

Post by NightSprinter »

Cannonballs wrote:
NightSprinter wrote:Unfortunately, the only time using a component cable got me a non-green tint on the display was with my PS2. Only because in RGB mode, the console sends sync out through the green line for 480p and up. If the console only outputs YPbPr, you'll generally need a transcoder box for the RGB signal the monitor expects.
Thank you. This makes sense and I don’t know if I’ve seen it explained like this before, easier to understand. What transcoder box would you recommend?
For a new one, I heard Beharius' "Garo" worked well.
NightSprinter

Post by NightSprinter »

Cannonballs wrote:Are you talking about some type of Extron box?

Open question to other owners, have you found a Extron or other transcoder box that fixed your sync issues? If so what model number did the trick?
Though it was most stable with a sync-on-luma cable I had, my Extron RGB202 Plus worked amazingly in making the sync signal work with my XM2960, and keeping it stable.
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

NightSprinter wrote:

Though it was most stable with a sync-on-luma cable I had, my Extron RGB202 Plus worked amazingly in making the sync signal work with my XM2960, and keeping it stable.
Thank you I will look into getting one. What systems did you use with it?
NightSprinter

Post by NightSprinter »

Cannonballs wrote:
NightSprinter wrote:

Thank you I will look into getting one. What systems did you use with it?
Mainly, it was just the PS2 and PS1 that I used, since they were the only systems I own that do not have a dedicated CSync line.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Does anyone know if these monitors display 576p? I'm thinking of getting Swiss up and running on my Gamecube to see what GC games look like in 576p on my NEC XV29+.
NightSprinter

Post by NightSprinter »

andykara2003 wrote:Does anyone know if these monitors display 576p? I'm thinking of getting Swiss up and running on my Gamecube to see what GC games look like in 576p on my NEC XV29+.
Seems that via RGB, it would support that. You would need to find a way to output native 31KHz RGB from the console.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

lalilulelo

Post by lalilulelo »

I made a post a while ago about my XV29 Plus. Here it is: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65277

Here are some photos of it.

The XV29 Plus is similar to the XM29 Plus, though different in some ways.

So, I've been using the monitor and it was working well for a while, but now I've run into a pretty serious problem and I'm not sure what to do, or even what's causing the problem. It has this problem where sometimes, randomly, the screen gets darker and parts of the image become fuzzy and slightly blue-tinted. I've found that for some reason, jiggling around the front VGA connector or unplugging it and then plugging it back in solves the issue, but I don't know why that is. My initial assumption was that there's a problem with the connector itself or one of the connections on the inside part of the connector, but after lots and lots of testing I still can't really explain what causes this issue.

One thing I'm pretty sure about is that it isn't a problem with the tube itself, because when it happens, if I bring up the on-screen menu, the menu looks perfectly fine, even though the rest of the image is messed up. So the problem clearly has something to do with the inputs, but beyond that I'm not sure. What makes it confusing is that jiggling or removing the connector sometimes fixes the issue, and sometimes doing that when it's working properly will cause the issue, but sometimes the image is fine and I remove or jiggle the connector a lot and it makes no difference - the image is still fine. This makes me think that it could be something beyond the connector itself, but I don't know what that would be.

I think there's a board on the front bottom part of the monitor that has all of the front inputs and buttons, so it's possible there could be a problem with some part of that board.

All I can say is that the problem must be somewhere in between the front VGA input and the part of the circuit that handles the switching of inputs. The OSM apparently is unaffected, but all other inputs are affected. The problem occurs regardless of what input the monitor is on, or what system I'm using, or what resolution it's running at. It also happens even if nothing is plugged into the front VGA input. I don't know if the connector is the cause of the problem or if it just has an impact on the problem in some way.

Previously I was thinking that the connector was the problem, and that I or someone else would have to open up the monitor and fix whatever the problem is with the connector, a bad connection or something. But now, I don't know exactly what would need to be done once it was open. I also thought about trying to immobilize the connector, but now I'm fairly certain that wouldn't make a difference. Another idea I had was to try to blow out some of the dust inside with an air compressor. I really would rather not have to open the monitor, since I'm probably not capable of doing the work myself, and even trying to get someone else to do it would be kind of a pain. I'm willing to do that if I've exhausted all other options, but I'd like to avoid that.

That was really long and complicated, but does any of this make sense? Does this problem sound like something that might happen to an XM29? Is there something I'm not thinking of? I've tried lots of different things to deal with the issue, and nothing seems to make any difference. Any ideas?

A side note about the monitor: I got a remote for it. The remote has a different model number than the one referenced in the XV29 Plus manual, but it appears to be identical other than that - it has all of the same buttons, and it works perfectly. It looks like new, too. Having the remote is nice, because it makes accessing all of the controls way easier, and it also allows me to put the monitor in sleep mode. I'll probably program my Sony universal remote to use the functions of the NEC remote.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Does anyone know which is the focus pot on the XV29+ ?
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

lalilulelo wrote:The XV29 Plus is similar to the XM29 Plus, though different in some ways.

So, I've been using the monitor and it was working well for a while, but now I've run into a pretty serious problem and I'm not sure what to do, or even what's causing the problem.
Finding a pattern to the behavior would be really helpful. Does the issue only happen when the set is warm? Ultimately, opening the case and having a very close look at all of the components for burn marks, leaking capacitors, broken solder joints or other irregularities is going to be your best bet short of taking it to a repair shop.
lalilulelo

Post by lalilulelo »

aaronmjr wrote:Finding a pattern to the behavior would be really helpful. Does the issue only happen when the set is warm? Ultimately, opening the case and having a very close look at all of the components for burn marks, leaking capacitors, broken solder joints or other irregularities is going to be your best bet short of taking it to a repair shop.
I've tried pretty hard to find a pattern, and there doesn't seem to be one that I can discern. There are things that seem to make the problem more likely to happen, like putting it into standby mode. I also think that the problem may be more likely to happen when mostly dark images are being displayed, though I'm not sure about that.
aaronmjr wrote: Does the issue only happen when the set is warm?
No, I don't think so, because it sometimes happens even when the monitor has been powered off for a long time and I turn the monitor on and it immediately has the issue.

I have opened up the monitor and looked at it closely. I tried to remove as much of the dust as possible. I didn't seem any damaged components, but I did notice on the bottom of one of the monitor's boards (I think it's a board that handles image processing) there's some dark orangish marks that look like the plastic has melted slightly. That could be from overheating. It's possible that part of the circuit has been permanently damaged. I can't really determine anything else about that board myself, because it would require totally disassembling the monitor, which is beyond my abilities. It's also possible that the melted plastic doesn't indicate the cause of the problem, but rather is a side effect of that problem.

My most recent observation is that possibly the power cable/connector is the problem. The problem happened and I turned off the monitor, unplugged the cable, reinserted it, and almost immediately turned the monitor back on. Based on my previous testing of the monitor, it's looking more likely that the explanation for this is a problem with the connection between the cable and the connector. Does that seem plausible, and can you think of any way to solve that particular issue?
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

I've just bought a NEC XM37 monitor
Is there a way to enter service mode?
Thanks in advance
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

Where’d you get it and how much?
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

Hi, I'm in Spain
It's from a graphic designer, but it haven't been used a lot, so the image is perfect :)
I got it for 1100€ shipping costs included whithin Spain
I have the remote control, but it would be nice to know how to access service mode
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

Try pressing ‘proceed’ on the remote, that should get you to the menu. If that doesn’t work one of the dip switches on the back might need to be changed to enable the on screen display menu. Hope this help!