Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
maxtherabbit

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by maxtherabbit »

makar1 wrote:Don't Green and Luma share the same pinout connection for PS2? Hence why you can use PS2 component cables for RGsB with PVMs or the OSSC.
for luma in component video, yes
for luma in s-video, no

in any factory cable, the LM1881 is going to be wired to pull sync from pin 5 or 6 on the multiout, not pin 12 (since that would make it useless in all 15kHz modes)
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

maxtherabbit wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:Does it differ because the PS2 uses RGsB over SCART for 480p instead of RGBS?
Yes

the sync stripper isn't doing anything when the console is in RGsB mode, since it only strips sync from CVBS or Y, not Green
I always thought that Extron Crosspoints won't pass through ANY type of sync except CSYNC (this is from stock phat PS2's, no mods done to them fyi). It would be odd if it only had that limitation on the Sync line (which is usually setup using the Horizontal Sync line). ...and if that was the case couldn't people just bypassing that limitation by switching the sync line to one of the R/G/B lines (on both sides of course) then never have to worry about using sync strippers with a Crosspoint?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Dochartaigh wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:Does it differ because the PS2 uses RGsB over SCART for 480p instead of RGBS?
Yes

the sync stripper isn't doing anything when the console is in RGsB mode, since it only strips sync from CVBS or Y, not Green
I always thought that Extron Crosspoints won't pass through ANY type of sync except CSYNC (this is from stock phat PS2's, no mods done to them fyi). It would be odd if it only had that limitation on the Sync line (which is usually setup using the Horizontal Sync line). ...and if that was the case couldn't people just bypassing that limitation by switching the sync line to one of the R/G/B lines (on both sides of course) then never have to worry about using sync strippers with a Crosspoint?
I can't speak for what people do or don't do, but the crosspoint can handle SoG just fine, it's in the spec sheet. It cannot handle sync-on-video on the dedicated sync inputs.

But think about what you're suggesting, if people "switch the sync line to one of the R/G/B lines" what happens to the R/G/B signal that got replaced? That doesn't make any sense unless you want to base your entire setup around Sync on Green

The bottom line is: since you stated that your PS2 is not modded, when you switch to 480p on the PS2 it is outputting sync on green, bypassing your LM1881 and passing the SoG through the crosspoint without issue.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dochartaigh wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:
Yes

It would be messy, it would require two inputs per affected console, and you're going to have a hard time mixing affected consoles with unaffected consoles, but it should work fine.

CrossPoints can take pretty much everything except RF; so you could have, for example, RGB signals coming in on input 1 and composite video coming in on input 2 (on the R or G line), and then map input 1 to output 1 and input 2 to output 2, then you'd pull RGB from output 1 and sync from output 2; but that still doesn't really solve the underlying issue that Extron's CrossPoints and RGB interfaces don't accept anything besides clean composite sync.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Does a 120hz, 144hz or 240hz refresh rate make 60hz content look any smoother? Does it reduce display lag?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

GeneraLight wrote:Does a 120hz, 144hz or 240hz refresh rate make 60hz content look any smoother? Does it reduce display lag?
Should look smoother if you use "soap opera effect" interpolation, but that adds lag and artifacts. I wouldn't use it.

Even lagless frame rate multiplication will not decrease lag with a fixed 60Hz source. (Most frame rate conversion will add lag, though.) You can't see your input change the game state until: the game machine *actually* sends out a frame that reflects a game state change--and those frames are only happening 60 times a second in this situation.
We apologise for the inconvenience
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I have a Multisync CRT monitor (Mitsubishi Megaview).

It's a low line count display so tends to perform much better at lower resolutions but, when I play interlace content on it, specifically from a PS2, my eyes/brain/something does weird things... it's as if.. for a second or so I can see the scanlines, or more accurately, I can see blank lines between lines that are drawn, as with 240p, then I can't....then I can again..etc

It has been years since I owned a CRT so I genuinely can't remember, is this normal? Would a CRT television set be better for 480i?
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

BuckoA51 wrote:It has been years since I owned a CRT so I genuinely can't remember, is this normal? Would a CRT television set be better for 480i?
It's normal. It may look different on a TV set by mere virtue of it being less sharp. But interlace flicker was always a thing, which is why video gear and some consoles implemented deflickering tricks. On the other hand, I think we didn't sit too close to the TVs during the SD days as to notice it, and it was the norm so our brains were really used to it.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

BuckoA51 wrote:I have a Multisync CRT monitor (Mitsubishi Megaview).

It's a low line count display so tends to perform much better at lower resolutions but, when I play interlace content on it, specifically from a PS2, my eyes/brain/something does weird things... it's as if.. for a second or so I can see the scanlines, or more accurately, I can see blank lines between lines that are drawn, as with 240p, then I can't....then I can again..etc

It has been years since I owned a CRT so I genuinely can't remember, is this normal? Would a CRT television set be better for 480i?
I played some games on a pair of large Sanyo televisions here:
http://www.hyperspace80s.com/index.html

PS2 looked really amazing. Just like what I remember.

Their website is unfortunately not very descriptive and I know you aren't in the states, just adding it for those that are nearby.

Anyhow, the flicker wasn't anything like what I see on my Trinitrons or my little PVM. They weren't as sharp with 240p, but they were huge tvs. I wanted to take one home.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

fernan1234 wrote:
BuckoA51 wrote:It has been years since I owned a CRT so I genuinely can't remember, is this normal? Would a CRT television set be better for 480i?
It's normal. It may look different on a TV set by mere virtue of it being less sharp. But interlace flicker was always a thing, which is why video gear and some consoles implemented deflickering tricks. On the other hand, I think we didn't sit too close to the TVs during the SD days as to notice it, and it was the norm so our brains were really used to it.
Might also be a quicker phosphor decay vs. consumer sets, which would make flicker more apparent.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Can i get an Arcade streaming setup going with an emulation PC outputting through a VGA splitter?

My current setup is:
PC Running Groovymame -> VGA Cable -> Connected to New Net City Cab Displaying 15Khz

Can i do something like this?
PC Running Groovymame ->
VGA Splitter -> Connected to New Net City Cab Displaying 15Khz
VGA Splitter -> Connected to OSSC -> HDMI Cable ->Connected to Epiphan DVI2USB -> To Streaming PC

Will the splitter degrade the image?
If it does, should i go for a specific splitter? Any recommendations?
On groovymame, i'm using the super resolutions option, will the OSSC grab this?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Mantrox wrote:Can i get an Arcade streaming setup going with an emulation PC outputting through a VGA splitter?

My current setup is:
PC Running Groovymame -> VGA Cable -> Connected to New Net City Cab Displaying 15Khz

PC Running Groovymame ->
VGA Splitter -> Connected to OSSC -> HDMI Cable ->Connected to Epiphan DVI2USB -> To Streaming PC

You sure can. I think most will recommend an Extron Crosspoint, but you should be able to find an Extron VGA matrix switcher which will accomplish the same task with DE-15 ports instead of BNC (negating the need for BNC cables/adapters) and with a far smaller footprint. Just hook up your source to, for example, input 1, and then map input 1 to outputs 1 and 2.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

But interlace flicker was always a thing
I remember interlace flicker from using the Amiga Workbench in 480i. You never did that for long, that's for sure... this is definitely different.. like I say I seem to see the image as if it was 240p with blank scanlines for an instant, then not, then I see them again..etc.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

like I say I seem to see the image as if it was 240p with blank scanlines for an instant, then not, then I see them again..etc.
should be linked to your eye movement.
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

nmalinoski wrote:
Mantrox wrote:Can i get an Arcade streaming setup going with an emulation PC outputting through a VGA splitter?

My current setup is:

PC Running Groovymame ->

You sure can. I think most will recommend an Extron Crosspoint, but you should be able to find an Extron VGA matrix switcher which will accomplish the same task with DE-15 ports instead of BNC (negating the need for BNC cables/adapters) and with a far smaller footprint. Just hook up your source to, for example, input 1, and then map input 1 to outputs 1 and 2.
Can't i achieve the same with a simple, cheaper vga splitter?

Edit: Nevermind that, found a pretty cheap extron splitter, perfect for this purpose.
For anyone wondering it's the Extron p/2 da2 plus, cost me 20 bucks.
Last edited by Mantrox on Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

Is the Noctua fan mod worth it for a stock Dreamcast (as in, one with a GD-ROM drive and not a GDEMU)?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

GojiFan90 wrote:Is the Noctua fan mod worth it for a stock Dreamcast (as in, one with a GD-ROM drive and not a GDEMU)?
it still cuts the noise by at least 1/3 to 1/2, the fan is just about as loud as the disc drive when the drive is not seeking
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Mantrox wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:

My current setup is:

PC Running Groovymame ->

Can't i achieve the same with a simple, cheaper vga splitter?

Edit: Nevermind that, found a pretty cheap extron splitter, perfect for this purpose.
For anyone wondering it's the Extron p/2 da2 plus, cost me 20 bucks.
Kramer distribution amplifiers are generally newer, more compact, fairly inexpensive, more effective, readily available, and dependable. The fairly new "Kramer Tools" units are a better buy than that ancient Extron unit in the photo.
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

orange808 wrote:more effective, readily available, and dependable
I couldn't find any kramer models at the same price as this one (i'm in Portugal).
I only really care that it works for the purpose i want it for, and that's about it. I very much doubt there is a huge quality/reliability disparity between Kramer and Extron, as they are both professional grade equipment companies that have been around for ages.

But if you have plenty of newer Kramer stuff around your area, hey, why not.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Mantrox wrote:
I couldn't find any kramer models at the same price as this one (i'm in Portugal).
I only really care that it works for the purpose i want it for, and that's about it. I very much doubt there is a huge quality/reliability disparity between Kramer and Extron, as they are both professional grade equipment companies that have been around for ages.

It's not the brand name, it's the age of the unit. The little Kramer Tools units are newer machines. They also use less power and run cooler; due to a newer design.
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

orange808 wrote:
Mantrox wrote:

It's not the brand name, it's the age of the unit. The little Kramer Tools units are newer machines. They also use less power and run cooler; due to a newer design.
Oh i see. Yeah it would be cool to have, i just don't have anywhere to buy it for cheap. The only units on ebay were 40€+
I'll report back if i have any problems with this unit though.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I don't suppose anyone knows where to pick up a Brook PS3/4 to 360 adapter these days? I want one for one of my sticks, but although I can find pretty much every other permutation of their adapters, the PS3>360 kind seems to have completely disappeared. Thanks!

(If there are other reliable adapters that could perform the same function, I'd love to hear about them!)
jd213

Post by jd213 »

I use the Cronus Max Plus, it works great but it was a bit expensive and a PITA to configure for 360 (PS3 to PS4 was pretty much plug and play), plus you need a USB hub with an actual 360 controller attached in order to fool the 360 security.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Ah thanks, I'll keep that in mind! It does sound expensive and fiddly, but it's a solution. Maybe I need to go beyond replacing buttons and levers, and mod the stick with a universal PCB...
goldendark007

Post by goldendark007 »

So I posted a thread with this question and it's gotten 29 views but no responses - thought maybe I should be posting it in here instead. If anyone can help, replying to either is fine by me - I hope I didn't waste a thread with the question!

Hey all..

I have a Toshiba TIMM MM20E45 that was gifted to me by a friend and I wanted to use it since it supports so many formats. The problem is.. the vertical deflection is shot. Very rarely, I can get the monitor to display an image before collapsing into a single horizontal line. I looked up the service manual here: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/71277 ... =45#manual and found the section on the vertical deflection circuit. I checked the area on the chassis but did not see any bulging capacitors or anything, so after watching a few YouTube videos I saw a method of restoring the image by replacing the vertical deflection IC. After looking in the service manual, I saw this diagram:

I assumed it was IC301 that needed to be replaced (the TA8427K). I replaced it and I still have the same problem. I am just now rereading this manual and wondering if the other chip, IC302 (TA8859AP), was what really needed to be replaced. According to the manual it is the vertical deflection sawtooth wave generator and amplifier. Before I delve any deeper into this, I wanted to reach out and see if anyone had any helping advice. I can take a picture of the area of the PCB where these chips are located when I get a chance.

Thanks
maxtherabbit wrote:Imagine toggle switch OSD modding a TV in 2019
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

goldendark007 wrote:
I have a Toshiba TIMM MM20E45 that was gifted to me by a friend and I wanted to use it since it supports so many formats. The problem is.. the vertical deflection is shot. Very rarely, I can get the monitor to display an image before collapsing into a single horizontal line.
Check for cold solder joints and blown caps for sure. check this out as well. https://www.arcaderepairtips.com/2011/0 ... se-issues/
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Does anyone know who manufactured the CRTs for Apple's final Studio Displays?
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

vol.2 wrote:Does anyone know who manufactured the CRTs for Apple's final Studio Displays?
The clear ADC 17" one is Mitsubishi Diamondtron I believe. That was the last CRT model they ever made (which you can't use unless you have a Mac of that era with ADC).
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Dochartaigh wrote:
vol.2 wrote:Does anyone know who manufactured the CRTs for Apple's final Studio Displays?
The clear ADC 17" one is Mitsubishi Diamondtron I believe. That was the last CRT model they ever made (which you can't use unless you have a Mac of that era with ADC).
Thanks! Yeah, I remember how annoying that was. We had one of the 32" IPS cinema displays at work in like 2002 or whenever they came out and I remember being annoyed that I couldn't buy one for myself unless I wanted to get a mac.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

vol.2 wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:
Thanks! Yeah, I remember how annoying that was. We had one of the 32" IPS cinema displays at work in like 2002 or whenever they came out and I remember being annoyed that I couldn't buy one for myself unless I wanted to get a mac.
These are worse believe it or not. When a monitor has thunderbolt or whatever mac connector there's usually always an adapter for them (even if it takes some time for them to come out). That clear apple monitor has NO adapter ever made for it, and they discontinued the computer with that ADC video card like the next ~year or whatnot, so you literally had a super expensive 'premium' Apple monitor that you could only ever use on older hardware - that's beyond stupid and screwed over a lot of people.