Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Steamflogger Boss

Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

kitten wrote:
cj iwakura wrote:I had no idea he wrote Devil Lady, that piques my interest.
it's great. one of his better works, imho. production budget is fairly low but he does a good job with it. a friend of mine has been watching a lot of his live action stuff like the ultraman series he worked on and she says it's pretty good, too. i'd love to watch alice6, which he did with his brother and considers one of his better works, but it's very hard to find.

It sucks when that happens. To-y is another one that is great but tough to find.
it290

Post by it290 »

My Mega Drive Mini just came in and I'm having the hardest time deciding whether I want to play small, medium, or large!

We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Steamflogger Boss

Sealed and open for everything in there twice. Also got open copies of Xenosaga that went straight on my shelf and are not pictured. Everything but the open DQ games are available.

The DS consoles are NEW/SEALED.

But best of all and certainly not available

Last edited by Steamflogger Boss on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kitten

Post by kitten »

why the lites? you know, i think i've always preferred the original DS (despite its kind of cheap, plasticy feel to the shell) to every other DS/3DS incarnation because it's more comfortable to hold and the ancillary buttons (like power button, L/R, and the volume slider) are so easy to access. also its dpad is actually good and the lite's is some sort of unforgivable tragedy. i mostly play on a new 3ds xl these days because of the Huge Screen and eye-searing brightness levels, but god damn the d-pad is still not great and it's positioned in such a way that hurts my hand and makes my index finger straaaaain to reach alllllll the way up to that dang L button. it hurts ; __ ;

(also dang you've been getting a lot lately! might wanna slow down to play it all :shock: )
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Steamflogger Boss

Most of this is being sold. I mentioned it in post but it would be pretty easy to miss. I like the dsi personally. The LD, open DQ and unpictured open Xenosaga games are keepers.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Get rid of Lunar DS before it's too late.
(Says the guy who owns a copy with the preorder receipt calling it 'Lunar Genesis'.)
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
CIT

Post by CIT »

Stocked up on some Switch games.
I love the console's lineup and since I'm travelling for business almost every week, it's the perfect system for me. :)

BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh nice, I didn't know Cave Story and La-Mulana got Switch releases. Still catching up on the last half-decade or so, haha. I like the Arumana no Kiseki-esque sleeve art on the latter!
Steamflogger Boss

:D
Last edited by Steamflogger Boss on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CIT

Post by CIT »

BIL wrote:Oh nice, I didn't know Cave Story and La-Mulana got Switch releases. Still catching up on the last half-decade or so, haha. I like the Arumana no Kiseki-esque sleeve art on the latter!
Actually, it's La Mulana 2. The first isn't out on Switch, as far as I'm aware, although it did get a PSV physical release with a similarly Arumana No Kiseki styled cover. :)

By the way, I have a question you can probably answer: The Kunio Collection features ports of US NES Double Dragon I-III as an added bonus. Any differences between these and the Japanese Famicom releases?

@Steamflogger Boss

Nice gets! But you really gotta reduce the size on these images man. ;)
BIL

Post by BIL »

CIT wrote:Actually, it's La Mulana 2. The first isn't out on Switch, as far as I'm aware, although it did get a PSV physical release with a similarly Arumana No Kiseki styled cover. :)
Oh blimey, yeah, totally missed the numeral! :o Good to know about the PSV one, thanks!
By the way, I have a question you can probably answer: The Kunio Collection features ports of US NES Double Dragon I-III as an added bonus. Any differences between these and the Japanese Famicom releases?
Double Dragon II is the biggie here - its FC version is the definitive, I'd say. TLDR: profoundly meaner hardest difficulty setting, which not only fires up the combat but also evens out the Knee-dominated moveset. And its "Normal" is pretty much the NES's max difficulty, so you effectively get both regions on one cart! The NES one's still a very enjoyable brawler, but as a huge fan of Technos's 8bit years I'd never be without the FC revision.

AFAIK, DD1 is more or less identical across US/JP, crash bugs and all (foot of that post), while DD3 is slightly harder on NES, though nowhere to the transformative extent of DD2FC. You fight a couple more enemies per wave, and they have a bit more HP. The FC game's a decent little challenge as it is, so I've never been tempted to double up. A tiny detail I enjoy on the FC is, the ending will reflect whether any of your characters have died. Nice bit of recognition there. :smile:
@Steamflogger Boss

Nice gets! But you really gotta reduce the size on these images man. ;)
Imgur Protip: stick an "s" "m" "l" or "h" (small/medium/large/huge) at the very end of the filename to auto-resize as a thumbnail. ^_~ I like to include the full res as a clickable URL, like so:
Spoiler
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

CIT wrote: Actually, it's La Mulana 2. The first isn't out on Switch, as far as I'm aware, although it did get a PSV physical release with a similarly Arumana No Kiseki styled cover. :)
The first game is coming to Switch too. There is double pack coming to the west in early 2020. AFAIK, the JP version of La Mulana 2 doesn't have English text.
Steamflogger Boss

Thanks BIL.

Fixed everything on this page.
Last edited by Steamflogger Boss on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CIT

Post by CIT »

@BIL

Thanks for the DD heads up! A bit odd they only included the overseas versions in the collection. I actually just scored a FC DDII for 10€. A bit beat up, but you can’t argue with the price. Should arrive in a fee days.

I hear the MD port is pants, but what’s your take on the PCE version?

@BrianC

Great news, thanks!
BIL

Post by BIL »

I've not played the PCE one in enough depth, or recently enough, to really say - FWIW, from my short tryouts ages back (2014), I recall the combat seeming very decent, especially the rejigged knee, but feeling that the stage design lacked the FC's treacherous economy. I remember Mission 3's chopper battle being particularly diluted next to the murderous intensity of the FC killbox.

Also, despite the cutscenes using the same rad Hokuto no Ken style as the Famicom's box and manual, the in-game sprites are kinda fugly. Billy looks unnervingly like Chris Chan's internet-infamous self-insert comic character. :lol: It's a superficial detail, of course, but the charmingly stylised agony accompanying a sound Technos thrashing is a genuine part of their appeal.

I won't say too much more though, it's been way too long. I'm actually getting back into DDII's various incarnations atm, planning to pick up the ACA version for next weekend. Might have to give the PCE one a second look! If I recall right, KID handled the conversion, which would explain the snappy mechanics at least. I wish they'd done the MD's arcade conversion too - it really does seem god-awful. Less galling now with ACA, fortunately.

(incidentally, I've been doing a little light research, and I've heard Hamster's main contractor for ACA is Gotch - who consist of founding members of Rutubo Games, responsible for the superb 32X and Saturn ports of Space Harrier, After Burner II and OutRun, the latter being SS only, ofc. would explain the surprisingly high standard of this line. only mentioning as it used to bum the hell out of me that MD Double Dragon I and II got screwed up!)

Have you played Double Dragon Advance, btw? Arguably the ultimate Technos brawler. It's far more than a remake of the arcade game - it cribs mechanics from the entire Technos canon, from the Kunios and Combatribes as well as the arcade and home DD sequels. Plays smooth as all hell, just the Survival Mode would be compelling stuff. It's slightly dinted by the GBA format's small screen and limited buttons, but both are easily worked around, the former with a GBA Player and the latter with a bit of spacing technique. The one Technos game I'd keep if forced to choose.
CIT

Post by CIT »

BIL wrote:Have you played Double Dragon Advance, btw? Arguably the ultimate Technos brawler. It's far more than a remake of the arcade game - it cribs mechanics from the entire Technos canon, from the Kunios and Combatribes as well as the arcade and home DD sequels. Plays smooth as all hell, just the Survival Mode would be compelling stuff. It's slightly dinted by the GBA format's small screen and limited buttons, but both are easily worked around, the former with a GBA Player and the latter with a bit of spacing technique. The one Technos game I'd keep if forced to choose.
Yep, I definitely love me some GBA DD too. Love how the game increases smoothness and agility of play without sacrificing any of the raw brutality of the original. Was lucky enough to actually pick that one up shortly after release, as now you gotta pay the proverbial arm, leg and kidney for it. Even went in on a limb, because I had always thought the series sucked. Good thing I listened to a friend's advice. ;)
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I regret that my PCE hauls aren't anywhere near as awesome as Steamflogger's, but I'll just choose to blame it on the fact that I already got the majority of the PCE games I'd ever want like 15+ years ago.

Steamflogger Boss

That was a much better time to buy at least. Nice games. Marchen Maze is fun.
JBueno MD

Post by JBueno MD »

Bought a Cab!

kitten

Post by kitten »

Sumez wrote:I regret that my PCE hauls aren't anywhere near as awesome as Steamflogger's, but I'll just choose to blame it on the fact that I already got the majority of the PCE games I'd ever want like 15+ years ago.
*looks mid-left on your pic*

oh hell yea!!!

*looks mid-right*

oh hell no!!!
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
drauch

Post by drauch »

Spoiler
My boy.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

kitten wrote: *looks mid-right*

oh hell no!!!
Lol. Looking forward to that now.

Is it me, or does Marchen Maze on PCE look a it plays a lot better than the arcade version?
ryu

Post by ryu »

Been putting this off until I remembered the PS TV exists and realized it can be acquired for a reasonable price :lol:
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
BIL

Post by BIL »

drauch wrote:
Spoiler
My boy.
Fuck yeah Image
kitten

Post by kitten »

Sumez wrote:Lol. Looking forward to that now.

Is it me, or does Marchen Maze on PCE look a it plays a lot better than the arcade version?
i don't know if you saw, but i recently played cross wiber to a nomiss and drove myself nuts.

i really wish i knew if marchen maze pce plays better, i love that game! i forget if i've seen any substantial direct comparison, though. or even any insubstantial ones...
Image | Image
chempop

Post by chempop »

JBueno MD wrote:Bought a Cab!

[img]
Spoiler

Congrats! Your first? Enjoy it :D
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
cicada88

Post by cicada88 »

Nice Neo Cab!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sumez wrote:I regret that my PCE hauls aren't anywhere near as awesome as Steamflogger's, but I'll just choose to blame it on the fact that I already got the majority of the PCE games I'd ever want like 15+ years ago.

I see "Bat-Man" (my nickname for it) among the games. Not a bad haul. I just went the Everdrive route to play JP games, though I still plan to get a JP Duo R.
JBueno MD

Post by JBueno MD »

chempop wrote:Congrats! Your first? Enjoy it :D
Yes indeed, my very first one. Been wanting one for the past 25 years, finally got my hands on one. Love it. Have my eyes on another cab form the same seller a Q25, with the nice rotate mechanism for vertical games :D
cicada88 wrote:Nice Neo Cab!
Thanks! :D
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Showing love to the best WonderBoy homage ever!