EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
monouchi

Re: EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

Post by monouchi »

zakk wrote:The announcement is already made. City Connection is releasing a multi-platform Deathsmiles collection. They didn't announce the platforms, but you can probably infer the likely candidates from their previous work
Thanks for the info.
Well, that was not so exciting...
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Here's something Exciting, the founder has released the photo of the hardware and Japan's launch game cartridge in two colors: Aka & Blue

Tweet with image:
https://twitter.com/exaarcadia/status/1 ... 2651731969

Japan launch is imminent, and then worldwide.

Edit: the back of EXA Arcadia fully revealed!
https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/download/ ... &mode=view
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Exa Arcadia has offically made a tweet, confirming Exa Arcadia's launch in Japan with Aka & Blue Type R.

https://twitter.com/exaarcadia/status/1 ... 4859913218

At least we can expect some plays for Aka & Blue Type R soon.
Chacranajxy

Post by Chacranajxy »

MrJBRPG wrote:Exa Arcadia has offically made a tweet, confirming Exa Arcadia's launch in Japan with Aka & Blue Type R.

https://twitter.com/exaarcadia/status/1 ... 4859913218

At least we can expect some plays for Aka & Blue Type R soon.
That's a pretty cool looking cart. Glad to see the hardware's finally out the door - hopefully, Type R lives up.

Still planning to preorder one once they go up for the US.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Chacranajxy wrote: That's a pretty cool looking cart. Glad to see the hardware's finally out the door - hopefully, Type R lives up.

Got news from Arcade Heroes through the discord server that preorders will go up for US and EU next week or so.

I will spread it to all of arcades near me so hopefully at least one of them can have those Exa Arcadia machines.
Chacranajxy

Post by Chacranajxy »

MrJBRPG wrote:
Chacranajxy wrote: That's a pretty cool looking cart. Glad to see the hardware's finally out the door - hopefully, Type R lives up.

Got news from Arcade Heroes through the discord server that preorders will go up for US and EU next week or so.

I will spread it to all of arcades near me so hopefully at least one of them can have those Exa Arcadia machines.
Nah, keep it on the DL till I get my order in.
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

Price point yet for USA?
rivals

Post by rivals »

Formally I don't think so, but the Strania EX preorder that went up last year was $2000ish for mobo+game I believe.
chempop

Post by chempop »

$3500 now with game and mobo. No Aka & Blue pre-order link yet for some reason.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Did it actually get listed and sold out while I was asleep, or have these not actually been orderable yet?
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

I think they've just been prepping the website.
chempop

Post by chempop »

[edit] Hmmm.. maybe certain games are out of stock, still seems unclear at this point.

So far I'm only seeing pre-order links for:

Kung Fu vs Karate Champ
Super Hydorah AC
Infinos EXA
Strania EX

Games are $1,200-1,500ea or $3,500 (USD) with the mobo.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
drboom

Post by drboom »

Where are you guys seeing this?
chempop

Post by chempop »

SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

Preorders haven't opened yet but seem to be imminent as there were various updates going on earlier. There was a placeholder shipping price of $3000 so I'm guessing no one actually ordered.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

So will a limited edition EXA-Arcadia mobo + one cartridge set be sold as well for the private hard-core shmuppers like ourselves? I like the cool red & blue colored Aka & Blue Type-R cartridge -- really quite striking. I wouldn't be surprised if we see crystal-clear shelled carts or some other cool color combinations of the carts in the nearby future.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

I would of gladly of supported this if it was in the $1200-$1500 range. Now this is a hard pass. $3k for games that are on Steam. No thanks!
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
egg_sanwich

Post by egg_sanwich »

Tokyo-J wrote:I would of gladly of supported this if it was in the $1200-$1500 range. Now this is a hard pass. $3k for games that are on Steam. No thanks!
They are targeting arcade operators, not home users, so I don’t think they will be too sad to miss your purchase.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

egg_sanwich wrote:
Tokyo-J wrote:I would of gladly of supported this if it was in the $1200-$1500 range. Now this is a hard pass. $3k for games that are on Steam. No thanks!
They are targeting arcade operators, not home users, so I don’t think they will be too sad to miss your purchase.
Sure, that will be the bulk of the market, but there are more than a handful of people looking to get these for home use. The Exa has been likened to the neo-geo before, so I was expecting games ranging from $500-1200 and a mobo costing around $1500. At the prices that have been unveiled, it's a hard pass for me as well.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

egg_sanwich wrote:
As someone who owns several arcade cabinets and has been purchasing games over 20 years. I am their target audience.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Yeah, as much as I understand that the prices exceed that of steam titles that are already on it tenfold.

However, the content of the Exa versions have to justify the prices for their own additions to it. The only thing I'm interested that someone to look for is the differences between Strania and Strania EX, that's mostly it. (Outside of the new arranged soundtrack and balance changes, unless there's more to it.)
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Chacranajxy

Post by Chacranajxy »

I was completely *in* for Strania EX, had it adhered to the $2000 for the mobo + game. I actually had the cash set aside for it. At $3500, though, yeah... it's not terribly interesting anymore. At least, not until I see the actual original games coming to this thing so I know this won't be another Griffin Aerotech-style dud. I totally get that it's for arcade operators, but let's be real - it's kiiiinda for the collector market, too. Otherwise, they wouldn't be offering it for sale the way that they are. And I suspect that, at least as far as the US market goes, I'm probably willing to spend more on a new arcade game than most establishments with cabs are these days, outside of the R1, D&B, Gameworks, etc. If even weirdos like us are balking at the price, I dunno.

Obviously, the arcade market isn't necessarily my area of expertise, so I could be way off, but it doesn't strike me as living up to the premise of being more accessible arcade hardware.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

Chacranajxy wrote:Obviously, the arcade market isn't necessarily my area of expertise, so I could be way off, but it doesn't strike me as living up to the premise of being more accessible arcade hardware.
I would say that it does live up to that promise when you consider that most of the current arcade systems require ops to profit share and they don't actually own the games, but the pricing is a bit higher than we were initially quoted.
Eric Chung: We have not really announced a price yet, but you can expect one kit, motherboard plus game, to cost around US$2000. And then, depending on the game, around $1000 to $1500. We are still looking into this to see what the price will be. But as you know, a new CAVE shooting game was sold around $1800, so it’s more or less the standard price in Japan
Now the game+mobo sets are coming in at $3500, and the lowest priced games are $1200. The arcade owners won't mind, and hopefully it does well for them, but it's a bit too rich for my wallet.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

They will find the sweet spot. (Find the sweet spot.)
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

Bummer to see the games coming in higher than expected (with motherboard).

I’ve not been highly engaged for a while but I was seriously considering picking up a couple. I’m not interested in the $3000-3500 range.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Shou has recently posted a statement in the Arcade Otaku Forums, clarifying, once again, that the Exa Arcadia is aimed for arcade operators, and it is the most affordable range for a commercial standpoint.

https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic ... 32#p519726
Shou wrote: tldr - this is a product for arcade operators and is priced accordingly - consumers are welcome to purchase if they are inclined to/overwhelming demand in Japan, even at this price point

To answer some of the questions posted recently:

1. This product has always been targeted to arcade operators. It is not a consumer grade product. However, we have made it possible for individuals to buy the product unlike other companies like Taito, Sega, namco, etc.

2. Pricing is for arcade operators. Once you have the motherboard, software kits are lower priced than kits from even 2 decades ago.

As a collector like many here, I do understand it is out of range for most. This is for operators and also for us as a business to not just survive but to take the platform to the next stage with bigger titles and more features.
There are hobbyist priced products like what NG DEV TEAM or Airframe has put out that are available to anyone. Having a price point like these products means you are not going to be signing a game like Aka & Blue or Psyvariar much less even having a chance with Cave, Arc, Capcom, SNK, etc. If the price is too low, it means their potential profit is too low for these big boys to consider. They are mostly public companies who have real business opportunity costs and will choose making 10 mobile games over a "real" game.

No one here has mentioned it but the Japanese price for our product is actually almost 50% higher than the overseas price and yet even at that price point, there is overwhelming demand. Taito, Capcom and namco locations have already placed preorders and demanded to be first.

Why is that?

The competition still costs more and has 30-50% forced revenue share. Also, the main fighters do not even have console parity. (Tekken 7 FR R2 doesn't have Negan and there is no talk of upgrading it to Season 3. Ops bought it for $8000 and are SOL) Consumption tax in Japan has already recently increased to 10% which affects operators and also the government has been heavily promoting the use of cashless payments which have additional overhead.

Japanese arcade revenue per 100 yen a game revenue now looks like this:
10 JPY - consumption tax
30-50 JPY - game manufacturer
5 JPY - cashless payment vendor

With only 35-55 JPY left in profit, it's no wonder why operators cannot afford to run this kind of business anymore.
Articles in the Japanese mass media have been coming out left and right since the tax hike which I have linked a few here that summarize what I wrote above.
https://ryukyushimpo.jp/news/entry-999336.html
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=2019 ... kokudb-ind

namco's latest game is Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (IP put on top of a Fornite clone) and it starts at $15,000 with large revenue share for even early adopters. They actually didn't receive 1 single preorder outside of namco's own locations. That's how dire the market is now.

3. While some games do come from platforms like Steam, the actual games themselves and production going into them is not the same.

For example, Shikhondo was ported to consoles by an external developer who didn't accurately do it and you'll find that the bullet patterns, slowdown etc are different.
The EXA version, Red Purgatory, contains a true vertical mode, new rebalanced gameplay developed by the original creator, new voice recordings in both Japanese and English and new sound effect recordings done by WASi303 from Success. Then, it is battle tested in Japanese arcades to optimize it for both players and arcade owners. This isn't a simple port.

I don't recall many complaints when a doujin port like Trouble Witches on TypeX was 150,000 JPY when it's 1500 yen on a physical disc for PC. Now, in the used market, it goes for more than the original retail but it's just a port.

--

In closing, we started this project a little over 2 years with little more than a dream that arcades are still viable and that we can be that catalyst to reverse the downward trends in the industry.
We went from no hardware to a real platform in less time or budget than what the big boys can do.
Taito and Sega were put on notice - Taito even sent their staff to monitor every Japanese show event and location test we did. Taito started to attempt to block us from signing titles. Taito and Sega tried to block us from getting a booth at JAEPO.
They fear this change as no new player has been able to challenge them on their home turf.
We are arcade first, we live and die by the mission to make arcades great again.
We are EXA.
While it is nice that anyone can order a machine, being a collector's item is only a side-bonus. I am okay with not possessing the machine. However, I do inform all arcades near my home so they can have Exa Arcadia available to play.

Also, for those who are into shmups, a trailer has confirmed release date for Aka & Blue Type R in Japan: November 27, 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaZYeQ6GoA4

From all of those posts of field / location tests, they do help shape the game to be a better product when taking feedback from players and operators.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Honestly once you have a Motherboard the game prices are semi reasonable considering I was paying $1800 for some GD roms at one point. I just wish the entry price was a little less steep considering new Atomiswave kits were $400-$800.
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

I wonder how many USA arcades will have EXA in 2020.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Cannonballs wrote:I wonder how many USA arcades will have EXA in 2020.
Who knows, I probably expect Round 1 centers to have them first, I suppose, then maybe other businesses later on.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

NeoStrayCat wrote:
Cannonballs wrote:I wonder how many USA arcades will have EXA in 2020.
Who knows, I probably expect Round 1 centers to have them first, I suppose, then maybe other businesses later on.
They need to figure out how to get these into Chuck E Cheese and Dave and Busters. Literally that is all we have left in my area other then fart sniffing Barcades full of pinballs and retro games.