Extron DSC 301 HD (RGB>HDMI+scaling)-Best settings for 480p?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ErebusMaligan

Re: Extron DSC 301 HD (RGB>HDMI+scaling)-Best settings for 4

Post by ErebusMaligan »

If anyone can provide me with anything above the 1.02 that is on both of mine, I'd be much obliged. I tried to see if I could sign up for an extron account as an independent programmer, but they never responded in any way, despite the fact that I actually am a programmer and had a .mil address to give them.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Thanks, I plan on staying on 1.25, but I grabbed 1.26 just in case.
ErebusMaligan

Post by ErebusMaligan »

Thanks for the firmware links Bucko.

At the risk of sounding greedy, can someone post the program to load the firmware as well? or is there a way to do this through dataviewer that I am not understanding?

I still do not understand why all of this stuff isn't just openly downloadable from their site like every other company, or why they won't just give an account to anyone who registers at least if they are just trying to track what gets downloaded and how often.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

ErebusMaligan wrote:At the risk of sounding greedy, can someone post the program to load the firmware as well? or is there a way to do this through dataviewer that I am not understanding?
No, you should update the firmware with the programs from Extron, such as Extron PCS.
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic »

Thanks BuckoA51
Do you by chance have the newest version of the PCS as well?
ErebusMaligan wrote:I still do not understand why all of this stuff isn't just openly downloadable from their site like every other company, or why they won't just give an account to anyone who registers at least if they are just trying to track what gets downloaded and how often.
Extron seems to treat end-users with complete contempt for some reason.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Seraphic wrote:Extron seems to treat end-users with complete contempt for some reason.
They expect their dealers to handle the support for end users.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Unseen wrote:
Seraphic wrote:Extron seems to treat end-users with complete contempt for some reason.
I'm a partner in a company that does A/V integration for small business and residential, and we tried to get a dealer account with them

they really didn't give a shit about us either once I told them we would probably not be moving tens of thousands of dollars of their product on a regular basis
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic »

Unseen wrote:
That may be, but I think I can speak for most users on this forum in that we purchase our Extron products used on eBay.
So we do not deal with dealers directly and therein lies the problem as we do not have easy access to latest firmware updates (etc).
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Extron PCS software - https://mega.nz/#!ucwxnSJT!OgAkXqyb8t8h ... FaDyVwCxhw

If anyone tries the update let me know how you get on as mine's not set up at the mo.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic »

BuckoA51 wrote:Extron PCS software - https://mega.nz/#!ucwxnSJT!OgAkXqyb8t8h ... FaDyVwCxhw

If anyone tries the update let me know how you get on as mine's not set up at the mo.
Thanks for posting newest version of PCS. Do you have an Extron account? :wink:

I updated mine from 1.25 to 1.26 using an older version of PCS (4.3.x). But process was easy enough.
Install PCS, connect USB to 301HD and computer, power on 301HD, link PCS software with 301HD, select update firmware from one of the menu tabs at top and then select the 1.26 .s19 firmware and click update.

The DSC301HD-FirmwareUpgradeV1x26.exe you posted earlier will put the 1.26 .s19 firmware file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Extron\Firmware\DSC 301 HD\v1_26_0001 on your computer.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I don't have an account but I did manage to find a friendly contact within Extron willing to grab a few downloads for me :)
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
ErebusMaligan

Post by ErebusMaligan »

BuckoA51 wrote:Extron PCS software - https://mega.nz/#!ucwxnSJT!OgAkXqyb8t8h ... FaDyVwCxhw

Thanks so much!
Worked great, both for updating the firmware and configuring settings.
While the front panel controls work well enough, and tactile buttons and knobs are fun, it can be kind of a pain to set up all the presets vs just typing in some numbers.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Thank you, I already have installed on my PC version 4.3 that I used when I installed 1.25, but I grabbed the newest version just in case.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Today I discovered 2 things about my 301 (one good, one bad):

1. If I connect my PC to the D-sub connector it allows me to enable AMD Virtual Super Resolution [VSR] (woohoo!) in the Radeon Settings application whereas if I connect via HDMI, Virtual Super Resolution goes back to being 'not supported'. Any idea why this might be? Is there a workaround? I'd much rather stay in the digital realm.

2. Unfortunately if I connect my PC to the D-Sub input on the 301 it appears to throw the colour temp (or something) off. I can partially correct for it by adjusting the colour temp settings on my PC but something is still not quite right (everything has some kind of weird tint to it). Driving me nuts! Anyone else experienced this?
strayan

Post by strayan »

Tested VSR with the Crestron HD scaler via HDMI and it works. No idea why the Extron301 isn’t VSR compatible.
strayan

Post by strayan »

strayan wrote:Tested VSR with the Crestron HD scaler via HDMI and it works. No idea why the Extron301 isn’t VSR compatible.
VSR appears to have stopped working with my Crestron. No idea why. Extremely frustrating.
dc_coder_84

Post by dc_coder_84 »

What's better for low res PS1 games (240p/288p)? Framemeiser or the Extron DSC 301 HD + OSSC combo when the OSSC is set to 240p/288p Line4x mode?

What do you think about the image for 480i games when the OSSC is set to line3x (laced) mode and chained with the Extron DSC 301 HD. I think the image is quite good and it's only a little bit unstable here and there if you have a close look.

When I chain my OSSC and Extron DSC 301 HD I sometimes have black screens. I then have to change the output mode of the OSSC back and forth and then the image is fine again. Is there someting I can do to prevent this? Maybe changing some sync settings or something like that?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

What's better for low res PS1 games (240p/288p)? Framemeiser or the Extron DSC 301 HD + OSSC combo when the OSSC is set to 240p/288p Line4x mode?
Extron/OSSC will be slightly better due to its 4:4:4 processing path, but it depends on what you want to do. If you want to fill your screen (= upscale the 960p output of the OSSC to 1080p), then the difference will be negligible.
What do you think about the image for 480i games when the OSSC is set to line3x (laced) mode and chained with the Extron DSC 301 HD. I think the image is quite good and it's only a little bit unstable here and there if you have a close look.
I don't like bob-deinterlacing very much. I think there's a place for it depending on the type of game, but for the majority of 480i games I certainly prefer "proper" deinterlacing.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

dc_coder_84 wrote:When I chain my OSSC and Extron DSC 301 HD I sometimes have black screens.
That's normal.

If you don't want black screens, try to disable frame lock.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Seraphic wrote:Thanks for posting newest version of PCS. Do you have an Extron account? :wink:

I updated mine from 1.25 to 1.26 using an older version of PCS (4.3.x). But process was easy enough.
Install PCS, connect USB to 301HD and computer, power on 301HD, link PCS software with 301HD, select update firmware from one of the menu tabs at top and then select the 1.26 .s19 firmware and click update.

The DSC301HD-FirmwareUpgradeV1x26.exe you posted earlier will put the 1.26 .s19 firmware file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Extron\Firmware\DSC 301 HD\v1_26_0001 on your computer.
Just wanted to say thanks for the instructions. Got mine updated and working stellar!
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

I'm really hoping I didn't just get eBay screwed. Again.

My unit powers on with an amber light (I'm feeding it HDMI but it doesn't turn green). Button presses do nothing. It outputs no video.

I've loaded Extron PCS 4.4.3. It does not see the unit when connected via USB. A "where are my devices" hyperlink within PCS mentions needing the "Extron USB Driver", but I see no reference to that in this thread so I'm thinking this isn't necessary?

Tell me I don't have to file yet another "item not as described" and I'm just using this incorrectly / skipping a vital step...
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

HDgaming42 wrote:I'm really hoping I didn't just get eBay screwed. Again.

My unit powers on with an amber light (I'm feeding it HDMI but it doesn't turn green). Button presses do nothing. It outputs no video.

I've loaded Extron PCS 4.4.3. It does not see the unit when connected via USB. A "where are my devices" hyperlink within PCS mentions needing the "Extron USB Driver", but I see no reference to that in this thread so I'm thinking this isn't necessary?

Tell me I don't have to file yet another "item not as described" and I'm just using this incorrectly / skipping a vital step...
I had the same issue with the lights, and also bought my unit off Ebay. The power supply was faulty, once the seller replaced it, I was up and running. Put in the request for that and try a spare power supply if you have one.
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

ldeveraux wrote:I had the same issue with the lights, and also bought my unit off Ebay. The power supply was faulty, once the seller replaced it, I was up and running. Put in the request for that and try a spare power supply if you have one.
Hmmmm. This unit--like most available on eBay ATM, didn't come with a power supply. I'm using an extron 28-181-05LF which outputs 12V 2.0A (the 301 wants 12V 1.0A, so this should work).

Using a multimeter I measure the voltage as 12.3V. I have 3 of these power supplies, and the 301 shows the same behaviour on all three.

@BuckoA51 - Can you grab the "Extron USB Driver" and post it here? I suspect it's not the issue, but I'm at a dead end...

I should add I tried composite video last night as well--no difference.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

l had a similar experience with my 301 HD and a faulty power supply. Replacing the power supply fixed my issue.

Speaking of the 301, mine refuses to play nice with sync jitter from the NES and SNES. Anybody else having the same issue?

PS: (I'm aware of the mod boards to solve the problem. I'm talking about the 301's performance.)
We apologise for the inconvenience
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

orange808 wrote:Speaking of the 301, mine refuses to play nice with sync jitter from the NES and SNES. Anybody else having the same issue?

PS: (I'm aware of the mod boards to solve the problem. I'm talking about the 301's performance.)
Mine is the same way. Think I tried direct from my RGBNES/SNES via VGA plug (RGBS), and probably tried OSSC > DSC 301 HD > 4K TV too and still no go (gets all sorts of weird dark banding? and cuts out if my memory serves...it's been a while). Those same NES/SNES through the OSSC to my same TV work perfectly in every mode I've tried fyi.

BUT, scaling 240 to 1080p through the DSC is kinda WAY worse than what the OSSC can do, so what were you trying? If you were linking the OSSC + DSC, what multiplier were you using? Line 5x from the OSSC pretty much bypasses any scaling your TV would do anyway, right? So were you trying to use the DSC kinda how people use the DVDO's? (i.e. to get a more standard 1080p signal which would work on a wider variety of flatsceens?).
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

OK, 3 extron power supplies later I wired up a generic PSU with 12V 1.5A. Same behaviour.

I can probably safely assume this thing is toast, no?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Dochartaigh wrote: ...so what were you trying?...
I was testing out all the line multiple modes from the OSSC with multiple consoles to see what kind of results I would get using the DSC 301 HD.

I didn't recall reading that NES and SNES without dejitter had issues; that seems like a potentially big issue for an OSSC companion machine.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

SNES definitely has issues without the de-jitter mod. I think ONE of the OSSC's output modes (3x/4x/5x) did work though, didn't it? Didn't try a NES or Famicom though, sorry.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I can probably safely assume this thing is toast, no?
if you're certain that you got an active source connected, then yes, probably.

Without an active source, the Extron disables its output as well. You can bring up a menu, but it has got a rather quick timeout. Also if you got a HDCP source, but HDCP on the Extron is disabled, you might not get a picture. I found a VGA or composite source a much more reliable test to start out with.