Screen tearing in a couple of PS shmups, Philosoma, Parodius

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Restart_Point

Screen tearing in a couple of PS shmups, Philosoma, Parodius

Post by Restart_Point »

Has anyone seen distracting screen tearing in various scrolling backgound layers in Philosoma or Gokujō Parodius (in the Parodius Deluxe Pack)? It seems to happen in intermediate and foreground layers in both games.

I was just wondering if this is normal or potentially a hardware issue. I have USA PSOne (slim playstation 1) that has been internally modded to play any region games and I own Japanese copies of the aforementioned games. So far i've only seen it in these two early-released games, later 2D shmups games like Sexy Parodius, Salamander Deluxe pack seem to have smoother performance in general. I know the PS doesn't have the best 2D capabilities, is it just a case of these two early games not being programmed well? Cheers!
MidOrFeed2015

Re: Screen tearing in a couple of PS shmups, Philosoma, Paro

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

Restart_Point wrote:Has anyone seen distracting screen tearing in various scrolling backgound layers in Philosoma or Gokujō Parodius (in the Parodius Deluxe Pack)? It seems to happen in intermediate and foreground layers in both games.

I was just wondering if this is normal or potentially a hardware issue. I have USA PSOne (slim playstation 1) that has been internally modded to play any region games and I own Japanese copies of the aforementioned games. So far i've only seen it in these two early-released games, later 2D shmups games like Sexy Parodius, Salamander Deluxe pack seem to have smoother performance in general. I know the PS doesn't have the best 2D capabilities, is it just a case of these two early games not being programmed well? Cheers!
firstly, I have tried philosoma and no I see zero screen tearing. matter of fact, it's beautiful
secondly, your remark about ps not having the best 2d capabilities sounds like a far-fetched meme. where did this come from?? ps has many incredible 2d games. you need to define "doesn't have best 2d capabilities" because the software heavily contradicts that statement
Restart_Point

Post by Restart_Point »

MidOrFeed2015 wrote:firstly, I have tried philosoma and no I see zero screen tearing. matter of fact, it's beautiful
Thanks for your opinion. I am looking for practical answers as to why I am seeing tearing on some background layers in Philosoma (specifically on some of the 2D bitmap backrounds, not polygonal). As I am wanting to know if it's possibly a problem with my hardware or set up. Do you have any suggestions?
MidOrFeed2015 wrote:secondly, your remark about ps not having the best 2d capabilities sounds like a far-fetched meme. where did this come from?? ps has many incredible 2d games. you need to define "doesn't have best 2d capabilities" because the software heavily contradicts that statement
At least two Capcom fighting games were released in cut-down forms (compared to Saturn versions) with the full tag-team feature removed and less frames of animation, due to technical limitations. This was remarked upon in magazines that I was reading at the time. 20+ years ago. A long time before the word 'meme' and other such annoyong internet slang existed. Also I shouldn't have to re-cap this but it's common knowledge, and has been since the PS1 came out, that it does not have dedicated 2D sprite / tile etc chips, and must use it's 3D processor in a round-about way to present 2D images on screen. Which presumaby presented some issues to devs that the Saturn did not.

For some reason you seem to have taken my inquiry as some kind of indictment against the PlayStation. I bought a PS on its month of release in the UK for £300 and it was / still is a brilliant console with some briliant games. Why else would I still be bothering to play it now? And I like Philosoma a lot. I don't see why you think I need to justify asking a technical question, other than you seem to have taken some personal affront to the fact I asked in the first place.
Last edited by Restart_Point on Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Screen tearing is usually the result of using the wrong refresh rate for the game (I.e. One that is not native). You see it in upscaled mame but it is fixed by using groovymame on a CRT as GM automatically uses the native refresh rate (or the closest available).

If you are seeing it on a PS1 game and the issue is specific to your set-up (I.e. It works fine for other people), I'd start by looking at any downstream hardware like upscalers or monitors that upscale. You didn't mention how and what your PS1 is hooked up to?

If you are using it on a 60hz only SD crt TV (I.e. Not a 100hz model or an HD one), and the PS and game disc are both functional, it's probably a game specific issue and there's not much to be done.

Are you sure the problem is screen tearing specifically? A lot of PS1 games have what look like visual bugs by today's standards. I haven't seen any instances of screen tearing though. Can you capture it on video?
Restart_Point

Post by Restart_Point »

Thanks ClassicGamer. So far I have only been playing it on a 100HZ (I think) Samsung LCD TV plugged in directly via a SCART RGB cable, with which all my other PS1 games have no issue. I do have access to a Trinitron CRT in storage that I use occaisionally , I will dig it out (would use it all the time if I had the space) and see if it's the same with that and report back. It should also be easy to get film of it so I will do that ASAP also.
As mentioned before, of the four Konami shooters i have (Gadius Deluxe PAck, Salamander Deluxe Pack, Sexy Parodius, Parodius Deluxe Pack) I can only see the problem in Parodius Deluxe Pack, which was a very early release for PS1, SLPS-00002. First game after Ridge Racer.