Game peripherals from before the world went mad...

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Classicgamer

Game peripherals from before the world went mad...

Post by Classicgamer »

Check out this 1970's video game console and the awesome-looking light gun it came with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZruToHDDeL8

It's a cool semi-realistic pistol that turns into a Tommy gun (minus the drum mag). Did light gun coolness really peak in the Pong era...

After this, in response to some appalling high school gun violence, they chose to act by making all video game guns look like Manga toys (e.g. Nes zapper) while leaving real guns easily available to all. When this failed to solve kiddie gun violence, they took drastic action and turned our light guns orange. This did not work either. Instead, gun violence in schools got progressively worse. They needed to think outside the box!

In the PS3 / Wii era, they turned our light guns into vibrating sex toys and remote controls but the problem just continued to get worse. Now, in the PS4 era, they took away our light guns completely and high school gun violence and general mass-murder is literally at an all time high.

So, it's time for these people to admit that either the color of our light guns has no part in gun violence or that more realistic game guns actively prevents real violence! After all, school gun violence was at it's lowest when all consoles came with a free Tommy gun!
nmalinoski

Re: Game peripherals from before the world went mad...

Post by nmalinoski »

This is satire, right?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

nmalinoski wrote:This is satire, right?
:lol:
We apologise for the inconvenience
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

nmalinoski wrote:This is satire, right?
Yup. Especially if you use Google's definition of satire:

"the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues".
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

mass murder is not at an all time high, far from it in fact

but yeah jponry guncons for everybody!
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

maxtherabbit wrote:mass murder is not at an all time high, far from it in fact

Well, "all time" covers a very long period but the key point is that, in recent history, mass shootings are on the increase in both number and frequency according to the Washington post. They certainly have not been declining despite them making our light guns orange, or with Manga styling.

I am not a gun control advocate or anything like that. I just want recoiling light guns that look like real full metal Uzi's and black military style M4's. And I want everyone in the industry to stop pandering to illogical hysteria. It should be obvious at this point that they didn't save a single life with those bright orange shells. They made use feel silly playing their games for nothing.

Call me crazy but I dislike "solutions" that have no possible way of solving the problem. If there is a hole in the bridge and people are falling to their death, you fix the hole. You don't make everyone wear pink sweaters because that would be stupid.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Classicgamer wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:mass murder is not at an all time high, far from it in fact

Well, "all time" covers a very long period but the key point is that, in recent history, mass shootings are on the increase in both number and frequency according to the Washington post. They certainly have not been declining despite them making our light guns orange, or with Manga styling.

I am not a gun control advocate or anything like that. I just want recoiling light guns that look like real full metal Uzi's and black military style M4's. And I want everyone in the industry to stop pandering to illogical hysteria. It should be obvious at this point that they didn't save a single life with those bright orange shells. They made use feel silly playing their games for nothing.

Call me crazy but I dislike "solutions" that have no possible way of solving the problem. If there is a hole in the bridge and people are falling to their death, you fix the hole. You don't make everyone wear pink sweaters because that would be stupid.
yeah I feel you man, but you've got a better shot at forestalling the sun than asking the world to stop pandering to emotional idiots
RIP-Felix

Post by RIP-Felix »

Probably has more to do with the decline in access to mental health care. Look up mental health statistics, the picture becomes pretty clear. We take care of our body when it gets injured, but forget to do the same for our minds. Mental health in America has a PR problem. We have to help those in emotional turmoil, not let them work it out alone. Access to help and normalizing the issue is key. $hit happens to all of us and some get a worse break than others. Especially in the age of social media and ever present cellphones camera's and microphones it can be very easy to become ostracized and abandoned by our circle of friends. Family ties may not be as strong as they should. So some need people they can trust to ask for help with difficult thoughts and emotions. The last thing these people need is no one. Unfortunately that is all too common.

Wake up, this is an people problem. More law enforcement, gun control, and surveillance can help, but real prevention starts years earlier with a person who needs help.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

RIP-Felix wrote:
Wake up, this is an people problem. More law enforcement, gun control, and surveillance can help, but real prevention starts years earlier with a person who needs help.
I was with you until this. The last sentence is the pink sweater.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
RIP-Felix

Post by RIP-Felix »

thchardcore wrote:
RIP-Felix wrote:
Of course I lack authority, but don't equivocate, elaborate. What do you disagree with?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

RIP-Felix wrote:
thchardcore wrote:
RIP-Felix wrote:
Of course I lack authority, but don't equivocate, elaborate. What do you disagree with?
thinking that "More law enforcement, gun control, and surveillance can help" is clown shoes
donluca

Post by donluca »

I think the verb he meant to use was "might" instead of "can", meaning that by using those laws there's a possibility of reducing casualties, but it's not the right approach.
RIP-Felix

Post by RIP-Felix »

maxtherabbit wrote:thinking that "More law enforcement, gun control, and surveillance can help" is clown shoes
Spoiler
Police need to be able to respond faster and more effectively during an active shooter incident. Surveillance can give them a picture or description that narrows the suspects and possibly end the situation sooner. Seconds matter. And if the perp only has access to a revolver vs an assault rifle with high capacity clips, he/she can't kill as many, as quickly, giving the potential victims time to run, hide, or fight.

However, that doesn't prevent the determined individual from accessing the millions of guns already on the street or address their desire to commit the crime in the first place. This is why prevention is more salient. The only clowns are politicians usurping a mental health crises and turning it solely into a gun control issue. Their distress was not identified early enough to shift anger and pain into constructive coping mechanisms. Instead of helping them or heading the warning signs we let them stew in dangerous thoughts. No one should feel this is the only way to make that point, because it doesn't need to be made. It's self evident for anyone who's been cast aside in a moment of great sadness. I would argue that's most of us at some point. The difference is that we had a support structure or lacked a mental illness. Either way the solution is empathy and help for those acting out in distress, because that $hit escalates.
The shorthand is that guns don't kill people, people kill people. Reach the person, before the person reaches the gun. We all have fuses, and people light other people on fire. A lit fuse needs to be recognized and defused. This is more effective than methods that only limit the damage. That's all I'm saying.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

All those discussions on firearm safety vs mental health services are only relevant to real guns, not light guns.

No matter how mentally unstable a person is and no matter how much his or her mental health has been neglected, you can not kill anyone with a light gun. Well... unless you filed it down into a shank.... prison style. But basically, you can't.

No matter what their personal opinion is, a logical person could form an argument as to why better mental health services or gun control might improve safety. There is literally nothing you can do to improve safety with a light gun.

Greater light gun controls is as effective for improving safety as greater post-it note controls. If something isn't dangerous, why have any controls (even self imposed). If it is dangerous, making it orange or shaped like a sex toy will not help. Would replacing the stock on an AR15 with an orange dildo make it safer? Of course not. It would just be silly.

Turning our light guns orange was just a failed PR project. It literally did nothing to stop morons claiming their sons killed the whole school after playing Time Crisis...
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

LIGHT GUN CONTROL

Time to revive the Cyber Police !

- B..but Mr. officer it's a toy.

- Shut up violent gamer scum ! Ya dun goofed.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Classicgamer wrote:All those discussions on firearm safety vs mental health services are only relevant to real guns, not light guns.

No matter how mentally unstable a person is and no matter how much his or her mental health has been neglected, you can not kill anyone with a light gun. Well... unless you filed it down into a shank.... prison style. But basically, you can't.

No matter what their personal opinion is, a logical person could form an argument as to why better mental health services or gun control might improve safety. There is literally nothing you can do to improve safety with a light gun.

Greater light gun controls is as effective for improving safety as greater post-it note controls. If something isn't dangerous, why have any controls (even self imposed). If it is dangerous, making it orange or shaped like a sex toy will not help. Would replacing the stock on an AR15 with an orange dildo make it safer? Of course not. It would just be silly.

Turning our light guns orange was just a failed PR project. It literally did nothing to stop morons claiming their sons killed the whole school after playing Time Crisis...
If I recall correctly, the justification was some nonsense along the lines of "realistic looking toy guns could be used as intimidation props in real crime" since the victim might not know the difference

It's the same BS reasoning that airsoft guns are required to be sold with orange tips by law
system11

Post by system11 »

Moved exceptionally stupid thread to off-topic.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Hello thread.

* Suicides per capita are up. Spree or "rampage" killings, an especially douchebag form of suicide, are arguably slightly up.

* Toy guns being made to look more like toys isn't to keep children from becoming bloodthirsty killers. It's to reduce the number of little kids getting shot by the police while playing with them outside. Kids getting shot by cops is not great advertising.

* If you don't want people to kill themselves as much, make their lives suck less by improving society somewhat?

The whole homicides per capita thing is really just a flat line when you take out the drug wars of the ~80's, when the cartels were negotiating marketshare.
it290

Post by it290 »

In addition to the points BryanM made, suicide by cop is a very real phenomenon and something that is fairly easily accomplished with a realistic airsoft gun or other toy gun. Not preemptively using that argument to take 'realistic light guns' out of the picture, but really who gives a (#*# when it functions the way you want it to.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Finally. I always knew this forum needed two threads debating guns.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

BryanM wrote:Hello thread.

* Suicides per capita are up. Spree or "rampage" killings, an especially douchebag form of suicide, are arguably slightly up.

* Toy guns being made to look more like toys isn't to keep children from becoming bloodthirsty killers. It's to reduce the number of little kids getting shot by the police while playing with them outside. Kids getting shot by cops is not great advertising.

* If you don't want people to kill themselves as much, make their lives suck less by improving society somewhat?

The whole homicides per capita thing is really just a flat line when you take out the drug wars of the ~80's, when the cartels were negotiating marketshare.
I'm not sure you could stop someone from attempting suicide by cop. A determined mind could always spray paint any orange tip etc. Plus, you would only need to run towards a police officer holding a kitchen knife to get the job done. I'm not sure that was the intent with making light guns orange though.

The police carry guns in most countries (except the UK) and they seemed to have no issues with black or more realistic-looking light guns. Granted, the easy availability of real guns here makes it more likely that the police would mistake something for a gun. People have been shot here for holding a cell phone. I could definitely understand giving light guns an orange tip, like airsoft guns and perhaps a warning on the box to not carry one down the street. A few years ago, the police even shot a guy shopping in Walmart for picking up an Air rifle off the shelf to take it to the register.

At the time, it seemed like the concern was about it being in poor taste to sell a gun and a shooting game to kids in the aftermath of the various school massacres. There were a lot of unfounded claims, alleging a link between violent video games and real violence. But... Now that we know that Duck Hunt is not to blame, surely they could bring back the genre.

As far as I can tell, there was no spike in accidental gun deaths in 1977 when a realistic (ish) Tommy Gun came with every home console. That's a good data point to show that any realistic light gun concerns are just theoretical and unfounded. There is even more data to show that making light guns orange or manga-like had zero impact on any of society's problems.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

You want a realistic looking light gun?
Get one of the Hori Guncon or Guncon 2 Beretta replicas.
The PS1 version is even of the actual real weight. Try playing a game of Point Blank with that! It really builds your forearm muscles.
Classicgamer wrote: There is even more data to show that making light guns orange or manga-like had zero impact on any of society's problems.
That was never the point.
As Bryan M stated, the orange color was added to help alleviate the problem of cops shooting kids with toy guns. First cap-guns had orange or red tips added, then eventually the whole toy had to be bright colored.
Last edited by Koa Zo on Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

even if they turn mah guns gay, I'll just STRANGLE EM W/ THE CORD (・`W´・)
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Koa Zo wrote:You want a realistic looking light gun?
Get one of the Hori Guncon or Guncon 2 Beretta replicas.
The PS1 version is even of the actual real weight. Try playing a game of Point Blank with that! It really builds your forearm muscles.
Classicgamer wrote: There is even more data to show that making light guns orange or manga-like had zero impact on any of society's problems.
That was never the point.
As Bryan M stated, the orange color was added to help alleviate the problem of cops shooting kids with toy guns. First cap-guns had orange or red tips added, then eventually the whole toy had to be bright colored.
I have 3 of those Berettas (two guncon 1 and one guncon 2). The black plastic was replaced with transparent green for the American version. The import black versions are fairly rare. They aren't really worth tracking down as they don't work very well. It's the same for those micro-Uzi guns made by the same people.

Where does the info come from on what Nintendo and Namco etc intended with the orange plastic? I never saw any official statement on the topic. If it's an assumption, it's as good as any but none of the possible answers make much sense.

If there had been a spike in kiddy murder by cop when light guns looked real, I could see some logic, but there wasn't. And.... The problem is far more likely with airsoft guns as they are made for use outside the house and don't have a large USB cable hanging out the back. And.... they still sell realistic (in color) toy guns which also only have the orange tip on the barrel.

It isn't a legal requirement either. Toy guns and airsoft are only required to have the orange tip barrel. I am going to assume that light guns are categorized as toys (in legal terms).

Also, it wasn't just home light guns. They changed arcade guns to bright colors in the early 90's. I assume they weren't worried that police would storm an arcade and shoot someone playing Time Crisis... The Japanese Crisis Zone cab has a black machine gun. The American cab got light blue....
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Classicgamer wrote:
I have 3 of those Berettas (two guncon 1 and one guncon 2). The black plastic was replaced with transparent green for the American version. The import black versions are fairly rare. They aren't really worth tracking down as they don't work very well. It's the same for those micro-Uzi guns made by the same people.

Where does the info come from on what Nintendo and Namco etc intended with the orange plastic? I never saw any official statement on the topic. If it's an assumption, it's as good as any but none of the possible answers make much sense.

If there had been a spike in kiddy murder by cop when light guns looked real, I could see some logic, but there wasn't. And.... The problem is far more likely with airsoft guns as they are made for use outside the house and don't have a large USB cable hanging out the back. And.... they still sell realistic (in color) toy guns which also only have the orange tip on the barrel.

It isn't a legal requirement either. Toy guns and airsoft are only required to have the orange tip barrel. I am going to assume that light guns are categorized as toys (in legal terms).

Also, it wasn't just home light guns. They changed arcade guns to bright colors in the early 90's. I assume they weren't worried that police would storm an arcade and shoot someone playing Time Crisis... The Japanese Crisis Zone cab has a black machine gun. The American cab got light blue....
Those arent the Hori guns you own then. The PS1 gun isnt plastic
There was no American version. Hori never made Uzi style lightguns.

Ok, well where does your info come from that Nintendo and Namco etc made guns bright colors to subdue kids urges to shoot up schools or whatever? What was this school violence you refer to that led to the manga styled NES Zapper - that was, what, 10+ years before the notorious Columbine murders?

Regarding your scenario of cops storming an arcade, I do recall a news report of cops storming a persons house because someone saw through the window that kids were pointing guns ...yeah, at their TV.

Edit: did some searching for that news story, but it was over a decade ago so...
But I did find these tragedies which would have been prevented if only all controllers were bright orange!

Kid killed by police after answering door with controller in his hand

Infant shoots self after mistaking real gun for Wii gun

Teen holding game controller shot by cop.

Fear of getting shot by police for holding video game controller
RIP-Felix

Post by RIP-Felix »

system11 wrote:Moved exceptionally stupid thread to off-topic.
..lol, I just wrote what amounted to an essay. An essay that would have yielded me an A in English or History and made my teacher proud. Then...

I deleted all of it.

The reason I came here was to have fun. I realized sometime after I was reading back over it that one, it got too real, and two, that's not what this thread was about to begin with. I just needed to get that out of my mind and a journal entry would have sufficed. That's a personal thing you all don't need to be bothered with. So it got the treatment I wish I could have given more sentences uttered by my mouth before my brain had a chance to complain.

Sorry OP for the alternate universe where I derailed your thread.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Koa Zo wrote:
Classicgamer wrote:

Those arent the Hori guns you own then. The PS1 gun isnt plastic
There was no American version. Hori never made Uzi style lightguns.

Ok, well where does your info come from that Nintendo and Namco etc made guns bright colors to subdue kids urges to shoot up schools or whatever? What was this school violence you refer to that led to the manga styled NES Zapper - that was, what, 10+ years before the notorious Columbine murders?

Regarding your scenario of cops storming an arcade, I do recall a news report of cops storming a persons house because someone saw through the window that kids were pointing guns ...yeah, at their TV.

Edit: did some searching for that news story, but it was over a decade ago so...
But I did find these tragedies which would have been prevented if only all controllers were bright orange!

Kid killed by police after answering door with controller in his hand

Infant shoots self after mistaking real gun for Wii gun

Teen holding game controller shot by cop.

Fear of getting shot by police for holding video game controller
It would be a stretch and a half to say any of those tragedies would have been averted by making light guns orange. Three of them had nothing to do with light guns. They are about the police shooting people who were holding regular game controllers. I.e. They saw someone holding a joypad and shot them. Then they claimed they thought the pad was a gun so they wouldn't get charged with murder.

The police seem to be able to say anything looked like a gun to justify killing innocent people these days. I am assuming that knowbody is seriously suggesting we ban all small black objects. So no more cell phones, joypads, remote controls, power tools etc. Or, that owning these things makes you fair game for target practice?

A more accurate headline would be "innocent people would be saved if police used due care and attention instead of a shoot first approach". One of the victims was literally asleep on the couch when he got shot...

The 4th one is pure BS. The person responsible for leaving their firearm where a child could find it is delusional if they think they can blame the Wii controller for the child getting shot. That headline should read "negligent parent charged with manslaughter after leaving toddler alone with firearm". The child was 3 and died so nobody knows if they mistook the firearm for anything, let alone a Wii gun. My son just turned 4. 3 and 4 year-Olds play with anything they find.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

RIP-Felix wrote:
system11 wrote:Moved exceptionally stupid thread to off-topic.
..lol, I just wrote what amounted to an essay. An essay that would have yielded me an A in English or History and made my teacher proud. Then...

I deleted all of it.

The reason I came here was to have fun. I realized sometime after I was reading back over it that one, it got too real, and two, that's not what this thread was about to begin with. I just needed to get that out of my mind and a journal entry would have sufficed. That's a personal thing you all don't need to be bothered with. So it got the treatment I wish I could have given more sentences uttered by my mouth before my brain had a chance to complain.

Sorry OP for the alternate universe where I derailed your thread.
Um, it's OK.

As a side, note, this is a video games discussion forum, not the UN. There is no requirement for topics to be serious. The better message might be for some people to stop taking themselves so seriously. So, if you had something you wanted to say, I wouldn't let a few negative people spoil your fun.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Don't turn mah guns gay (・`ω´・)
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Classicgamer wrote:
It would be a stretch and a half to say any of those tragedies would have been averted by making light guns orange. Three of them had nothing to do with light guns. They are about the police shooting people who were holding regular game controllers. I.e. They saw someone holding a joypad and shot them. Then they claimed they thought the pad was a gun so they wouldn't get charged with murder.

The police seem to be able to say anything looked like a gun to justify killing innocent people these days. I am assuming that knowbody is seriously suggesting we ban all small black objects. So no more cell phones, joypads, remote controls, power tools etc. Or, that owning these things makes you fair game for target practice?
I think you've led yourself to the obvious conclusion. All handheld items must be colored bright neon orange to prevent such future mishaps.