Does anyone here do all flashcarts/ROM loaders?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Windfish

Does anyone here do all flashcarts/ROM loaders?

Post by Windfish »

It is becoming very expensive for me to buy retro games in their original, physical forms. So I am thinking about resorting to flashcarts and ROM loaders. And my inclination toward uniformity leads me to wonder about doing this for ALL my consoles, from NES to Wii U.

So... if you use flashcarts/ROM loaders, what do you think? Do you have any regrets? Are there some games you can't play on them due to compatibility issues? What are some things you think I should know?

For some of the latter consoles, such as the GCN, Wii, and Wii U - will I need external storage? Or will big SD card do fine?
ldeveraux

Re: Does anyone here do all flashcarts/ROM loaders?

Post by ldeveraux »

Windfish wrote:It is becoming very expensive for me to buy retro games in their original, physical forms. So I am thinking about resorting to flashcarts and ROM loaders. And my inclination toward uniformity leads me to wonder about doing this for ALL my consoles, from NES to Wii U.

So... if you use flashcarts/ROM loaders, what do you think? Do you have any regrets? Are there some games you can't play on them due to compatibility issues? What are some things you think I should know?

For some of the latter consoles, such as the GCN, Wii, and Wii U - will I need external storage? Or will big SD card do fine?
These are pretty much the gold standard, and everybody loves them. They keep updating them, so older version can be had cheaper. The newest are very pricey though!
https://krikzz.com/store/

I have the TG16 Everdrive and it works perfectly, plays homebrews, etc.
Windfish

Post by Windfish »

^Are there any compatibility issues that you can think of? And how do you feel about not using the real deal? Does it feel less satisfying, somehow?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Yes, there is a certain lack of motivation towards games when not using the physical media. I don't feel quite the same sort of connectedness to a game when I don't own the cart.
shroom2k

Post by shroom2k »

When you have ALL the games easily available, it's more difficult to commit to beating any one particular game. But convenience and the 'pick up and play' factor for the flashcarts wins out.
Windfish

Post by Windfish »

I figured. The long-term savings is ridiculous, so I am willing to put up with the decreased sense of satisfaction, I think.

Question: it seems to be fairly straightforward to set things up for NES, SNES,N64, GB, GBC, and GBA - just buy a flashcart. But for GCN, Wii, and Wii U - things seems to get more complex.

GCN, for example. I have seen people use SD card loaders, but SDHCs are a no-go, and I doubt all the games you'd want to play could fit on a SDHC, anyway.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

It's not that the GCN is complex, throw XenoGC in there and then use a Swiss boot disc and use an SD loader for the games. Or skip the XenoGC and just set up SDML to auto-launch Swiss.

Swiss supports SDXC, so you can fit probably more than half the GameCube library on a pretty cheap 400 gig card.

The problem is that read speeds are lower than the optical drive. Random access is probably faster, so I haven't checked how much game load times are impacted, but FMVs can stutter.

If that's a problem, you can always burn mini DVDs for the games.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Guspaz wrote:The problem is that read speeds are lower than the optical drive. Random access is probably faster, so I haven't checked how much game load times are impacted, but FMVs can stutter.
It's much improved with the new read patches. Also, use NKit for saving space.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

I can't explain it, but I like the limited and visceral selection of choosing games from cartridges and putting them in the console. It also makes curating games and localized availability interesting between friends.

That said, as I got more into arcade games, my interest in console games took a nosedive, and for the most part, I'm okay with a flash cart for the consoles I still have.
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

I used to collect cartridges in the early aughts before it was trendy and prices were very keen. To me there was a component of fun in the mere search and hunt itself, flea markets, yard sales, even online trades. But I did play them too.

The weight of what I'd accumulated dawned on me when I had to move the collection and that's when I decided it was too much. I didn't own the games so much as they owned me. I was fussy over condition and the upswing in their value didn't really please me because replacement, if ever necessary, was not a responsibly viable option.

I have no issues selecting what to play with flash carts because I was not compelled to get everything when I did collect; there are a lot of crap games that aren't worth anyone's time. Having a full rom set at your disposal is nice but particular desires drive me towards particular titles and flash cartridges bridge the convenience of emulation's accessibility with original console hardware.

The only flaw that comes to mind with the N8 Everdrive is the sound emulation for certain special mapper games like Akumajou Densetsu are a little off, but maybe that was corrected since I haven't been paying attention for the past year or so? Gimmick was brought up to snuff nicely so the possibility is still there.
Austin

Post by Austin »

I used to think I finished games more often because there was some kind of magical phenomenon with handling physical versions of them. However--despite me not wanting to acknowledge it at the time--when I had a large physical collection I still had the same problem with committing to my games. There was too much choice and not enough time in the day enjoy it all fast enough. I don't have issues finishing games now via flash carts, as I learned to see it more as a mental hurdle I had to get over, and I mostly have.

I have consolidated a lot of my stuff down to flash carts and ODEs. These days I mainly buy games that are on current platforms, things that may not work on my current devices (for instance, Super FX games that don't function on my old Super Everdrive v2), the random personal favorite here and there that I just have to have complete, or games for older platforms that are harder or inconvenient to hack (like the Xbox 360).
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Windfish wrote: And how do you feel about not using the real deal? Does it feel less satisfying, somehow?
I don't know man, who really cares?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Windfish wrote: Do you have any regrets? Are there some games you can't play on them due to compatibility issues? What are some things you think I should know?

There should be no regrets as long as you know what each solution offers in advance.

Basically every flashcart, ODEs, or loader-type solution will have from one to a few to a large percentage of games that are not compatible fully, so this varies from system to system. If a game that really interests you happens to be incompatible, you can always just try to acquire the real thing for that particular case.

For later systems where games are large in size, external storage is certainly useful, but not required if you don't care to have full or large collections at the ready.
Kez

Post by Kez »

I have slowly been acquiring flashcarts/ODEs/softmods for pretty much every system. I have a decent sized game collection but honestly, I don't bother using them at all when I can just load it.

Being "paralyzed by choice" is totally a thing, but I have that problem even with the games I do own like on PC or PS4 where I have a bunch of games I bought and haven't played at all. The way I deal with it is self discipline, decide on a game I want to play and then dedicate my game time to it for at least a little while. Some games don't grab me and that's fine, but if I give them a good chance most of them do and I then commit to following them through to completion.

If you're not sure.. start with a system that's cheaper. DS flashcarts are super cheap, the Wii U and Wii, can be softmodded, (although an external HDD is useful), PS2 and original Xbox are also fairly simple and cheap.
it290

Post by it290 »

Bratwurst wrote:The only flaw that comes to mind with the N8 Everdrive is the sound emulation for certain special mapper games like Akumajou Densetsu are a little off, but maybe that was corrected since I haven't been paying attention for the past year or so? Gimmick was brought up to snuff nicely so the possibility is still there.
I have an N8 and an original AD cart. If you use Slamy's VRC6 mapper for the N8 audio is pretty damn close. Not 100%, but close enough that you're unlikely to notice the difference while playing or if you haven't played the real cart on original hardware extensively. I spent quite a bit of time last year swapping between the two carts (N8 w/saves for practice, FC cart for real runs) and there was never a point where the audio out of the N8 sounded 'off' to me.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Restart_Point

Post by Restart_Point »

If you want to know what owning a flash cart is like get a clone genesis everdrive from Aliexpress, they are only about £16 delivered and will play every official genesis/MD game except Virtua Racing. If you like using it get a real one like Krikkz if you don't like it you only spent £16
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

On my facebook groups I have one i'm a member of called "retro gaming group".

It consists of 95% raspberry pi guys who come up with 95million ways of playing roms, or should I say cracking stuff to play roms that they never play. Then there is the 5% like me, who actually own the real deal and actually play the games.

If you talk about playing the games, nobody joins in conversation. If you talk about Raspberry Pi in a box, then 26000 people join in the conversation.

I think the group is not about retro gaming. Its about cracking things and bragging about 10000 games on a box. We already have the minis out there, just put the ROMS on them. It looks like the real deal, it feels like the real deal.

I have no no idea why people are still building solutions for arcade and console roms in 2019.

Also, if you have that many roms, you could have access to the game you would consider your all time favourite, and not even know it.

And then, even after that.. You will need to find a new hobby. Because afterall, you OWN EVERYTHING straight away. You have no desire to pick anything up, you have no desire to want anything anymore.

I have about 200 games. They are games that i've got a nostalgia with. I would rather only own those 200 games, than 10000 I have zero connectivity with.

And then, I have some sort of weird fetish for Japanese artwork especially. Sometimes western as well. I can't enjoy that with ROMS.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

neorichieb1971 wrote:And then, I have some sort of weird fetish for Japanese artwork especially. Sometimes western as well. I can't enjoy that with ROMS.
You can add artkwork and a bunch of other stuff to your game list on any Raspberry Pi frontend :lol:

But yes your frustration with that group is understandable if you want to talk about a different topic than emulation on RBP. It can be a very good solution for certain systems where using the actual hardware is rather impractical, space-consuming, and expensive, such as arcade and old Japanese PCs. I personally would not use them for easy to find consoles.

And what do you do after you "own everything"? You start playing through some of the games! But some people definitely seem to enjoy hunting games more than actually playing them, which is fine too.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

fernan1234 wrote:
neorichieb1971 wrote:And then, I have some sort of weird fetish for Japanese artwork especially. Sometimes western as well. I can't enjoy that with ROMS.
You can add artkwork and a bunch of other stuff to your game list on any Raspberry Pi frontend :lol:

But yes your frustration with that group is understandable if you want to talk about a different topic than emulation on RBP. It can be a very good solution for certain systems where using the actual hardware is rather impractical, space-consuming, and expensive, such as arcade and old Japanese PCs. I personally would not use them for easy to find consoles.

And what do you do after you "own everything"? You start playing through some of the games! But some people definitely seem to enjoy hunting games more than actually playing them, which is fine too.

I can't decorate my gaming room with artwork shown on a GUI of a rom set program. If you look at collectors the main driving aspect is filling a room with nostalgia. But for me again that splits certain individuals because some people want everything or as much as they can get. I personally will get everything I owned before and branch out a little bit. I don't do facebook sales or massive lots of games because if I get 42 Megadrive games in one lot i'm probably causing myself to get into a lot of work selling stuff.

I want to do a retro gaming evening at my house. For that I Would love to use ROMS. 20+ people with grubby hands on my original gear doesn't fill me with calm and collective thoughts :lol:
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

neorichieb1971 wrote:On my facebook groups I have one i'm a member of called "retro gaming group".

It consists of 95% raspberry pi guys who come up with 95million ways of playing roms, or should I say cracking stuff to play roms that they never play. Then there is the 5% like me, who actually own the real deal and actually play the games.

If you talk about playing the games, nobody joins in conversation. If you talk about Raspberry Pi in a box, then 26000 people join in the conversation.

I think the group is not about retro gaming. Its about cracking things and bragging about 10000 games on a box. We already have the minis out there, just put the ROMS on them. It looks like the real deal, it feels like the real deal.

I have no no idea why people are still building solutions for arcade and console roms in 2019.

Also, if you have that many roms, you could have access to the game you would consider your all time favourite, and not even know it.

And then, even after that.. You will need to find a new hobby. Because afterall, you OWN EVERYTHING straight away. You have no desire to pick anything up, you have no desire to want anything anymore.

I have about 200 games. They are games that i've got a nostalgia with. I would rather only own those 200 games, than 10000 I have zero connectivity with.

And then, I have some sort of weird fetish for Japanese artwork especially. Sometimes western as well. I can't enjoy that with ROMS.
11/10 would read again.

I've seen a lot of this as well. I almost never play games emulated despite being able to. I enjoy the physical act of putting in the cart or disc. Same for watching movies. Having to pick and choose off a shelf or having to buy is much more pleasant for me than picking a file off a list.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I don't think having physical games incentivizes you to play games at all. Plenty of collectors who have tons of games that collect dust.

Obviously that's just a generalization, people are different, but I think most people who do want to play games are going to do so regardless of the setup, and most people who don't want to play games aren't going to do so regardless of setup.

Personally I'm for flash cartridges, there's thee reasons. First there's convenience (not having to swap cartridges), second there's not having to deal with failing save batteries, third there's the ability to play fan translations. I'm also for ODEs/HDD modding because optical drives are loud and slow.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

I think that is by and large true. People are either going to find time to play games or not. I know some big collectors that don't even like old games or games at all.
Listai

Post by Listai »

My entire setup is flash cart (or equivalent) only. I downsized to a small apartment a few years ago and had to sell off my physical collection. Even so I have no regrets, I'm not paying ridiculous aftermarket prices for things in dubious condition and I love the flashcarts that add modern QoL amenities to old hardware.
Spacemonkey

Post by Spacemonkey »

mikejmoffitt wrote:I can't explain it, but I like the limited and visceral selection of choosing games from cartridges and putting them in the console. It also makes curating games and localized availability interesting between friends.

That said, as I got more into arcade games, my interest in console games took a nosedive, and for the most part, I'm okay with a flash cart for the consoles I still have.
Same thing here, got into arcade boards and thought, why would I want to play all these console ports when I have/can get the PCBs.

Got rid of a bunch of console stuff.

It's nice to have the carts for the games I really like, a good thing about flash carts is that you can test out the games then decide if you want to spend money on the real deal. Being able to play fan translations etc. is great too.

On the Famicom/NES though, I am sure things improved, but things like playing FDS games on flash carts was not for me, I have a FDSstick and a Famicom disk drive and love it.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I don't need roms. Snesdrunk on YouTube will almost always have a review.

What are people playing roms on?

In 20 years time will you own 1 box that does all?

Do you now wait until a game is emulated before you want to try it?
gojira54

Post by gojira54 »

Mister is a fantastic replacement for systems and games, I've now sold off all of my SFC, famicom, neogeo & MD collections
Don't miss them AT ALL, decent holiday paid for with that money feels better than hoarding boxes any longer
Each to their own!