Switch NES/SNES eShop Controllers w/ 8bitdo?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
korpse413

Switch NES/SNES eShop Controllers w/ 8bitdo?

Post by korpse413 »

Can't seem to find this anywhere so the answer might just be a simple 'no' - do the new OEM Nintendo Club / eShop NES & SNES controllers pair to 8bitdo receivers?

I recently grabbed free months of Nintendo online and was trying to justify buying these. It would be sweet to play these 'Licensed by Nintendo' molded controllers on our old consoles - as well as on the Switch of course! One plus is I like the way the Switch looks with the NES controllers docked on the sides.

Plus there was drama about the 8bitdo Snes controllers dpad on their original model right?

If someone knows or could test this out it would be appreciated
thebigcheese

Re: Switch NES/SNES eShop Controllers w/ 8bitdo?

Post by thebigcheese »

The literature that came with mine says it only works with the Switch, so probably not. I don't have 8bitdo receivers to test with, though. I suppose it's possible they could work over USB like the Pro Controller does, though.

Even the SN30 Pro I have still has a pretty meh d-pad, complete with input inaccuracies. The Nintendo ones are much, much better in that regard, so it is a bit of a shame that they are Switch exclusives.
korpse413

Post by korpse413 »

What is the communication? Bluetooth? I remain optimistic since things like PS4 controllers can pair.

Someone with both should test for science!! :)
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

The 8bitdo retro receivers officially support the Switch joycons and Switch pro controller wirelessly, so while I can't guarantee it will work, it seems highly likely that the new SNES controllers will work with the retro receiver.
RIP-Felix

Post by RIP-Felix »

korpse413 wrote:Can't seem to find this anywhere so the answer might just be a simple 'no' - do the new OEM Nintendo Club / eShop NES & SNES controllers pair to 8bitdo receivers?

I recently grabbed free months of Nintendo online and was trying to justify buying these. It would be sweet to play these 'Licensed by Nintendo' molded controllers on our old consoles - as well as on the Switch of course! One plus is I like the way the Switch looks with the NES controllers docked on the sides.

Plus there was drama about the 8bitdo Snes controllers dpad on their original model right?

I think the FC & NES are. 8Bitdo added support for "NS FC Joyconn" and "NS NES Joyconn" in the latest Retro Reciever firmware. You can check here. Looks like they are supported for NES/SNES/PS classic, NES, SNES, and PC receivers. I don't see any NS SNES joyconn though. I imaging they will add it in eventually though, knowing them.

I have a SN30Pro and can confirm it's not the same. I just pulled out my Original controllers. My SNES controller is well worn and the pads are very mushy (the rubber pads need a dip in boiling water to renew the snap). My asciiPad feels good with newer snap. My SNES classic controller is new with the snappiest pads. The D-pads of all my 1st party OG controllers all feel identical to me, the only difference being the age of the rubber spring pad. If you press down in the middle of the d-pad, then rock your thumb, there is little rocking (like when there is a plastic piece hitting the PCB to prevent you from pressing all 4 buttons at once). You can rock it to depress the pads, but it's tight and right at to point of depressing rubber spring, without actually doing so. The 8Bitdo SF30 Pro controller rocks further, but not as bad as my 3rd party superpad by interact. However, it's about the same as my 1st party SF controller. I never noticed that before! The SN30 Pro feels about the same as the OG SNES controllers, but perhaps more "sticky". Both 8Bitdo controllers have more stiff/snappy buttons than even my new SNES Classic controller. I've never noticed that the Super famicom and the Super Nintendo had a different D-pad travel.

I've been playing with the 8Bitdo for a while now and have had a very satisfactory experience with it. I didn't even notice the difference until I read the above and decided to pull out my 1st party controllers. It never was immediately noticeable to me, but I hadn't played with an OG controller for quite some time before getting the SN30Pro. No, it's not the same, but it's pretty good IMO. I use it to emulate on my phone using the clip and that's totally worth it. I use 8BitDo's DIY PCB and the 1st party NES/SNES classic controllers for my consoles when I want wireless. Wired when I get to a tough section that requires better latency. Good performance, not as good as 2.4GHz, but adequate. OG controller for authenticity. Wired for performance.
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

korpse413 wrote:Can't seem to find this anywhere so the answer might just be a simple 'no' - do the new OEM Nintendo Club / eShop NES & SNES controllers pair to 8bitdo receivers?

nes works yes. be sure to update your receivers firmware to get it working. cant speak for snes but i dont see why the snes receiver wont be patched soon for compatibility.
also when using the fw updater, be mindful of where youre storing the files. i had to put it in the root of my c: drive to get it working.
anyway, yes the nes controllers work perfectly on my nes and you wont regret your purchase. personally ive went back to wired but at the time when i was using the eshop controllers, i was enjoying it very much
korpse413

Post by korpse413 »

MidOrFeed2015 wrote:

nes works yes. be sure to update your receivers firmware to get it working. cant speak for snes but i dont see why the snes receiver wont be patched soon for compatibility.
also when using the fw updater, be mindful of where youre storing the files. i had to put it in the root of my c: drive to get it working.
anyway, yes the nes controllers work perfectly on my nes and you wont regret your purchase. personally ive went back to wired but at the time when i was using the eshop controllers, i was enjoying it very much
Hey, thank you so much for confirming! Consider it a purchase for me!

Now to find out how I can order some of the Euro Super Fami versions of the SNES controllers....
korpse413

Post by korpse413 »

Hey guys, sorry for double post but as of today these are half off on the Nintendo store: https://store.nintendo.com/nintendo-ent ... llers.html

I'm glad I waited to buy these. Once they arrive I will test these out. Buy, buy, buy!
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Meanwhile, the SNES controllers remain out of stock, just like they have been every time I've checked since they were announced.