What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by BIL »

it290 wrote:Fight'n'Rage is hella fun. I'm loving the supremely visceral overkills and the satisfying feeling of pulling off a long combo. So far I'm having the most fun with the grappler character (although I wish his range were just a wee bit longer) and the ninja—haven't really delved into the female character as much yet. The game is a mite on the easy side but provides enough fun mixups and branching paths to keep things interesting. I also love the fact that you can fall cancel after being hit, which isn't something I've seen in a ton of brawlers.

My complaints are minor—namely that player damage is pretty unbalanced in spots (the raft level comes to mind—it's super easy to die here if you misjudge a button press, although I'm sure with more thoughtful spacing and grappling it's largely surmountable) and that the backgrounds are pretty uninspired and lack much of a sense of place, unlike the games that this one is paying tribute to where every arena feels like its own distinct place. Overall a superbly playable game, though.
Been on my radar since Hagane and Leviathan gave it their approval last year, was glad when the latter posted the console release in the NG thread recently! iconoclast's footage certainly looks the part. Liking the hybrid of cute Wonderswan-esque proportions and savagely violent impacts.

That CPS2-style bootup screen is good stuff too. Image
NYN

golden banana phone island

Post by NYN »

BulletMagnet wrote: The non-optional Wiimote shaking is, surprise surprise, incredibly stupid and has cost me a life or two, but that's honestly not my biggest complaint about the controls;
Well, if it's just a life or two it can't be that problematic. I'm at Returns 3D for 2/3DS atm. The promise of a brand new world got me there. And like Tropical Freeze the rolling of the apes are done with the mundane press of a button. Doesn't take from the experience, mind you, but I gotta say I miss it. So you see, there's remedy for that. For the DK/DD rolling-Kong-move it's just like mashing regularly. Don't know your stance 'bout motion control, but I found it soft enough to not bothering.
About Diddy: once you konguer normie mode, you're entitled to hard mode. DK only. And it's mirrored. Hope that's more up your field. Did my 200% and I'm looking forward to doing it again soon.
"I've transmuted into a super being. I'll proof it by killing you." -NGIII ( words to kill by )
BulletMagnet

Re: golden banana phone island

Post by BulletMagnet »

I recall playing the 3DS version briefly at a kiosk years ago; aside from the halved framerate, I remember there being two control options, one which used the analog stick and another that used the d-pad, and that the other buttons were scrambled around in a weird way for the latter for some unfathomable reason. Maybe my memory's just off, but I do remember the bugger not clicking with me.
Ronyn wrote:About Diddy: once you konguer normie mode, you're entitled to hard mode. DK only.
Hm, interesting. Don't know if I'm skilled enough to manage at half health, and despite its annoyances the lack of a jetpack would make landing certain jumps trickier, but the increased consistency would be nice.
NYN

do you know how to dk?

Post by NYN »

Ayuh. The 3DS controls. I started using default and felt comfortable without holding run to, uh, run. But then I came to the part where the apes go climbing. Holding a button for that felt off, since I played the Wii Returns sideways classic without the n-chuck. That makes me someone who rather holds the button like a monkey to run (and auto-cling) instead of holding a button to adhere to surfaces, I suppose. And it's much in line to Tropical Freeze. The hard mode there differs from Returns, but overall I think it's a good thing not to go the same ways in stepping up the challenge.
BulletMagnet wrote:Don't know if I'm skilled enough to manage at half health
You will know it once you go there. It's no-miss. One heart. You have to perfect it. There're checkpoints, though (except for K-levels). TMI? :lol:
"I've transmuted into a super being. I'll proof it by killing you." -NGIII ( words to kill by )
BulletMagnet

Re: do you know how to dk?

Post by BulletMagnet »

Ronyn wrote:It's no-miss. One heart. You have to perfect it.
Ah, so the proper designation is "gimped DK only". :P Well, let's see if I can even finish "Normal" mode first, heh.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

it290 wrote:Fight'n'Rage is hella fun. I'm loving the supremely visceral overkills and the satisfying feeling of pulling off a long combo. So far I'm having the most fun with the grappler character (although I wish his range were just a wee bit longer) and the ninja—haven't really delved into the female character as much yet. The game is a mite on the easy side but provides enough fun mixups and branching paths to keep things interesting. I also love the fact that you can fall cancel after being hit, which isn't something I've seen in a ton of brawlers.

My complaints are minor—namely that player damage is pretty unbalanced in spots (the raft level comes to mind—it's super easy to die here if you misjudge a button press, although I'm sure with more thoughtful spacing and grappling it's largely surmountable) and that the backgrounds are pretty uninspired and lack much of a sense of place, unlike the games that this one is paying tribute to where every arena feels like its own distinct place. Overall a superbly playable game, though.
The raft stage is quite daunting at first, but with a bit of practice it get a bit easier.

Was playing Fight'N Rage myself yesterday, and finished up Gal's trials getting the black belt. Only F. Norris left to do now, but I think I'll focus on Gal for a while longer. She's fun and has a lot of options, but she dies very quickly. Have to tech myself to play more hit and run against the bosses. Definitely very different to Ricardo, and that diversity is a good thing of course.

Not playing Double Dragon 2 (Arcade) as much as I would like, but I can now get to the combine on stage 3 on 1 credit (the jump timing kinda sucks tbh, but I'll practice it). Figured out a decent strategy on the stage 2 boss by knocking him down - move up (or down) and a little closer to him, and then before he gets level to me I can back elbow him or fly kick him. I've got him on the conveyor belt once, but didn't manage to keep him on it until he fell to his death. Could be an interesting strategy, and I'll explore it further.

Went to my local Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 tourney and sucked so bad. It was embarrassing. I was sick but...yeah. On the plus side, it has refocused me and I've kept my highest rank online for the longest period ever now. Feels like something has clicked and I'm playing much better and more consistent.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
NYN

guilty gear pleasure

Post by NYN »

Leviathan wrote:Went to my local Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 tourney and sucked so bad. It was embarrassing. I was sick but...yeah. On the plus side, it has refocused me and I've kept my highest rank online for the longest period ever now. Feels like something has clicked and I'm playing much better and more consistent.
Coming of rather kinky, but GG is a thing I like to watch for some time now. Mainly to get away from the staleness of SFV. I'm not too much into anime and the tropes but it feels spectacular. That :shock: character action and :twisted: soundtrack. It's wild. May I ask who you main?
BurlyHeart

Re: guilty gear pleasure

Post by BurlyHeart »

Ronyn wrote:
Leviathan wrote:Went to my local Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 tourney and sucked so bad. It was embarrassing. I was sick but...yeah. On the plus side, it has refocused me and I've kept my highest rank online for the longest period ever now. Feels like something has clicked and I'm playing much better and more consistent.
Coming of rather kinky, but GG is a thing I like to watch for some time now. Mainly to get away from the staleness of SFV. I'm not too much into anime and the tropes but it feels spectacular. That :shock: character action and :twisted: soundtrack. It's wild. May I ask who you main?
Potemkin main. He's the worst character in the game, so the struggle is real. But if you've ever watched a player called FAB, you would think the character is broken.

Yeah I agree it's a wild game with a killer soundtrack and design. I'm not much of an anime fan either. I came from playing Street Fighter all my life. Took a look at SFV and said 'nah'. I started GG with Xrd and, not gonna lie, it was a a struggle to transition with all the mechanics, but I've had so much fun.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
it290

Post by it290 »

Leviathan wrote: Was playing Fight'N Rage myself yesterday, and finished up Gal's trials getting the black belt. Only F. Norris left to do now, but I think I'll focus on Gal for a while longer. She's fun and has a lot of options, but she dies very quickly. Have to tech myself to play more hit and run against the bosses. Definitely very different to Ricardo, and that diversity is a good thing of course.
Yeah, having played a little more the raft stage is fairly easily manageable (I still struggle with not dying at least once on the boss, though). One aspect I don't like is how the character selection is how your character choice is basically a second difficulty option. Ricardo has probably the lowest skill ceiling and is far and away the tankiest character, F. Norris is more technical but is still fairly easy to clear the game with, and Gal is basically expert mode. Certainly I'm used to slightly unbalanced characters in a brawler, and these are perhaps a bit more balanced than most given that they all have a lot of potential, but having a grappler/tank like Ricardo who has no real downsides seems a bit suboptimal compared to, for example, SoR2's Max, who is considered by many to be the best character in that game but requires a degree of precision due to recovery frames. With all the cancel options in F'n'R, that's not really an issue. Granted, Ricardo is maybe a little more fun to use than Max (at least at first), but I suspect the lack of disadvantages hurts the character's long-term appeal.

The difference in character difficulty is also a weird choice for a multiplayer game where two players can't select the same character—if you're playing with three newbies, I think the Ricardo and F.Norris players will have a significant survivability advantage vs. the Gal player.

edit: also — do you feel hit and run is really the best strategy for Gal? To me it seems like it's more about getting an opening (F.Norris' slide kick is perfect for this) and then being able to extend a combo as long as possible. The seems to apply particularly to the latter half of the game where the bosses all counter normal throws but are vulnerable to command throws (not sure if Gal has all the options available in that situation). A three-hit combo to command throw finisher is of course fairly trivial damage wise, but if you can follow it up with a dash->combo->anti-air->air special or similar that opens up a lot of possibilities to deal damage without a lot of risk.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

it290 wrote:
Leviathan wrote: Was playing Fight'N Rage myself yesterday, and finished up Gal's trials getting the black belt. Only F. Norris left to do now, but I think I'll focus on Gal for a while longer. She's fun and has a lot of options, but she dies very quickly. Have to tech myself to play more hit and run against the bosses. Definitely very different to Ricardo, and that diversity is a good thing of course.
Yeah, having played a little more the raft stage is fairly easily manageable (I still struggle with not dying at least once on the boss, though). One aspect I don't like is how the character selection is how your character choice is basically a second difficulty option. Ricardo has probably the lowest skill ceiling and is far and away the tankiest character, F. Norris is more technical but is still fairly easy to clear the game with, and Gal is basically expert mode. Certainly I'm used to slightly unbalanced characters in a brawler, and these are perhaps a bit more balanced than most given that they all have a lot of potential, but having a grappler/tank like Ricardo who has no real downsides seems a bit suboptimal compared to, for example, SoR2's Max, who is considered by many to be the best character in that game but requires a degree of precision due to recovery frames. With all the cancel options in F'n'R, that's not really an issue. Granted, Ricardo is maybe a little more fun to use than Max (at least at first), but I suspect the lack of disadvantages hurts the character's long-term appeal.

The difference in character difficulty is also a weird choice for a multiplayer game where two players can't select the same character—if you're playing with three newbies, I think the Ricardo and F.Norris players will have a significant survivability advantage vs. the Gal player.

edit: also — do you feel hit and run is really the best strategy for Gal? To me it seems like it's more about getting an opening (F.Norris' slide kick is perfect for this) and then being able to extend a combo as long as possible. The seems to apply particularly to the latter half of the game where the bosses all counter normal throws but are vulnerable to command throws (not sure if Gal has all the options available in that situation). A three-hit combo to command throw finisher is of course fairly trivial damage wise, but if you can follow it up with a dash->combo->anti-air->air special or similar that opens up a lot of possibilities to deal damage without a lot of risk.
You're definitely right about that difficulty of the characters, though I do like how it is spread out. I still find Ricardo the most fun, but I tend to lean towards grapplers in most games.

The raft boss is the easiest in the game once you figure him out. He really only has two moves, and there's a pattern to which one he'll use. I usually die a few times during the rafter level, typically from jumping off the raft too often, especially when the fly guys are attacking. Still getting used to Gal's movement and options.

I think we're saying the same thing. When I say hit and run, I guess I mean stay out of harm's way and counter attack the boss when they're recovering from a move. She gets outraged by most characters but her movement is off the charts. Some bosses can be cheesed by spamming a throw against the wall, but others can't be thrown at all, such as Attary and the Final Boss. I guess I was just trying to convey taking less risks with her vs Ricardo, especially as her health depletes so fast.

Also just to clarify, I've barely played Gal and by no means an expert. Still Learning the ropes with her.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Speaking of beat 'em ups, I stumbled across a TMNT fan game. Looks interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPu6P3GOvE4
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Marc

Post by Marc »

Finally got around to picking up REsi 2. No complaints, they've got the atmosphere down, it's smooth, controls well, and it's all enjoyably visceral. The star of the show at the moment is the actual police station, it's one of the most impressive and coherent locations I've ever explored in a video game. I'm still in the minority that would have preferred a REmake style game, but it is what it is.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
ryu

Post by ryu »

Luminous Avenger X. Game's as fun as the Copen side of Gunvolt 2, but setting and plot are surprisingly thin. Feels like they didn't care to come up with a story for this and only made it because the Copen gameplay from GV2 was more popular than playing as Gunvolt.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Near the end of DKCR, and feelings on it are quite mixed; some levels have a nice flow and neat gimmicks to them, where you need to keep on your toes but can always tell what you need to do, while others are pure ha ha, screw you, prepare to lose life after life until you memorize and/or get lucky with this garbage. As I said before lives are easy to come by (I maxed out at 99 somewhere in world 4) and it's safe to say that the former type of level comfortably outnumbers the latter, but I'll be darned if the "screw you" levels don't cast one heck of a pall over the entire experience. Hopefully I'll be able to finish up, though offhand I doubt I'll be motivated to go shiny hunting or slog through hard mode.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Cadillacs & Dinosaurs (arcade) - Got a 1CC with Mustapha. Now I'm trying to get one with Mess. Out of all the bosses, Slice & the Slisaurs hold a truly special place on my shit list.

Trails of Cold Steel III (PS4) - Prologue completed on hard mode from the demo. Just hope they keep the same level of quality on the rest of the game's localisation.

Name That Tune (arcade) - This one is tough. Sometimes you get stumped, but occasionally the RNG will put a song out that you happen to recognize. I loved watching the game show on Family Channel (now called Freeform) in the mid-90s. Too bad this doesn't have the show's cool opening/closing credits music playing on the name entry screen (now there's a dream hack).
Kinect? KIN NOT.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

I played through Darsiders Warmastered Edition over the weekend, since I got it free via plus a few months back. My first impression of it was mostly just how cringy the entire concept and art style was (I would have loved this game so much when I was 12, but now...). I powered through and warmed up to it after a while, the story was actually mildly interesting by the end. Combat was a perfectly serviceable clone of GoW, mixed with light Zelda inspired dungeons. The puzzles really killed the pacing of the game for me though, most of them weren't clever, just time consuming, and by the time I had slogged my way to the "portal" dungeon I wanted to strangle the level designer in his sleep. Anyhow the game has some good moments and is certainly not bad, but it doesn't hold up very well in 2019.

I started up Darksiders 3 last night though and I'm really loving it as a light Platinum style combat game with Dark Souls inspired world structure. It's everything I wished the first game had been. I've read online many fans were disappointed with it but they have to be out of their damn minds, this one is hugely superior to the beloved original.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
NYN

banana peel me / sink my battleship

Post by NYN »

BulletMagnet wrote: ha ha, screw you, prepare to lose life after life until you memorize and/or get lucky
Got smacked in the face by 5-K Blast 'n Bounce. Not a chance getting lucky here. No Diddy, 'cept you start with the tag-team. Kept my cool, but I tought "Was it always that white-knuckle hard? How could I forget that?" Well, maybe to let go and move on? :lol:

Do you go K-level, BM? If not, have some. Give it a taste. I'll be here holding your spit bucket... :twisted:
Leviathan wrote: Potemkin main. He's the worst character in the game, so the struggle is real.
Certainly got a reputation. I remember 'Shine' from TSB. No matter win or lose other players still scoffed about it.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

The final boss took no fewer than 30 lives off of me, but I finally finished DKCR, and methinks I'll be moving on. For all the genuinely good stuff this game has to offer, the brick-wall memorizer areas and sometimes-niggly controls mean that whatever bonus content I access will just involve more bashing my head repeatedly against the game until it gives, and with the backlog I've got I'm seldom inclined to stick to a game like glue unless it's really hooked me. I've got Tropical Freeze laying around, I'll see how that one strikes me next time I'm in the mood for something along these lines.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

Torchlight 2 was on sale on GOG. It does work in Win2000 and has snazzy gfx, but aside from that it seems to be just as monotonous as the first game. I was thinking that by making a second game they must have improved it somehow, since otherwise I can't see any reason to make the first game over again, itself having been hour after hour of the same exact routine. They call it an action RPG but the action is just clicking on enemies until they die. Occasionally you may want to run around to avoid boss attacks, but since the control scheme is a mouse and one button that both moves and attacks, having to move around doesn't make it more fun just more tedious. The looting and equipment customization system could be fun, if it were not entirely constrained and pointless. All that time spent monkeying around to get slightly better stats doesn't allow you to conquer any particular challenge that you wouldn't otherwise be able to. And five minutes later you'll find better gear anyway.

Imagine if this game had real action and you were allowed to go to optional areas with enemies that were actually hard and sneak out some gear that wouldn't become obsolete after a few more levels.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

To me, there are only two ARPGs worth playing: Victor Vran and Shadow Warrior 2.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
it290

Post by it290 »

Got myself sucked into Fatal Labyrinth thanks to the MD Mini. I'd never really given this one a chance before because of its dire reputation back in the day. The game was clearly just totally misunderstood, it's a great little baby's-first-Roguelike that offers enough spice to keep the player interested. Great way to kill a bit of time, even though I probably won't be returning to it once I manage to conquer the labyrinth.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Mischief Maker wrote:To me, there are only two ARPGs worth playing: Victor Vran and Shadow Warrior 2.
Thanks for quoting those 2. I was waiting for Torchlight 2 to get a discount on the Switch, but reading the previous post and remembering how Diablo 3 fell short for me, now I'm greatly interested in Victor Vran.
Does VV has some "roguelike" elements, a.k.a. "I do not want to think about level design" elements ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Well I was being kind of facetious when naming those two games because they're more like action games with a Diablo-style loot system than actual Diablo clones.

Victor Vran is best described as "Bastion 2" with Diablo-style loot. The levels are hand-crafted, with the exception of a couple end-game dungeons. Like Bastion, every weapon has a technique to their use, whether it be a timing issue or a certain combination of its three moves, to maximize damage output. While it ain't devil may cry, this keeps the combat from devolving into the mind-numbing clickfests of regular diablo clones. You don't have a set class or permanent stats, your costume acts as your "class" and your fate cards (randomly generated loot like weapons) act as passive skills, and they can be switched in or out at will. Every level has 5 optional goals to complete and clearing them all requires frequent reshuffling of stats and equipment. Leveling in this game is more about unlocking gameplay mechanics than boosting stats, and while the enemies scale to your level, they do so by unlocking new powers instead of just boosting their HP and damage output. Like Bastion's "tonics" system, Victor Vran has optional "curses" you can toggle to increase the challenge and also increase the loot drop rate. Finally, like Bastion there is a "voice" that narrates your actions in the game, but it's got a decidedly different personality.

You can safely skip the Motorhead campaign, it's a failed attempt at doing Brutal Legend's humor and the way they bungled the sound design will actually make you start to hate Motorhead as you play. Fortunately the game doesn't shuffle any of the motorhead-themed items into the regular campaign. Unfortunately you shouldn't skip the Motorhead DLC because it includes several regular skills and items that fill some gaping holes in the original release's selection that can do things like make a "mage" build viable, for example.

Shadow Warrior 2 is an FPS in the Painkiller family with random gems you can plug into your weapons, special moves and permanent stats to unlock, and randomly generated levels (populated by LOTS AND LOTS of explosive barrels). Gameplay-wise it's better than Shadow Warrior 1, but the story isn't as good. As an ARPG it's less sophisticated than Victor Vran, but the amulet system does function like class somewhat and you can create a "build" around your chosen amulet as it would take several playthroughs to unlock the entire skill tree (and you can carry a character over from a lower to a higher difficulty ala. Diablo).

Be warned that while you may have 1337 5k331z when it comes to FPS, it's still advisable to start on normal difficulty or you'll find the enemies to be super bullet-spongey against your weak stats and equipment.

Although if you want an actual Diablo-clone, the best is Din's Legacy.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
guigui

Post by guigui »

Great write up MM, thank you. Now you have me sold on Victor Vran, and Bastion too. Bastion being at less than 3€ now on the eshop, I bought it immediatly, will seek VV at bargain price too.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

PlayStation DOOM: Master Edition

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/PlayStation_Do ... er_Edition

Kinda fun to be able to play all the missing levels and much more on ye olde PS1.

I was confused because instead of beginning with UD maps they throw you in what I believe is one of Romero's 25th anniverary maps, and from there I've landed in a (yuge) Xbox exclusive one, like WTF.

The wiki doesn't tell the maps order arrangement so it's all surprise, the game's still in Beta so maybe that's not definitive.
Anyway it's massive and a delight (assuming you like the style of that old port, personally I always did, don't mind the low tech and gamepad)
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
BIL

Post by BIL »

Developed a soft spot for PS1 DOOM in recent years, kind of a retroactive nostalgia I suppose - I had no chance of playing it when it was new, was stuck with the shitty 32X version. I just kept trudging on with my 386. :evil:

(edit: ok, the 32X one was Okay At The Time. Still h8 it though. :sad:)

Plays a solid game of joypad DOOM, cool atmosphere too with the lurid coloured lighting, moody ambience and those discomforting burning skies.

Only thing that put me off was those crash bugs associated with larger maps. Suburbs totally cockblocked me when I tried my favourite approach of alerting every monster in the stage before engineering LARGE-SCALE DEMONIC GANG WAR Image Image Mind, at least it's easy to avoid triggering. The 32X one crashes sometimes too for no apparent reason at all! "Malloc" these nuts! Image
Last edited by BIL on Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Yeah it's got its own vibe. I'm curious to see if that one will crash here and there too, guess it will because they've reintroduced nightmare difficulty.

I haven't read the entire thread over at DoomWorld but it seems there are still issues and not all levels have been ported yet.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
kitten

Post by kitten »

it290 wrote:Got myself sucked into Fatal Labyrinth thanks to the MD Mini. I'd never really given this one a chance before because of its dire reputation back in the day. The game was clearly just totally misunderstood, it's a great little baby's-first-Roguelike that offers enough spice to keep the player interested. Great way to kill a bit of time, even though I probably won't be returning to it once I manage to conquer the labyrinth.
^ hard agree with this! i really enjoyed fatal labyrinth and was baffled to discover its super negative reputation. have never gone back to it, either, but i was mighty satisfied with my clear and had a really good time with it. it's weird to me that even with a name like yasuhara (out of the sonic devs i guess people just fawn over yuji naka) attached, it's still most commonly considered extremely mediocre. not that i have much personal respect for the rest of his body of work, but everyone seems to love the sonic devs.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
null1024

Post by null1024 »

It's certainly not amazing... but I've seen people say it's actively bad, which is a bit surprising. It's just a pleasantly simple roguelike. No frills beyond having actual graphics. Gameplay is fairly streamlined.
Seriously, it's nowhere near bad.

However, it's a small downloadable game that got released on cartridge, so I guess I can see reason to complain. It's very, very simple.
How much would this game have cost when it come out, anyway [asking because a quick google isn't helping]?
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

There was also a similar game released to Fatal Labyrinth on GG and SMS named Dragon Crystal.