Die for the Camera -The Fatal Frame Thread-

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
JBC

Re: Die for the Camera -The Fatal Frame Thread-

Post by JBC »

Finished 3 earlier tonight. It's good, but frustratingly obtuse & requires backtracking the same bland environment throughout the entirety of the game. Unlike Himuro Mansion & All God's Village, I hate The Manor Of Sleep. It is effective to see the manor grow & change throughout the course of the game but damn it's boring. Still, I'm all in all glad I played through the game & am okay with the story it told.

I've just begun the patched version of IV & am liking the changes so far. Combat felt slightly awkward using the WiiMote + Nunchuk but I've adjusted quickly. The generational leap is apparent & welcome after beating 3 PS2 games back to back!
Godzilla was an inside job
NYN

I just try to stand over here

Post by NYN »

Girls Gone Ghostly.

Started and finished 2 Wii edition. First contact. Always late, never sorry. Enjoyed it. Going hard now. I kept underestimating it as a cocky rookie is prone to. Nah, ya don't scare me and I don't wanna save every few steps. That's bound to go south. Game over and learn. 'twas way in the late game that I discovered that the lenses are meant to be activated when the incorporeal face the birdie. I thought there were passive abilities. WRONG! Figured it out on my own in time for the dwellers lining up the way to the final boss. Don't mean to sound smug, but I beat that thing on first try and unscathed. Don't even sure what it does, exactly. Fatal Frame ftw!
WhatImageeven mean, though?!
JBC

Post by JBC »

Weird how negative my review of 3 seems up there. A few years on and I remember liking that game a lot more. Also I prefer the PS2 games over the later stuff, but the later stuff is still good in a different way. Hope we get a Fatal Frame 6 sometime soon.
Mero

Post by Mero »

By sheer coincidence, I bought the first one today for PS2 (as Project Zero). Don't know when I'll play it but probably fairly soon.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I beat the first game sometime last year. Fatal Frame 1 is genuinely creepy! I don't know if you have the English dub, but even if the voice work is not top-quality, I think the monotone dry delivery of the ghosts (perhaps due to lack of talent) adds a little to their other-worldliness. It's like they* had all the life sucked out of them, for real! I don't know how the Japanese original fares, but it's probably of higher caliber.

Voice acting aside, the game's story is pretty dark, which is the source of a lot of its overall mood and creepiness. Combat takes a lot of getting used to, and getting good ghost snapshots can be tough, but it becomes more natural as you go (and as you upgrade your camera). Only one or two late-game bosses can grate because of their speed and how you have to plant still to take a photo.

I have the sequel and still haven't played beyond 30min. I really ought to change that.

*the interns?
NYN

the dead pose

Post by NYN »

Marked this.

Which gets me to ask if someone got the new 4 remake and played it?
Does it now lean more to 5 or more to the first? I know it was originally developed by Grasshopper, so perhaps it was "corrected"?
Anyone?
WhatImageeven mean, though?!
JBC

Post by JBC »

4 was fantastic even in it's original form on Wii and it's even better now. Highly reccomend, may be my favorite.