Super Retro Cade

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
gbaplayer

Super Retro Cade

Post by gbaplayer »

Hello,

is anybody owning the Super Retro Cade? Opinions welcome.
Is it fully working as a consolized MAME machine?
What kind of AC adaptor/converter do i need to get when i want to operate this machine in Germany?

Thanks
gbaplayer
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo
ChurchOfSolipsism

Re: Super Retro Cade

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

I'm located in Gemany as well and I tried to get v1.1, which seems almost impossible in Europe (more on this later), so I had to make do with v1.0. All in all, it's ok I guess, but I can only talk about MAME emulation, I haven't tried any of the console emulators. CPS2 works alright, but many other games do not, the low frame rate made quite a few games (many of which came with the console) unplayable for me. The pads are surprisingly solid, not as good as the SNES pads, but not that far off. It has an SD card slot so adding games is easy.

v1.1 seems to have a lot better emulation and it also has more emulators, among else one for the PC Engine. I ordered one from the US, but the German customs wouldn't let me have it, stating that it lacks the appropriate CE marking, without which an electronic appliance can't be sold in the EU. You can hack v1.0, but you need Linux knowledge for this, which I lack. Hoped this helped.
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

Any help please?
it290

Post by it290 »

I thought the pads were pretty much unusable and had to swap them out straight off. The machine also doesn't have much horsepower as ChurchOfSolipsism mentions. Honestly, you're much better off getting one of the newer ODroids or Raspberry Pis—much better support and more muscle for more or less the same price.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

Yeah but I think it's a little difficult to use a pi. Maybe if there is a consolized one that would be nice. Otherwise I have the problem how to use the retro cade in Germany. Do I need a converter? I have on to use the PC engine duo r here, do you think it will also work?
it290

Post by it290 »

If you mean stepdown converter then yes it should work. Otherwise you should be able to source a power supply rather easily, it's a standard 5VDC 1A barrel plug type.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

I have this kind of converter (the silver one).
The black one is the adaptor of the Super Retro Cade.

https://imgur.com/a/UdYt4le

Can you tell me if i can use this one and use the console here in germany?
it290

Post by it290 »

Should work fine, yes.
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

Yeah it works, but is it not normal that it can play DonPachi and DoDonPachi flawless and older games like Truxton 2, Fireshark or Dragon Spirit only without Sound or totally slow with many graphic bugs and sound defects? :roll:
it290

Post by it290 »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ that's why I suggested a Pi or ODroid — the retro-cade is super hit or miss in terms of what works well on it and what doesn't.
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

Is ther any Pi setup available for directly play on TV?
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

Not as far as I know. There is a SCART Adapter for the Pi but getting it to run perfectly requires a huge amount of tinkering. If there was a plug and play solution I'd drop some serious cash.
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
it290

Post by it290 »

gbaplayer wrote:Is ther any Pi setup available for directly play on TV?
Assuming you're talking about HDMI then yes, it's built in, as is composite video.