Sturmwind - New DC Euroshmup by Duranik/redspotgames

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ciox

Re: Sturmwind - New DC Euroshmup by Duranik/redspotgames

Post by ciox »

I figure it's more of a memory problem than a CPU problem, huge pre-rendered bosses being displayed at 30fps instead of 60fps means you need half as much memory to store their animations
Enemy

Post by Enemy »

ciox wrote:I figure it's more of a memory problem than a CPU problem, huge pre-rendered bosses being displayed at 30fps instead of 60fps means you need half as much memory to store their animations

they don't look prerendered to me, they look like they are generated in 3d, or have I got that wrong?
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Enemy wrote:
ATTRACTS wrote:
Enemy wrote:just got this and played it, not sure if mentioned in a previous reply but not happy with the 30fps bosses.
lol, considering what they managed to pull off in terms of visuals on a 15+ year old system without a giant team of people working on it, I think you'll be ok.

Not sure i agree .. think from other games the dc is more than capable of running the whole game at 60fps
Other games made by bigger companies with more budget/better programmers at a time when they were a dime a dozen. 13 years later, not so much. Has nothing to do with what the system is capable of and more to do with what a tiny team could do with their time/resources.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Enemy wrote:Not locked at 30fps ... most of it is at 60fps just bosses are at 30fps .
Go play Giga Wing, then immediately jump over to Sturmwind, then try to tell me the entire game runs at 60fps. ;)
antron

Post by antron »

It seems to me that I cannot change the button layout with this game. I can choose a different one, but when I back out the first one remains yellow, and the game just uses the default.

I see others saying that the alternative ones are incorrect, but I can't even get them to persist when selected. Am I doing something wrong? I'm using a total control Saturn adapter that has every button mapped. The game recognizes it as a regular DC controller.
Enemy

Post by Enemy »

Austin wrote:
Enemy wrote:Not locked at 30fps ... most of it is at 60fps just bosses are at 30fps .
Go play Giga Wing, then immediately jump over to Sturmwind, then try to tell me the entire game runs at 60fps. ;)
I didn't say the entire game ran at 60, the scrolling and most of the enemies are at 60 ... , it seemed like just the bosses were at 30 but i will boot it back up and have another look though, I have only played the first 2 levels so unless you mean it drops after that
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

This game is great!

Also it is on sale right now at Play-Asia for $19 before shipping. Incredible deal imo.
Guardians Knight

Post by Guardians Knight »

I bought it on release - the super duper version with a frickin Kraken plush toy!
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Likewise. Paid for the regular but the sent me the LE. Thanks!

Still fun to fire up now and again when I want something light simply cause graphics and dat music.

Almost five years later I see it as flawed but still fun.
My lord, I have come for you.
Guardians Knight

Post by Guardians Knight »

Yeah it's not the best shooter but the presentation and item as a whole makes it worthwhile
louisg

Post by louisg »

Guardians Knight wrote:Yeah it's not the best shooter but the presentation and item as a whole makes it worthwhile
I fully agree. It depends what you're looking for, I guess. Sturmwind isn't the tightest game, but I always have a good time playing it. I think I like it because it's like a really good version of an Amiga shmup-- it has a lot of very cool demoscene-y touches, and it's beautiful to look at. The one thing I wish they had fixed is that I sometimes can't tell without trying whether I can fly through part of the background: the art is very lush but isn't always good at conveying what's solid and what's not.
Humans, think about what you have done
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

louisg wrote:The one thing I wish they had fixed is that I sometimes can't tell without trying whether I can fly through part of the background: the art is very lush but isn't always good at conveying what's solid and what's not.
Yeah, that was pretty much what I meant when I said flawed. It is so pretty though.
louisg

Post by louisg »

Stevens wrote:
louisg wrote:The one thing I wish they had fixed is that I sometimes can't tell without trying whether I can fly through part of the background: the art is very lush but isn't always good at conveying what's solid and what's not.
Yeah, that was pretty much what I meant when I said flawed. It is so pretty though.
I'd loooove it if someone made a game that has this style-- that sort of T-Zwei look-- but focused a lot on the gameplay as well.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Would have been an easy fix too - just had to program it so your bullets would collide with whatever you could collide with and problem solved.

All this Sturmwind talk kind of makes me want to play it.
louisg

Post by louisg »

Stevens wrote:Would have been an easy fix too - just had to program it so your bullets would collide with whatever you could collide with and problem solved.

All this Sturmwind talk kind of makes me want to play it.
Totally! It's killing me how they messed that up when so much else about the game is good.
kassj0peja

Post by kassj0peja »

That was unexpected. Sturmwind is coming to Steam in 3 days. Console versions will come later.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1087 ... VtkZc3kVYk
Austin

Post by Austin »

Yeah, that was definitely unexpected. Looks a lot smoother at 60fps now. With the higher resolution visuals as well, it may be easier to tell what's a background object and what's not, heh. I'll probably grab it.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

kassj0peja wrote:That was unexpected. Sturmwind is coming to Steam in 3 days. Console versions will come later.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1087 ... VtkZc3kVYk
It's out in two days and there's no mention of price or anything? Seems fishy.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:It's out in two days and there's no mention of price or anything? Seems fishy.
What do you mean by fishy? It's a game that's rather easy to port for PC, so it's probably more surprising that it took them so long.

Btw, does anyone have a source for the info about the upcoming console releases?
Edit: OK, found it. Switch version should be out in 3 - 4 weeks. There'll be also an Xbox version...but no PS4 :cry:
https://www.nexgam.de/forum/thread/9316 ... ost2435965
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

This is great news. Hopefully they fixed the few minor issues. Still great even if they didn't.
FRO

Post by FRO »

The new port definitely came out of nowhere, but when I saw the announcement on Twitter, I was happy to see it was getting life beyond the Dreamcast. As always, hoping for a physical Switch release :D
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

This guys got his hands on it somehow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT8lZHbEj7g

He has clearly never played it before, but I watched it and noticed a few new things:

He plays on easy so I'm not sure if any of this will spill into normal/hard modes.

- You get a full bomb stock on death
- Some enemies have been added on the 1st stage
- The bullets look WAY better now

Looking forward to seeing what else they changed. I will most likely pick it up particularly if they increased the difficulty. I still may even if they didn't - it does look stunning in 4K:D

Being stuck on the Dreamcast hasn't done it any favors, but a Steam release will finally get it to a wider audience.

It will never sniff top 25 or the HM list, but it definitely deserves to be suggested to people new to the genre.
kassj0peja

Post by kassj0peja »

It looks fantastic in the video. Never played it since I dont have a DC anymore but always liked the artstyle very much.

It is up now for only 10 euros. I am waiting for the Xbox One version.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

Spent around 2 hours with the Steam version. Wow, they really polished this one up. What a looker :D
I seriously dig the risk reward update system and severe punishment for overheating the beam weapon!
What I really dislike though are the botched control settings - keyboard controls are fixed!...barely playable. Setting up my retro-bit mega drive usb controller took some trial an error and the game doesn't recognize the shoulder buttons...
Too bad it doesn't come to PS4. This would be my platform of choice.
Tokyo-J

Sturmwind EX (Switch/XB1)

Post by Tokyo-J »

Sturmwind EX is coming to Switch and Xbox One November 8th

https://gematsu.com/2019/10/shoot-em-up ... november-8
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
kassj0peja

Post by kassj0peja »

It is now available on Xbox One and Switch.

Unfortunately it will probably never come to GOG.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Played it yesterday on Switch the first time and got to stage 6 or 7 but couldnt figure out how this boss has to be killed. The one with the ratating barrier things in the middle.

Really like it so far even if its nor every time clear what can kill you^^