Save the XP era doujin games!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Pixel_Outlaw

Re: Save the XP era doujin games!

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

Just one note gents, it looks like Google preserves the Google account name when you upload to the staging area folder.
Please be cautions when uploading legally questionable material. :!:
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Krushal wrote:Soeur {??}
That's La Soeur de Barrage by Tocoroten. Amazingly, the website for it is still up: http://www.tocoroten.net/soeur3/download.html
My 1CCs so I can find the list easier myself
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
Krushal

Post by Krushal »

Thanks. Difficult one to search for (and "War Machine", forget it).
List edited.
Free indie/doujin STGs: Download | List (incomplete)
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Krushal wrote:(and "War Machine", forget it)
Oh, that's WARMACHINE OVERLOAD by Dark Hell Company, who also made Psyche Metal the Bleeding. Which I know is freeware as well so I'm uploading it.
My 1CCs so I can find the list easier myself
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

I think I still have a couple of DVD worth of free doujin games dating back from Shoot the Core (rip) era, old Vector (2007-2008) all the way to current era Vector and Freem as well as other sites, I'll see if I can and upload them when I have free time.

update: Added two games to staging (GalaX and free version of EndEffector)

update2: Added many more games to staging. Perhaps it's a good idea to include author/developer name in folder name for easier identification/reverse search
donluca

Post by donluca »

I think that a convention like

Game Name (Author)

is fine. Should be fine for indexing purposes as well.
Krushal

Post by Krushal »

Gespenst wrote:Perhaps it's a good idea to include author/developer name in folder name for easier identification/reverse search
The problem now, I think, is just the amount of time any major re-working of the drive would take (even typing up that list took a while). An unfortunate side-effect of the thread's success. I get the impression Pixel_Outlaw is a busy person. Not everyone has the amount of free time that I (currently) have. :|

Might take me a few days to include the next batch in the list...
Last edited by Krushal on Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
donluca

Post by donluca »

You might want to migrate from Google Drive to something else to enable a more "safe" and handier collaboration environment.

I was thinking github, I've seen people using it as a repo for files instead of the classic code.
Krushal

Post by Krushal »

That might work, but my one concern is whether that might make it too easy for people to upload copyrighted material. All it would take is one careless mistake to ruin this project. Having a curator seems like an important component. Not everyone is as careful as you've all been 'til now.
donluca

Post by donluca »

Speaking from the experience of having a project of my own which has been rolling for 9 years and works in a very grey area which is "archiving" (and freely sharing) Mega Drive soundtracks, let me tell you that it's not as black and white as it seems.

Sure, someone might mess up and upload a copyrighted game, but the chances that the author notices/people downloads it before a curator notices it and removes it are pretty slim, to say the least.

Just make sure you have a good, reliable group of people co-operating and, most importantly, communicating so that someone's always keeping an eye open and you're gonna be 100% fine.

The 16-bit Audiophile Project is part of the Classic Gamer network which unfortunately never really took off, but if want you might want to be some kind of partner and I'll gladly see what I can do to help you out.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

KennyMan666 wrote: So, anyway, this is what I still have, that aren't on the Drive already. At least I think these are all shmups. Also haven't checked the websites for them or such. Any requests, and any instant "that's not freeware"? EDIT: Anything I find to not be freeware or that's already been uploaded will be removed from the list, will start checking the status of them myself too.
Spoiler
Zoldiras

I'd like to request this, though not sure if it's considered freeware at this point, to be honest. The authors no longer exist as such, if that counts.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

http://pcstg.s59.xrea.com/

Found a site archiving 2ch's list of free/shareware shmups. This may come in very handy at finding doujin shmup titles/authors.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

I remember playing a really cool freeware doujin years ago. It was clearly based on Kamui/Reflex. You had a power meter and your shot would usually go in all directions. You could also do a big beam by using the meter. The ship was red I think, and the bosses had names like Harp and Trident if I remember correctly.

Was pretty cool. Sadly the game was lost when I swapped PCs.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

I remember playing a really cool freeware doujin years ago. It was clearly based on Kamui/Reflex. You had a power meter and your shot would usually go in all directions. You could also do a big beam by using the meter. The ship was red I think, and the bosses had names like Harp and Trident if I remember correctly.

Was pretty cool. Sadly the game was lost when I swapped PCs.
That sounds like Red Killer

http://www.idealsoftblog.it/2010/04/red ... tutto.html

I think I have it backed up, will upload it this weekend.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

I've uploaded both Akamine/Red Killer -2nd Age- and a trial version of its supposed sequel (remake?) Red Killer Origin's Saga, the latter has been put under indefinite hiatus since 2017 though.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Interestingly, I don't actually see them in the staging folder.

Never heard of the sequel either. Gotta check it out!
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

It's under Akamine -2nd Age- and Akamine -Origin's Saga- folder
PerishedFraud ឵឵

̶W̶o̶w̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶m̶a̶s̶s̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶e̶b̶ ̶

Thanks, that sequel is actually pretty good!
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

I've uploaded some more rare catches like V.I.O and Aqua Cube

Currently uploading Hello World Project (Jumpei Isshiki)'s games like Score Soldier 2004 and Made In Wired but I don't think I have all his games, moreover Wayback Machine doesn't archive his website. Can anyone help me tracking the rest of his games?
donluca

Post by donluca »

Gespenst wrote:I've uploaded some more rare catches like V.I.O and Aqua Cube

Currently uploading Hello World Project (Jumpei Isshiki)'s games like Score Soldier 2004 and Made In Wired but I don't think I have all his games, moreover Wayback Machine doesn't archive his website. Can anyone help me tracking the rest of his games?
If someone can make a list of known missing games I can definitely try hunting them down from time to time.
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

Moved the games over.
Unfortunately, the hot anime girl is in Staging Folder purgatory. :twisted:
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Pixel_Outlaw wrote:Moved the games over.
Unfortunately, the hot anime girl is in Staging Folder purgatory. :twisted:
If you have spare time can you check the main repository for possible duplicate games? I see some games have been reuploaded twice (Val & Rick, Flew Fighter, Volcabamba, Xaglogian, Minishooter RS Delta)
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Most of these are in the "XP" folder. May want to put the games out of it so they're easily visible. :lol:
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

I've uploaded all free shmups I have to Staging.
donluca

Post by donluca »

This is going to be a very useful resource.

I think it might deserve its own website with a page of each game with some screenshots and maybe a short video, just to make it more easily browsable and, most importantly, indexed by google.

I'm always open to offer some space of my own with its own sub-domain if anyone's up to take the challenge.

Screenshots on imgur (with an account so they don't get deleted), videos on youtube, downloads on Google Drive and a link to this forum/thread for discussion.

It might be pretty rad.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

If anyone has the most recent version of Tori Tatsu 2 (v0.89), please upload it to Staging because I only can find an older version at Vector and the link on author's page redirects to dead file sharing site.
floralcateyes

Post by floralcateyes »

Edit: A user requested links to Vacant Ark but deleted his post before my reply got published. Leaving this here for ease of access though, just in case anyone else is looking for that particular game and its dev.

Here's the full screen version: https://www.vector.co.jp/soft/win95/game/se396826.html

And here's the windowed version: https://www.axfc.net/u/2922930.zip

Both downloads still work, thankfully. As a bonus, have a link the games index page on the dev's site: http://kerubin.web.fc2.com/game.html

(First post, hopefully the fact that it's full of weird links doesn't get me tagged as a spambot lol)
donluca

Post by donluca »

Kapolab has said in his thread that he's ok with having his games in the archive, so you can move them from the staging folder to the main archive.
guyot

Post by guyot »

Do you have this one:

http://kijibato.tea-nifty.com/blog/2012 ... -3b3f.html

Still available from the author for now.