Darius (Genesis / Megadrive Mini)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Tokyo-J

Darius (Genesis / Megadrive Mini)

Post by Tokyo-J »

The Megadrive / Sega Genesis Mini will include a Port of Darius by M2. This game was never originally released for the Genesis so this is technically a new title.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/6/4/186516 ... list-sonic

Screenshots

https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/n ... zbTdNV1Tm8
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
MrJBRPG

Re: Darius (Genesis / Megadrive Mini)

Post by MrJBRPG »

That actually seems to be a very nice port based on the megadrive constraints. Like Darius II for megadrive, Proco is default, and Tiat is enhanced weapons for beginners. The sounds are very close to being 1-1.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

New to JP and US consoles, eh? I wonder if this is an old unreleased ROM that was found or if M2 actually took the time to develop a whole new port?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I brought this up first in the Darius love thread. It started as a hobbyist project of a Japanese coder/hacker to see if he could port Darius to the MD. I guess some folks higher up were impressed!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I have a feeling that this was the reason the videos of the MD Darius homebrew were taken down. I'm leaning more towards the JP mini since it has Slap Fight MD and Snow Bros. in it.
Domino

Post by Domino »

BrianC wrote:I have a feeling that this was the reason the videos of the MD Darius homebrew were taken down. I'm leaning more towards the JP mini since it has Slap Fight MD and Snow Bros. in it.
This. Also, this is the first time since the Saturn days that the Toaplan IP issue has been resolved where we can see more Toaplan releases now. I never expected in a million years of a rerelease of Slap Fight MD.

So MD Tetris is being re ported to MD per GSK, Darius I remaded for MD, and some really $$$ games are coming out for the MD Mini. It's just a ROM box but I can't say no to it.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

That's me buying an MD Mini, then. I was gutted when the footage of Hidecade's astonishing port disappeared from public view, as if hit with legal action. To know the work will not only see the light of day but reach a sizeable audience is incredibly uplifting.

Edit: ah, it seems this is a totally new port by M2?
Last edited by Klatrymadon on Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Klatrymadon wrote:That's me buying an MD Mini, then. I was gutted when the footage of Hidecade's astonishing port disappeared from public view, as if hit with legal action. To know the work will not only see the light of day but reach a sizeable audience is incredibly uplifting.
I am happy it has made it out as well. Looking forward to my Genesis Mini more than I ever did the NES or SNES Classic.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I might go for the Asia MD mini. It has a very solid lineup that keeps the toaplan games and includes Alien Soldier and Castle of Illusion.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

I know this'll sound completely nerdy but I get a boner that Sega's Tetris is in there. You know, the one that for years Sega didn't even list in the MD's official software catalogue.

is the lineup definitive and complete for all three regions?
X - P - B
Domino

Post by Domino »

BrianC wrote:I might go for the Asia MD mini. It has a very solid lineup that keeps the toaplan games and includes Alien Soldier and Castle of Illusion.
This is the way to go. I have a feeling that the Asia release will have a English system menu, and them having more of the English friendly titles might say that they aren't going to translate too many titles (or they will have JP/EN mode in all the games I believe).

I waned the two controller set but the Retro-Bit MD controllers will work on them per Sega (and I like them a lot).
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Turrican wrote:I know this'll sound completely nerdy but I get a boner that Sega's Tetris is in there. You know, the one that for years Sega didn't even list in the MD's official software catalogue.
I have played the game via everdrive and emulation and it's a bit disappointing with laggy (due to the game itself) controls. However, the version in the Genesis Mini is a brand new port based on the superior AC version, so I'm still excited for it. One thing that's crazy is that someone actually hacked a homebrew Tetris into the original Sonic the Hedgehog.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

I am losing count on just how many of these are going to be. :?

Are they shipping in every region with a 6B pad? or just in the US/EU due to the presence of SFII'p?
BrianC wrote:I have played the game via everdrive and emulation and it's a bit disappointing with laggy (due to the game itself) controls. However, the version in the Genesis Mini is a brand new port based on the superior AC version, so I'm still excited for it. One thing that's crazy is that someone actually hacked a homebrew Tetris into the original Sonic the Hedgehog.
Yeah the port is new, but the cover used, and the middle finger message is crystal clear :lol:

Also of interest is that they're including what seems to be a selection from the Game no Kanzume. Flicky and Teddy Boy Blues are always welcome. :)
X - P - B
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Turrican wrote: Are they shipping in every region with a 6B pad? or just in the US/EU due to the presence of SFII'p?
Only Japan and Asia region MD mini. US Genesis/EU MD/Asia Genesis come with 3 button pads. Asia is getting both a MD and Genesis mini (with a handful of different games on the Asia MD Mini. Asian site likes to the US site for the Genesis mini). Retro-bit pads work with them, though. The JP site advertises a couple Buffalo brand USB-hubs and controllers working with it.

I was going to go for the Asian version of the MD mini, but it already sold out at play-asia, so I pre-ordered the JP version instead. It still has a nice set of games and there are a couple of good ones missing from the other MD minis like YuYu Hakusho and Dynamite Headdy.

I don't get the logic behind the included pads myself. JP 6 button pads are harder to come by than their US counterparts and they also had the 3 button pad packed in with MD system bundles. Not to mention there are actually a couple 6 button games that aren't on the JP or Asia MD Mini (Eternal Champions and Shinobi 3 (hidden)).

From what I read of a translation on the asia.sega.com/mdmini/cht site, it sounds like all versions of the MD/Genesis mini will have multiple menu languages (including English), but only games that support English will be played in English. The MD/Genesis mini is also officially stuck with the built in lineup.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

So, any hands-on experiences from forum members?

Seems that not even M2 was able to pull It off this time:

https://youtu.be/eZ2pl-cEq0g

Sound lag, lousy scanline filter, issues displaying both the 320 and 256 games...
X - P - B
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Just watching some footage of a full run through it here. Everything seems to look, sound and feel right. It's a phenomenal achievement, so I really hope the experience isn't too marred by the issues mentioned above...

Nice to see Tough Spring is in there, too. This means at least some of the content from the PC Engine versions has made it over - hopefully most of the Super Darius boss roster.

Edit: ah, there are 26 bosses, so it is the full Super Darius team. :)
Last edited by Klatrymadon on Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I was watching specifically to see if My Home Daddy is in there, and he is! It seems like even a few bosses from Darius II and Syvalion (!!!) made the cut. AND boss rush has its own special ending that calls back to G-Darius?? What an incredible job.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

I noticed one really big change from the original: no checkpoints and no power down at death. I'm definitely in full support of that.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I got my Asian MD Mini in today and I'm enjoying it so far. Toaplan mode in Slap Fight still works and both of the new ports are solid. I also like the feel of the 6B controllers. Retrobit's official Genesis controllers work great on it too. I was underwhelmed by the graphics options (especially the CRT filter), but the default setting looks nice. I also got a little mini Sonic cart with it. I find it interesting that choosing Fatal Labyrinth or Flicky in Game no Kanzume plays the US versions of the games when the system is set to English. AFAIK, the US versions are not on the actual Game no Kanzume cart and the game rom doesn't like flash carts and some emulators (though the separate versions of the games work fine).
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

ACSeraph wrote:no power down at death. I'm definitely in full support of that.
Nice, but I hope you can alter this via options?

@ BrianC: so even the asian one has English variants of all its titles? MWIV also?
X - P - B
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

BrianC wrote:I got my Asian MD Mini in today and I'm enjoying it so far. Toaplan mode in Slap Fight still works and both of the new ports are solid. I also like the feel of the 6B controllers. Retrobit's official Genesis controllers work great on it too. I was underwhelmed by the graphics options (especially the CRT filter), but the default setting looks nice. I also got a little mini Sonic cart with it. I find it interesting that choosing Fatal Labyrinth or Flicky in Game no Kanzume plays the US versions of the games when the system is set to English. AFAIK, the US versions are not on the actual Game no Kanzume cart and the game rom doesn't like flash carts and some emulators (though the separate versions of the games work fine).
Interesting, does Assault Suit Leynos boot up as Target Earth? It's absent from the Western versions but wondering if it's one that originally had all regions on cart so it sneaks pn here.

Forgot this had Slap Fight MD as well, might have to go Asia - it's mobile phone charger-esque USB power isn't it, so it's agnostic to your AC mains right? Bloody 240 v mains!
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

What's a good place to order the Asia version? I have a Euro one pre-ordered but am in two minds about whether or not I need Slap Fight and the others (I think I do).
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

BrianC: Do you detect any input lag on the MD Mini?

Klatrymadon: Try play-asia.com. I'm going to go there and pick one up myself soon.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Turrican wrote: @ BrianC: so even the asian one has English variants of all its titles? MWIV also?
The Asian one has the US versions of most titles that have them (even for games that don't have the English version on cart), Wrestleball being an exception. MWIV has the same translation that was used in the VC and 360 M2 collection versions. Tant-R, Puyo Puyo 2 (Puyo Puyo 1 is replaced by Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine when the language is set to English), the Games Can games that weren't released in the US or EU (Flicky and Fatal Labyrinth play as the English versions with the language set to English, despite the actual Games Can cart most likely only having the JP versions), and Langrisser 2 were left untranslated. Assault Suit Leynos plays as Target Earth in English mode. Telling from the JP website, even the JP mini has the language option, so that should have Target Earth included as well.
Martinov wrote:BrianC: Do you detect any input lag on the MD Mini?
Not that I noticed, but I heard that it has a similar amount to the NES and SNES minis. From what I tested on PC (which probably isn't the most comprehensive. I just pressed buttons on two different controllers at the same time) input lag on the 6 button controllers when used on PC seems to be close to that of the retro bit Genesis pads. I don't have an actual JP 6 button to compare, but the MD Mini 6 buttons have a nice feel to them and don't press down in the middle.

edit: I was mistaken with Games Can. I tried Sik's patch (the game does something odd with ram and doesn't work normally) from the Sega 16 forums on the Mega Everdrive and both Flicky and Fatal Labyrinth play as the US versions when the system language is set to English.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

One thing I noticed with the MD Mini is that the English mode of the JP version plays instead of the EU version when the language is set to English or a EU language like Spanish. The JP version has a big Sunsoft logo and more Engrishy text.

I'm enjoying the port of Darius so far. I wouldn't recommend the MD Mini over the Mega SG or real hardware, but it was worth it for the nice selection, new ports, and excellent controllers.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

BrianC wrote:One thing I noticed with the MD Mini is that the English mode of the JP version plays instead of the EU version when the language is set to English or a EU language like Spanish.
I'm not sure to understand what you mean. :?:
X - P - B
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Turrican wrote:
BrianC wrote:One thing I noticed with the MD Mini is that the English mode of the JP version plays instead of the EU version when the language is set to English or a EU language like Spanish.
I'm not sure to understand what you mean. :?:
The JP cart of Super Fantasy Zone isn't region locked and plays in English on the US Genesis or MD. The EU cart of Super Fantasy Zone runs at the same speed of the JP version and has a cleaned up translation with much less Engrish. Despite using the artwork from the EU cart, the ROM is from the JP version of the game on the MD Mini, only set to English as if played on a US or EU system when the language of the MD Mini is set to English or a European language. The two tells that it's the JP version and not the EU are the bigger Sunsoft logo and the Engrish text. At least the Mini has the version where Opa-Opa sets out to "Revenge" his father's murder.

TCRF page on Super Fantasy Zone
it290

Post by it290 »

I'm loving the feel of this port. Fast, furious, and it saves your scores too. Between this and the enhanced version of Tetris (although I'll be honest, I still don't really consider Sega Tetris playable) , Sega/M2 went the extra mile.
Last edited by it290 on Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I picked my Mini up today. Darius was obviously the main draw, and it hasn't disappointed. It's the most exhaustive port of the game we've ever had, and at this point essentially the definitive home version, showing an unprecedented level of faithfulness to the source material for a pre-Saturn/PS1 conversion - it feels like it shouldn't be possible on the console. I'm heartbroken at the general lack of understanding of how unlikely and special this is!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I was surprised M2 got Game no Kanzume Otoukyu working. The ROM has a hard time with some emulators and most flashcarts. There is a patch to get it working on the Everdrive V2/X7 from Sik on the sega-16 forums, who was also responsible for the awesome SGDK that Darius was programmed in.