(WIP) FUSION: Project Razor

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.

Interested?

Yes!
50%
No...
50%

Total votes: 2

Blindminds

(WIP) FUSION: Project Razor

Post by Blindminds »

Been developing this for about 3 months now. Right now I am to a point where I have the movement and weapons mechanics well underway (albeit some bugs to work out). I put together a quick random spawn using 3d primitives for targets for testing and took a short video. Looking to get feedback on level of interest for the game to see if I should continue development and possibly start a kickstarter for funding.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue8915qI9Oc

The Mechanics:
Movement is zero gravity physics based. Powered by a Fusion Reactor and an engine which utilizes the plasma from the reactor for thrust. Calculations are based on reality using specific impulse. Depending on the thrust output and efficiency of the engines (Upgradable) will determine the rate of movement and mass consumed for thrust. Movement restrictions is based on human tolerances for high-G's. I created a "G-Burst" move which allows the player to perform high-G maneuvers with 4 in-game switchable modes. A Flat Constant G Acceleration, An accelerated G burst, a max G acceleration Burst and a final version which is the same as the latter except when released oposing force calculated for thrust to stop ship. Bursting uses large quantities of mass to produce the large amounts of thrust. You will also have a control to produce the correct thrust vector to stop your movement at max G acceleration at anytime.

Collecting mass will be iportant as you can use up your 8,000kg Mass Storage pretty quickly bursting a lot. When enemies are destroyed they will drop mass particles accordin to their mass value/HP. You will be able to use the ships "Mass Condenser" to collect the mass particles and restore your mass storage. Unfortunately, using the condenser requires all available energy output from the reactor, so no thrusting or weapons fire while collecting and condensing mass!

There will be 4 weapon slots available on the ship, and I hope to have a large variety of weapons to equip as the user chooses for each level. Each weapon also has 3 firing modes, dynamically selectable in-game. Weapons such as homing missiles will not only have firing modes, but some of those firing modes will be alternate targeting modes, such as targeting weaker enemies first, stongest enemies or closest ect. Not only that, but Iplan on having targeting computer upgrades which will allow your weapon system to calculate the numberof missiles neededto destroy each target and assign enemy targets accordingly.

Weapon systems will consume energy and mass. A Rapid Rate Fabricator will allow you to rebuild your missile/bomb/mine ammo with varying fabrication rates. Weapons will auto-charge, and the charge quantity will be able to be upgraded on weapon systems. The more often you shoot, the less power your shots will have. In the case of some weapons such as lasers, the charge will determine the length of time for activation. Equipping powerful weapons with a weak reactor will result in slow weapon charge times. Or you can equip weaker weapons with a stronger reactor and lay down a relentless non-stop fire of everything at once.

Let me know what think of what you can see (I know, its not mucjh) from the video and the concept. Would like to know how many are interested and the level of interest to determine if I should continue development.

Thank you!
Blindminds

Re: (WIP) FUSION: Project Razor

Post by Blindminds »

Worked on level mechanics today, getting realistic planetary orbits, with realistic velocities affecting planetary rotation as well as realistic planetary sizing. Cheasy graphics as place holders but high res version to replace in final. Next up I will be working on some camera mechanics. Stay tuned!

https://youtu.be/NIUtdLT-oZs

Did some more tweaking of this. Created an extremely basic procedural generator for spawning the rings, giving them a random but limited height offset and adjusting the distance between rings to account for estimated player velocity. Added a basic timer and info on player HUD showing relative velocity (Relative to start velocity which would be about 7668.55 meters/second for an earth orbit of 400km) and info for your current G's and G Acceleration Rate (When Bursting). I hope I can have something finished to the point where I can have a free download for players to get a taste of the feel of the movement mecanics and possibly shoot some targets wit the 4 weapons I have done so far.

https://youtu.be/-_P5--YHstI

https://youtu.be/9iS8BH11BKg
Blindminds

Post by Blindminds »

Played around with level creation and made a quick and dirty test experimental level utilizing the free assets with Epic's Infiltrator Demo to create a quick and dirty city background to see what could be possible in amounts of detail and graphics for levels.

https://youtu.be/M6dxpsseGyo
Blindminds

Post by Blindminds »

Started working on development for Atmospheric Flight Level Mechanics and weapons. Would like to have a Futuristic Jet for Planetary Missions and the other ship for Space missions. Finished a Vulcan Cannon shooting 100 rounds per second (Tracers every 5 rounds) and homing missiles (Which don't yet home in )

https://youtu.be/X-KtssLecnk
Blindminds

Post by Blindminds »

Worked on a couple more Atmospheric Weapons - Cluster Bomb and Ground Missile (Which will be homing later on). Also made some tweaks to previous weapons and effects.

https://youtu.be/ZCA8CO7Byes
Blindminds

Post by Blindminds »

Video of modeling the Atmospheric Fighter Jet

There are 3 other timelapse videos that took place in the creation process on my you tube channel.

https://youtu.be/x-2qFyPw5wk

Been working on some modeling and concept for the Fusion Atmospheric Fighter. It has been kind of slow going as I decided to use Blendre 2.8, and as great as Blender is and could be, it is EXTREMELY unintuitive....to the point I would almost wonder if the developers have ever used a computer before as the program veers far away from traditional UI shortcuts etc. and behaviors for 3D modeling that I am accustomd too. That a side, after a long hard struggle, I am getting to like it. Esspecially since it's free. I have a few time lapse videos posted of the modeling and creation process. For some reason, even though I do have drawing talent, I don't seem to do concept drawings first. I work straight in 3D and conceptualize there and this is the process you are watching.I am posting 3 videos below in order of creation (from what I can remember). By modeling the missiles and launcher system I was able to use the sizing needed to help me understand the needs of the airframe, and when I got to a point, I then needed to model the landing gear so I could decide how it would all fit in. I still have some details to work out, as for now I have more missiles than what would be storable with the landing gear and in final may try to design a method of keeping the missile quantity with landing gear, although I would prefer to keep the jet the size as it is instead of making it longer or bigger (I plan on having a second versn which will be a fighter/attacker version with dual engines). Some might be thinking I am putting way too much thought into soething that may not seem necessary for a shmup, but to me it's my art style. It HAS to be beleivable and "functional". Esspecially since I would like a super detailed real-tim rendering for when you are choosing weapons and loadout etc. for your ship, and to possibly have a walkthroughable hangar where you can walk around the ships and see them up close and personal. I also hope to build this into a franchise or even larger game where these elements of detail would become important. Anyways, many people don't realize the actual creation process and only see the end results so though some might be interested in seeing my work flow. It is a lo of time (like around 20+ hours for the posted video below) so to make it watchable it is sped up considerably. I tried to slow down parts of interest.