UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - 2021-01-30 UPDATE

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
TonyCheckraise

Re: UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - accepting participants

Post by TonyCheckraise »

Ichinisan wrote:Round 6 update! I opened the package on video and all 76 kits tested fine. There should have been 80 kits, but 4 were missing!

There were some strange gaps and overlaps in the serial numbers that made it difficult to sort them, but I noted which 4 were missing and Marshall said they are on the way to me in another package. I already received enough kits for group-buy round 6 (planning to use the rest as inventory when I launch WeStillPlay.com).

I'm packing and shipping the kit-only (no install) orders right now!
Hollaaaaaaaaaaa
Dax

Post by Dax »

CZroe wrote:Tough to say. He has indicated that multiple HW1 batches in the past were likely the last batch of HW1... even been saying this since before it was public that he was working on a HW2! I'm not even sure it is supposed to be public but GameTech started talking about it when the last we had heard was that we weren't supposed to say anything yet.

AFAIK, it's still functionally identical except that it supports an optional analog add-on board. This means HW2 should be a direct substitute. Unfortunately, the flex is being updated so you likely can't just switch boards if you want the RGB-expandable version. Not sure what is changing there but, at the very least, IGR will finally be on the same connection.

Yay! No more tethering otherwise-disconnectable boards! ;) /S

Yeah, not really that exciting... especially since I typically make my IGR connection with a disconnect anyway.
Thanks for the detailed response, dude! That sounds like the Rev. 2 might not be all that useful to me personally, although I can see why it'd be appealing to peeps. I reckon I'd be all good with the current revision.
Ichinisan wrote:Round 6 update! I opened the package on video and all 76 kits tested fine. There should have been 80 kits, but 4 were missing!

There were some strange gaps and overlaps in the serial numbers that made it difficult to sort them, but I noted which 4 were missing and Marshall said they are on the way to me in another package. I already received enough kits for group-buy round 6 (planning to use the rest as inventory when I launch WeStillPlay.com).

I'm packing and shipping the kit-only (no install) orders right now!
Oh MAN, it's seriously incredible to see some progress on the second-to-current round. I'm beyond excited to see round seven begin now!

Again, thank you both for managing all of this. I say that a lot, but I can't stress it enough. It also must be so relieving for you guys to hit the ground running on everything.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

UltraHDMI group-buy round 6 update:

I sent all the kit-only (no install) orders on 8/14. Some of you should have received the tracking numbers automatically via PayPal notifications. I'll be sending the tracking numbers soon to make sure everyone has it.

As is typical, the kits needed to have solder added to the anchor tabs of the mini HDMI port. CZroe added solder and I tested all of the kits again for the kit-only (no install) orders.

NOTE: The UltraHDMI kit is supposed to include an "UltraHDMI" label that would be applied to the area on the bottom of the N64 where a USA system has no label (but Japanese or PAL systems have a serial number there). The label includes a note about how to access the menu, even if you've disabled the hotkey (just boot with no game and do the button combo).

I did not receive any labels with this order, but Marshall will be sending them to me soon along with 4 UltraHDMI kits I haven't received yet. I already had several labels left over from previous orders because Marshall usually sends a few extra. This is how I allocated them:

- Anyone outside of USA who ordered a kit (no install) received a label for each kit

- Anyone in USA who ordered more than one kit got at least 1 label
I have to assume it's possible you've done installs before and might already have an extra label or two.

- Allocated the remaining labels in the order of the participants list (sorted by when I received payment of at least $130 for the kit)

When I receive them, I'll send the label stickers in a separate envelope to anyone who didn't have enough.

kylez64 (2 kits) - needs 1 label
FlyEaglesFlyPA (2 kits) - needs 1 label
beanmosheen - I don't have pic of pkg contents. Let me know if you got your mini HDMI cable.
DadicusPrime - needs 1 label
Zappyraccoon (3 kits) - needs 2 labels
Grown_Ass_Kid - needs 1 label
Tpoundx - needs 1 label
Arthrimus (5 kits, DELIVERED) - Not sure how many labels I put in there. Please let me know.
NGalaxyTimmyo - needs 1 label

I received a tracking number from RetroActive yesterday and it started moving today (8/16). This second package contains the last 4 UltraHDMI kits and at least 80 "UltraHDMI" labels (for the bottom of each upgraded console).

On Thursday we had our first visitor! Anthony (Anthonyn0919) spent hours in Atlanta traffic to come meet with my brother and me for the install. He had to tolerate my brother and and me talking his ears off while we looked at some of our gaming hoard. Show-and-tell is always fun!

We upgraded his N64 and did some work on his Dreamcast. We still have the Dreamcast here to finish some final touches (install resettable fuse, PSU 12V rail disable, DCHDMI to USB-GDROM connection, etc...). We'll do that after we finish the bulk of these N64s.

Since Marshall has already sent the "UltraHDMI" labels and they are on the way to me, I'll wait for those to arrive. Then we can probably ship all of the N64s at the same time. I'll still have to send the labels to some people who ordered kit-only (no install). Then we'll have everything wrapped-up! I'm still waiting for a few consoles to reach me, then we'll have everything wrapped-up!
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Bump - because I added a lot more to the previous post (should trigger an email notice if you subscribe to this thread).
Zappyraccoon

Post by Zappyraccoon »

Thanks for everything you and your friend do! With how much extra work you both put into this each round it really wouldn't be unfair to charge a bit more than base cost. Or at least have a donate option somewhere.
NGalaxyTimmyo

Post by NGalaxyTimmyo »

I am so sad right now

So I get really excited when I find out about this group by back in Feb or March. I check back about once a week, every other week or so for updates. I'm even more excited when they are finally shipped. I get my shipping notification. It's suppose to arrive on Saturday. I'm a little sad because I'm leaving for vacation that Friday, but I put a stop on my mail for the week, so I'll just have to wait until the 26th to get it, no big deal. I'm also excited because I'll be getting the Extreme Green N64 controller at the same time, which is the last of the none two tone transparent controllers I'm waiting for.

So Around Monday I get a shipping notification that the controller was delivered. I'm confused, because it came through USPS, so I figured for some strange reason maybe packages aren't included in the mail stop? I don't know. I'm heading home that Wednesday for an hour long work meeting (Yay for driving hours to and from my cottage for a work meeting), so I'll pick it up then. I check on the UltraHDMI and luckily it's signature required, so I have that set to be kept at the post office for me to pick it up. Oh yeah, my mail box is FULL...

I stop in today to grab it and they can't find it. They have no idea where it ended up and gave me a number to call tomorrow. The tracking number just says re delivery attempted, and I can't even go back into it to try to tell them again to keep it at the post office. I was already really late going back on vacation, and I'm not going to wait at home for the package to be maybe delivered.

So now I'm sitting here thinking I have three possible outcomes.
1. They will find it and let me know
2. It's being sent back to the original sender. If that's the case, let me know if you get it back. I will happily send you money for shipping again.
3. I'll never get it :cry: and it's lost forever. If this is the case, is there still room and can you set me a spot in Round 7 for now? That way if it is lost forever I can at least get back in line. Hopefully this one won't take as long. My N64 was so close to being done.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Sorry for the silence, everyone. I've been dealing with a poorly-timed family crisis but I still plan to ship the bulk of the upgraded N64s tomorrow (round 6).
Dax

Post by Dax »

Ichinisan wrote:Sorry for the silence, everyone. I've been dealing with a poorly-timed family crisis but I still plan to ship the bulk of the upgraded N64s tomorrow (round 6).
Life happens, man. You guys take the time you need. We all know how fast you've gotten round six done so far.
SinnerOG

Post by SinnerOG »

Ichinisan wrote:Sorry for the silence, everyone. I've been dealing with a poorly-timed family crisis but I still plan to ship the bulk of the upgraded N64s tomorrow (round 6).
Like the previous poster said, take care of what you need to take care of! I'm just happy Marshall finally came through.
schnuth

Post by schnuth »

I’ve waited this long, so please don’t feel pressured to get this done. Take care of yourself and your family, and I’ll get my N64 eventually. Hope everything is going okay for you guys.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Thanks! I won't need to depend on my brother as much after I've developed the skill for this part. :)

I used a factory defect flat cable and one of my own systems to attempt a practice install; but it went poorly and I spent a lot of time investigating. I finally tried again with one of my other systems and it went perfectly! I'll do a few more practice installs before I do it to your N64s. Then I'll get these N64s out of here :)

(more N64s are still on the way to me!)
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Did a few more practice installs and they went smoothly. I also rescued the first practice install, so now I'm confident enough to upgrade your N64s without my twin brother's help. I'll try to ship a few tonight!
krazyjakee

Post by krazyjakee »

You are both very astute. I love how you just picked this up in a week.

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date and being so transparent.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

NGalaxyTimmyo wrote:[...]
Well the forum finally showed your 8/22 post on 8/28. Not sure why first posts get delayed for sooo long, but thankfully you were able to reach me by email and you retrieved the package on 8/26. Ah, USPS... You can never tell what they're up to!

Let me know if you have any questions regarding installation.

Now you should also have your "UltraHDMI" label for the bottom of the system.

Can anyone confirm they got the labels I sent out? Hopefully USPS is OK with the way I sent them (attached to a postcard).
Windfish

Post by Windfish »

As someone knew to this, where should I start to get the kit? I hear you have to preorder, and it takes months, maybe even a fully year or longer, before you can get your kit.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Windfish wrote:As someone knew to this, where should I start to get the kit? I hear you have to preorder, and it takes months, maybe even a fully year or longer, before you can get your kit.
I will submit the round 7 order soon after I finish the round 6 installs.

Round 6 was the longest yet I received the kits almost 5 months after I placed the order with RetroActive. The one before that took 12 weeks. The shortest round took 3 weeks. It's difficult to say how long the next round will take, but the group-buy can serve as a way to get in line for the next batch, regardless of how long it takes for Marshall / RetroActive to produce them.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

ROUND 6 UPDATE:

I've completed and shipped 10 N64 systems so far. For most of the other dozen-or-so N64s I've received from round 6 participants, I've already soldered the flat cables and did a quick test (except a couple that recently arrived and haven't yet been disassembled). What still remains to be done for each one is:

- change the LED (if requested)
- connect the wire for in-game reset (IGR)
- cut the mini-HDMI notch (probably the most time-consuming part)
- review correspondence for special requests / notes / exceptions (tricky because of all the different ways people have contacted me other than email)
- reassemble
- final test
- pack, ship

Since my brother is currently not available to do the soldering, I've been slow and cautious while doing that part myself. Recently my boss / landlord has needed my assistance much more than usual, but I'm still finishing N64s with any spare time I have. One thing I'm doing to speed things up is defaulting to a "no-cut" install using 3D-printed pieces designed by Greg Collins:

https://laserbear.net/shop?olsPage=prod ... -nocut-mod

I use black PLA filament for standard N64s, "turquoise" for Ice Blue N64s, "fluorescent green" for Jungle N64s, purple for Grape N64s, and orange for Fire N64s. If I already discussed the "no-cut" install with you and you chose the standard (notch cut) install anyway, I should catch that in my correspondence review.

ROUND 7 UPDATE:

Since I've been stuck with extra duties in round 6, I haven't responded to everyone who contacted me about joining round 7. I'll contact everyone soon as I start to catch-up on completing/shipping the round 6 installs.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Ichinisan wrote:
Windfish wrote:As someone knew to this, where should I start to get the kit? I hear you have to preorder, and it takes months, maybe even a fully year or longer, before you can get your kit.
I will submit the round 7 order soon after I finish the round 6 installs.

Round 6 was the longest yet I received the kits almost 5 months after I placed the order with RetroActive. The one before that took 12 weeks. The shortest round took 3 weeks. It's difficult to say how long the next round will take, but the group-buy can serve as a way to get in line for the next batch, regardless of how long it takes for Marshall / RetroActive to produce them.
Did you already send me an email about joining round 7? Maybe with an alias different from "windfish?"

To participate:
  • Email
    That's a letter "J" (not a letter "i")
  • Tell me which name / alias you prefer to use
    It will be visible to other participants on the public list.
  • Tell me if you are interested in kit+install or just the kit
    (and how many)
  • Tell me if you want a mini HDMI cable.
    Most people need one. It's $5.
  • Tell me your name, return address, and preferred email address.
  • If you are getting installation, tell me which color you prefer for the power LED
    White, green, blue, yellow, or keep it red.
  • Tell me how you heard about the group-buy.
    Thanks!
NGalaxyTimmyo

Post by NGalaxyTimmyo »

Yes, I got the sticker for the bottom of the system. I didn't open it yet, but can see the sticker in there. I really need to get a day or two off so I can install the HDMI and finish my other mods now. Thanks again!
Tubo

Post by Tubo »

Has Round 7 been submitted yet?
SinnerOG

Post by SinnerOG »

I hope the Round 6 installations are going fine
hugo19941994

Post by hugo19941994 »

SinnerOG wrote:I hope the Round 6 installations are going fine
I received mine a couple of days ago and it's working perfectly :D
Dax

Post by Dax »

Good to hear things are going well. I'm really looking forward to hearing progress on round seven's order!
SinnerOG

Post by SinnerOG »

Received mine yesterday! Thank you so much! I feel like a kid on Christmas morning!
schnuth

Post by schnuth »

I got mine a couple weeks ago and have had fun revisiting the N64. Well worth the wait!
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Tubo wrote:Has Round 7 been submitted yet?
Recently I've ignored the round 7 inquiries and focused on finishing up the round 6 installs with each brief moment of free time I get. I shipped a bunch of them over the last few days. There are just a few more to wrap-up for round 6, then I'll catch up on all the round 7 emails I have received.

Still moving those N64s!
SinnerOG wrote:Received mine yesterday! Thank you so much! I feel like a kid on Christmas morning!

hugo19941994 wrote:
I received mine a couple of days ago and it's working perfectly :D
Have fun!

Dax wrote:Good to hear things are going well. I'm really looking forward to hearing progress on round seven's order!
Very soon! Round 6 is almost wrapped-up.

schnuth wrote:I got mine a couple weeks ago and have had fun revisiting the N64. Well worth the wait!
Longest round by a huge margin, but I'm happy so many people finally have UltraHDMI. Enjoy!
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Waiting for one more round 6 N64 to reach me, and the last few round 6 N64s to ship are all international participants. I'll carefully review my correspondence with these participants to make sure I haven't missed any important details before I seal and send-off the international packages. I should have some time to work on these tomorrow (Wednesday 10/2).
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

I shipped the N64s for international round 6 participants. There's one N64 I still haven't received, and that will be the last one for round 6!

I started responding to round 7 inquiries today. There are a LOT more than I was expecting! If you've been waiting to hear back from me about joining round 7, you should receive a reply today or tomorrow.
edd247

Post by edd247 »

Ichinisan wrote:I shipped the N64s for international round 6 participants. There's one N64 I still haven't received, and that will be the last one for round 6!

I started responding to round 7 inquiries today. There are a LOT more than I was expecting! If you've been waiting to hear back from me about joining round 7, you should receive a reply today or tomorrow.
Just saw the spreadsheet and it looks like round 7 will be almost 3x as many units as round 6! Do you anticipate the turn time to be significantly longer because of that?
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

edd247 wrote:
Ichinisan wrote:I shipped the N64s for international round 6 participants. There's one N64 I still haven't received, and that will be the last one for round 6!

Just saw the spreadsheet and it looks like round 7 will be almost 3x as many units as round 6! Do you anticipate the turn time to be significantly longer because of that?
That's difficult to say. According to Marshall, the production batch for our round 6 order was supposed to be a small one. Just 100 units for GTUS and 80 units for the group-buy + myself. Even though it was "small," it was the longest round by a big margin - almost 22 weeks. The previous round was the second longest at 12 weeks.

Marshall (RetroActive) had the kits from the last batch months before he shipped anything, so it seems to me he was delayed by other work/life priorities. I've learned that I can't really guess how long the next batch will take.