Your Dream Game Hackz

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: Your Dream Game Hackz

Post by BIL »

gameoverDude wrote:The Ninjawarriors Again - Taito/Natsume's SFC game with 2-3 player modes & widescreen added. Don't use the censored SNES version. Put it on PS4 & XB1, like Wild Guns Reloaded. Have the Blaster do less damage if 2 or 3 players are in the game.
Can I interest you in The Ninja Warriors Again Again aka TNWAA? >;3
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

Sumez wrote:Mappers aren't really magical hardware enhancers or anything. they just allow for bigger amounts of data to be stored on the cartridges. Of course, the instant switching of data banks can be used for some nice visual effects, too, such as animated backgrounds.
Of course a huge full size image of a mech would require at least one extra 8k bank of graphics data by itself. But there's no real reason the NES couldn't implement any of the logic that the MSX version had.
Masahiro Ueno, who worked on the NES version as the assistant programmer, said as much when he was interviewed by HG101. I'm willing to believe him, since Snake's Revenge used a much more advanced mapper (I think it was MMC1 or MMC3) and fixes a lot of other minor bugs as well, like the fact that enemies and opened doors always remain in their place when you use the binoculars or the transceiver, something that was a bit of a problem in the first NES game.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

A hack for Vs. Hogan's Alley to be playable on the NES that works.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

gameoverDude wrote:The Ninjawarriors Again - Taito/Natsume's SFC game with 2-3 player modes & widescreen added. Don't use the censored SNES version. Put it on PS4 & XB1, like Wild Guns Reloaded. Have the Blaster do less damage if 2 or 3 players are in the game.
You are aware that this is being made, right?
Not sure if it will support co-op, but there's always a chance.
gameoverDude wrote: I agree about that 99 credit bonus being ridiculous. Maybe have the end game bonus start out at a fixed amount like 20,000,000, then dock something from it for each continue used.
Nah, don't give any end of game bonus if the player used any continues :)
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Jonny2x4 wrote:Masahiro Ueno, who worked on the NES version as the assistant programmer, said as much when he was interviewed by HG101.
Yeah, he's just talking about the lack of additional CHR banks to add in a huge graphic of a big mech.
There's nothing in the hardware that prevents the game from functioning like the MSX one otherwise. But if this was his second only ever project on the 6502, only had three months to complete it, and probably wasn't even given access to the MSX code either, I think that's a good explanation for why the game plays so differently. :)
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Sumez wrote:
gameoverDude wrote: I agree about that 99 credit bonus being ridiculous. Maybe have the end game bonus start out at a fixed amount like 20,000,000, then dock something from it for each continue used.
Nah, don't give any end of game bonus if the player used any continues :)
I know about that one for Switch, but would like to see it on other systems with co-op. I imagine they probably didn't want to risk pushing the SNES too far, but with the Switch's hardware power, let them go for it.
Darius Gaiden shows how it should be done - the endgame bonus is yours only if you get the 1CC.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
llaoyllakcuf

Post by llaoyllakcuf »

Sorry for getting OT, but hey Jonny2x4 I just came across the original artwork in your avatar while browsing twitter the other day.

Gamest Magazine Vol.77
https://twitter.com/DAMA99999/status/10 ... 2025663488

Those are some quality renditions of SFII' Ryu & Mike Bison/Balrog by the manga artist Keisuke Itagaki (Baki & Garouden series). :)
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

llaoyllakcuf wrote:Those are some quality renditions of SFII' Ryu & Mike Bison/Balrog by the manga artist Keisuke Itagaki (Baki & Garouden series). :)
Ah, I knew I recognized that style from somewhere! :)
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

llaoyllakcuf wrote:Sorry for getting OT, but hey Jonny2x4 I just came across the original artwork in your avatar while browsing twitter the other day.

Gamest Magazine Vol.77
https://twitter.com/DAMA99999/status/10 ... 2025663488

Those are some quality renditions of SFII' Ryu & Mike Bison/Balrog by the manga artist Keisuke Itagaki (Baki & Garouden series). :)
Glad someone else noticed. I've discovered Itagaki's drawing of Ryu on a Japanese blog a few years ago and used it as my avatar on the previous forum I used to frequent. I just love the expression that Ryu has on his face. As if he's going to do something nasty to his opponent and enjoy it.

Gamest's SF2CE guide actually has guest illustrations for each of the 12 fighters, not just Ryu and Boxer. I really need to get a hold of it and all the other Gamest guides one of these days.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I was wondering about your av for the longest time. :mrgreen: Thought it might be something Technos or oldschool SNK.
Jonny2x4 wrote:I just love the expression that Ryu has on his face. As if he's going to do something nasty to his opponent and enjoy it.
"Do not beg for your life! PAY FOR IT!" Image
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Smash TV - There are just two things I'd change here. Unless you have a speed-up, the player's movement speed is a bit too slow. So:
- Make the players always sped-up
- When a speed-up would normally appear, replace it with a prize.

Final Fight 2 AC - Final Fight 2 remade as a CPS version, with upgraded BGM, backgrounds, & sprites as good as arcade FF1 or even better. Make the enemy AI similar to the arcade FF1. And like Jonny2x4's Final Fight TRIO, add 3 player support.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

gameoverDude wrote:
- When a speed-up would normally appear, replace it with a prize.
OH YEAH! ANOTHER TOASTER/VCR/1999 ROADSTER:D
My lord, I have come for you.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4120/
Dream come true for some people? I'm inclined to try, Matrix software's remake of Final Fantasy III is starting to look iffy.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

While I already like Darius 2 JP's arcade version and have accepted that you have to 1-life up until the second-to-last boss to 1CC it, I think it would be a lot less scary for newcomers to the game if the next powerup you get after dying is one that puts you back to your previous state, as to make recovery an actual thing and to make destroying the powerup waves with your default weapon in the later stages more worthwhile. IIRC, there's already a power-up that can spawn on your last life, but by then your chances of survival are pretty much doomed and that bonus doesn't increase your firepower back to its previous state, it's more like a starter pack lol.

If this powerup also inserts itself in the list of powerups that are given (and thus pushes the last one out), that also means death is still punished in the long term by making you unabe to get the maximum power level, so hopefully that could balance things out and make death still a thing you should avoid. Oh, and maybe the 1Up waves shouldn't hand out anything anymore, as there's no more reason to give tons of bonus lives.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Man I should not have read the first post.

I just want a hack of SotN that makes the game less lame and easy, and that makes the second castle actually interesting, and that gives the second castle more music, and... The Hard Type hack doesn't really do this. The game needs way more work than that.

Also Brutal Doom is shit. Still shit, even. Correct Doom response is Complex Doom.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

The correct Doom response is fan-made levels in vanilla Doom or slightly touched-up Doom (mouselook, better collision detection, graphics mods).
JBC

Post by JBC »

I wish someone would turn Goldeneye into Goldfinger. Just go in and retool everything to be like a Goldfinger game got released for 64 back in the day. Same engine and everything, you're just Connery and all the maps are based on Goldfinger instead.
Godzilla was an inside job
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

8BA wrote:I wish someone would turn Goldeneye into Goldfinger. Just go in and retool everything to be like a Goldfinger game got released for 64 back in the day. Same engine and everything, you're just Connery and all the maps are based on Goldfinger instead.
Someone made a Goldfinger 64 hack.
JBC

Post by JBC »

BrianC wrote:
8BA wrote:I wish someone would turn Goldeneye into Goldfinger. Just go in and retool everything to be like a Goldfinger game got released for 64 back in the day. Same engine and everything, you're just Connery and all the maps are based on Goldfinger instead.
Yeah I've had this dream before. You win the lottery and then wake up with an empty wallet. Nice try though.
Sir Ilpalazzo

Post by Sir Ilpalazzo »

8BA wrote:
BrianC wrote:
Yeah I've had this dream before. You win the lottery and then wake up with an empty wallet. Nice try though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxVpEuTxXlQ
JBC

Post by JBC »

Sir Ilpalazzo wrote:
BrianC wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxVpEuTxXlQ
Nice edit. If something is too good to be true then it probably isn't. Next you'll tell me it's compatible with Everdrives and works on real hardware. Hilarious, but you're not gonna get me.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

A version of Giga Wing 1 that has a "Tag Mode" scoring, i.e. where it's cooperative scoring with just one multiplier and score when playing 2-player. It should be possible to implement this without too much difficulty in an emulator by having any calls to increase player 2's multiplier/current medal value/score or decrease it such as when dying be routed to increase the player 1 value, but I don't know how to actually do this. Would be fun to be able to do cooperative score attacking like you can do in the sequel.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Sumez wrote:
https://gematsu.com/2019/04/the-ninja-w ... y-in-japan
Not just for Switch, The Ninja Warriors Once Again is coming to PS4 also. Japan's release date is July. Localisation for this should be a snap, so a Western release I guess is maybe 1 month max after the Japanese version (Wild Guns Reloaded was like that). It'll support co-op. One of the new robot ninjas, the 4-meter/32 ton Raiden, can grab 2 enemies at a time. Probably slow but super damaging.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Sand Scorpion Black Label

Full auto on A
1 Loop only
Second Loop shot patterns immediately
All Enemy Hit points reduced by 50%
Player hitbox reduced by 50%
Milkable boss bullets
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, but with transformations having the expanded movesets that you can find in Kirby Super Star, and without losing the transformation star every single time you get hit.
It's already a very cool game and the mix between the Metroidvania style and the Kirby powerups gives a nice spin on the formula. If Kirby's abilities themselves haven't been dumbed down and weren't so easy to lose, it would easily be my best Kirby game, but Super Star has abilities that are much more fun to (ab)use with multiple inputs doing different moves.

And given how many games there are in the franchise and how experimental they can sometimes get, I am also surprised there hasn't been another attempt at this style of game design in the series.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

emphatic wrote:Sand Scorpion Black Label

Full auto on A
1 Loop only
Second Loop shot patterns immediately
All Enemy Hit points reduced by 50%
Player hitbox reduced by 50%
removed all milk
ftfy ឵឵ ឵឵ ឵឵ ឵឵ ឵឵ ឵឵ ឵឵ ឵឵ ឵឵ ឵឵ ឵឵ ឵឵
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Cadillacs & Dinosaurs- Just add a run button. Not one that you hold down like Mortal Kombat 3, but one that you press one time. Double-tapping the joystick needs to go.

Trails of Cold Steel II (PS4) - An official patch to avoid the frame drops that happen in some areas when you're playing it on PS4 Pro. One real bad case is the way Legram becomes a framerate death zone when there's fog- I think it falls below 30 there. Also, add the no-limit draw distance from the PC version. It might have been better for Falcom to port Durante's code from the PC version instead of rebuilding it on their own, considering that PS4 is also x86-powered.
BryanM wrote:ROM sizes on the SNES were not that big. And they always pushed for the smallest ones possible to maximize profit margins.
Super Turrican was one case of a game being hurt bad by this tactic. Publisher Seika refused to release the game on anything larger than a 4 Mbit cart. ST's original design needed 6, so a lot of stuff got thrown out. At least one level was ditched. Thankfully there is a director's cut, though sadly it's only for the Super Nt console.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

Seems like someone made a mod that adds 3-player support to Final Fight after all.
https://www.retrorgb.com/final-fight-30 ... dware.html
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

gameoverDude wrote: Super Turrican was one case of a game being hurt bad by this tactic. Publisher Seika refused to release the game on anything larger than a 4 Mbit cart. ST's original design needed 6, so a lot of stuff got thrown out. At least one level was ditched. Thankfully there is a director's cut, though sadly it's only for the Super Nt console.
The extra stuff is neat, but one level has a more polished version in Mega Turrican (the train level, stage 4-2 in Mega Turrican) and both are lacking end of level bosses. No Machine fight at the end either. The beta also lacks some polish compared to the final game.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Has anyone mentioned a Saigo no Nindou hack that removes the ninjas from the ninja pit? That would be a good one.

E: Oh yeah and also it should keep playing the ninja pit's music for the final boss instead of switching to the standard boss music. Given how much longer that track is than the pit I suspect that may have been the original intent.