Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
maxtherabbit

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by maxtherabbit »

copy wrote:What do people recommend for double-sided mounting tape/adhesive, e.g. for NES/SNES dejitter board installs?

I've been using these 3M mounting squares, but it just occurred to me that I don't know what would happen if I ever need to remove them.

Is there any risk of it pulling off solder mask, or damaging traces? In the future, should I first lay down some electrical tape on the PCB before attaching the mounting tape?
I doubt it, double-sided tape isn't really that strong
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

maxtherabbit wrote:
copy wrote:What do people recommend for double-sided mounting tape/adhesive, e.g. for NES/SNES dejitter board installs?

I've been using these 3M mounting squares, but it just occurred to me that I don't know what would happen if I ever need to remove them.

Is there any risk of it pulling off solder mask, or damaging traces? In the future, should I first lay down some electrical tape on the PCB before attaching the mounting tape?
I doubt it, double-sided tape isn't really that strong
I'll second that, but it's a pain to remove. In my experience, the foam in the middle tends to fail, and then you end up with adhesive crap on both the thing and what it was stuck to.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

MidOrFeed2015 wrote:i have a US dreamcast along with US confidential mission, US death crimson ox and US house of the dead 2.

which two guns should I buy to ensure enjoyment + compatibility? i already saw that the JP gun should be avoided. are all JP/EU guns incompatible or is it just the official JP gun?
None of the DC light guns work good, even the official once in JP that Sega made and never made it to the states (and won't work with some NTSC/USA games either fyi - it's locked out).

You can read more about the problems: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=64989&p=1378847#p1378847

....they're still playable for sure, and can be fun, just don't think they'll touch the accuracy of the other consoles light guns.
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

Dochartaigh wrote:
MidOrFeed2015 wrote:i have a US dreamcast along with US confidential mission, US death crimson ox and US house of the dead 2.

which two guns should I buy to ensure enjoyment + compatibility? i already saw that the JP gun should be avoided. are all JP/EU guns incompatible or is it just the official JP gun?
None of the DC light guns work good, even the official once in JP that Sega made and never made it to the states (and won't work with some NTSC/USA games either fyi - it's locked out).

You can read more about the problems: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=64989&p=1378847#p1378847

....they're still playable for sure, and can be fun, just don't think they'll touch the accuracy of the other consoles light guns.
but in terms of compatibility, would any imported UK gun (aside from the official UK gun) work? i cant find a compatibility list anywhere except "the official jp gun only works on jp games."
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

MidOrFeed2015 wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:

but in terms of compatibility, would any imported UK gun (aside from the official UK gun) work? i cant find a compatibility list anywhere except "the official jp gun only works on jp games."
My understanding of the Dreamcast light gun issue is that all the peripherals are region-free, but there can be software lockouts on specific games. For example, the North American version House of the Dead 2 includes a software lockout that detects the Japanese light gun and prevents it from being used. I was unaware of there being a PAL-region light gun for the Dreamcast, so I'm not sure if that version is also affected.
strayan

Post by strayan »

What exactly is the difference between the HDMI RGB 444 format and DVI RGB 444 format on an Extron 301 HD? My TV will not display the former but has no problems displaying the latter.
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

I'm in the market right now to buy a Japanese PS2.

There is a seller on ebay selling them (just the console, no cables or controllers) for $40 + $15 shipping, options of model SCPH-70000 or SCPH-77000

Is one model better than the other?
Is this a good deal?
Is a US power cord compatible with a JP console?
Are US controllers compatible with the console?
Memory cards?

Any advice is appreciated.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

strayan wrote:What exactly is the difference between the HDMI RGB 444 format and DVI RGB 444 format on an Extron 301 HD? My TV will not display the former but has no problems displaying the latter.
It's hard to say what's up with your specific display without all the specific details and such, but DVI and HDMI are different standards. HDMI is electrically compatible with DVI, but not all DVI is HDMI compatible. I know the 301 HD has a whole lot of on screen settings, maybe just needs adjusting something HDMI related? https://www.extron.com/download/files/u ... 8-01_C.pdf
strayan

Post by strayan »

vol.2 wrote:
strayan wrote:What exactly is the difference between the HDMI RGB 444 format and DVI RGB 444 format on an Extron 301 HD? My TV will not display the former but has no problems displaying the latter.
It's hard to say what's up with your specific display without all the specific details and such, but DVI and HDMI are different standards. HDMI is electrically compatible with DVI, but not all DVI is HDMI compatible. I know the 301 HD has a whole lot of on screen settings, maybe just needs adjusting something HDMI related? https://www.extron.com/download/files/u ... 8-01_C.pdf
Yeah the 301 allows you to set the HDMI format to HDMI RGB 444 format and DVI RGB 444. I just wanted to know how the signals differ (and what the cheapest way to convert one to the other is - a Dr HDMI works but they’re expensive).
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Yeah the 301 allows you to set the HDMI format to HDMI RGB 444 format and DVI RGB 444. I just wanted to know how the signals differ (and what the cheapest way to convert one to the other is - a Dr HDMI works but they’re expensive).
do you get audio with the output set to DVI? If you don't, that's the main difference. If you do (which means that the Extron doesn't REALLY stick to DVI standards), then it really doesn't matter. Some compatibility quirks in terms of infoframe markers or flags.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Fudoh wrote:
do you get audio with the output set to DVI? If you don't, that's the main difference. If you do (which means that the Extron doesn't REALLY stick to DVI standards), then it really doesn't matter. Some compatibility quirks in terms of infoframe markers or flags.
Not at home to test the audio when set to DVI but there is definitely something different about the video output (will take photos) and I’ve discovered the same issue on my DVDO VP30.

The output on the Extron when set to HDMI RGB 444 looks the same as the output DVDO: on test patterns (on my plasma) the horizontal timing is one ?sub-pixel off when set to the TVs native resolution. As soon as I switch the extron to DVI RGB 444 the problem goes away. Similarly as soon as I add the Dr HDMI between the DVDO and the plasma the problem vanishes.

There are definitely different markers or flags being sent but I can’t figure out what.
Last edited by strayan on Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

What are all the advantages and disadvantages of a Rev. 0 Dreamcast vs. a Rev. 1 Dreamcast?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The output on the Extron when set to HDMI RGB 444 looks the same as the output DVDO: on test patterns (on my plasma) the horizontal timing is one ?sub-pixel off when set to the TVs native resolution. As soon as I switch the extron to DVI RGB 444 the problem goes away. Similarly as soon as I add the Dr HDMI between the DVDO and the plasma the problem vanishes.
both are full 4:4:4, but it sounds as if your TV convert one format into 4:2:2 for further processing. On the DVDO this happens internally in the processor already, but the Extron offers a full 4:4:4 processing path (input, scaling, output).

Can't say that I ever saw the problem on any of my displays.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Fudoh wrote:
both are full 4:4:4, but it sounds as if your TV convert one format into 4:2:2 for further processing. On the DVDO this happens internally in the processor already, but the Extron offers a full 4:4:4 processing path (input, scaling, output).

Can't say that I ever saw the problem on any of my displays.
It's definitely a quirk with my NEC plasma XR5. If I connect my PC directly to the TV via a HDMI to HDMI cable I can reproduce the problem as well (and I've yet to figure out a solution to that). Gotta have something to do with the flags (whatever they are). Maybe I'll get in touch with Extron to see how their DVI spec differs to the HDMI one.

-----

On another subject, will a VP50 Pro downscale 1080p content? My VP30 won't scale 1080p at all (seems to only passthrough).
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

On another subject, will a VP50 Pro downscale 1080p content? My VP30 won't scale 1080p at all (seems to only passthrough).
yes, the maximum the VP30 actually processes is 1080i (or SXGA going by the VESA formats). The VP50 processes 1080p60 signals just fine.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Fudoh wrote:
yes, the maximum the VP30 actually processes is 1080i (or SXGA going by the VESA formats). The VP50 processes 1080p60 signals just fine.
While we're talking about these, does the VP50 or the VP50 Pro need the AB-102 card to interlace the best they can? Or is the functionality of that card already built into the VP50's? I know the VP30 needs that card to interlace the best it can.

Is there any difference between the ABT-102 card, and the ABT-102D?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The ABT102 introduced ABT's new deinterlacing and scaling engine to machines still equipped with the Silicon Image 504 (VP20 and VP30). The VP50 added the ABT102's function to the main FPGA already and added proper 1080i on top. The 50Pro added a revamped scaling engine plus a new sharpening engine (edge and detail enhancement) to that.

The Edge moved the 50Pro's FPGA design into an ASIC design, which was used once more in the iScan Duo.
Is there any difference between the ABT-102 card, and the ABT-102D?
no, to my knowledge there's just one version of the upgrade board.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Fudoh wrote:The ABT102 introduced ABT's new deinterlacing and scaling engine to machines still equipped with the Silicon Image 504 (VP20 and VP30). The VP50 added the ABT102's function to the main FPGA already and added proper 1080i on top. The 50Pro added a revamped scaling engine plus a new sharpening engine (edge and detail enhancement) to that.
Cool, thanks. Still contemplating getting one of these to mess around with (probably a VP50 Pro if I do).
rs732

Post by rs732 »

I recently seen a youtube video of someone demonstrating their modded xbox 360 with a complete backup catalog of 36o Shmup titles. Can anyone recommend a reputable hardware modder preferably someone from this shmup community?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

I see banding in my XBOX's generic component cable. What is the recommended cable to buy these days? The original Hi-Def kit, or something that can be had cheaper?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:I see banding in my XBOX's generic component cable. What is the recommended cable to buy these days? The original Hi-Def kit, or something that can be had cheaper?
The XOSVP is the thing to get (also comes in kit form). Potential downsides are that it seems to be perpetually sold out (As in every time I've visited the store page, it's been unavailable), and it only offers TOSLINK for audio, so you'd need a TOSLINK to stereo RCA adapter if you wanted analogue audio from it.

Failing that, I would recommend tracking down a Microsoft-branded Xbox HD AV Pack (Not to be confused with the Advanced AV Pack, which only has composite and S-Video), either the breakout box or the far-rarer cable version. Compared to the XOSVP, they're more expensive, due to their increasing rarity, and they offer both TOSLINK and analogue audio output instead of just the TOSLINK on the XOSVP. I've read that the original cables kind of suck (easily remedied) and that they don't provide a perfect image, but I haven't seen any photographic comparisons to back up either of those claims.

I've had one of the HD AV Packs for a few years now, and the only complaint I might have is the bulk the breakout box adds (probably about the size of an Xbox 360 external PSU, if it had a bunch of AV cables coming out the side of it). If you decide to go shopping on eBay for one of these, get a good look at the photographs; when I was looking for one, I saw one or two that were not properly cared for, and had rust on the connector shrouds. Also, don't be afraid to buy one without the original cables; it's pretty easy to get a 5x RCA component + stereo cable from places like Amazon and Monoprice (although Monoprice's cables, weirdly, have left and right audio on complete opposite ends of the cable for some reason).

Finally, you might be interested in the Pound HDMI cable for the Xbox. From what I've seen, it's a good-enough solution for most people who want to go straight to HDMI, and it's cheap. The downsides, as I understand them, are that it doesn't do any video filtering, so whatever noisy output from the console will be present; and, it digitizes the analogue stereo instead of using the S/PDIF audio, so you won't get 5.1 surround, if that's important to you (It is to me).
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

nmalinoski wrote:The XOSVP is the thing to get (also comes in kit form). Potential downsides are that it seems to be perpetually sold out (As in every time I've visited the store page, it's been unavailable), and it only offers TOSLINK for audio, so you'd need a TOSLINK to stereo RCA adapter if you wanted analogue audio from it.

Failing that, I would recommend tracking down a Microsoft-branded Xbox HD AV Pack (Not to be confused with the Advanced AV Pack, which only has composite and S-Video), either the breakout box or the far-rarer cable version. Compared to the XOSVP, they're more expensive, due to their increasing rarity, and they offer both TOSLINK and analogue audio output instead of just the TOSLINK on the XOSVP. I've read that the original cables kind of suck (easily remedied) and that they don't provide a perfect image, but I haven't seen any photographic comparisons to back up either of those claims.

I've had one of the HD AV Packs for a few years now, and the only complaint I might have is the bulk the breakout box adds (probably about the size of an Xbox 360 external PSU, if it had a bunch of AV cables coming out the side of it). If you decide to go shopping on eBay for one of these, get a good look at the photographs; when I was looking for one, I saw one or two that were not properly cared for, and had rust on the connector shrouds. Also, don't be afraid to buy one without the original cables; it's pretty easy to get a 5x RCA component + stereo cable from places like Amazon and Monoprice (although Monoprice's cables, weirdly, have left and right audio on complete opposite ends of the cable for some reason).

Finally, you might be interested in the Pound HDMI cable for the Xbox. From what I've seen, it's a good-enough solution for most people who want to go straight to HDMI, and it's cheap. The downsides, as I understand them, are that it doesn't do any video filtering, so whatever noisy output from the console will be present; and, it digitizes the analogue stereo instead of using the S/PDIF audio, so you won't get 5.1 surround, if that's important to you (It is to me).
I'm definitely not down with TOSLINK, red/white audio for my stream. I have a converter, but as you said, those are never in stock anyway, so that may be out. I've found a bunch of the OG breakout boxes (HD, not AV) going for ~$50 which isn't bad I guess. May try to score one. I actually have the Hyperkin HDMI cable, and it looks pretty good, but want a component termination and don't necessarily want to go through another converter to get there.

Is this the rarer version of the official XBOX component cable? I don't see TOSLINK on there... Not sure where to find that!
https://assemblergames.com/attachments/cable-jpg.16746/
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

ldeveraux wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:The XOSVP is the thing to get (also comes in kit form). Potential downsides are that it seems to be perpetually sold out (As in every time I've visited the store page, it's been unavailable), and it only offers TOSLINK for audio, so you'd need a TOSLINK to stereo RCA adapter if you wanted analogue audio from it.

I'm definitely not down with TOSLINK, red/white audio for my stream. I have a converter, but as you said, those are never in stock anyway, so that may be out. I've found a bunch of the OG breakout boxes (HD, not AV) going for ~$50 which isn't bad I guess. May try to score one. I actually have the Hyperkin HDMI cable, and it looks pretty good, but want a component termination and don't necessarily want to go through another converter to get there.

Is this the rarer version of the official XBOX component cable? I don't see TOSLINK on there... Not sure where to find that!
It's there, the port is inside that lump on the console side connector
VanishingVision

Post by VanishingVision »

I'm trying to decide if tate-ing this TV would be a good idea or not. I would be flipping it between tate and yoko occasionally, I got it for free from a family member, and currently don't own enough vertical games to merit buying a second CRT. I'm concerned about the quality of the casing, and the ventilation. There are vents on both sides, meaning one would be covered if I put it sideways on my desk, and while I'm aware that smaller TVs (it's 13") are safer for tate, I can't really tell how likely anything could be damaged on this one. Any advice? Image
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

maxtherabbit wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:I'm definitely not down with TOSLINK, red/white audio for my stream. I have a converter, but as you said, those are never in stock anyway, so that may be out. I've found a bunch of the OG breakout boxes (HD, not AV) going for ~$50 which isn't bad I guess. May try to score one. I actually have the Hyperkin HDMI cable, and it looks pretty good, but want a component termination and don't necessarily want to go through another converter to get there.

It's there, the port is inside that lump on the console side connector
That is precisely the cable I'm talking about. I might be overstating their rarity, but I've never seen one in the wild, and they rarely appear on eBay. If it's a reasonable price, I would pick it up.

And yes, that lump/protrusion on the console connector indeed houses the TOSLINK port as maxtherabbit pointed out.
Kez

Post by Kez »

It's not all that hard to take the official Xbox composite cable connector and splice it onto an official xbox 360 component cable, that will provide great video quality and both cables are common and cheap. There are guides online, and occasionally I see them pop up on Ebay.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

What are all the advantages and disadvantages of a Rev. 0 Dreamcast vs. a Rev. 1 Dreamcast?
What are all the advantages and disadvantages of a Model 1 Sega Saturn vs. a Model 2 Sega Saturn?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

GeneraLight wrote:What are all the advantages and disadvantages of a Rev. 0 Dreamcast vs. a Rev. 1 Dreamcast?
From a casual owner's point of view, the VA1 Dreamcasts are far more common, and most of the aftermarket parts should be compatible with them. The VA0s have some design differences and quirks that make them incompatible with certain parts, like the GDEMU.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

nmalinoski wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:What are all the advantages and disadvantages of a Rev. 0 Dreamcast vs. a Rev. 1 Dreamcast?
From a casual owner's point of view, the VA1 Dreamcasts are far more common, and most of the aftermarket parts should be compatible with them. The VA0s have some design differences and quirks that make them incompatible with certain parts, like the GDEMU.
Thanks. What about power consumption, heat, sound and picture quality?
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

The V0 is hands down better. Uses half the wattage and has less banding over scart. Also it makes you breakfast in bed.