Save the XP era doujin games!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Shepardus

Re: Save the XP era doujin games!

Post by Shepardus »

Pixel_Outlaw wrote:There is one I'm looking for that I can find for the life of me.

It was a small window where you simply grazed 1 pixel enemy shots to fire back at some boss.
Each level had a different series of bullet emitters. I think everything was just gradient circles.
It was mouse controlled.

It was like fuze...su... or something...
Fuzetsu? viewtopic.php?t=6516
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

Shepardus wrote:
Pixel_Outlaw wrote:There is one I'm looking for that I can find for the life of me.

It was a small window where you simply grazed 1 pixel enemy shots to fire back at some boss.
Each level had a different series of bullet emitters. I think everything was just gradient circles.
It was mouse controlled.

It was like fuze...su... or something...
Fuzetsu? viewtopic.php?t=6516
That'd be the one.
Ah, well supports this thread I guess.
All links appear to be dead.

F**k the Web. :x
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

I was able to pull something off archive.org. I don't have Java so didn't test it, but its' in the Staging folder. Give it a shot.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

CStarFlare wrote:I was able to pull something off archive.org. I don't have Java so didn't test it, but its' in the Staging folder. Give it a shot.
Unfortunately that's just the Java Web Start launcher, and the JAR it points to doesn't seem to be archived.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Krushal

Post by Krushal »

Been playing a TON of free PC shoot-em-ups the last while, helped by this thread. Some games I couldn't run acceptably (eXceed, Radio Zonde), others I found too hard (Cho Ren Sha, Kaikan). I'm left with only a few newb-friendly, Windows 10 compatible games to play (so far):

Blue Wish Resurrection Plus.
Eden's Aegis. Obviously x_x's masterpiece, I find it odd that BWR+ generally seems more favoured. For me, it's just the constant use of a fourth button that limits my play.
Of Kenta Cho's games, only rRootage really grabbed me. Starts easy, but the later stages are a proper challenge (only one person has completed a single mode on the highscore thread). Also, it's probably the single best shmup-trainer there is.
Genetos is pretty fun, but it's gimmick works against it for repeat play.
Same could be said for Warning Forever.
Suwako's Jumping Shooting Game is an isometric-3d danmaku that's well-executed, but ultimately too awkward to be more than a novelty.
Zillion Beatz and EX are both arcade-style, with a selection of difficulties. No practice tools, however.
Magic Broom Shooting! An unfinished beta, but has all the nice features. I'm hooked big time, just has more charm than any shooter I've ever seen, bar none by miles.
Last edited by Krushal on Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Free indie/doujin STGs: Download | List (incomplete)
blossom

Post by blossom »

The trick with Eden's Aegis, generally, is you don't want to be shooting unless an enemy is marked blue with your special shot. I don't know if that helps you with the idea of "limiting play" or not.
donluca

Post by donluca »

Shepardus wrote:
CStarFlare wrote:I was able to pull something off archive.org. I don't have Java so didn't test it, but its' in the Staging folder. Give it a shot.
Unfortunately that's just the Java Web Start launcher, and the JAR it points to doesn't seem to be archived.
Your webarchive-fu is weak, young padawan: http://web.archive.org/web/201505300922 ... uzetsu.jar

Still, couldn't get it to load, says the jar is corrupted. Maybe it's just my Java installation which is fucked up.
donluca

Post by donluca »

Alright, fixed lots of things around and got it working.

You can play it straight in your browser here: http://theclassicgamer.net/fuzetsu/

Or you can download it here: http://theclassicgamer.net/fuzetsu/fuzetsu.jnlp

Hopefully the author won't mind this, otherwise I'll be happy to remove it (as long as he's gonna get it up and working again).
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Hey, nicely done. Thanks for taking another stab at bringing that back from the dead.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
donluca

Post by donluca »

You're welcome, hopefully the guy that was looking for it sees it.
Krushal

Post by Krushal »

blossom wrote:The trick with Eden's Aegis, generally, is you don't want to be shooting unless an enemy is marked blue with your special shot. I don't know if that helps you with the idea of "limiting play" or not.
Thanks, but I just meant that my hand cramps up. The use of special is so frequent, that I generally just hold the button down (maybe I'll try some remapping software: I should go back to it and get the Original 1CC).
ED-057 wrote:I just gathered a bunch of shmups I had. Should all be free/shareware (and work on Windows 2000). I don't like google drive very much so someone else can re-upload there if they feel like it.http://www.hyakushiki.net/shmup/filename
where filename would be one of these:
BTW, there's some nice uploads in this batch posted earlier. If some kind soul could add them to the Google Drive, it's good to have backups. Some might be there already.

I'll at least remove some of the tedium by posting the individual links: (ED-057, if you see this, maybe copy & paste into your original post)
Spoiler
FRO

Post by FRO »

Glad to see this effort is producing results - I just checked, and all the stuff I thought I had has already been uploaded!
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

Hey gals and gents, just saw there was some progress here. 8)
I'll get the stuff archived this afternoon.

Feel free to PM me if stuff doesn't get noticed.

donluca wrote:You're welcome, hopefully the guy that was looking for it sees it.
AWESOME work on patching that .jar btw.
I'll have to check it out when I get home!
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
Krushal

Post by Krushal »

Post deleted. Just a bump really.
Last edited by Krushal on Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

So... I have a lot of old doujin games and such lying around. So I could probably help out here. Just... I don't actually know/remember which ones of these should be considered to be fully freeware. Uploading all of them sounds like a bad idea. I know some were definitely not freeware back in the day, but there's always the cases where old doujin games have gone freeware...

So, anyway, this is what I still have, that aren't on the Drive already. At least I think these are all shmups. Also haven't checked the websites for them or such. Any requests, and any instant "that's not freeware"? EDIT: Anything I find to not be freeware or that's already been uploaded will be removed from the list, will start checking the status of them myself too.
Spoiler
Airkano
AIRRADE-AIR-
Angel Destroyer
Asougi
Battle Blade
Crystallized Mythology (danmakufu)
Cunyngas
Dotonpachi
Dotonpachi Maximum
D-STARS
Every Extend
Galshell Blood Red Skies
Galshell 2
Gensou Shoujo
Gochamaze no Arashi
Guwange-Ruga-Daioujou-XII-Kizuna-Down
GwangeDash
Lotus Land Plus
Magical Zone
MECHA Ritz
Metal Gun III
Mystic Power Plant (danmakufu)
Neko Shooting
One-Two
Parity Shot
PHANTASM
Phantasm Romance (danmakufu, and as far as I can tell, unrelated to the above)
Promised Mystery of Moisture
RE Chiyoruga
Riverbed Soul Saver (danmakufu)
Solid State Survivor
Sonic Ironstorm
Steel Storm
STG vs STG
Tobi Tsukihime
Tokuko Shoujo
Zoldiras
And one, Val and Rick, I've already uploaded, which is a lesser known Kenta Cho one. Not in his usual graphical style.
Last edited by KennyMan666 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:04 am, edited 6 times in total.
My 1CCs so I can find the list easier myself
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

KennyMan666 wrote:So, anyway, this is what I still have, that aren't on the Drive already. At least I think these are all shmups. Also haven't checked the websites for them or such. Any requests, and any instant "that's not freeware"?
Off the top of my head, Acceleration of Suguri, eXceed, eXceed 3rd, Kamui, RefRain, Suguri, and Zenodyne R are not freeware, unless what you have are demos.

Edit: Also Hisyouayu.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Oh, it is the Zenodyne R demo, actually. And now I'm noticing the dates on the files I have, that's a much newer game than I thought it was and the demo is readily available on the game's itch.io page (I'm also seeing it's on -81% sale right now, along with Zenohell and Jet Buster), so I removed that + the others from my list.
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
Krushal

Post by Krushal »

There's quite a few that are already in the folder. Gwange Dash is a notorious no-go zone (just asking for trouble).

Not sure how generally useful Danmakufu scripts are, there's so many different versions of it. Personally, I wasn't going to upload any. There's an active website for someone to get them.

Bullet Philiharmonic Orchestra. Please, please let that be valid. :D
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Oh BPO is valid as hell. Actually, that one and siroi danmakukun I 100% know are freeware, so I've uploaded them. They might have some high scores from me lying around since I didn't have the original zip files or whatever for them, so I 7-zipped them up myself.

But I'm not seeing any of those I listed in the folder, I went through what was in there and removed any that I had written down on my list. Is there some subfolder or whatever I'm missing?

And, yeah, I know of the troubles with GwangeDash. At least I have it mirrored myself.
Krushal

Post by Krushal »

EDIT: Mentioned about a master list, decided to do it myself. See post below.

Thanks again to all you wonderful folk. This thread will be a gold-mine, especially for new shmuppers, for years to come.
Last edited by Krushal on Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Looked in all the folders in the main Drive linked in the first post and the only subfolder with additional games that I could find was the XP one, and I had already found that. So you're going to have to point me to where these additional games that I've missed allegedly exist.
Krushal

Post by Krushal »

Right, I must be mistaken then. Sorry about that. It's probably just that you have a bunch of the extra ones I have.
I'm not properly organised, would also have to go through the list and triple-check everything.
Krushal

Post by Krushal »

Sorry for double post. Looking through the list again and comparing with my folders, I think XED is already up. I could confirm many of them are free software, but it sounds like you're making sure anyway.
Oh, actually isn't Neko Shooting not free? (Think I would have played it by now if it was :wink: ).

Also, just noticed:
Cunyngas :)
Promised Mystery of Moisture :!:
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Neko Shooting was apparently released at Comiket 69 in 2005. So it's not freeware, but I'm also going to guess it's absolutely impossible to get ahold of legally these days, heh.

XED's wasn't previously uploaded, no, but that's one of the games we had in STGT Gaiden meaning it's definitely freeware so it's been uploaded now.
Krushal

Post by Krushal »

That's a tricky grey area, alright. I'd certainly like to try it, and would have no qualms about downloading it from some archival website, but I think the OP or Mods would need to weigh in. Probably the Staging folder is fine anyway, that's what it's for. EDIT: NOT TRUE (my bad). He asks that copyrighted material not be put in there.

EDIT #624: Moved list to post below.
Last edited by Krushal on Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:16 pm, edited 12 times in total.
donluca

Post by donluca »

About "not freeware but maybe author doesn't care": just contact the author and ask him nicely.

There's absolutely no point in not letting people share your game if you're not making any money out of it and, most importantly, it's not even available anywhere to buy.

If they don't reply in, say, one month, I'd just upload them and that will be it. Of course, if one day they'll wake from their cryogenic sleep and realize that their game is being distributed without their authorization you can just remove it.

Also, this thread should really be stickied. Lots of goodness in here.
Krushal

Post by Krushal »

I've been keeping a list of the games that I couldn't run, either acceptably or at all. As usual with me, a lot of the games aren't on the repo yet (consider it a preview of the kind of stuff I will upload eventually).

Could anybody check if these are broken in later Windows, or help identify some steps to run them?
I've tried to filter out where it is the common Japanese-language issue. If I'm missing any obvious potential solution, don't hurt me. :wink:

Not working:
Radio Zonde (dll?)
Fuck Space
XED (runs, no display)
Idinaloq (dll)

Slow / Errors:
Danmaku Simulation 296
Erst Kerf (axes wrong, not configurable)
Flew Fighter
Xaklogian
War Machine
YalkinaSTG
Rally Raid
Soil
Solid State Survivor (graphics garbled)
Wrath
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Krushal wrote:Idinaloq (dll)
According to the creators' site that one won't run on any Windows newer than XP; apparently they've done some off-and-on work to fix that, but whether it's ever completed is anyone's guess.
Krushal

Best top greatest free freeware gratis shmup shoot-em-up STG

Post by Krushal »

Reference List of Drive Contents (as of Sep. 16th 2019):
Spoiler
Blue Wish {x.x Game Room}
Blue Wish Resurrection {x.x Game Room}
Blue Wish Resurrection Plus {x.x Game Room}
Cho Ren Sha 68k (2 versions) {Famibe No Yosshin}
Clean Asia! {Jonatan "Cactus" Soderstrom}
Dan! Da! Dan! {OMEGA}
Demolition Gunner: In Seek and Destroy {Dark Hell Company}
Eden's Aegis {x.x Game Room}
Eden's Edge {x.x Game Room}
Endless Fire (beta) {??}
eXceed 2nd (demo) {Tennen-Sozai}
GENETOS {Tatsuya Koyama}
Green Wind {x.x Game Room}
Gwange Dash {??}
Hydorah {Locomalito}
Kaikan {Kigekiyahonpo}
Nomltest-FS {Kei Mesuda}
Psyche Metal the Bleeding {Dark Hell Company}
Radio Zonde {Inudon Empire}
Ray-Hound {HikWare}
Shooters Solitude {Hizoka.T.Ohkubo}
La Souer de Barrage {Tocoroten}
Suwako no Danmaku Pyonpyon Daisansaku {UTG Software}
Tobitsuki {??}
Warning Forever {Hizoka.T.Ohkubo}
XOP Black Ultra {Christopher "Udderdude" Emirzian}
Zen-Ichi {Equinox Development}
Bullet Philiharmonic Orchestra {shinichiro.h}
Fuzetsu {Jos "oNyx" Hirth}
GR3 Re-Death {GR3 Project}
GR3 {GR3 Project}
MiniShooterRS Delta {peposoft}
Siroi Danmakukun {shinichiro.h}
Val & Rick {Kenta Cho / ABA Games}
XED {??}

[Kenta Cho Games] {Kenta "Saba" Cho / ABA Games}:
A7Xpg
Gunroar
Noiz2sa
Parsec47
rRootage
Tumiki Fighters
Torus Trooper
Titanion

[XP]:
PriZhm: Fantastic Side Scrolling STG {RezetiA}
Flew Fighter {Omegalev}
G-Type {CnC Darkside}
Hisyou {SPRITE}
Leiria: The Chaste Full-Metal Maiden {Nonlinear}
Leiria 2: Stargazer {Nonlinear}
Life Fortress Volcabamba {Zakuro Fantasia}
MiniShooterRS Delta (duplicate?) {peposoft}
Osorubeshi! Xaklogian {gyonin}
WARMACHINE OVERLOAD {Dark Hell Company}
Xadlak Plus {SPRITE}
Zillion Beats {RezetiA}

[XP/Patches]:
Banshiryuu {Shunsatsu Sare Do? / Amusement Makers}
eXceed 2nd: Vampire Rex 1.02 (demo, duplicate?) {Tennen-Sozai}
eXceed 3rd: Jade Penetrate 1.03 (demo) {Tennen-Sozai}
Akashicverse (2 versions) {Endless Shirafu}
Infinos Gaiden {Picorrine Soft}
Hellsinker (demo, 2 versions) {Ruminant's Whimper}
TWilight refrAIN 2.00 (2 versions) {??}
Vampire Castle 1.5 {RezetiA}
Zillion Beats 1.30 (patch) {RezetiA}
EDIT: Not going to maintain this list any longer. Big thanks to uploaders including the information in file names! :cool:

EDIT: To anybody concerned about compatibility issues, I can confirm that the majority of these games work on my Windows 10, non-Japanese-language system. Fairly sure I installed some DirectX fix (I can't find it just now, sorry) as a pre-emptive measure. Also, having just an Xinput controller, e.g. Xbox360, may limit your control options (HID was the standard back then).
Last edited by Krushal on Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 14 times in total.