JAMMA > 240p?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
shmupsrocks

JAMMA > 240p?

Post by shmupsrocks »

Is there much JAMMA hardware out there in resolutions greater than 240p? I just found out that Atomiswave is 640x480 which got me wondering.
Fudoh

Re: JAMMA > 240p?

Post by Fudoh »

In general it covers a multitude of 15khz resolutions. This includes 240p, but can stretch the timing to 255p (Irem Boards) with a lower refresh rate than usual instead. 480i is included as well of course.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

I see. What else is out there at 480i?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Sega had a JVS to Jamma kit available, which was used to run Naomi on Jamma cabs (in 480i).

480i certainly wasn't standard for arcade games, but early PCBs date back to stuff like Popeye by Nintendo.

Some of the Namco System 12 titles (Tekken 3, TTT, Rival Schools) was running in 480i as well.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

There were a number of 384p jamma boards too. Not the large dedicated stuff like Model 2. The older sprite based ega boards like Narc and Paper Boy.

A lot of 480p arcade boards also had 480i options so they could be used on regular cabs or for their deluxe cab versions with 480i only crt rear projection tv's. Namco 246 games like Time Crisis 3 and Sega Naomi titles likes Capcom VS SNK 2 all had 480i options.

I have seen "Jamma adapters" too, to use non-jamma games on regular jamma cabs. This was common.

There is nothing specifically about the jamma standard that prevents the use of higher resolutions. It's just that a jamma edge is usually wired for RGBS and 480p stuff usually outputs RGBHV.

Some later titles offered both a jamma edge and a standard DB15 port output. E.g. America's Army.

There was / is any number of HD multi-game PCBs with standard Jamma edges outputting 480p (or higher) but these are usually just mame PCs on a PCB.
PinoBatch

Post by PinoBatch »

Dance Dance Revolution, Guitar Freaks, and DrumMania games run on PS1-based System 573 (everything up through DDR Extreme: 8th Mix, GF 11th Mix, and DM 10th Mix). At least the DDR games run menus in 480i and gameplay in 240p.
Last edited by PinoBatch on Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

G-Net is 240p right?
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

PinoBatch wrote:Dance Dance Revolution, Guitar Freaks, and DrumMania games run on PS1-based System 573 (everything up through DDR Extreme: 8th Mix, GF 11th Mix, and DM 10th Mix). At least the DDR games run menus in 480i and gameplay in 240p.

Is Dance Dance Revolution a jamma board? I always assumed it was a dedicated cab.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Classicgamer wrote:
PinoBatch wrote:Dance Dance Revolution, Guitar Freaks, and DrumMania games run on PS1-based System 573 (everything up through DDR Extreme: 8th Mix, GF 11th Mix, and DM 10th Mix). At least the DDR games run menus in 480i and gameplay in 240p.

Is Dance Dance Revolution a jamma board? I always assumed it was a dedicated cab.
JAMMA is a wiring standard. It doesn't mean that a game is or is not in a dedicated cabinet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Amu ... ssociation
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Gradius IV is both JAMMA and JVS. It does 24khz or 15khz through either. 24khz is really the only way to play though.

Sega System 24 is 24khz only and uses a standard edge connector design, though it uses Sys16 pinout and is therefore not JAMMA.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

DejahThoris wrote:
Classicgamer wrote:

JAMMA is a wiring standard. It doesn't mean that a game is or is not in a dedicated cabinet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Amu ... ssociation

I know what jamma is but not all PCBs use the jamma wiring standard. The point of Jamma was for arcade owners to be able to use one cab for multiple games so they didn't have to go to the trouble of replacing the whole cab every time. They just switched the PCB.

You can take a Jamma PCB and connect it to the Jamma harness in any Jamma cab. A lot of dedicated cabs did not use a jamma edge though. They used custom controls wired directly to the PCB via custom I/O boards. Sega's Model 2 racing games, for example were dedicated cabs - as in cabs made for that one game. You can't connect a Daytona USA pcb to an old generic Street Fighter 2 cab. Jamma doesn't support analog controls.

Sellers of arcade boards often break them down into Jamma (any PCB with a jamma edge) and "non-jamma". Non-jamma includes older games (which can often connect to jamma via an adapter) and dedicated games with custom controls which often can't.

Anyway, this thread specifically asked about jamma pcbs and Dance Dance Revolution looks like it could be a dedicated non-jamma cab.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Classicgamer wrote:Anyway, this thread specifically asked about jamma pcbs and Dance Dance Revolution looks like it could be a dedicated non-jamma cab.
System 573 hardware, which runs DDR, Martial Beat, and a few others, is definitely JAMMA.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

nmalinoski wrote:
Classicgamer wrote:Anyway, this thread specifically asked about jamma pcbs and Dance Dance Revolution looks like it could be a dedicated non-jamma cab.
System 573 hardware, which runs DDR, Martial Beat, and a few others, is definitely JAMMA.
Along with tons of other "dedicated cabinet" hardware.

Again, there's no correlation between a cabinet being dedicated or having strange controls and being JAMMA or not.