Linuxbot3000 YPbPr to SCART Converter

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Classicgamer

Re: Linuxbot3000 YPbPr to SCART Converter

Post by Classicgamer »

Scart is used in standard cables for every console that has RGB output. It is also used on almost every Supergun so it would be stupid to make a device for video games that did not have scart input.

No connector is stupid. You just choose whichever one fits the port on your monitor. End of story.

The scart plug is actually a pretty convenient signal carrier. It can (and is) used for every signal a display can handle, all in one neat little cable. They are usually pretty sturdy too.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

The connector is a piece of shit mechanically. Its flimsy, unwieldy, stupid, and terrible
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Classicgamer wrote: No connector is stupid. You just choose whichever one fits the port on your monitor. End of story.

My monitor has BNC. I've never owned one with a SCART input.

:) I didn't know that was a thing. ;)

Don't know where the story ends, though.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

maxtherabbit wrote:The connector is a piece of shit mechanically. Its flimsy, unwieldy, stupid, and terrible
It's also easy to repeatedly modify/rewire/resolder by just unscrewing the cable cinch and unclipping the scart head, which is very useful for hobbyist applications. That is not true of DB15, and BNC has limitations in that you're unlikely to find standard BNC cables with enough conductors to handle audio, and there usually isn't any provision for power.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Flimsy: That's a factor of the individual manufacturer. I've never had any "flimsy" connectors with any of my RGC or RA scart cables
Unwieldy: That's subjective. I find the 5-cable squid of BNC/RCA to be a giant mess. And double checking that each connector is fully seated in the right port is more annoying to me than making sure a scart plug is seated. I can make sure all 20 of my scart connections in my entire setup are properly seated with a full palm press on each of my 3 gscartsw's. I also find that the uncertain spec of sync type and voltage on vga connectors terrifying. And usually the audio breakout of vga is unwieldy.
Stupid, and Terrible: That's really not calling out any specific faults

To each their own. But SCART for me makes far more sense than any other connector available.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

If you have discreet cabling for audio and video, there is never any need to take cables apart and modify them. There's also no reason to have power carried down a video cable either unless you are using sync strippers, which are ass anyway

In conclusion, merica
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Discrete cabling for audio and video sounds good until you realize that ultimately you're going to be using one of a variety of multi-out connectors found on consoles, and it's a heck of a lot easier to rewire a cable on the SCART end than the multiout end. I know you can theoretically open up a Nintendo multi-out connector, or a Sony multi-out connector, or a minidin-8 connector, and rewire that, but it's a heck of a lot harder.

Why might you want to do that? Because the pinout between different consoles or devices using the same connector is not always the same. PAL and NTSC Nintendo consoles don't use the same pinouts. The XRGB Mini Framemeister and the NESRGB don't use the same pinout (by default), despite using the same connector. Even when the pinout is consistent, you may want to rewire something. The PS 1/2/3 use the same connector/pinout, but depending on the console and configuration, you can have up to three different pins with sync on them. You've got s-video luma with sync on pin 5, you've got composite video with sync on pin 6, and you've sometimes got green with sync or luma with sync on pin 12. If you're using some sort of Playstation-to-discrete-BNC/RCA cable for the five or six signals that you actually need, what happens if you want to change which of those three pins the sync signal is pulled from?

The only way that "discrete" cables solve this problem completely is if you're willing to have 9 BNC or RCA connectors coming off your Playstation plug, or 10 from your Nintendo multi-out plug.

Power isn't always needed in video cables, but is useful. Sync strippers are one example, RGB-to-YPbPr transcoders are another example (HDRV cables use that, IIRC), maybe dreamcast cables (the RGC one has some sort of 8-pin chip in it)?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Why would I want a SCART cable that carries composite or svideo on the proper pins? That's an edge use case these days.

I guess that's good for an old European television set (probably want one with NTSC support?). Is that a common display choice these days?

Most monitors have BNC inputs. The OSSC doesn't accept composite or svideo at all, so I'll have to add an adapter to the chain and break those signals out of the SCART wire anyway. :)

I don't want or have composite and svideo wired to the SCART plug on my PlayStations. Those are extra wires no matter what.

But, I guess it depends on the particular user and setup.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Guspaz wrote:Discrete cabling for audio and video sounds good until you realize that ultimately you're going to be using one of a variety of multi-out connectors found on consoles, and it's a heck of a lot easier to rewire a cable on the SCART end than the multiout end.
I'm at the point where I believe that custom cables from multiout to sink devices are dumb, I think the future should be a dongle that just adapts the multiout of the console to a VGA and 3.5mm audio jack

Deal with whatever sync stripping you have to do in the dongle, and shoot out TTL c-sync or TTL separate sync. Then you can use $5 COTS cables (some of which are even coax on the RGB lines)

Or just don't use PAL consoles at all, and c-sync mod your playstations
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

orange808 wrote:Why would I want a SCART cable that carries composite or svideo on the proper pins? That's an edge use case these days.

I guess that's good for an old European television set (probably want one with NTSC support?). Is that a common display choice these days?

Most monitors have BNC inputs. The OSSC doesn't accept composite or svideo at all, so I'll have to add an adapter to the chain and break those signals out of the SCART wire anyway. :)

I don't want or have composite and svideo wired to the SCART plug on my PlayStations. Those are extra wires no matter what.

The PS1 doesn't output csync. You're either going to pull sync from composite video or s-video luma. Doing so from luma is probably the right move 90% of the time, but maybe you want to use a guncon and need to pass through composite video for that, or maybe or maybe you're trying to use a crosspoint that requires csync and that 5v would sure be handy to strip the video off the composite or luma lines so that you don't need to put a separate box between your PS1 and your crosspoint.

The point of SCART is not necessarily that you have everything wired up at all times, the point is that if you've got a fully populated multi-out connector and cable, you can easily rewire the SCART head however you like. Change which signal is used for sync, add a stripper, add a small female RCA cable coming out of the SCART head for a guncon, you can do that.

I'm not saying that everybody needs to modify every SCART cable, I'm saying that it's a nice option to have, and there are multiple instances where I took a SCART cable of some kind and modified the pinout somehow to fit a new purpose.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Guspaz wrote:
orange808 wrote:Why would I want a SCART cable that carries composite or svideo on the proper pins? That's an edge use case these days.

The PS1 doesn't output csync. You're either going to pull sync from composite video or s-video luma. Doing so from luma is probably the right move 90% of the time, but maybe you want to use a guncon and need to pass through composite video for that, or maybe or maybe you're trying to use a crosspoint that requires csync and that 5v would sure be handy to strip the video off the composite or luma lines so that you don't need to put a separate box between your PS1 and your crosspoint.

The point of SCART is not necessarily that you have everything wired up at all times, the point is that if you've got a fully populated multi-out connector and cable, you can easily rewire the SCART head however you like. Change which signal is used for sync, add a stripper, add a small female RCA cable coming out of the SCART head for a guncon, you can do that.

I'm not saying that everybody needs to modify every SCART cable, I'm saying that it's a nice option to have, and there are multiple instances where I took a SCART cable of some kind and modified the pinout somehow to fit a new purpose.
the guncon works with luma as sync, I've used it with component cables no problem
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Guspaz wrote:
Good point.

Then again, if we wanted to, we could use a Crosspoint to send composite, svideo, or RGB from a PlayStation to a monitor without rewiring anything at all. I can send composite down a green wire and loop it back through a sync stripper.

I guess the SCART cable looks neater until we break out all the wires out for the switch. That's true.

It depends on the setup. :)
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

orange808 wrote: It depends on the setup. :)
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

if there's no extron switch in your setup i don't even know you
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Guspaz wrote:The PS 1/2/3 use the same connector/pinout, but depending on the console and configuration, you can have up to three different pins with sync on them. You've got s-video luma with sync on pin 5, you've got composite video with sync on pin 6, and you've sometimes got green with sync or luma with sync on pin 12. If you're using some sort of Playstation-to-discrete-BNC/RCA cable for the five or six signals that you actually need, what happens if you want to change which of those three pins the sync signal is pulled from?
I would use a custom plug shroud like what Retro-Access is using and use a 2-positon sliding switch that would let me toggle between composite video and luma. (Or a 3-position switch if the plug shroud had enough room for a sync stripper.) I find it difficult to believe that someone is going to need all of composite, luma, and processed clean composite sync all at once.
When it comes to SCART, composite, luma, and clean composite sync for RGB all share the same pin, and chroma and red share the same pin, so you can't have a cable simultaneously wired for everything. The best you could do is toss in a 4PDT switch or whatever that switches between composite+RGB and S-Video. I think people buying into SCART these days are specifically looking for RGB, and they'll get what they want with an off-the-shelf SCART cable wired for RGB.
orange808 wrote:Most monitors have BNC inputs. The OSSC doesn't accept composite or svideo at all, so I'll have to add an adapter to the chain and break those signals out of the SCART wire anyway. :)
That's strange. I have 2 CRT monitors, 1 CRT television, four LCD monitors, and two LCD televisions in my household, and none of them have BNC. I haven't had a BNC-equipped monitor since I had a 90-pound 24" widescreen Trinitron monitor from the late '90s. If you're talking about broadcast or professional monitors, I'd believe that, but not monitors in general.
orange808 wrote:I don't want or have composite and svideo wired to the SCART plug on my PlayStations. Those are extra wires no matter what.
As mentioned, none of the PS1, PS2, or PS3 offer clean composite sync from their AV ports; unless you're going to cut traces and bridge in composite sync with a bodge wire, you're going to need at least composite video or luma connected, even if you end up running it through a sync stripper.
maxtherabbit wrote:if there's no extron switch in your setup i don't even know you
I used to have a CrossPoint in my setup that I used for splitting composite, S-Video, and YPbPr between my CRT and LCD, when I had them side-by-side; and for routing composite and S-Video to a Kramer RGB decoder, which looped into my YPbPr chain; but I moved, and now my CRT and LCD are in separate rooms (and I'm renting, so no chance of cutting holes in the wall or floor for cables). These days, I do all my gaming on the LCD, and, if I want to use the CRT, I'll disconnect the console from my normal setup and carry it over.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Yes, I referenced my little PVM. Although, I think you knew that. :)

You're right, having access to all the video outputs is overkill, but it's nice to know I can do it if I want to.

I probably spend more time playing around with my gear than I do actually playing games.. :oops:
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

DirkSwizzler wrote:Flimsy: That's a factor of the individual manufacturer. I've never had any "flimsy" connectors with any of my RGC or RA scart cables
Unwieldy: That's subjective. I find the 5-cable squid of BNC/RCA to be a giant mess. And double checking that each connector is fully seated in the right port is more annoying to me than making sure a scart plug is seated. I can make sure all 20 of my scart connections in my entire setup are properly seated with a full palm press on each of my 3 gscartsw's. I also find that the uncertain spec of sync type and voltage on vga connectors terrifying. And usually the audio breakout of vga is unwieldy.
Stupid, and Terrible: That's really not calling out any specific faults

To each their own. But SCART for me makes far more sense than any other connector available.
I agree that build quality varies by manufacturer (as it does with all cables) but overall the scart plug design is easily the most robust of the three commonly used for rgb. It's pins are at least twice the size of a db15 pin and it's wider surface area makes it far harder to bend and rip.

I regularly use all three. They all have small and largely immaterial benefits. There is no sane reason to have strong feelings for one over the others. If I could standardize all my monitors, I'd also go with scart as you can use any rgb console with no further adapters. You rarely see rgb BNC or DB15 cables made for 15khz consoles. But, it's only a slight preference as scart to BNC and Scart to DB15 adapters are easy to buy or make.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Classicgamer wrote:The scart plug is actually a pretty convenient signal carrier. It can (and is) used for every signal a display can handle, all in one neat little cable. They are usually pretty sturdy too.
SCART really is garbage as a connector overall. Yes, great to have audio + video in the same connector. Yes, great that they're massive enough to have all that wasted room where you can add a sync stripper and/or resistors and such inside the head itself....but it's also the ONLY connector in my entire setup where I have to use electrical tape to hold 2x SCART connectors (like 10x of them) together so they don't randomly fall apart. Had to use multiple zip ties in creative ways to get pressure on both my OSSC, XRGB-Mini, and SB-2840 so the SCART plug doesn't randomly fall out all the time. Had to CHANGE THE FRIGGIN WIRING on MULTIPLE pins depending on the direction it's being used (like, really?). Had to add resistors to the sync line because SCART equipment is usually wimpy and can't handle TTL level sync. Had to add a friggin micro-usb cell phone charger to the 5v pin to get a TV to switch into RGBS mode (ok, I gave up on that and wired a custom 9-pin connector which didn't need that, but still, annoying ;) It's also the only one which I've ever actually broken when I accidentally stepped on it (I've stomped the crap out of my VGA and BNC connectors and they ask for more).

nmalinoski wrote:That's strange. I have 2 CRT monitors, 1 CRT television, four LCD monitors, and two LCD televisions in my household, and none of them have BNC. I haven't had a BNC-equipped monitor since I had a 90-pound 24" widescreen Trinitron monitor from the late '90s.
See, I find the above strange ;) I have 26 CRT's: 17 monitors, 5x consumer TV's, 2x PC monitors, 2x video wall monitors. 19 have BNC's - that's 76%! (and for full disclosure: 2x VGA-only, 2x Composite only, 3x YPbPr, and only a single measly one with a SCART plug ;)

maxtherabbit wrote:if there's no extron switch in your setup i don't even know you
This. Anybody who doesn't, likes to use CRT's (because lets be real – even the best upscalers are still WAY shy of the video quality of a nice CRT), and has a good size retro gaming setup complete with transcoders/converters/etc, is doing a MAJOR disservice to themselves if they don't have a Crosspoint.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

I switched every single console to component running into an 8:2 gcompsw, with one output going to a PVM and one output going to an OSSC. If I need more inputs, I can chain in my 4:1 gcompsw, or buy another 8:2. If you think a SCART connector is needlessly oversized, a Crosspoint is a pretty absurdly wastefully large in comparison, with no obvious benefits or advantages if you don't need matrix switching (and who really does, I can only play one game at a time), plus finicky sync requirements, and silly custom audio connectors ;)
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Guspaz wrote:I switched every single console to component running into an 8:2 gcompsw, with one output going to a PVM and one output going to an OSSC. If I need more inputs, I can chain in my 4:1 gcompsw, or buy another 8:2. If you think a SCART connector is needlessly oversized, a Crosspoint is a pretty absurdly wastefully large in comparison, with no obvious benefits or advantages if you don't need matrix switching (and who really does, I can only play one game at a time), plus finicky sync requirements, and silly custom audio connectors ;)
Yeah. I've got 17 (22 if you count RF which I don't leave hooked up all the time) analog consoles, and 6 hdmi ones.
All the analog ones use SCART unless RGB isn't well supported.
Wii, Xbox, and PSP are component. All hooked up to a gcompsw. Which feeds into a modded garo to become RGBS
My 3DO is still S-Video. Connected to a gcompsw along with my RF to composite transcoder. These go through a composite/s-video to RGBS transcoder.

All that RGBS stuff goes into 3 gscartsw's that clean up sync a bit when necessary so I've got csync across the board.

All that goes to my 1 PVM and OSSC. From OSSC it's combined with the 6 hdmi consoles to flatscreen tv and computer monitor.

The end result? I pick a thing to play and turn it on. It's now on every screen that supports it's output. Easy enough that I can explain it's operation to my kids.

And in that entire setup there's no electrical tape or zip ties keeping scart connectors together. The only time they come loose is when I'm rewiring things nearby. Which also happens for my RCA connectors.

What exactly am I missing out on by not having a giant crosspoint? I will grant you that a crosspoint is cheaper for now. But it's definitely a giant headache for my use case and there will definitely come an inflection point where crosspoints are more expensive than my setup.
strygo

Post by strygo »

Alright, time to get this thread back on track. :D

The results I observed tonight were consistent with what I saw last week. In this round of testing, I no longer used the EDTV at all. I tested 3 specific chains:

1. Component -> OSSC -> DSC 301 -> Vizio 4K: In this sequence, there was no color space conversion prior to the OSSC.
2. Component -> Linuxbot3000(RGB) -> OSSC -> DSC 301 -> Vizio 4K: In this sequence, YPbPr was converted to RGB via the Linuxbot3000 and then routed to the OSSC.
3. Component -> Linuxbot3000(RGB) -> Shinybow(YPbPr) -> OSSC -> DSC 301 -> Vizio 4K: This was to confirm my observations the other night. Two colorspace conversions, mostly to test the effects of the Shinybow on a digital display.

Screenshots are here:

https://imgur.com/a/jIVcPRb

I observed the following:

1. No discernible visual differences between the Linuxbot3000 and direct.
2. The Linuxbot3000 caused the 720p Xbox signal to be offset to the left. I was able to correct this by adjusting the h.synclen on the OSSC. If anyone has an idea why this cropped up, please let me know.
3. The Shinybow again produced noticeably worse output on three dimensions: 1) the image was blurrier, 2) the black levels were much brighter, and 3) had difficulty syncing a couple systems (Xbox 720p, Wii 480p - you'll notice those screenshots missing). If anything, the Shinybow results were worse than I'd previously observed. Until now, I only used this device for outputting to 2 consumer CRTs (the HS420 and an FV310) -- both of these were more forgiving than this digital path.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the Linuxbot3000 YPbPr to SCART and I continue to recommend it. As I mentioned before, the build quality is great and it's a reasonable price. I'll be retiring the Garo+Kenzei combo permanently.

For SCART to YPbPr, I should be receiving the new RetroTink RGB2Comp device tomorrow, so I will test that in place of the Shinybow. If by chance it doesn't address my issues, I may check out the Linuxbot SCART to YbPbPr (he happened to be out of stock this week).
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

thanks for the testrun! Very much looking forward to your findings on the retrotink as well, although I expect Mike to made sure that there's no visible difference between component and scart sources when using his new toy.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

DirkSwizzler wrote: What exactly am I missing out on by not having a giant crosspoint? I will grant you that a crosspoint is cheaper for now. But it's definitely a giant headache for my use case and there will definitely come an inflection point where crosspoints are more expensive than my setup.
If I read your post correctly, you have 4 G switches. There's absolutely no way that a day will ever come where one surplus $50 crosspoint is more expensive than 4 $200 custom switchers.

You guys are also forgetting the concept of matrixing, what if you want to play something on the CRT while your girl or kids play something else on the flat screen? What do you do with your $$$ G switches then?

Also, for the size complaints, Extron makes matrix switchers with the same functionality as the crosspoint in A SINGLE RACK UNIT that have DE-15 I/O ports for video. They do max out at 8x8 but even two of them would be smaller than one crosspoint.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

maxtherabbit wrote:You guys are also forgetting the concept of matrixing, what if you want to play something on the CRT while your girl or kids play something else on the flat screen? What do you do with your $$$ G switches then?
Guspaz wrote:with no obvious benefits or advantages if you don't need matrix switching (and who really does, I can only play one game at a time)
I live alone, but if I didn't, then this scenario would still only happen if somebody else wanted to play a different retro console at the same time on a different display, which could then be accomplished by just plugging that console right into the OSSC. But that's not something that has ever happened to me.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Thanks for testing, strygo. :)

Looks like the Linuxbot3000 and a sync converter would be a good fit for me if my Kramer FC unit ever has issues.

edit: Oops. Got it backwards. I should be buying a Linuxbot3000 right now to replace Garo.

-------

About the Crosspoint:
It wasn't the cost of the switch that got me, it was the cost of all the cables. :) I have way too many video toys, so I can see why I'm an outlier.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

I'd wait for the retrotink box to come out before buying any YPbPr to RGB or RGB to YPbPr converter, at this point.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Guspaz wrote:I'd wait for the retrotink box to come out before buying any YPbPr to RGB or RGB to YPbPr converter, at this point.
Agreed, only downside is the SCART plug, but one adapter is a small price to pay for color accuracy
strygo

Post by strygo »

I hope the RetroTink models pan out - it would be great to finally have some solid alternatives on the market. If the performance matches and the price point is the same, my personal preference would be the make of the metal Linuxbot casing over the 3D printed cases of the RetroTink.

As for the Linuxbot devices, he sells two RGBHV models as well:

* YPbPr to RGBHV (in stock): https://www.ebay.com/itm/YPbPr-to-VGA-R ... 4014765120
* RGBHV to YPbPr (out of stock): https://www.ebay.com/itm/RGB-VGA-to-YPb ... 4012550538
ChuChu Flamingo

Post by ChuChu Flamingo »

I would also like to see more comparisons between RGB to component converters. I know in the past some shinybows had bad psus. Might be an edge case with a bad one just saying.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

maxtherabbit wrote:There's absolutely no way that a day will ever come where one surplus $50 crosspoint is more expensive than 4 $200 custom switchers.
That line of thinking totally panned out for CRTs too... Oh wait, no. It very much did not.
maxtherabbit wrote:You guys are also forgetting the concept of matrixing, what if you want to play something on the CRT while your girl or kids play something else on the flat screen?
Why would I purposefully avoid an opportunity to play a game with my kids? Passing on a cherished childhood experience with my own children. That sounds literally insane to me.
And to create that chance to skip playing with my kids. I have to pay a constant manual switching tax? No thanks.
maxtherabbit wrote:Also, for the size complaints, Extron makes matrix switchers with the same functionality as the crosspoint in A SINGLE RACK UNIT that have DE-15 I/O ports for video. They do max out at 8x8 but even two of them would be smaller than one crosspoint.
But in my case I'd need at least 3.

The point I'm getting at (and have been for several posts now) is that each person likes their setup for their own reasons.