gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ldeveraux

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by ldeveraux »

superg wrote: Purple / green image is weird. Check your component cable going from switch to screen. Unplug everything except green RCA, this carries sync and brightness so you should get BW image. Then add other video RCA one by one (blue then red). Have some color test patterns from 240p test suite or something similar.
If I pass through the DSC 301 HD, everything appears to work well. So false alarm I guess?
superg

Post by superg »

ldeveraux wrote: If I pass through the DSC 301 HD, everything appears to work well. So false alarm I guess?
I don't know, you're not giving me enough information. I presume other stuff works?
If it's only modded SNES, I'd say it's modded SNES problem. There are countless mods which might or might not work, I can't check everything nor I have to support every marginal mod out there. I can also come up with an explanation why stuff works directly but not through the switch, but that's not my point. If output is up to the specs - it will work, if not, there is no guarantee. SNES HD Retrovision cable is a good tested solution which will work.
superg

Post by superg »

I'm out of stock for both gscartsw and gcompsw, there will be more units in September.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Hi Superg, I had a weird issue occur yesterday for the first time ever on any gscartswitch (currently using the latest model I bought some months ago). My tv had red lines flying around the black background (when nothing was on other than the tv itself). I tried unplugging stuff and found the source to be the gscarts as it would go away when I unplugged the gscart. Then eventually I found the problem was the N64 itself had the led light on eventhough the system was off (using original power plug, and system has been checked in good condition in terms of parts a couple years ago). I vaguely recall hearing that this kind of thing can happen (an active switch box sending power back to the system when off), but I never thought it would happen with some high quality product like the gscartswitch (by far my preferred switch box obviously). Have you ever encountered this kind of behavior before?
superg

Post by superg »

Taiyaki wrote:Hi Superg, I had a weird issue occur yesterday for the first time ever on any gscartswitch (currently using the latest model I bought some months ago). My tv had red lines flying around the black background (when nothing was on other than the tv itself). I tried unplugging stuff and found the source to be the gscarts as it would go away when I unplugged the gscart. Then eventually I found the problem was the N64 itself had the led light on eventhough the system was off (using original power plug, and system has been checked in good condition in terms of parts a couple years ago). I vaguely recall hearing that this kind of thing can happen (an active switch box sending power back to the system when off), but I never thought it would happen with some high quality product like the gscartswitch (by far my preferred switch box obviously). Have you ever encountered this kind of behavior before?
This is not possible with the current gscartsw design. SCART pin 8 / pin 16 are both disconnected from every input (pins which are connected to console power circuit). Check your N64 cable and console itself, something is going on there.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Thanks for the prompt reply. Glad to know it's not the gscart. When I spotted this issue the only way I found to stop it was to turn the console "on" and "off" again, and then the led light was off and the red lines gone. It hasn't happened since but if it does I'll have to check the inside of the console. The cable is a bit old but it's from retro access (maybe 5 or so years old). Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can scart cables go bad after a while? lol
superg

Post by superg »

Taiyaki wrote:Thanks for the prompt reply. Glad to know it's not the gscart. When I spotted this issue the only way I found to stop it was to turn the console "on" and "off" again, and then the led light was off and the red lines gone. It hasn't happened since but if it does I'll have to check the inside of the console. The cable is a bit old but it's from retro access (maybe 5 or so years old). Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can scart cables go bad after a while? lol
Somebody here mentioned some time ago that his console with RGB mod was outputting sync even when turned off. I don't remember which one it was though.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

superg wrote:
Taiyaki wrote:Thanks for the prompt reply. Glad to know it's not the gscart. When I spotted this issue the only way I found to stop it was to turn the console "on" and "off" again, and then the led light was off and the red lines gone. It hasn't happened since but if it does I'll have to check the inside of the console. The cable is a bit old but it's from retro access (maybe 5 or so years old). Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can scart cables go bad after a while? lol
Somebody here mentioned some time ago that his console with RGB mod was outputting sync even when turned off. I don't remember which one it was though.
Thanks. I'll have to examine the N64 if this happens again. With some luck was just a glitch when powering off that the system didn't shut off properly the first time.
shawly

Post by shawly »

Is there any EU reseller for the gscartsw? Would be nice because there would be no need for the package to go through customs then..
ItsACerealWow

Post by ItsACerealWow »

Hi SuperG-

I'm having an issue daisy chaining my gcompsw v1.1 (4:1) into the newest gcomp (8:2). When both switches are powered on (but no consoles are powered on), my TV flashes and flickers until a console is powered on, at which point there doesn't seem to be any noticable noise or interference. If I power off the gcompsw 1.1, no flickering is displayed. Any idea what might be causing it? I don't own an oscilloscope to test signal voltages.
I'm also curious about the effects of LPF on the chain (does either/both gcomps apply a LPF? Don't HDR cables also have a built-in LPF? And if I were to use this setup later in conjunction with an OSSC, Retrotink, or Framemeister, don't they also have their own built-in LPFs? I've heard stacking too many LPFs can cause signal degradation. Similarly, is there any stacking of sync strippers in the chain that could cause image shifting beyond a pixel or two?
UPDATE: Bob from RetroRGB did a great job answering all my questions here on Supporter Q&A #72.

Currently, my set up is as follows:
Spoiler
gcompsw v1.1:
1: PS1 (HDR)
2: PS2 (HDR)
3: PSP (Sony OEM component)
4: (unused)
output: gcompsw 8:2 (HDR)

gcompsw:
1: SNES (HDR)
2: Genesis (HDR)
3: Saturn (HDR)
4: Wii (Nintendo OEM)
5: Gamecube (Nintendo OEM)
6: Xbox (Microsoft OEM Component Box + HDR)
7: Dreamcast (Retroaccess SCART + Shinybow + HDR - Shinybow is left UNPLUGGED unless in use because it seems to generate a signal even if the Dreamcast powered off)
8: gcompsw 1.1 (HDR)
output 1: Sony Trinitron WEGA KV-32FS100 (HDR)
output 2: Sony Trinitron PVM-1353MD (HDR)

(I'm using all OEM or HDR cables wherever possible to minimize any potential issues from bad cables)
tl;dr - Chaining the older 4-port gcompsw into the latest 8-port gcompsw seems to display some type of noise or interference when no console is powered on.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Last edited by ItsACerealWow on Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrPete1985

Post by MrPete1985 »

Hi superg

Got my gcompsw setup and love it, makes switching console so much easier and love that it does component and composite.

I already filled the switch and was wondering if I buy a second one is it OK to daisy chain them together or will that cause an issue?

Also would love to see an HDMI switch from you in the future
Estryark

Post by Estryark »

Hi is there a way to preorder the gscartsw without immediately paying the $180 upfront?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

MrPete1985 wrote:Hi superg

Got my gcompsw setup and love it, makes switching console so much easier and love that it does component and composite.

I already filled the switch and was wondering if I buy a second one is it OK to daisy chain them together or will that cause an issue?

No problem chaining, you just lose a port.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Estryark wrote:Hi is there a way to preorder the gscartsw without immediately paying the $180 upfront?
It's $220, not $180. I think Paypal Credit is the only way to do that.
PixelDharma

Post by PixelDharma »

ldeveraux wrote:
MrPete1985 wrote:Hi superg

No problem chaining, you just lose a port.
You do gain a third output though, for half your devices anyway. Anyone out there have any creative use for it? :lol:
ErebusMaligan

Post by ErebusMaligan »

ldeveraux wrote: You do gain a third output though, for half your devices anyway. Anyone out there have any creative use for it? :lol:

I use the extra output from my first switch to output to a dvdo VP50 just for 480i content deinterlacing.

Then the two outputs on my second switch (which isn't a a gcompsw because I need selectable output so I can loop the vp50 output back in) go to an ossc and a framemeister (which i never use anymore)

I know the framemeister could just deinterlace... but meh. The framemeister's A/D conversion noise issues really bug me.
Figbash

Post by Figbash »

Hi, I have a gscartsw_lite 1.5 and it suddenly won’t work anymore. The power supply seems fine (it powers some speakers with similar specs) and it’s worked for a couple years with no issues. The green LED is not turning on at all and nothing is switching.
superg

Post by superg »

Figbash wrote:Hi, I have a gscartsw_lite 1.5 and it suddenly won’t work anymore. The power supply seems fine (it powers some speakers with similar specs) and it’s worked for a couple years with no issues. The green LED is not turning on at all and nothing is switching.
What consoles did you have connected?
Figbash

Post by Figbash »

superg wrote:
Figbash wrote:Hi, I have a gscartsw_lite 1.5 and it suddenly won’t work anymore. The power supply seems fine (it powers some speakers with similar specs) and it’s worked for a couple years with no issues. The green LED is not turning on at all and nothing is switching.
What consoles did you have connected?
A Genesis Model 1, SNES 1-chip, Japanese Saturn, Neo Geo AES, PlayStation 1. I’ve only been using the Genesis for the past month though, nothing else has been powered up. They’re all cables from RGC if that makes a difference.
superg

Post by superg »

Figbash wrote: A Genesis Model 1, SNES 1-chip, Japanese Saturn, Neo Geo AES, PlayStation 1. I’ve only been using the Genesis for the past month though, nothing else has been powered up. They’re all cables from RGC if that makes a difference.
Hmm, your consoles should be fine. PM sent.
goldenpp72

Post by goldenpp72 »

Hello, I had a few questions I was hoping could be answered here. First, I just put in an order for the Component Switch and wanted to make sure it should work on my setup. I use a framemeister going to the TV and currently have 2 manual component cable selectors to do the job for 5 systems. I assume this one switch should work just fine in that setup?

Next and a bit unusual of a question. I actually bought 2 of those scart switches a long time ago and they work brilliantly. I have a modded intellivision though that can not run through it and has to be plugged right into the framemeister. Any suggestions on a solution or just live with it?

Lastly I also own 6 s- video based systems and can't seem to find a 6 input selector for s-video that would also br automatic. Anyone have experience on a good one if it exist? That's all I have hopefully, thanks a lot!
SirNickity

Post by SirNickity »

Just ordered a gscartsw and waiting for stock. :-D I have way too many consoles for one 8x2 switch, so I'm going to need a second one, or a gcompsw instead, and so I'm trying to get a handle on how best to deal with chaining and multiplexing.

1) Does the gscartsw do anything with CVBS or Y/C channels on the SCART connector? (I'm assuming it does not.)

2) What is safe and reasonable WRT re-using channels for other signals? If I had to guess, I would wager the gcompsw and gscartsw likely use the same electrical path for the composite and sync inputs, respectively. Is that the case? I.e., can I use them interchangeably regardless of which form factor I buy?

2b) What's a reasonable way to pass S-Video? Y on sync, C on any color channel? Or maybe Y on green instead?

3) I saw the EXT pinout in a prior post, but just wondering if there's more info on how to use that properly? I spent a while searching but came up empty. I'm planning to build a microcontroller-based switch management ... thing ... for this and my (serial-controlled) HDMI switch boxen. I thought I read somewhere the binary input pins are directly connected to the FPGA and want 3.3V logic, yes? Active high? (I.e., [2:0] == LLL == channel 1 or 8 selected?) There's also the Override pin ... is that like a R/W input? I thought I saw something about READING the selected input over the header, so are [2:0] meant to be used with a tri-state interface for reading, and then you drive them and pull Override low to force an input, or something like that?
superg

Post by superg »

goldenpp72 wrote:Hello, I had a few questions I was hoping could be answered here. First, I just put in an order for the Component Switch and wanted to make sure it should work on my setup. I use a framemeister going to the TV and currently have 2 manual component cable selectors to do the job for 5 systems. I assume this one switch should work just fine in that setup?
You use your Framemeister component input, right? It should work just fine.
goldenpp72 wrote: Next and a bit unusual of a question. I actually bought 2 of those scart switches a long time ago and they work brilliantly. I have a modded intellivision though that can not run through it and has to be plugged right into the framemeister. Any suggestions on a solution or just live with it?
gcompsw has composite inputs (Yellow) and it can forward it automatically. You will still have to switch your Framemeister inputs using a remote though.
goldenpp72 wrote: Lastly I also own 6 s- video based systems and can't seem to find a 6 input selector for s-video that would also br automatic. Anyone have experience on a good one if it exist? That's all I have hopefully, thanks a lot!
You can use gscartsw with S-Video SCART adapters but that's not very convenient.
superg

Post by superg »

SirNickity wrote: 1) Does the gscartsw do anything with CVBS or Y/C channels on the SCART connector? (I'm assuming it does not.)
There is processing on CVBS (sync regeneration) and Green channel if it's sync on green. All sync processing can be turned off using DIP switches if desired.
SirNickity wrote: 2) What is safe and reasonable WRT re-using channels for other signals? If I had to guess, I would wager the gcompsw and gscartsw likely use the same electrical path for the composite and sync inputs, respectively. Is that the case? I.e., can I use them interchangeably regardless of which form factor I buy?
gcompsw doesn't have any sync processing, gscartsw does. If you don't need sync features you can use gcompsw for everything but practically you might need gscartsw if you use SCART consoles. Anyways it would be a pain to manage the connection adapters. The best advice is either to go all SCART and get gscartsw or go all Component and go gcompsw.
SirNickity wrote: 2b) What's a reasonable way to pass S-Video? Y on sync, C on any color channel? Or maybe Y on green instead?
For newest gscartsw it doesn't matter, it detects sync on both CVBS and Green channels. Same is gcompsw.
SirNickity wrote: 3) I saw the EXT pinout in a prior post, but just wondering if there's more info on how to use that properly? I spent a while searching but came up empty. I'm planning to build a microcontroller-based switch management ... thing ... for this and my (serial-controlled) HDMI switch boxen. I thought I read somewhere the binary input pins are directly connected to the FPGA and want 3.3V logic, yes? Active high? (I.e., [2:0] == LLL == channel 1 or 8 selected?) There's also the Override pin ... is that like a R/W input? I thought I saw something about READING the selected input over the header, so are [2:0] meant to be used with a tri-state interface for reading, and then you drive them and pull Override low to force an input, or something like that?
Yes, EXT override and port selector inputs are connected through a resistor to Altera IC (3.3V). Override logic high means that you can set the input, override logic low is for reading the currently selected input. Basically you got it right. True, there is not much information on that as I don't think there is anybody who uses it ;). If you're confident you need it I will help you with that.
SirNickity

Post by SirNickity »

OK, that helps a little. Maybe it would be better if I just list what I have, and what I want to happen...

I have 8x consoles with RGBS on SCART (thanks to Retro Gaming Cables). So that's one gscartsw 100% full.
I also have a Wii, PS2, Xbox, NES, Famicom that I will be AV-modding, and a GameCube that I will eventually mod with HDMI, but until then I'm stuck with either S-Video or composite.

So, 8x RGBS SCART, 3x RCA component (two of which can be SCART), 2x RCA composite, 1x S-Video (or composite if I must...)

On the output end, I have an OSSC (SCART), and a PVM (three physical inputs: composite, S-Video, RGBS / YPbPr).

In the end, I would probably be better off buying a second gscartsw and converting the Wii component cables to SCART, since I already have a set of SCART cables for the PS2 and the Xbox.

That leaves me with composite and S-Video to deal with. It sounds like the switch won't mind having CVBS through a Green channel (right? enough bandwidth for the chroma carrier, too?), and for S-Video I can put Y on Green and C on Blue... However, this might end up causing more trouble than it's worth, since the OSSC won't handle those properly, and I would have to break out my Green channel at the PVM to both composite and S-Video Y inputs. The input are auto-terminating, but maybe it's not a great idea to run three in parallel even if they're relatively high impedance... I'm not that well-versed in video.

So I'm just trying to figure out whether I would be better off wasiting 5 channels on a gscartsw and adding a simple S-Video switchbox, or go ahead and shoe-horn those all into a second gscartsw.
Yes, EXT override and port selector inputs are connected through a resistor to Altera IC (3.3V). Override logic high means that you can set the input, override logic low is for reading the currently selected input. Basically you got it right. True, there is not much information on that as I don't think there is anybody who uses it ;). If you're confident you need it I will help you with that.
Makes perfect sense. I'll just use the +5V out with an LDO to an ATtiny to do the logic switching. (It'll get its orders from an upstream controller probably via opto-isolated serial because I'm going to bet ground will be all over the place with this many devices connected together.) Thanks!
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

The Wii, PS2, Xbox and GameCube can all do component out-of-the-box (well, GameCube via either the digital component cables, or the HDRV cables on a PAL unit), and the NES/Famicom can do component via the NESRGB combined with either its component add-on board or the HDRV cables. They can all go RGB too.

There are a few ways to set it up, but you should be able to accomplish everything using either all RGB, all component, or a mix of the two, using either two scartsw, or two gcompsw, or one gscartsw and one gcompsw with maybe a retrotink adapter in between them.

There isn't any point in HDMI modding a GameCube unless your model lacks the digital port. You can just get a Carby.
goldenpp72

Post by goldenpp72 »

superg wrote:
goldenpp72 wrote:Hello, I had a few questions I was hoping could be answered here. First, I just put in an order for the Component Switch and wanted to make sure it should work on my setup. I use a framemeister going to the TV and currently have 2 manual component cable selectors to do the job for 5 systems. I assume this one switch should work just fine in that setup?
You use your Framemeister component input, right? It should work just fine.
goldenpp72 wrote: Next and a bit unusual of a question. I actually bought 2 of those scart switches a long time ago and they work brilliantly. I have a modded intellivision though that can not run through it and has to be plugged right into the framemeister. Any suggestions on a solution or just live with it?
gcompsw has composite inputs (Yellow) and it can forward it automatically. You will still have to switch your Framemeister inputs using a remote though.
goldenpp72 wrote: Lastly I also own 6 s- video based systems and can't seem to find a 6 input selector for s-video that would also br automatic. Anyone have experience on a good one if it exist? That's all I have hopefully, thanks a lot!
You can use gscartsw with S-Video SCART adapters but that's not very convenient.
Yes I run my current Component splitter through the D-sub port on the back of the Framemeister, just looking to remove the 2 I have daisy chained in favor of the one you make which I ordered. Sounds like it should work! For my second point I might not have conveyed my point well, my Intellivision 2 is actually modded to support Scart, so I can plug it right into the Framemeister scart port through the euro adapter but it doesn't work if I use it through one of your switches. I assume this is some kind of issue with the mod on the Intellivision 2 having too weak of a signal, and was wondering if there is some kind of elegant work around for it. I assumed not but figured if anyone would know what it could be it would be you. I don't play it often anyways but the dream of a truly automated system is still there.

Lastly again, I just bought a nice automatic switch for S-Video but it only supports 5 ports and I would need a method to plug in a 6th. I remember years ago I bought an S-video to Scart plug but it just made the entire image black and white, is there any actually good way to convert the entire signal to either Scart or Component? That would basically allow my entire setup of 30 consoles to be automated primarily because of your switches.

I love your work btw, I actually have had a lot of people ask about them and for a time, I thought you no longer sold them. Glad I was able to find your stuff again!
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Recently got a gscartsw (v5.2) and I have to say I'm absolutely delighted with it. Thanks for making these.

My main use case is the active simultaneous output. It's invaluable if you want to capture while still playing on a CRT. Being able to switch between 8 sources just makes it all the better.

To my eyes, there's no signal degradation vs. directly connecting the video source. I've tried some rather cheap active switches/splitters and as expected, none nailed it (like this does). Some Extron device could do it I suppose, but I've not dabbled with them and cannot imagine those matching the build quality the gscartsw has. Besides, those don't have SCART I don't think. Although I don't love the SCART connector, an all-BNC solution would be impractical for me.

That said, I think it'd be cool if there were some succinct PDF handbook/specsheet thats easily findable. I've found some answers to my remaining questions in this thread (although I obviously didn't go over everything), but these are the ones I'm left with right now:
  • • What are the different statuses the LED can be in?
    • What does sync regeneration do? Does it clean up the signal (how?) / re-add it during V blank? Does it change the Vpp?
    • Is it compatible with both video level and TTL level signals? What's the max Vpp rating for continuous operation? Arcade sources etc.
    • Does the device introduce a noteworthy delay? I realize there's no ADC going on and probably sub-ms but would still be neat to know for sure
Keep up the good work :)
schmosef

Post by schmosef »

My gcompsw stopped working tonight.

I've had it for just under 2 months.

What's the best way to arrange an RMA? Should I PM superg?
superg

Post by superg »

schmosef wrote:My gcompsw stopped working tonight.

I've had it for just under 2 months.

What's the best way to arrange an RMA? Should I PM superg?
What did you have connected?
You can PM me.