D - the best fmv game for the upcoming Halloween! Part 2!

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
awbacon

D - the best fmv game for the upcoming Halloween! Part 2!

Post by awbacon »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG7A_IBEaBI&t=510s

I absolutely love D. It's weird, its quirky, it makes very little sense, and yet somehow its super charming and a game I come back to any play every few years. I mean it has vampires, a giant castle, and cannibalism!

Curious who else has played this, either when it originally came out or recently? The japanese versions for 3DO/Saturn/PS1 can be had for loose pocket change.
Last edited by awbacon on Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
guigui

Re: D - the best fmv game for the upcoming Halloween!

Post by guigui »

I love fmv, but is the language barrier an issue in the Japanese versions ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
drauch

Post by drauch »

There's also a GOG version if anyone wants to go that route. I'm not big on any game with a time limit, but I can still enjoy it for the atmosphere and obligatory spooky mansion.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

guigui wrote:I love fmv, but is the language barrier an issue in the Japanese versions ?
Barely. A few bits of dialog but trust me...not missing much!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Most of the dialog in D no Shokutaku is one guy yelling your name over and over again. The English voice-over is bad, but without it you REALLY don't know what the fuck is going on.

D is good for a playthrough I'd say. I never finished the sequel. Enemy Zero is occasionally decent if you have maps of the labyrinths beforehand (younger me snapped photos of the map terminals with my phone for reference!), but is ultimately a frustrating game that left a bad taste in my mouth with its final two featureless, landmark-less, soundtrack-less mazes that it seemed like half the game was padded into.

For both D and Enemy Zero, PC is the way to go (there are CD rips of Enemy Zero floating around for the taking).
Lordstar

Post by Lordstar »

No love for silent hill ?
Follow me on twitter for tees and my ramblings @karoshidrop
shmups members can purchase here http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21158
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

There's a whole thread for Silent Hill on the forums here (not bumped in a while). I would of course say "play Silent Hill before D" but hey, this topic is about FMV games for Halloween...

In that respect, maybe I can ""recommend"" the revamped releases of Corpse Killer and Night Trap? They both suck, but with FMV you're not asking for quality. 8) I have some "fond" memories suffering through Corpse Killer's bewilderingly bad gameplay on the Saturn. It's worth getting a few friends to witness the attack of the ultra-compressed two-frame gifs - I mean zombies. And the final boss is a .BMP slideshow. Nothing quite like Corpse Killer...
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

I’ve never beaten Corpse Killer. I’ve owned it forever but I can never hang with it till the wnd
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

It doesn't help that the game artificially inflates its difficulty by bum-rushing you with enemies that can only be killed by 'special' bullets that you don't have enough to get through the stages. That is, unless you grind (!!!) them out in 'bonus' stages over and over again. The game is cheap, and bullshit. Again: grinding in a "lightgun" (with no lightgun support) game.

But not without its charm. Don't take that necessarily as an endorsement.
BIL

Post by BIL »

EmperorIng wrote:But not without its charm. Don't take that necessarily as an endorsement.
TOM ZITO Presents

Shit games, but what an entertaining fellow Tom was. And is! Here's a re-enacted interview, delivered with all the feeling and panache Digital Pictures deserved. :cool: Highlight for our troubled age: "I'll give you a REAL PERSON to kill! That's better than DOOM or whatever!"
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

Sewer Shark was my favorite game on Sega CD when I got it for Christmas back in the day. Today I recognize how horrible it really is lol
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

Part 2

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MiDYVssdmD4

Here’s part 2...I withheld the actual ending in case you really want to play the game and haven’t had the chance yet! Super weird and super fun and super odd. Hope you enjoy
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

I love D. There isn't MUCH dialogue, but what little there is is pretty important, and it has a great plot twist.
awbacon wrote:I’ve never beaten Corpse Killer. I’ve owned it forever but I can never hang with it till the wnd
There is the updated HD version that just came out...

My favorite FMV game is either Night Trap or Double Switch, especially given the technical achievements of having all that simultaneous footage seamlessly blend together.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?